Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 90's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 1

Schindler's List
schindlers%20list.jpg

vs.

Home Alone
293.home.alone.121107.jpg

If I even ATTEMPT to accurately sum up the GAP that exists between these two films, I'd be terrified of doing Schindler's List an injustice. It's one of the most powerful films ever made, and one I personally feel every person should watch in high school.

Home Alone managed to caputre the very essence of the family film. Holiday setting, funny premise, quasi-charming protagonist, goofy and bumbling antagonists, hilarity ensues. It has jokes the kids found funny, and jokes the parents enjoyed without feeling it was too "age inappropriate" for their children.

But Schindler's List was a work of art. It was film making mastery, and it told one of the most important stories of the last 100 years of World History. It was raw, unyielding, and unforgiving. And of course, the breakdown scene at the end where Oscar Schindler begins looking at each of his possessions in terms of how many people it could have saved - it just delivered one of the mostpowerful messages I've ever seen. The Schindler Jews still go to his gravesite and place rocks there each year in his memory.

Schindler's List will go VERY far in this tournament.

Tough, but the little girl with the red coat take this for me. Schindlers list is a great film; incredibly underrated. Everything from the acting to the historical context is brilliant. I can't praise this film enough.

Home alone is funny. The first time you watch it. I'm just not that into it. It's overrated a lot in my opinion and it defintely should have stopped at one. A great original concept, and more people will have seen it, therefore I expect it to end up going through. but I urge all of you now not to let this happen - Schindlers list is a classic and it can't be taken out so soon.

Ummm really? I guess the 90's were actually a weak decade for movies. Home Alone is ok, but it's a kid's movie. If we're doing that, where's The Lion King?

List is the one reason I consider film making an art. It is historically accurate, and moving. It takes the worst of human history, finds a silver lining, and shows you that even in the worst of times, the best of people will shine.

Haha... like with my "E.T." vs. "Beetlejuice" post, I know for a fact I've seen "Home Alone" twenty fucking times more then "Schindler's List", but that doesn't make "Home Alone" the better film.

"Schindler's List" is one of the greatest movies of all time and my favorite Spielberg film outside of "Empire of the Sun" (which I believe didn't make the tournament :( ). There are plenty of other movies I would vote over this though, but "Home Alone" isn't close to being on of them. "Schindler's List" was Spielberg finally walking away from his Peter Pan, shark, dinosaur, alien and other kiddy fascinations, and he did a hell of a job doing it. Most writer/directors who make that transition, more often then not, fail miserably, but Spielberg showed his range with this film and it couldn't have been better for him. It’s ten times the movie “The Color Purple” is and like I said, one of the greatest movies of all time. "Home Alone", while extremely fun and a classic in its own right, shouldn't stand a chance against it.

Wowza, not even close. Home Alone was enjoyable, but it is what it is, a goofy family Christmas movie, nothing more, nothing less.

Schindler's list is arguably Steve Spielbergs best film ever. Considering the quality of films that that man has made, to be put into that argument is a feat within itself. I'm not going to go all out on Schindler's List at this point, because I get the feeling some poor uneducated fool is going to trash it later on, I'll save my ammo for then.

God, how I hate Schindlers List. I really do. Sorry guys just not a fan.

Home Alone is funny, quirky, and just enjoyable to watch. That being said, I know the significance of Schindlers List. Its very powerful, and yes everyone should see it. I just found it boring. But it should go over in this one, even if I did like Home Alone ten times more, Schindlers List is possibly one of the best films ever.

Schindlers List by far.

I tried to get Home Alone as low as I could and it worked. Schindler's List is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Neeson is in the role he was born to play and is under the masterful work of Speilberg. I'll save the rest of that for later. On the other hand, Home Alone is a child's version of It's A Wonderful Life. While its entertaining, I like the second one better to be honest. Culkin is decent, but he's up against the potential winner of this tournament.

Ugh, I hate having to deny a movie that I enjoy watching a vote.

Home Alone is a great film for what its worth. Its perhaps the only Christmas movie that I make a point to watch every so often. Its humorous but it also has a touch of heart to it (and surprisingly not in an over-sappy way that 99% of films fall into the pit of). Whenever I hear "Carol of the Bells", I think of Home Alone. Home Alone has ingrained itself in my head with various references including Tic Tacs, macaroni & cheese, "a plain cheese pizza", tarantulas, etc. But in the overall scheme of things, despite it being a fantastic film, I'm going to have to vote for Schindler's List. This is the curse of Spielberg. The guy consistently makes films that are poignant enough that even if you aren't particularly fond of the topic, you still have to say "ah you bastard, I have to respect you for this". I've only seen Schindler's List one time, and one time was enough. I liked it, but it isn't the type of film I'd enjoy watching a second time, and it isn't due to the length or the tone or anything as I have no problem with anything of that sort. Truth be told, I think its the fact that I won't be able to get anything more out of it than I did the first time around. I think if I saw it again, I wouldn't respect it as much, because when I'm a fan of something, I analyze every little detail of it as much as I can, and I think that if I watched Schindler's List again, I'd grow to dislike it.

You know what? I've changed my mind. Since nobody has voted for Home Alone, and since I've been voting for so many other dark dramas, I feel its my responsibility to even out the playing field a little. It won't make much of a difference, as I don't see Home Alone winning this match, but for argument's sake...

Home Alone.

Too bad for it. Home Alone is a great movie. Every child has watched it. But you know how to make a child an adult? Watch Schindler's List with them. I think this is one of the reasons why I became a History Major. This movie is a fucking masterpiece. It brings the reality of World War 2, and I mean the reality, not the gun fights, not the ship battles, not The Atomic Bomb use, this brings the Holocaust into the audience's home. If I hadn't given my support to Gladiator already, This would get me pick. 90s movies are gonig to be huge in the tournament.

I agree with NoFate, Schindler's List is going to roll right through Home Alone in this match without much resistance (7 - 1 at the end of the first day) but that doesn't mean that Home Alone should be totally ignored, as it was an enjoyable film. I'll give my vote to Home Alone, if anything to cancel out the fact that I've already mostly supported dark dramas in this tournament LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back