• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

80's Bracket Discussion

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
1980's Region Bracket

There are 90 bands in the 80's bracket (after eliminating a few of the one-hit wonders who have no place in the tourney, like The Buggles) which means that 26 bands must be eliminated in round one to arrive at a bracket of 64. 38 80's bands will receive 1st round byes, and the remaining 52 bands will compete in preliminary round matches.

Bands Receiving Byes

Metallica
Guns and Roses
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bon Jovi

U2
Motley Crue
Sting
Ozzy Osbourne

R.E.M.
Tesla
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Whitesnake

The Cranberries (patience, Jake.)
Def Leppard
Duran Duran
Van Halen (w/ Sammy Hagar)

Michael Jackson
Billy Idol
Megadeth
Iron Maiden

The Cult
Don Henley
Huey Lewis and the News
The Cure

Depeche Mode
Black Flag
Slayer
The Black Crowes

Culture Club
Jane's Addiction
John Cougar Mellencamp
Poison

Twisted Sister
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Elvis Costello
AC/DC (w/ Brian Johnson)

INXS
Bruce Springsteen

Preliminary 80's Region Matches

Cinderella vs Phil Collins
Devo vs Europe
The Eurhythmics vs Faith No More
Cyndi Lauper vs Living Colour
Loverboy vs A Flock of Seagulls
Talking Heads vs The Smiths
Sonic Youth vs The Pixies
Husker Du vs The Replacements
Adam & The Ants vs Jesus & Mary Chain
Joy Division vs New Order
The Pretenders vs The Stone Roses
Violent Femmes vs A-Ha
Asia vs The B-52's
ABBA vs The Beastie Boys
Bruce Hornsby vs Cutting Crew
Erasure vs Fine Young Cannibals
Lita Ford vs Robert Palmer
Soft Cell vs Survivor
UB40 vs Wham
Men at Work vs Midnight Oil
Eddie Money vs Night Ranger
Quiet Riot vs Ratt
Skid Row vs The Stray Cats
Tears for Fears vs Toto
Warrant vs Winger
White Lion vs 10,000 Maniacs

In this thread, you all may discuss the general state of the 1980's region.

I think, of all the regions, that this could be the strongest in the tournament. Any of the top 4 bands have a legimate chance at winning, along with Michael Jackson, AC/DC, Twisted Sister, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, because of their name value. It's really too hard to say right now, but if I had to pick I'd take Metallica beating Guns N' Roses. But right now it's way too hard to tell.

Sonic Youth vs The Pixies:

How the fuck am I supposed to pick between the two?

Adam & The Ants vs Jesus & Mary Chain:

Smae as above.

Joy Division vs New Order:

You're twisting my melons man.

ABBA vs The Beastie Boys:

ABBA all the way. How can you not love a bit of ABBA. People think they're shit because their radio friendly. Fuck that.

UB40 vs Wham:

I HATE UB40. Infractions for anybody who votes for them.

Tears for Fears vs Toto:

I love the seeding. This is how the next wrestler tournament should be done. Get HBK facing Undertaker straight away. I'm not being sarcastic by the way. It'll make things more intresting.

Fuck you Jake for beating me to the punch.

This sucks; how am I supposed to chose between the following (as Jake already pointed out)

Talking Heads vs The Smiths
Sonic Youth vs The Pixies
Husker Du vs The Replacements
Adam & The Ants vs Jesus & Mary Chain
Joy Division vs New Order
The Pretenders vs The Stone Roses

Those are all going to be tough as balls. Especially Joy Division vs. New Order, you just had to match those two up didn't you IC?

Oh, and where the HELL are the English Beat & the Specials? If Fine Young Cannibals are in this, which was nothing more then a spinoff less-popular version of the English Beat are in this, how aren't the originals?

English Beat & the Specials had more hits in England during the 80s then half of those bands combined. They NEED to be in here.

Oh good god, I cannot believe that Guns and Roses, The Scorpions, Poison, or Queensryche didn't make either the 80's bracket nor anywhere else in the tournament itself. This is an atrocity on so many levels

Errr Ech, GNR & Poison are both in this.

But you're right, where IS Queensryche? The Scorpions I could care less about, but da Queen gotta be in here mun!

Errr Ech, GNR & Poison are both in this.

But you're right, where IS Queensryche? The Scorpions I could care less about, but da Queen gotta be in here mun!

You don't Like the Scorpions? There like the most popular band to ever come out of Germany. They were very popular in the States, they sold out stadiums, sold 10 of millions of Albums, won countless awards. They were part of the main stable of metal bands during the 80's how can't they be in this?

Oh no I i'm not saying they don't deserve to be in this thing Ech, I was just saying I personally am not a fan of their music, with Rock You Like a Hurricane being exempt from that rule of course.

They should be in this over some one-hit wonder band, such as A-Ha.

Queensryche! Shit!

I moved them from 90's to 80's (I think) but didn't put them in. QR is amazing...let me check on them, but they will compete dammit!!!

Well you can replace the cranberries with Queensryche in the bands getting a Bye since you are going to have The Cranberries in the 90's.

