Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1970s Bracket,
Round 4, Match 2

Star Wars
Movie_Poster_StarWars_E4_New_Hope.jpg

Vs.

Rocky
Rocky-flag-FP1731-l.jpg

this one is just to hard to call im a fan of both big time. you got the launch of the greatest saga in movies with star wars. then you have the first rocky of a series of them. both were great but star wars wins on the edge here. its going to be really close i can say that for sure.

I am going to back Rocky once again.

Rocky was one of the best sports films, ever. One of the greatest in a genre of hundreds.

Star Wars wasn't even the best film in it's own trilogy. Empire was.

Both films are entertaining, and both are films most people stop at when channel surfing to stop and watch. But I will take the underdog story of Rocky Balboa over the fight against the young boy as a better film overall.

But yes, these two films are very close. The marked similarity between them is the amazing creation of such deep characters. Rocky, Adrian, Mickey, Paulie, Apollo. Each one of these characters engages the audience with their own quirks and idiosyncracies. Star Wars draws you in with Luke, Leia, Han, Obi-Wan, Vader, Chewie, 3PO, and R2.

I wouldn't want to look back in time and be missing either of these films. But in terms of which film was superior to the other, I will take Rocky.

Star Wars. Shouldn't be a question about it. Rocky's moved on pretty far, and good for it, but you can't compare it to Star Wars. I'd put Star Wars as twice the movie Rocky is, if not more, if you had some sort of a mathematical scale set up.

Star Wars.

Star Wars is a great fantasy film. But it's basically just niche film. Lots of people see Star Wars. And yet, when I think about it, very few people I know actually LOVE the movie. Rocky is one of the most uplifting stories in the sports movie genre. Honestly, I would pick Rocky over Empire as well, and Empire is better than Star wars. So of course I'm going to vote for Rocky over Star Wars. IC25 has battled for this film, and I think he's made every argument there is to make for this film. He almost won me over against Chinatown. Mind you, I still voted for Chinatown, but I'm a sucker for the mystery/noir genre, and Murfish gave a hell of a defense for it. But in this case, I'm voting for Rocky 100%.

So I make a choice...one of my favourite movies of all time, against one of the most overrated movies of all time. The obvious choice is to go with my favourite, because frankly I hate the Rocky movies (just like James Bond they do nothing for me).

The impact Starwars has had on the world is pretty darn huge, it has spawed the most successful franchise of all time, with toys, video games, comics, books...you get the point, for many (sad) people it's a lifestyle.

And it's a pretty darn good movie, one that certainly does not deserve to be beaten by Rocky.

May the force be with you.

Well here is the thing. I have heard Rocky get called ther greatest Sports film of all time. Right? It is usually placed above another boxing movie in Raging Bull, and higher than any Golf, Hockey, Football, Basketball, or tennis movie by a long shot. That is great, incredible, and all that. But when it comes to Star Wars, who leaves the statement "Star Wars is the greatest Sci Fi movie of all time"? Very few, because the term "Sci-fi" is removed, and it is called that. The greatest film of all time. This is easy for me, Star Wars must go over Rocky here.

Yeah i'm going with a movie that I practically watched until I broke the tape. Star Wars just does it for me. While Star Wars isn't the film that Empire is, it really is a fantastic film. God knows I love me some Rocky Movies though. Rocky is about as great of a sports film as you can watch. It just comes down to preference, and I prefer Star Wars to Rocky, but I really wouldn't be upset if either moves on.

I hate Star Wars. With a passion. Now I'm not doubting it's place in pop culture history. It's just that the movie never did anything for me. Rocky however as said before. Is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest Sports movies of all time. Plus it wasnt just about sports. It was really more of a romance movie in a way, with a hardcoe tough guy side to it.

Rocky for my money.

Well here is the thing. I have heard Rocky get called ther greatest Sports film of all time. Right? It is usually placed above another boxing movie in Raging Bull, and higher than any Golf, Hockey, Football, Basketball, or tennis movie by a long shot. That is great, incredible, and all that. But when it comes to Star Wars, who leaves the statement "Star Wars is the greatest Sci Fi movie of all time"? Very few, because the term "Sci-fi" is removed, and it is called that. The greatest film of all time. This is easy for me, Star Wars must go over Rocky here.

The reason the "sci-fi" part is left out, is because Star Wars is considered the greatest movie of all time... by sci-fi nerds. To them, there's nothing BUT sci-fi movies. It would be a waste of breath.

Star Wars may have the creative edge, and was made a much, much bigger budget, but what Rocky lacks in concept and effects, it makes up for in actual film quality.

Star Wars gets my vote here. Even though it might not be the best in the series, without this movie there wouldn't be an Empire Strikes Back. It spawned six successful sequels, countless action figures, games and other products. And imo its a more entertaining film than Rocky, and films are meant to entertain. While I do love Rocky, it just can't compare to Star Wars.

Like has been said, Star Wars isn't even close to the best movie of the series, that honor goes to Empire...and I'd say Return beats out the original Star Wars as well.

On the other hand, Rocky is, without a doubt, THE best movie of the series, even more so than Rocky 2. The reason I say this is because, while Rocky didn't win the match, he won something much more important. It also is a great statement about finding what is important in life. It has a great message, and develops the story beautifully. The characters are far more engaging than Star Wars, and you can connect to them on a much deeper level.

Rocky > Star Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back