xfear, NSL and Ty Burna Presents: The Screamo/Post-Hardcore/Metalcore Thread

Definitely heard of them, and definitely like them. They were at Warped Tour yesterday, but I did not get a chance to see them. I wanted to, but was too far away to catch any of their set.

Here's who I did get to see:

Chiodos: Fucking...epic. I've always been a casual fan, but man can they take over a crowd. They were on at 1130, about a half hour after the show started, and it didn't take long for the fans to migrate over. They were nonstop "go" for their whole 30 minutes, and so were the fans. Have to love a band that can do that.

The AKAs: They may be the last great true "punk" band left. They had the look, the sound, the lyrics, and the crowd to make me think so. They played great, and had a stage presence that separated them from most punk bands of today. They also made sure to take time out of their set, to trash some of the other shitty bands on the tour, letting the fans know that music should never be about how tight your clothes are, how loud you play, or how long you can scream, but what you feel...It was great.

Reflective Insight: They were a decent little ska band. Nothing outrageous, but they played good for the 15-20 minutes they were on.

brokeNCYDE: Whoever dreamed up the mix of screamo and crunk, needs to be shot. I was forced to lsiten to about 2 songs from them (may have been more, they all sounded the same), because they were in between a band I was watching, and the line for the bathroom. They just kept reminding me how badly I need to shit. They were awful.

Aiden: I was alwaysa casual fan of them, but holy fuck did they steal the night. Wil is amazing as a frontman, and the rest of the band held their own in trying to keep up. They told security to fuck off, and let the fans on stage, and in front of the barrier, and they did everything from crowd surf, to mosh, to creating sing-alongs. I have a brand new respect for them after that.

Madina Lake: Again, I was always a casual fan, and have House Of Cards on about 3 different mixed CDs. But, they went a long way to making me more than that. They were great on stage, and definitely showed a side I didn't know they had. They rocked louder than most of the other bands, and you could tell they had fun doing it.

Meg And Dia: I must say, I was impressed. I always knew they were good, but could never admit it. They didn't "wow" me on stage, but they put on a good little show, and passed a half hour for me.

The White Tie Affair: No. Just no. They were so bad, that even people there to see them, left. Did I mention the covered Just Dance?

Black Tide: Obviously one of my favorite bands, and they came all out here. They played their covers of Metallica and Iron Maiden, and they played about 5 of their own songs, and got the crowd in a pretty wild frenzy. The only bad thing I can say, is that Gabriel, the singer, was a bit of a douche at their merch tent.

Shooter Jennings: How this guy isn't bigger, is beyond me. I've seen him live before, and love his music. He's got some great lyrics, and his band just jams. There's nothing fancy about it, and they love getting the crowd involved. He was a different style than most he other bands on the tour, and he still got a good reaction.

Bayside: I had never heard of them until Wednesday night, and was an instant fan. I was hoping they wouldn't suck live, and they came through for me. They played 7 or 8 songs, and never lost a beat. The crowd was into them, they were into the crowd, and they wanted to keep playing, but they were only allotted the 30-35 minutes.

P.O.S.: He's another artist I hadn't heard of until Wednesday, and I'm glad I checked him out. He's a rapper, but he has a very different flow than most others today. His lyrics are very well written and he writes almost all of his own music. I'd recommend him to almost anyone.

Versaemerge: I'd say they're a great band, but they sound a bit too much like Paramore for me. I'm a Paramore fan, but they need their own sound to be considered anything over "good". They had a fairly small crowd at their set, but they played like there was 1000, which is always nice to see.

In This Moment: Obviously, I loved their set. They played mostly old stuff, and showed they haven't lost their edge, as a lot of people seem to think. I also got to chill with them a bit afterwards, but I'll cover that in my Warped Tour thread.

To me VersaEmerge is more like a female fronted version of Saosin. ALthough the singers voice does sound pretty much the same as Haley Williams', the band is different.

Speaking of VersaEmerge, their singer was featured on the new A Day To Remember album. I'm not sure if ADTR have been discussed yet, since I just skipped to page 6 of the thread, but I'll post a little something.

A Day To Remember is from Ocala, Florida. They have put out 3 CD's: Their Name Was Treason, For Those Who Have Heart, and Homesick. The first CD was re-released and simply titled Old Record. They have covered a few pop songs, Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" and The Fray's "Over My Head". They have relly blown up over the last year and a half. Here is a few songs from them:

[youtube]2A7UjrZnOuo[/youtube]

[youtube]vHmghtyNeuE[/youtube]

[youtube]Kd-lbg1QQ-Y[/youtube]

Not sure how to post videos directly, so those are the links. I did read a little of the first page, and there was quite a bit of Fall Out Boy trashing. While their new stuff isn't that great, their first CD, Take This To Your Grave, is one of my favorite CD's ever. While I would never, and I mean NEVER, call them anything close to screamo, there is a few songs that have a pretty good amount of screaming in them. Don't know why I felt the need to defend their honor, but I did.

