xfear, NSL and Ty Burna Presents: The Screamo/Post-Hardcore/Metalcore Thread

Atreyu were another one of the first wave of metalcore bands that got me into the genre in the first place. To be fair though, Atreyu has always been somewhat of a metalcore-lite band. You stack them up against a band like Poison the Well, and Atreyu comes off sounding almost poppish. That said, I still really like Atreyu and Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses is a fantastic album, definately their best.

Anyways, heres a few of my favorite songs by them, in order. Sorry for the low quality of the second song "Hometown Revenge", it's the only version I could find on YouTube.

[youtube]SdvphpAxRRc[/youtube]
[youtube]7xbkzos9tCw[/youtube]
[youtube]rRyJdfkvsl8[/youtube]​

"It's so hard to see when you're eyes are rolling...in the back of your head" is such a killer line. Ain't Love Grand is probably my favorite song by them with Hometown Revenge coming in a close second.

Great band that gets way too much flack from stuck-up metalcore/screamo elitists who think you're a poseur if you listen to music that incorporates some singing and not just screaming.

God damn, look at the monster I've unleashed here, well I unleashed it, X and NSL just took it and started mauling everyone in the music section. My Hip Hop Thread will get no more love :(. I kid I ain't worried about it, Pimpin and I got that shit on lockdown.

Anyway moving on here, Atreyu was pretty bad ass with their first CD like X said, Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses. Loved that CD, easily one of my favorites back in the day. Their second album The Curse, wasn't as good as Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses, but still pretty good. That being said, I kind of got bored with Atreyu after the second album, and sort of quit listening to them. So I'm not 100% sure how good they are anymore, if they went back to SNABK style, or if they got worse. I'll have to find out.

TM mentioned Alexisonfire, absolutely awesome band, and I enjoyed the hell out of their music. Not much more to say on them I guess, I'm having a hard time finding words for everything right now.

So now I need to step up and discuss another band since everyone else is here. The band I'll throw out there is As I Lay Dying. Now barring the prototypical name, they were awesome and really rocked out hard. They brought a heavier style metalcore compared to the more melodic stylings of other bands. I'm sure most here has heard of them, but if you haven't I would suggest checking them out.

Great band that gets way too much flack from stuck-up metalcore/screamo elitists who think you're a poseur if you listen to music that incorporates some singing and not just screaming.

It's OK to list them here as "metalcore-lite", because it's in the title :p

But yes, I agree. People think you're only screamo if that's all you do, but they have no idea the toll it can take on your throat. Too many singers have had to go under the knife, and then they're never the same, and it ruins their careers. By mixing it up, it not only sounds better, but it can keep them on top for so much longer.

Avenged Sevenfold catches the same flack, but I'm still a fan, and probably always will be. Sometimes, the genre doesn't matter, as long as it sounds good.

God damn, look at the monster I've unleashed here, well I unleashed it, X and NSL just took it and started mauling everyone in the music section. My Hip Hop Thread will get no more love :(. I kid I ain't worried about it, Pimpin and I got that shit on lockdown.

I posted in there...Did you see it?

So now I need to step up and discuss another band since everyone else is here. The band I'll throw out there is As I Lay Dying. Now barring the prototypical name, they were awesome and really rocked out hard. They brought a heavier style metalcore compared to the more melodic stylings of other bands. I'm sure most here has heard of them, but if you haven't I would suggest checking them out.

As I Lay Dying is pretty good. I can't listen to them for an hour straight, but they're good to throw on a mixed CD, or to listen to a few songs while doing shit around the houser. (Yes, I clean with metal on in the background). I can't think of song names offhand, but of the two albums I have, there's a good handful that are really good. I've seen them come around my area a few times, but generally not on a tour I'd pay to see. If they do, and it's with some I'd pay for, like Otep, I'm in.

I've totally been slacking on your Hip Hop thread Ty, but I promise I'll hop back into the fray soon.

