Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 90's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 3

Pulp Fiction
pulp_fiction.jpg

vs.

The Blair Witch Project

sjff_01_img0066.jpg

If oyu saw Blair Witch the night it came out, like I did, it was an experience. When the kids who starred in the movie were all over TV the next day, it was ruined. Pulp Fiction is still an experience to this day. It was like four movies all in one, and the way it was all wrapped up at the end was beautiful. The frustrated professional having to deal with amateur bullshit gets me to this day. Pulp Fiction, and it's not close.

Really? I think The Blair Witch Project is actually pretty terrible. I really wasn't scared at all. Pulp Fiction, however is an amazing movie and could have a shot at going real far in this tournament. The shuffled story telling, the humor, the incredible dialogue, and the little things you have to look for every time make Pulp Fiction a landslide winner. All the performances are amazing, something I can't really say for The Blair Witch Project. Pulp Fiction is a landmark film that will be remembered for some time, I had already forgotten about Blair Witch.

It's scary how much of a romp this is going to be. With the cool dialouge and fun characters, Pulp Fiction is a film practically MADE for a wrestling fan.

Blair Witch, on the other hand, is an over rated peice of trash that was simply the victim of its own ingenious marketing scheme. The idea of doing Guerrilla Marketing to make the average movie goer believe this all ACTUALLY happened was awesome, and it created SUCH a buzz, even people who wouldn't have liked the film watched it to see what the buzz was about.

The result was a slow, boring, laborious docu-horror. The only good thing this film produced was the NC-17 spinoff "The Bare Wench Project." Classic.

I'm just going ahead saying that Pulp Fiction IS the better movie, there's no question about that. But I think BWP is getting a bit a bum wrap here. People need to remember that this movie was a cultural phenomenon. The reason some people trash it, is probably because they're mad that they fell for that ingenious marketing campaign. Some people may feel tricked. But really, it's all part of the story. The suspense, the terror in that movie is so intense, because it feels so real. Course, a lot of people thought it was real.

The movie starts a little slow, I admit. But it's setting up the plot, all the while making the reality of it all more plausible. In the end, there really is no denying the ingenuity of the filmmakers, and they deserve to be applauded for what they were able to do.

"Pulp Fiction", without a doubt. "Blair Witch" was a piece of shit (though I get its popularity, unlike "300"), while "Pulp Fiction" is the most quotable movie of all time, and has more 'unexpected' moments I think I ever saw in a movie. As the tournament goes on and this movie against stiffer competition, I'll get more into why I think this is one of the greatest movies of all time, but until that time comes, I'll just keep it simple for now and state the obvious that "Pulp Fiction" is light years ahead of "The Blair Witch Project".

See, I think Blair Witch gets undeservadely shat upon by many people that have seen it since the time it has come out. If you saw this movie during the buzz when this movie was going down, you loved it. It was a super small, indy film playing in artsy theaters, chances are maybe only 3 or 4 showings a day per city, and people ate this mother fucker up. The hype surrounding it was epic, as no one knew if it was real or not, until a few weeks later when they all showed up. This movie is terrifying, and i believe it's teh best horror movie made in the last decade bar none. It's a psychological movie, it uses the shadows the scare you as opposed to the copious amounts of blood scene in todays theaters.

That being said, Pulp Fiction destroys Blair Witch for obvious reasons. I won't go on about Pulp Fiction, but i do think that Blair Witch needs to be defended over the bashing it is receiving right now.

Thank you, Shocky. I completely agree. Blair Witch easily is the film to best utilize the simpliest scare tactics for thrills in the last 10, possibly 20 years. It's scary as hell without a ton of blood and gore. It's thrills over spills, and those are the kinds of horror movies I enjoy. Movies like Hostel and the Saw franchise are perfectly willing to stoop to sick disgusting images, and sacrifice real thrills.

For those of you who haven't seen it, or have forgotten it, get a couple of friends together, turn and the lights and re-watch it. I can't really find a trailer or clip that does enough justice to the film. But above all else, like any other movie, you have to suspend your disbelief. Half the experience is letting yourself believe it's real.

Pulp Fiction wins a match that's not really close but not really destruction either. Blair Witch sufferes from Psycho Syndrome. At the time it was in theaters, these movies were so different taht they were actually scary. Now they're nowhere near as close. Also, please don't think I'm comparing them as far as quality goes. To say its not even close is an insult to Psycho. Pulp Fiction was a new style of film that was just great on all levels and saved Travolta's career. Fiction wins, but this would be a different match 10 years ago.

You know what....I think I'm going to save most of my steam in supporting Pulp Fiction for a later bracket in the tournament.

That being said, of course I'm going to vote for Pulp Fiction over the Blair Witch Project. BWP may have arguably been the start of something relatively unseen in theatres, and many people reference it when discussing Cloverfield, but BWP has become known as a massive let down while Pulp Fiction is what, 14 years old now, and its still as popular with younger kids as ever?

Pulp Fiction.

Pulp Fiction all the way. John Travolta and Samuel "I scream every single line in every movie Im in" Jackson. Great combo. Thats not to say Blair Witch isnt good. I was a kid, and I bought into the hype. The movie scared me a little bit, and I dont scare that easy. Its both underrated and overated. But Pulp Fiction is too good to lose to Blair Witch. If you havent seen both, please do yourself a favor and do so as soon as you can.

One of the most bad ass movies vs a whiny bitch in a forest? The Blair Witch Project did do well in some aspects. Cheap to make, and made a ton of money. But the reactiong really died down when everyone on earth had heard it wasn't real, for all those that were sold that it was real. Pulp Fiction on the other hand is probably the best bad ass movie. It is a cult favorite, a fan favorite, and I bet Opera has 30 copies of it even. It really made a lot of actors big, or big again. The shifting scenes kept you entertained until the end, and the overall movie had doxzens of future references built into it. This movei will go far.

The Blair Witch Project deserves some credit. The idea of making a film but presenting it as a documentary style true story was creative. And their were thousands, maybe millions that believed the hype. So, you can't real say it's bad, it's just presented different. That being said Pulp Fiction is one of Quentin Taratino's best work todate. The movie has a great script and the acting was on point. This movie made Uma Thurman a star, and made Travolta a star again. Pulp Fiction deserves to take this one, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back