OMFF... before I completely mark out for this thread or post anything relevant, when the title says screamo does that include bands that have a screamin singer like death metal bands?

I suppose so. What kind of death metal are we talking about here? Are we talking about shit like Celtic Frost or like Earth Crisis or something? Some death metal is acceptable, as long as it's not shit like Cannibal Corpse or Children of Bodom. Keep that crap out of this thread. It's got to have some semblance of hardcore and not just be 100% full on metal.

And Ty...OF COURSE we all love Saosin, is that even a question?! That's like asking a rap fan if he likes Biggie or Tupac, well of fuckin' course we do!

El Beardo: I embedded those YouTube videos for you bud.

What kind of death metal are we talking about here?

Well, isnt all death metal screamo in an essence due to the fact that the singers scream....o???

as long as it's not shit like Cannibal Corpse...

Oh GOD NO... CC & Deicide can go suck my left penis. These guys are like what Marilyn Manson is to Metal, or Kid Rock is to err.. rock. Put it this way, I know somebody who is an avid metal/hardcore freak who has all these metal bands. From the Velvet Underground to In This Moment... and everything in between... yet he would rather kill himself than listen to Cannibal Corpse or Deicide but then he retracted his statement as these bands actually promote suicide & giving them unneeded encouragement.

... & Children Of Bodom

Really??? So I guess all of melodic death metal is out of the question [this involves bands like Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth & Children... but I find that very weird though, its not particularly emo shit but very much like hardcore except metalled up]

I would also like to add that some of these bands I enjoy like Trivium & A7X, others not so much like A Day To Remember & others I dont know who they are... good thread though

Reactions: NSL
Well, isnt all death metal screamo in an essence due to the fact that the singers scream....o???

Not at all. Screamo is a distinct genre, it's not just "music with screaming". Screamo is a mixture of hardcore punk, metal and emo with screaming vocals. Not every band that screams is screamo though. Very, very different things.

Death Metal is not screamo.

Oh GOD NO... CC & Deicide can go suck my left penis. These guys are like what Marilyn Manson is to Metal, or Kid Rock is to err.. rock. Put it this way, I know somebody who is an avid metal/hardcore freak who has all these metal bands. From the Velvet Underground to In This Moment... and everything in between... yet he would rather kill himself than listen to Cannibal Corpse or Deicide but then he retracted his statement as these bands actually promote suicide & giving them unneeded encouragement.

Umm...HUH? The Velvet Underground are not a metal band. Not even remotely metal. Metal didn't even exist when they were around man, who the hell told you they were metal? One of my favorite bands, but not even slightly metal in any way.

[youtube]6xcwt9mSbYE[/youtube]

That is not metal. At all.​

Really??? So I guess all of melodic death metal is out of the question [this involves bands like Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth & Children... but I find that very weird though, its not particularly emo shit but very much like hardcore except metalled up]

We're trying to just keep this thread to screamo/metalcore/hardcore, no straight-ahead full-on death metal really. It's a totally different genre from the one's we're talking about.

Well, actually... Velvet Underground [on some respectable sites] have been credited as one of the bands that influenced the metal genre.

Go on google & type in greatest metal bands. The first option should be the DDD or something & on the side bar the Velvet Underground is referenced here. They are alongside Cream, Jeff Beck, Aerosmith & Pink Floyd.

And from your responses... Im going to say that I should keep out Death Metal here. Sorry to bother you X with your time. You could of used this time to discuss other bands. How about The Agonist??? Fairly new band, basically an average one. I guess they are ohkay. I have been looking to invest in this area past Trivium, A7X & ITM... Can I get your opinions on these guys. Chick vocalist...

[youtube]pZo4bOZf3B4[/youtube]

[youtube]aXzIeI0mkFI[/youtube]​

Please excuse the cheesy video clips...
Any good???

Well, actually... Velvet Underground [on some respectable sites] have been credited as one of the bands that influenced the metal genre.

It's quite a different thing to influence a genre, and be an example of that genre. Velvet Underground influenced punk far more than they did metal. Why would they influence metal, their music shares nothing in common with it.

Go on google & type in greatest metal bands. The first option should be the DDD or something & on the side bar the Velvet Underground is referenced here. They are alongside Cream, Jeff Beck, Aerosmith & Pink Floyd.

That list is ridiculous. How the hell did the Yardbirds or The Kinks influence metal? They have nothing to do with metal. Neither does VU.

But, this is all off topic. Feel free to bring up any metalcore/screamo/hardcore bands you dig though, just look back through this thread for examples of the kind of music we're talking about, we've all posted a shitload of videos thus far.

Will do X... how bout we drop everything that we discussed about metal & start talkin hardcore? I don't want anything ugly to happen... anywayz this is the screamo/hardcore/metalcore thread. Let's discuss...

The Agonist - 2 posts before this. They are ohkay I guess. They have a female vocalist who can scream & perform metal growls as well as sing cleanly. She has potential but I'm not sure about the band... they are presented as metalcore/melodic death metal. I dont think they are melodic death metal though.