I noticed also the you have the Red Hot Chili Peppers in both the 80s and 90s regions as well. Not sure what you would do about that as they are obviously a 90s band even though they formed in the 80s.

I noticed also the you have the Red Hot Chili Peppers in both the 80s and 90s regions as well. Not sure what you would do about that as they are obviously a 90s band even though they formed in the 80s.

Give the spot to The Scorpions, as they another very deserving metal band that seemed to have been overlooked for this tournament.

Sonic Youth vs The Pixies:

How the fuck am I supposed to pick between the two?

Adam & The Ants vs Jesus & Mary Chain:

Smae as above.

Joy Division vs New Order:

You're twisting my melons man.

ABBA vs The Beastie Boys:

ABBA all the way. How can you not love a bit of ABBA. People think they're shit because their radio friendly. Fuck that.

UB40 vs Wham:

I HATE UB40. Infractions for anybody who votes for them.

Tears for Fears vs Toto:

I love the seeding. This is how the next wrestler tournament should be done. Get HBK facing Undertaker straight away. I'm not being sarcastic by the way. It'll make things more intresting.

How you can think these two bands compare with a HBK/Undertaker match up? If this were Bon Jovi vs Poison, Def Leppard vs Metallic I could see but not these two. I do see your point though. How interesting it would be if the names were picked out of a hat and put in a region.

1980's Region Turned Sideways!

Due to some duplicate bands in the 80's and 90's region, some adjustments have been made. There are still 90 bands participating (though I am sure you will all find a few snubs to complain about :)) and there is still a preliminary round and 38 bands getting 1st round byes, but the matchups have changed DRASTICALLY and Ratt is officially out of the tournament after I realized I'd snubbed Dokken.

First Round Byes go to:

Metallica
Guns and Roses
Bon Jovi
U2
Motley Crue
Sting
Ozzy Osbourne
R.E.M.
Tesla
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Whitesnake
Queensryche
Def Leppard
Duran Duran
Van Halen w/ Sammy Hagar
Michael Jackson
Billy Idol
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
The Cult
Don Henley
Huey Lewis and the News
The Cure
Depeche Mode
Black Flag
The Scorpions
English Beat
Culture Club
The Specials
John Cougar Mellancamp
Poison
Twisted Sister
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Elvis Costello
AC/DC w/ Brian Johnson
INXS
Bruce Springsteen
Phil Collins

First Round Preliminary Matches

Cinderella vs Bruce Hornsby
Devo vs Cutting Crew
Europe vs Erasure
The Eurhythmics vs Fine Young Cannibals
Faith No More vs Lita Ford
Cyndi Lauper vs Robert Palmer
Living Colour vs Soft Cell
Loverboy vs Survivor
A Flock of Seaguls vs UB40
Talking Heads vs Wham
The Smiths vs Men at Work
The Pixies vs Midnight Oil
Husker Du vs Eddie Money
The Replacements vs Night Ranger
Adam and the Ants vs Quiet Riot
Jesus and Mary Chain vs Dokken
Joy Division vs Mr. Big
New Order vs Skid Row
The Pretenders vs The Stray Cats
Stone Roses vs Tears for Fears
Violent Femmes vs Toto
A-Ha vs Warrant
Asia vs Winger
B-52's vs Slaughter
ABBA vs 10,000 Maniacs
The Beastie Boys vs Firehouse

Voting will be posted starting soon!

Ok, everyone, the last of the 1st Round 80's matches are posted and the field of 64 in THAT region will be set in 4 days. From there, we will move on to (likely) the first round of the 50's and 60's or the 2nd round of the 90's, depending on which bracket I finish first. Take a moment when you can to post on the final preliminary 80's matches, though - there are some good ones!

Ok, everyone, the last of the 1st Round 80's matches are posted and the field of 64 in THAT region will be set in 4 days. From there, we will move on to (likely) the first round of the 50's and 60's or the 2nd round of the 90's, depending on which bracket I finish first. Take a moment when you can to post on the final preliminary 80's matches, though - there are some good ones!

Umm... what about the 70's?, when you gonna post those match-ups, and wouldn't just make sense to go from 90s to 80s to 70s, etc.?

another question, where the hell is Metallica in this thing?!, I know they're in there somewhere, but I'm not seeing them, I must be missing something or I'm extremely confused with how you're running this thing, can you please explain?

Umm... what about the 70's?, when you gonna post those match-ups, and wouldn't just make sense to go from 90s to 80s to 70s, etc.?

another question, where the hell is Metallica in this thing?!, I know they're in there somewhere, but I'm not seeing them, I must be missing something or I'm extremely confused with how you're running this thing, can you please explain?

Absolutely, Justin!

Scroll down a bit, and I have the list of ALL the 80's bands posted. We had more than 64 bands (90 to be exact) so I couldn't make a perfect bracket, but we had no where near 128, so A LOT of bands got 1st round byes in the 80's region, Metallica obviously being one of them. Same for Bon Jovi, U2, Springsteen, etc. The 70's had a perfect 64 band bracket, and the 50's and 60's have less than 64, which is the entire reason I started with the 90's. I wanted to have ALL the regions at a 64-band bracket.