Is there any music that we don't both like Ty? I think not. As I Lay Dying was another one of the original onslaught of metalcore bands I got into that initially got me into the genre in the first place. I played their album Frail Words Collapse constantly. I haven't listened to any of the stuff they've done in the last few years though, haven't gotten around to checking it out. My two favorite songs by them, which are of course their two most popular songs probably.

[youtube]d9TR8auVv4I[/youtube]
[youtube]lsaCqWn7png[/youtube]​

And NSL...I've never really been into Avenged Sevenfold. That song that came out a few years ago that played nonstop, what was it called like "Bats" or something? I fucking HATED that song so much. But if you recommend 'em, post up a few songs you recommend and I'll give 'em a listen.

And NSL...I've never really been into Avenged Sevenfold. That song that came out a few years ago that played nonstop, what was it called like "Bats" or something? I fucking HATED that song so much. But if you recommend 'em, post up a few songs you recommend and I'll give 'em a listen.

You're thinking of Bat Country. That song was absolutely terrible. They tried way too hard to make it radio-friendly, and it failed miserably. It's not that great live either.

The first song is Critical Acclaim. It's off their latest album, but is pretty good all around. I can't find a "vdieo" of it, so stare at some album artwork while it plays :lmao: I think it's a pretty good song, and the lyrics are better than most of what they've done. I like the opening line "Shh...Quiet...I've pissed somebody off...LIKE ME MOTHER FUCKER!" Kind of campy, but good.

[youtube]jTHv7UCiXf4[/youtube]​

The next one is Unholy Confessions. It was their first "big" song, and the video is the actual official one. It's fairly easy to relate to, and is another one that works well all around. The music is good, and the singing, and bits of screaming, are both done right.

[youtube]IXSV4WRfqvg[/youtube]​

I'll only post one more. It's Blinded In Chains. It's off the same album as Bat Country, but is a lot better in my opinion. The music isn't as full of itself, and it rocks a little louder. Synyster Gates really is a good guitarist, and he shows it off here. Also some good basslines, which they do on most of their songs.

[youtube]PXgq4oUgqvI[/youtube]​

You're thinking of Bat Country. That song was absolutely terrible. They tried way too hard to make it radio-friendly, and it failed miserably. It's not that great live either.

The first song is Critical Acclaim. It's off their latest album, but is pretty good all around. I can't find a "vdieo" of it, so stare at some album artwork while it plays :lmao: I think it's a pretty good song, and the lyrics are better than most of what they've done. I like the opening line "Shh...Quiet...I've pissed somebody off...LIKE ME MOTHER FUCKER!" Kind of campy, but good.

[youtube]jTHv7UCiXf4[/youtube]​

The next one is Unholy Confessions. It was their first "big" song, and the video is the actual official one. It's fairly easy to relate to, and is another one that works well all around. The music is good, and the singing, and bits of screaming, are both done right.

[youtube]IXSV4WRfqvg[/youtube]​

I'll only post one more. It's Blinded In Chains. It's off the same album as Bat Country, but is a lot better in my opinion. The music isn't as full of itself, and it rocks a little louder. Synyster Gates really is a good guitarist, and he shows it off here. Also some good basslines, which they do on most of their songs.

[youtube]PXgq4oUgqvI[/youtube]​

When I think Avenged Sevenfold, I really like to think of their music five years ago. My roommate were just watching their concert from Long Beach a couple days ago, and chilling to it. But the one song that hooked me on the band, even before they had reached mainstream (the level that they are now)(Before Bat Country*rolls eyes*) was with this one beautiful song.

I Won't See You Tonight
[youtube]Lb_BUCPtBJo[/youtube]​

The song is beautiful, the piano, the lead guitar, Shadows's vocals, his screeches, the stead drumming, the pinning bass. everything a great song should be.

If this song represents a positive aspect of a sorrowful aspect, A7X also through out the most demonic side of the song as well.

