Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1970s Bracket,
Round 4, Match 1

The Godfather
lgpp30555+don-vito-corleone-the-godfather-poster.jpg

Vs.

Alien

alien_movie_poster.jpg

I'll be fighting an eventual losing battle, but alien wins this for me. I've said a lot about this movie, but I truly believe its the best Sci-Fi horror movie of all time. This movie scares the shit out of you, and it's one fucking creature in it the entire time. This movie launched a killer franchise that faded with the fourth movie, and launched the career ofa rguably the biggest female action star to date, Sigourney Weaver. I love the Alien movies, and hope that it winst his match.

Well it looks like this match up gave me an offer i could refuse.

Ok sorry about the lameness of that. Alien is one of my favorite movies of all time. It has everything I want from a movie. Horror, and aliens. Ok maybe not everything, but it is a kick ass movie. Not to say that The Godfather isnt either. I just dont prefer it as much as I do Alien. The Alien was creepy as a motherfucker too.

Um, wow, the score is strange. Can the film rated by film credits to be the ultimate movie of all time really lose out to a movie about an alien? If that alien has blood made of Acid it will! I like the Godfather, and I know it is a good movie, but personally, I liked Alien more. I don't know if this makes me a bad film watcher. I loved Godfather, but Alien was more enjoyable. Alien has done well in this tournament, an Alien, Star Wars show down would be very fun. Lets hope it happens.

I like the godfather enough to watch it twice, but I love Alien that much I must of watched it about 20 times, THE best sci-fi horror ever, The atmosphere of the film is always spot, The plot moves at a good pace, And it scares the shit out of you.

I am really amazed the scores are evened out for Alien and The Godfather. While Both are classics only one of them is considered the greatest film of all time by many. Personally my vote goes to The Godfather. I wont deny i am not big on sci fi films in general but alien is one i am particular not very fond of. I am sure for its time it was an amazing film and the special effects were great but the generation of today will see it nothing more as a cheap horror film. While The Godfather on the other hand can stand the test of time cause of its amazing story and acting. I really thought The Godfather would take this by a landslide.

While Both are classics only one of them is considered the greatest film of all time by many.

Citizen Kane?

I am sure for its time it was an amazing film and the special effects were great

It hasn't really got that many special effects. It's puppets and plaster casting.

but the generation of today will see it nothing more as a cheap horror film.

Not likely. It's hardly aged. That's the benefit of it not being reliant on computers.

While The Godfather on the other hand can stand the test of time cause of its amazing story and acting.

That's probably what'll help out Alien as well.

I really thought The Godfather would take this by a landslide.

It's a great film. But it's not better than Aliens. It's more thought provoking than Alien, maybe. It's certainly harder to get into.

As for being the best film of all time, doubtful. Is The Godfather Part 2 better?

Not likely. It's hardly aged. That's the benefit of it not being reliant on computers

While i agree with this is it not different for sci fi horror/horror films? The better the effects even if computer reliant the scarier it is compared to puppets.

That's probably what'll help out Alien as well

That's a matter of opinion. But critic wise The Godfather did better.

It's a great film. But it's not better than Aliens. It's more thought provoking than Alien, maybe. It's certainly harder to get into.

As for being the best film of all time, doubtful. Is The Godfather Part 2 better?

Again this is all a matter of opinion. Some may find it easier to get into some don't. For it to rank top 10 in most if not all "Greatest Films" of all time by critics i am sure their are people out there who consider it the greatest film of all time.

While i agree with this is it not different for sci fi horror/horror films? The better the effects even if computer reliant the scarier it is compared to puppets.

I'm not sure I get it.

That's a matter of opinion. But critic wise The Godfather did better.

I think ''critic wise'' is a new term. ''Star wise'' most critics probably gave both the 5 star treatment.

Again this is all a matter of opinion. Some may find it easier to get into some don't.

It's not as easy to watch as Alien. Not saying that Alien is a dumb film, it's just not got as much going on. The Godfather has many layers.

It's like The Dark Knight & Iron Man. TDK is a great film, but it's nowhere near as much fun as Iron Man. You watch it and you have to think about it.

For it to rank top 10 in most if not all "Greatest Films" of all time by critics i am sure their are people out there who consider it the greatest film of all time.

There are people out there who consider Meet The Spartans as the greatest film of all time. Alien could easily be voted the best Sci-Fi or Horror film of all time. The Godfather could easily be voted the best Crime or whatever genre film of all time.

I'm not sure I get it.
Sorry what i was trying to get at is. If someone were to watch alien today i doubt they would find it scary which is the main point to a sci fi horror.

I think ''critic wise'' is a new term. ''Star wise'' most critics probably gave both the 5 star treatment

Ok but The Godfather got better reviews and won more prestigious awards. Leading most to believe it is the better film of the two. Again though a matter of opinion.

It's not as easy to watch as Alien. Not saying that Alien is a dumb film, it's just not got as much going on. The Godfather has many layers.

I can see what your trying to say with alien being easier to understand then The Godfather but i don't think that should affect which of the two is a better film.

It's like The Dark Knight & Iron Man. TDK is a great film, but it's nowhere near as much fun as Iron Man. You watch it and you have to think about it.

Again this is a matter of opinion. I personally hated Iron Man. But loved TDK.