After the 90's round we went from 128 bands to 64. Now, with the 80's ending, we will have ALL regions within a 64-band bracket, so we start fresh. Believe it or not, the last 3 weeks have just been preliminary rounds, and the debate there was hot and heavy. This is gonna be awesome!

With the preliminary matches finalized, we now have our field of 64 bands that will compete in the 1st round of the 1980's region! There are some great match-ups to be sure, and we will commence the 1st round of the 80's after we run through the 50's and 60's and the 2nd round of the 90's.

Here is the link to the bracket so you can see where the bands got seeded:

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=270127&tclass=80%27s%20Region

And of course, the match-ups:

1 Metallica 64 Winger
2 Guns and Roses 63 Warrant
3 Bon Jovi 62 Skid Row
4 U2 61 Dokken
5 Motley Crue 60 Quiet Riot
6 Sting 59 Eddie Money
7 Ozzy Osbourne 58 UB40
8 R.E.M. 57 Survivor
9 Tesla 56 Soft Cell
10 Stevie Ray Vaughn 55 Erasure
11 Whitesnake 54 The Beastie Boys
12 Queensryche 53 ABBA
13 Def Leppard 52 B-52's
14 Duran Duran 51 Violent Femmes
15 Van Halen w/ Sammy Hagar 50 Stone Roses
16 Michael Jackson 49 The Pretenders
17 Billy Idol 48 Joy Division
18 Megadeth 47 The Replacements
19 Iron Maiden 46 The Pixies
20 The Cult 45 The Smiths
21 Don Henley 44 Talking Heads
22 Huey Lewis and the News 43 Cyndi Lauper
23 The Cure 42 Faith No More
24 Depeche Mode 41 The Eurythmics
25 Black Flag 40 Devo
26 The Scorpions 39 Cinderella
27 English Beat 38 Phil Collins
28 Culture Club 37 Bruce Springsteen
29 The Specials 36 INXS
30 John Cougar Mellancamp 35 AC/DC w/Johnson
31 Poison 34 Elvis Costello
32 Twisted Sister 33 Joan Jett

I am personally waiting to see XFear's reaction to the Skid Row vs Bon Jovi matchup, which occured completely by accident. I did not manipulate these numbers in any way, so this is just the funniest coincidence yet!

With the preliminary matches finalized, we now have our field of 64 bands that will compete in the 1st round of the 1980's region! There are some great match-ups to be sure, and we will commence the 1st round of the 80's after we run through the 50's and 60's and the 2nd round of the 90's.

Here is the link to the bracket so you can see where the bands got seeded:

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=270127&tclass=80%27s%20Region

And of course, the match-ups:

1 Metallica 64 Winger
2 Guns and Roses 63 Warrant
3 Bon Jovi 62 Skid Row
4 U2 61 Dokken
5 Motley Crue 60 Quiet Riot
6 Sting 59 Eddie Money
7 Ozzy Osbourne 58 UB40
8 R.E.M. 57 Survivor
9 Tesla 56 Soft Cell
10 Stevie Ray Vaughn 55 Erasure
11 Whitesnake 54 The Beastie Boys
12 Queensryche 53 ABBA
13 Def Leppard 52 B-52's
14 Duran Duran 51 Violent Femmes
15 Van Halen w/ Sammy Hagar 50 Stone Roses
16 Michael Jackson 49 The Pretenders
17 Billy Idol 48 Joy Division
18 Megadeth 47 The Replacements
19 Iron Maiden 46 The Pixies
20 The Cult 45 The Smiths
21 Don Henley 44 Talking Heads
22 Huey Lewis and the News 43 Cyndi Lauper
23 The Cure 42 Faith No More
24 Depeche Mode 41 The Eurythmics
25 Black Flag 40 Devo
26 The Scorpions 39 Cinderella
27 English Beat 38 Phil Collins
28 Culture Club 37 Bruce Springsteen
29 The Specials 36 INXS
30 John Cougar Mellancamp 35 AC/DC w/Johnson
31 Poison 34 Elvis Costello
32 Twisted Sister 33 Joan Jett

I am personally waiting to see XFear's reaction to the Skid Row vs Bon Jovi matchup, which occured completely by accident. I did not manipulate these numbers in any way, so this is just the funniest coincidence yet!

So now if I understand this right, with the way the seeding is set up, we could potentially get GnR vs. Metallica in round 2?, that should be interesting, and possibly the biggest match up of the 80s

EDIT: Nevermind, I just looked at the brackets

So now if I understand this right, with the way the seeding is set up, we could potentially get GnR vs. Metallica in round 2?, that should be interesting, and possibly the biggest match up of the 80s

EDIT: Nevermind, I just looked at the brackets

Yeah, Metallica vs GnR would have to occur in the 80's Region final 0 but holy hell what a final match that would be!

Metallica vs U2@ could happen in the Final Four, and that would be interesting too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back