• Shadow of the Colossus

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzy

Mid-Card Championship Winner
NES_Tetris_Box_Front.jpg

Sotc_boxart.jpg

Easy choice here. Tetris is THE game that all puzzle games want to be. It is the most addicting endless puzzle game ever made and likely always will be. Never has there been a game that can take up so much time when you are bored that never got old after more than two decades. I give Tetris my support here due to its insanely high level of fun and the impact it had on the gaming world. It should win this round and deserves to move on much more than Shadow of the Colossus does.

Going with Shadow here even though Tetris will undoubtedly win. Tetris is just a simple concept for a puzzle game, but it really made that genre and is still the best game in that specific genre. Yea, it made a whole genre, but it isn't my cup of tea. I get bored after playing one game. Shadow however, is one of the most gorgeous and innovative games I have ever played. The Colossi are a treat for your eyes. The gameplay is also incredibly fun once you get a hang of the controls. Climbing up and down the Colossi, looking for the weak point was much more fun than it sounds. It had such a simple concept, but it was done so well. Everything about that game to me was awesome whether it was the horse controls, the graphics, or the open world with sixteen enemies in it. It's more fun than Tetris, at least to me. That's enough for it to get my vote.

I agree with Fizzy. Tetris my have shaped an entire new genre of gaming but do tell me, how many puzzle games hit the market every month? How many puzzle games have been made? Puzzles are generally incorporated in most other genres of gaming like RPG's, action adventure and survival horror but as a genre itself it is pretty boring. I have surely heard no one mention puzzle games as their favorite genre of games as of yet.

Shadow of Colossus is, on the other hand, a more challenging game than Tetris as a whole. People often rate it as a beautiful game and praise its story and music but they often forget that defeating each Colossi is no mean feat in itself. It is somewhat like a puzzle game because you have to identify the weakness of each Colossi before even getting to defeating it. Another thing that makes it unique is the fact that there isn't a single creature to fight in this game other than the Colossi. It's like sixteen boss battles one after the other woven around the backdrop of what is essentially a love story.

Shadow of Colossus is better than Tetris in every imaginable way. It gets my vote.

If Tetris is key in the start of the gaming revolution, Shadow is one of the last steps in it's evolution. A massive sprawling landscape of mountains, open plains and castles (fairly obviously copied by Red Dead Redemption) filled with truly magnificent creatures. Seriously, your first encounter with No 1 is breathtaking as you try to work out how the fuck you're going to take this thing down and you better be quick because he just saw you.
The true kicker though is the ending because it actually feels quite hollow. You may have saved the girl but there is a serious question mark over the price paid having slaughtered these remarkable creatures.

There is no justification for voting Tetris here besides rose-tinted nostalgia.

I agree with Fizzy. Tetris my have shaped an entire new genre of gaming but do tell me, how many puzzle games hit the market every month? How many puzzle games have been made? Puzzles are generally incorporated in most other genres of gaming like RPG's, action adventure and survival horror but as a genre itself it is pretty boring. I have surely heard no one mention puzzle games as their favorite genre of games as of yet.

It did more than that, until 1996 Tetris was the reason people bought Gameboy's and with that it was the father of handheld gaming. OUt of that came the Gameboy all the way down to the 3DS, Sega's attempts, Sony's attempts, heck even Nokia decided to use that model and go for Snake on a mobile phone because Tetris did so well. I don't need to tell you just how much video games make through the medium of handheld and mobile's now do I? Don't underestimate the influence Tetris had on the industry.

That being said we're not going off influence or else a game like Pong (destroyed last round) or Donkey Kong (who didn't even make the 128) would win this. So I'm voting Shadow of the Collosus. That game is truly beautiful (one of four games I've said that about) everything from the visuals, to the gameplay, to the music just makes it an allround better game. If you haven't played it buy the HD re-release in September when it's out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back