Meatloaf vs Grand Funk Railroad

• Meatloaf

• Grand Funk Railroad

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

1st Round 70's Region Match

Meatloaf vs Grand Funk Railroad

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun!

This isn't a difficult choice at all.

GFR has a small, cult-like following, but to my knowledge (though I am sure XFear will correct me on this, which is fine since I am admitting ignorance here) they are not a popular mainstream "rock legends" kind of band.

Meatloaf, on the other hand, IS an absolute legend and is someone who could surprise a lot of people in this tournament. His early work in the 70's still resonates on radio today, such albums as "Bat Out Of Hell" still sell well in many stores. "2 out of 3 Ain't Bad" is fantastic, and of course "Paradise by the Dashboard Light," which is a definitive wedding anthem.

After a slight "hiatus" from the mainstream, Meatloaf roared back in the 90's with "Bat Out Of Hell 2," best known for the mega-hit single "I Would Do Anything For Love." Unbeknownst to some, though, is the fact that B.O.O.H.2 contained better longs that that, such as "Life is a Lemon and I Want My Money Back," "Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through," and "Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire." His songs were as long and epic as their titles, and his concerts matched.

Meatloaf wins this one in a stomp.

The big guy should be able to take this one at a walk (just as well really, cos i don't think he can run). Even based on the value of 2 songs along (Bat Out of Hell and Anything for Love), the man is a rock icon and these songs aren't even his greatest works.
He's never going to win the tournament, but i think meatloaf is more than capable of getting by a few rounds maybe depending on the draw

Haha legend of Rock?! Meatloaf is an absoloute joke, he's being milking Bat out of Hell for 30 years. What makes that even worse is that Bat out of Hell is prehaps the most overated album ever, I'm not saying the album is bad but compared the best Rock albums of the 70's/80's it doesn't even get close to them in quality. To be honest he's just another over the top Rock singer, I'm not going to deny that Bat out of Hell was a decent album however even based on that he's not a legend by any stretch of the imagination. Not to mention the rest of Meatloafs career was/is a complete disaster as 99% of what he has relseased since then has been absoloutaly awful. The constant milking of Bat out of Hell in an attempt to make as much money from it as possible proves what a dick the guy is he and someone should tell him to try changing his style to suit the times as for the last 15 years his music has only appealed to hardcore fans of his first album who were 20+ when he relseased it. Meatloaf's 2 albums after Bat out of hell sound almost exactly like his first just not as good, its like every song he releases he's trying to create Bohiemian Rhapsody or something, not to mention that his lyrics are so over the top that it actualy becomes annoying after 2 songs. People like to tout Meatloaf as a creative genius, and while I apprechiate that his first album was relatively experimental and sounded ok, everything since has been pretentious bullshit which is more Sound of music than Rock. That been said his first album just about beats anything GFR has ever done.

This isn't a difficult choice at all.

GFR has a small, cult-like following, but to my knowledge (though I am sure XFear will correct me on this, which is fine since I am admitting ignorance here) they are not a popular mainstream "rock legends" kind of band.

ROFL, you're exactly right IC25. Because you shoulda done your homework on GFR, unless you consider a "small cult-like following" to be 25 million records sold, 4 Gold albums and selling out arenas across the globe. ARENAS. These guys were MASSIVELY popular in the 70s, and I'm surprised you were unaware of that IC25. They had two MASSIVE hits in the 70s with "We're An American Band" and "Some Kind of Wonderful" two of the most well-known 70s rock songs of all time. GFR weren't as popular as Meatloaf, but they were still hugely successful in the 70s.

Meatloaf, on the other hand, IS an absolute legend and is someone who could surprise a lot of people in this tournament. His early work in the 70's still resonates on radio today, such albums as "Bat Out Of Hell" still sell well in many stores. "2 out of 3 Ain't Bad" is fantastic, and of course "Paradise by the Dashboard Light," which is a definitive wedding anthem.

Are you serious here IC25? Meatloaf is utter garbage. Just as the poster before me said, he's been making the exact same album for the last 30 years with no change whatsoever. This isn't always a bad thing if the material you started off with wasn't bad to begin with; it was in Meatloaf's case. "I Would Do Anything For Love" may just be the single worst song ever recorded. I honestly mean that.

I went with GFR, they atleast had a few good songs. Can't say the same for Meatloaf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back