[youtube]DhgfGytnoLk[/youtube]​

TM...Great pick. I was going to post it, but I didn't want to post a two-part song, when I was trying to hook X into the band. That song is amazing live, and everyone gets into it.

I'm going to backtrack to Walls Of Jericho now though. I had said that Candace was murder on stage, and this video shows just how nuts their shows get. It also happens to be for my favorite song from them. It's a live video, so obviously the audio is shit in some spots, but it's pretty good on the whole.

[youtube]zhPxlFtr4Bc[/youtube]​

EDIT: Someone talk with me, before this turns into "NSL Pimps His Favorites Bands"

So, X, was it? I'm listening to my media player, on random, and a song I have, but never listened to came on. As I Lay Dying ~ My Darkest Nights, and I'm in fucking love. I want to have sex with this song. The music is crisp, and fucking flows beautifully. The screaming isn't overdone, and there's some awesome clean vocals. I had to play it twice to fully grasp the epic that is this song.

I found a whole new respect for them. If it wasn't X that mention them, I apologize...

Well, NightShiftLoser seems to think I only came into this thread to bitch, apparently not bothering to read any of my other posts earlier on. For his benefit (as he asked me to do), I'll share my music taste with you guys...

In terms of stuff that fits this thread, Poison the Well, Refused, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Converge, and a great deal of post-hardcore including At the Drive-In, Sparta, Fugazi, Drive Like Jehu, Million Dead etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utT0lLC6d5Q

In terms of other general bands I like, I'd say Brand New, Thrice, MewithoutYou, Deftones, The Smiths, Joy Division, Bon Iver, Radiohead, Talking Heads, John Frusciante, Pixies etc..

Am I qualified to have an opinion that's different to yours, now, NSL?

Well, NightShiftLoser seems to think I only came into this thread to bitch, apparently not bothering to read any of my other posts earlier on. For his benefit (as he asked me to do), I'll share my music taste with you guys...

I saw 1 post that wasn't complaining about someone's choice. Every other post was an opportunity to name some bands you like, and help us understand your tastes.

In terms of stuff that fits this thread, Poison the Well, Refused, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Converge, and a great deal of post-hardcore including At the Drive-In, Sparta, Fugazi, Drive Like Jehu, Million Dead etc...

Not a bad grouping. At The Drive In, Sparta, are both hidden pleasures of mine. I don't own anything from them, but I'm more than happy to listen if someone has them on hand.

[youtube]utT0lLC6d5Q[/youtube]

I fixed it for you, I'll check the video after I post this.

In terms of other general bands I like, I'd say Brand New, Thrice, MewithoutYou, Deftones, The Smiths, Joy Division, Bon Iver, Radiohead, Talking Heads, John Frusciante, Pixies etc..

Except for Frusciante, the rest all fit here. It's not just screamo. I'm a big fan of the ones I bolded, and a casual fan of the others. I'll be seeing Thrice next week, and hope I don't miss their set. Deftones are great live, and were a big part of my first ever concert experience. Chino is just awesome.

Am I qualified to have an opinion that's different to yours, now, NSL?

You don't need to be qualified. Just go about it differently :)

OK First off warning to all in here trolling is not appropriate Raw Power I am looking at you, you are borderline trolling.

OK now onto the the topic at hand screamo/hardcore/metalcore, I saw Atreyu mentioned before, they do nothing for me, and I can never really be bothered listening to them, In other words I will not go out of my way to find Atreyu's music.

I went through a bit of a Hardcore phase with my listening last year, where I got all of Black Flag's stuff, Listened to it for like two weeks straight before Dropkick Murphys dragged my attention another way. I sort of have musical ADHD put me onto something that I like and I will listen to it until the next shiney band that takes my fancy.

I like Avenged sevenfold with my favourite track of theirs being Sidewinder, something about the flamenco guitars at the end just hooks the song there as one of great songs of this decade.

[youtube]1GCCKt_Z1q8[/youtube]

as well as Gunslinger being another of my favourite A7X songs. I am more on the side of the bands that don't just scream because after a while the screaming gets to the point of annoyance. Singers that have the ability to do both I respect far and away above pure screamers.