BTW, I have discovered that Melodic Death Metal can be used in this thread as this is a subgenre of melodic metalcore, a sub genre of metalcore. And since Trivium & A7X have been mentioned... I guess I can pull out some of the following out my ass...

Arch Enemy - again a female fronted band, vocalist Angela Gossow. Founded by former Carcass members & have achieved a lot of success. They formed the Black Crusade tour with Machine Head & Trivium [sub acts mainly included Shadows Fall & DragonForce]. My favourite band within this field that I am going to see when they tour Australia in a couple of months. Wooo... ohkay, here are some vids. OMFF, this is like their greatest hits album they dont have yet:

[youtube]n9AcG0glVu4[/youtube]

[youtube]R4Dn02bR4pg[/youtube]

[youtube]mZM-d2qD15E[/youtube]

[youtube]2PuD3XrF9Hg[/youtube]​

And hell, let's chuck in a video of them with the old vocalist, Johan Liiva.

[youtube]hkuL8Nl8E1c[/youtube]​

All official videos from Century Media. Sorry about the quality of some of them, couldnt get any better ones that werent official. I would like to point out that Angela Gossow & the band are actually re-recording all of Arch Enemy's old songs performed by Johan Liiva on a new album. I cant wait...

Does Slipknot count as any of the three genres,because if so then they are my favorite in the genre,and music.Joey is great on the drums and Corey's voice is amazing.My favorite genre is any metal that is good really,I don't go by genre.

I'm heading to MayhemFest Wednesday. There's some good metalcore bands playing, and some all around good metal. A few bands I haven't seen beforer, which is rare, so I'll enjoy it a bit more.

The band I'm looking forward to most, is All That Remains. I know I've gone on about them all over WZ, but I've heard they're playing some really old stuff, which I have yet to hear live from them. Anyone else here going? Anyone else like ATR?

Ty said it first...This thread needs to be bumped...

I've got my media player on, and it keeps pulling tracks from Aiden's last album, and I'm really digging it. I never listened to too much of their early stuff, mostly because I was warned against it. I'll definitely be looking into it...

I've also had Evergreen Terrace on heavy repeat...

Egh...Aiden? Really NSL? Maybe they've gotten better but they sucked more than a $20 hooker that hopes for a $5 tip on their first album. I haven't listened to them since. So it is indeed possible they have gotten better.

As far as Evergreen Terrace goes, I got nothing against them. They're solid in fact, but they just don't click with me for some reason. I just never been that big of a fan of them, but I'm indifferent.

Personally, I've been stuck in my office doing a lot of work so I've been getting a heavy dose of At The Drive In, Hopesfall, Saosin, and Dead Poetic due to the almighty shuffle. I haven't been big on bands that mostly just scream for some reason, I've been going for that melodic post hardcore as of late for some reason. I really do miss Hopesfall though. Their last two albums they were really coming together as a great band, and then they broke up.

Yes, Aiden. I keep getting told their first album was horrible, but I'm a big fan of the last album, and a few other songs from them. I'm not saying go out and buy everything they've ever made, but at least check out a few songs.

Killing Machine and Scavengers Of The Damned are probably the best off this album. Did I mention they were outstanding at Warped Tour too? Really put on a good show...

You know I wouldn't be entirely surprised that it was just their first album that was absolute shit. If I remember correctly their first album was on Victory Records, and the dude running Victory has been known to be a douche. I could see it that maybe they were forced to change their sound for that album (you know the whole record label chooses your sound bullshit) and after it flopped, they got more creative room to work with towards what their sound should of been.

Hypothetical of course.

All right, I kept going to this thread and telling myself I was going to bump it, got lazy, never did. I'd feel a pang of remorse every time I closed that tab, I swear. A few points here.

1) Aiden are shit. Sorry NSL, but it's true. I will however admit that I absolutely loved their single "The Last Sunrise", for pop metalcore (what a phrase) it doesn't get much better. It's really a fun song. Aside from that though, they aren't very good. I think they may have had one other song I liked, but that may be my memory being generous.

2) Ty, you can't get into Evergreen Terrace? For shame! I tell you not only as someone who has seen them live but as one music lover the another, check out their first album dude. Very, very good melodic hardcore with a bit of screamo and metal mixed in for good measure. Here's a few songs you should listen to, let me know if you like them or not:

I've been looking through alot of the music I used to listen to waaaay back when I first got into screamo/post-hardcore, alot of Fear Before, From Autumn to Ashes, Saetia, Circle Takes the Square, The Number 12 Looks Like You. Been very nostalgic indeed.

I need something new. Anyone got any suggestions? Perhaps something similar to Poison the Well? Anyone?

Glad this thread got bumped, if you didn't know it, Razor and Tie has roped in Norma Jean, one of my favourite bands. They are in the process of creating a new album which I am very excited for. I have haerd the first single off of the album and think it is fucking fantastic. It is called Kill More Presidents:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back