There are people out there who consider Meet The Spartans as the greatest film of all time. Alien could easily be voted the best Sci-Fi or Horror film of all time. The Godfather could easily be voted the best Crime or whatever genre film of all time.

I agree they both can be considered the best in their respective genre. But we are talking about films as a whole and as you said some may consider Meet The Spartans the best film of all time. That's why i say its all just a matter of opinion.

Are you flippin' kidding me!?

Alien shouldn't have half the votes as The Godfather, what are you all smoking!? The Godfather is one of the greatest films in history - it's a multi-faceted masterpeice was some of the most terrific acting ever assembled.

The film is also home to some of the greatest characters ever, and the changes they go though, as well as the fatal flaws they deal with and how they affect each character, reads like Greek Prose.

Take Michael Corleone, for example. Baron John Acton was credited with the well-known phrase "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." The Michael Corleone character in this film decends from decent and well-manners war hero into the controlled madness that is the new Don Corleone, shaped by the events of his life, such as the shooting of his father and brother Sonny, and his ability to rise into power of America's largest organized crime syndicate. The characterization of Michael is a masterpeice.

The Godfather is a film that could absolutely rivet you to your seat, intensely watching as characters you cared about interact. Despite those characters being criminals, the story somehow manages to make those criminals into actual protagonists, even making such reputable law enforcement agents as the FBI into antagonists. ("God Damn FBI don't respect nuthin'.") How many films can claim that they make you care deeply about the bad guy? Very few.

To vote for Alien because it's "easier to watch" is to concede that you think that the films that allow you to think the least and just stimulate your visual and auditory sense for 100 minutes are superior. Basically, people may be tempted to vote for the "cinematic path of least resistance." I have to caution against this. Godfather was a treendous accomplishment thanks in part to the many layers the film had, the intensity in which they were performed, and the fact that you can still watch the movie - maybe for the 70th time like I have - and still realized there's something you missed the first 69 times.

Undo this potential travesty, folks, and vote for The Godfather.

Are you flippin' kidding me!?

Alien shouldn't have half the votes as The Godfather, what are you all smoking!? The Godfather is one of the greatest films in history - it's a multi-faceted masterpeice was some of the most terrific acting ever assembled.

The film is also home to some of the greatest characters ever, and the changes they go though, as well as the fatal flaws they deal with and how they affect each character, reads like Greek Prose.

Yes this is all true, but Alien is just more entertaining and enjoyable to watch, and that to me is what is most important to me in determining a good movie, I can not argue with you on acting and all you mentioned, but I can argue with you on the shear fact that Alien is just plain more enjoyable to watch, you have to be in a certain state of mind to watch any of the godfather movies, Alien you just throw it in and have fun watching it, to me that's more important, after movies are made for entertainment purpose, therefore should we choose the more entertaining movie?

Oh and the poll was closed when you made you post, so it doesn't matter Alien wins:D

Yes this is all true, but Alien is just more entertaining and enjoyable to watch, and that to me is what is most important to me in determining a good movie, I can not argue with you on acting and all you mentioned, but I can argue with you on the shear fact that Alien is just plain more enjoyable to watch, you have to be in a certain state of mind to watch any of the godfather movies, Alien you just throw it in and have fun watching it, to me that's more important, after movies are made for entertainment purpose, therefore should we choose the more entertaining movie?

Oh and the poll was closed when you made you post, so it doesn't matter Alien wins:D

By this logic, since I enjoy watching Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective so much, those two films are better than Vertigo. SO flawed.

People really dropped the ball here, myself included. I made the mistake of crediting everyone with the foresight to vote Godfather over Alien in a walk, so I didn't pay too much mind. I obviously have to shoulder some responsibility here. But where was everyone else until it was too late? Watching a mediocre action flick go over the Greatest Film of All Time.

I guess even I can't win them all.

Sorry what i was trying to get at is. If someone were to watch alien today i doubt they would find it scary which is the main point to a sci fi horror.

It's perfectly scary. It's just that kids today are raised on horror films where people get their eyes blowtorched out.

Ok but The Godfather got better reviews and won more prestigious awards. Leading most to believe it is the better film of the two. Again though a matter of opinion.

The Godfather got better reviews for it's genre. Aliens is a totally different film which would equal a totally different review. And films like that aren't as likely to get awards.

Undo this potential travesty, folks, and vote for The Godfather.

No ta. I'll vote for Alien. It's not superior to The Godfather just as The Godfather isn't superior to Alien.

Alien was made in the shadow of other sci-fi films like Star Wars & Close Encounters. Yet it redefined the who sci-fi genre.

The Godfather is the bridge from the movies of classic's of the early part of the 20th century to the action packed movies of today. It has the dialogue and chivalry of a Cary Grant movie. It also has the ruthlessness and unapologetic betrayal of today's great movies.

Alien was, ummmm, OK.

The whole best film of all time argument doesn't hold any water. I've read that about The Shawshank Redemption, Goodfellas, Casablanca, Empire Strikes Back and more. I've also heard plenty of arguments for The Godfather Part 2 being better than Part 1.

Great cast? It should have, for the best film of all time and all. Alien has been ripped off more, the Alien is more iconic that Vito Corleone, and The Godfather probably bores just as many people as it entertains. It starts off with a wedding reception, and the only people who find them intresting are the bride, goom and the drunk people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back