Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 90's Bracket;
Round1, MAtch 4

Forrest Gump
forrest_gump.jpg

vs.

Mission: Impossible
155226__tom14_l.jpg

Mission Impossible was a fun action film, and a strong performance by Tom Cruise, but Forrest Gump is an all-time classic.

Gump was one of the most clever films ever made. Taking the most important events in a span of 35 years of US history and telling them through their ONE common thread - a color blind Alabama Man with an IQ of 85 - was so inventive. And Tom Hanks NAILED this role. I think he garnered a lot of support in my old "Actors Who have Owned their Roles" thread.

Gump is a film like "A Few Good Men." Every time it's on AMC, I stop to watch it, even if it is 2:00 am.

Forrest fucking Gump. A magical movie, indeed. Mission: Impossible is a good movie in the action genre, but it doesn't reach any further. Gump reaches, then reaches further. It spans decades and genres and pulls the viewer in something crazy. It's one of the most unique films ever made. Tom Hanks is absolutely incredible. It should go very far in the tournament. Mission: Impossible is a great action movie, but nothing else. Gump wins easily.

Forrest Gump is one of the most magical pieces of work ever put to film. Tom Hanks and Gary Sinise are amazing in it, and like Irish said, the movie is so damn intelligent. The way they involved Forrest in all these important moments in our nation's history was spectacular. It's just one of those films that is over 2 and a half hours, long but after it's finish, you felt like you just sat through a great thirty minute television show and you want to come back next week to see more of it. It's rare to feel that way about a film.

Mission Impossible was good, but it's nothing compared to Gump.

Reactions: Tim
I can't even begin to think of just why Forrest Gump would lose to M:I other than the fact that there is the occasional explosion in the latter, and I liked M:I.

In Forrest Gump, you have a movie so memorable that everyone can remember lines from it (Life being like chocolate, Dreaming of Jennie and such), all done in a clever way which intermingles the life of Forrest with significant events in history and the impact one man (who isn't the sharpest tool in the shed) had.

Forrest Gump combines subtle humour with touching moments that, despite the ridiculous nature of the actions (teaching Elvis to dance) and just running...they work.

M:I has some nice action sequences and plenty of twists...but at the end of it all, it's more famous for it's themesong than being a cinematic masterpiece

I hate most Tom Hanks movies. That being said, his performance in Gump is one of the best I have ever seen. There are two roles I like him in, Gump and Robert Langdon. Mission Impossible is ok, but more memorable for my first high school mouth love than for the movie itself.

Gump takes the most important events in American History, and shows them from the perspective of someone who is thought of as less, but is probably more than the normal American. From Elvis, to Nixon, to Bear Bryant, and Ho Chi Minh, everything that was influential from the fifties through the 70's is explored. What a great film.

Mission Impossible: The only thing impossible about this movie was staying awake threw the whole thing. It was that bad. I attempted to watch this movie the first time it was released on VHS back in the day, I couldn't make it threw, it's a terrible flick.

Forrest Gump: Again, something I want to save my ammo for because I believe some misguided soul is going to forget the genius of the movie when faced with a far inferior movie. Forrest Gump is fucking awesome.

Forrest Gump had a real shot at being #1 in this decade. There is nothing missing from this movie. Hanks could not have been any more perfect for this role. He nailed it 1000%. The supporting cast is great. Sinese is amazing as Lieutenant Dan and compliments Gump perfectly. In my AP US class my teacher used this as a crash course in American History and it worked like a charm. There's so much in here from Watergate to the Smiley t-shirt. On the other hand, MI was the movie that recharged Tom Cruise. It was a good movie, but confusing enough to make it lose any underdog shot it had. MI2 was better anyway.

Forrest Gump all the way. An absolute gem if there ever was one. Tom Hanks is a genius when it comes to acting, he can take anything and mold it into awesomeness. He did that with this movie. Tom Hanks in this movie was like...peas and carrots, if you will. Mission Impossible is alright, nothing more than an explosion fest that I didnt get behind. This should really be a no brainer.

Forrest Gump. Without a doubt. The film is absolutely fantastic. Alan Silvestri's score suite is one of the most beautiful and yet simple themes in film history, and as far as the rest of the music goes, the film is a rare occurrence where it actually WORKS. Too many times in movies, the use of typical "not created specifically for the film" music is thrown in almost as if its a commercial, rather than part of the art. Generic rock music in a generic action film most likely wasn't chosen because it brings something extra to the table, but rather, its a song that's currently out and "its loud and they'll love it with the explosions and stuff". The music supervisor basically doesn't supervise, but rather, shoves it in your face. But with this film, the songs chosen actually do help reflect the time periods and the moods of the particular scenes and seeing as how the film is a character study, it makes perfect sense to experience the atmosphere Gump is experiencing. I could go on and on but I have a feeling I'll be discussing this movie in a very tight debate in the near future, so I'll save some of it.

Forrest Gump.

WTF?! Seriously? Are all of you blind to the genius of Mission Impossible?

LOL

kidding

Mission Impossible was decent for what it was, but then again so was Vertical Limit and The Mummy. Many of these action films only appeal to a certain side of a specific genre. Not saying that MI was a bad movie, but it really didn't offer must besides the effects, stuff blowing up, and people getting killed.

Forrest Gump on the other hand, IMO, refreshed the meaning of what a great movie was and stood for to the American audience. Forrest Gump showed an audience of people that was growing up used to special effects, violence, and overacting that you could have a simple, modest script and storyline and still make an impact. Going off what No Fate was saying, you don't really need so much "flare" to make an impact with a movie, or to make it special.

Forrest Gump gets my vote

How could Forrest Gump not win this? Easily one of my favourite movies. It was just the story of a simple Kid that's not very bright, and shows how he still grew up and made something of his life. Tom Hanks really owned the role, it looked like he actually was that person and had lived that person's life. It really is a magical movie, one of the all time classics. And who could forget the line "Life is like a box of chocolates"?

Maybe it's just me, but I hated Mission Impossible. Explosions and special effects do not a good movie make. I am usually a fan of action movies, but I actually feel asleep halfway through this one. And it takes a really bad movie to make me do that. And which movie would people remember more of, Mission Impossible or Forrest Gump? The only memorable moment in this movie is the theme song, as Polley said.

My most interesting class this semester is a class on Social History of the American 60s. Why is it interesting? Because Forrest Gump made it interesting. It compacted that time into a great two and a half or so hour long movie. Tom Hank's best role ever was in this movie, and he has done some good roles. I think this movie is the best movie of the 90s and is a movie I can watch again and again. Mission Impossible is good, but will not beat this giant. Props to MI though.

Forest Gump or Mission Impossible

sorry for the crappy pun but it is MISSION IMPOSSIBLE for MI to win

:icon_eek:
Ok I'm really sorry for the crap pun

Forest Gump all the way, not a doubt about it. It was an amazing film and I've seen it like 40 times and never get bored.

Forrest Gump get's a lot of shit. But it's a great film. Such a strong category that year that any of the films wouldn't probably have been scoffed at. Very clever. Mission Impossible is good, but even the 3rd is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back