I have mentioned before that my favourite Walls of Jericho song is "No Saving me", it is because it is such a beautifully crafted song that it has firmly set itself as one of my top 5 favourite songs ever.

[youtube]_YssMWfbSHw[/youtube]

Well I am going to shift it back to Mathcore with this next band I would like to play for you all. Nothing in the world gets me ready in the morning like a cup of Skim Milk and some:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_grywaGIgycc/SK6R2AauofI/AAAAAAAAA8U/RB2oqj62RpY/s320/norma+jean.jpg

Norma Jean delivers that sound that is so precise, it is bone chilling. They are often referred to as a sound that only 10,000 T-Rexs could make. The band really deserves to be split into two eras. The Josh Scogin era, which I will tell you was my favourite, and the Cory Brandan era, which itself deserves some great credit.

Scogin would contribute to Norma Jean's first album, Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child. I said I praised Scogin, and it is because this would be my favourite album Norma Jean released. The big single off of the album is this one, a song called Memphis Will Be Laid to Waste.

[youtube]agdu9IQoywE[/youtube]​

After the replacing up from by Cory Brandon, the band would release three albums together to date. I will give you a song off of their "O God, The Aftermath" album. You will here the change in vocals. It isn't a bad thing by any stretch, I just haven't liked it as much vocally. But I do believe that the instrumentation improves.

Liarsenic

[youtube]bDQaNmL6QDM[/youtube]​

TM, are you sure you didn't steal my iPod or something? Again you name another band that got me into metalcore in the first place, Norma Jean. Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child is a great album. Here's another great song.

[youtube]DCQsSt0HHHk[/youtube]​

A little bit later I'm going to bring up A) Fear Before the March of Flames, because I have NO fucking idea how none of you have heard of them, and B) I'm going to delve into hardcore punk. We have far too much metalcore/screamo/mathcore in this thread, we need some fucking hardcore.

Oh and Raw Power, Joy Division + The Pixies = God.

I was going to throw up Face:Face, if I had more time to review the rest of Norma Jean. I would make it my closing song. It is probably my favourite song of theirs. And of course I have heard Fear Before... today. Last song before I pulled into work:D. The next band I really want to throw up is The Bled. Do 'y'all' enjoy the Bled? You might have to find them by yourself, all I can get is live music off of youtube.

Here is Sound of Sulfur, their best song in my books.

[youtube]cJIlX9svb-4[/youtube]

Trivium. You guys ever listen to them? They are a metalcore band that has gotten huge over the rise in hardcore music. When I got Ascendancy I fell in love with their sound. Hard, thrashy, metal sound, mixed with the hardcore melodic sound that seperates the genres.

I will admit first hand, I am not a huge metal head. Sure I'll listen to some Slipknot, Korn or whatnot here and their, but it really isn't my genre. Hardcore on the otherhand is. I'll listen to it, and people will consider the music to be metal.

This song shows the difference in the genre. Thrash/Slash and Dash.
[youtube]n_L-gCy99wk[/youtube]​

I've missed a lot, let me recap on what I've noticed:

Norma Jean - I saw them back at Ozzfest in 2006, and thought they were great live. I rushed out, bought whatever album it was that had just came out, and was unimpressed. For some reason, it just didn't "feel" the same...However, they have a new video out now, and I love it. Their screams are more "screamy", and not "growly". The video was also very well done.

Trivium - Can't believe no one mentioned them on page 1. They're amazing live, and have a sound that not many other bands can stake a claim to. I saw them at Family Values '07, and I'll be seeing them again on the 29th, as a part of MayhemFest.

For future reference, can we please keep videos in "spoiler" tags, for those of us (i.e. me) with slower connections? This took forever to load...Thanks...

I like Tirvium, I think shogun is their best work so far and should have been produced instead of the weaker album in The crusade. I said before I have Musical ADD so if something is still on my iPod now it is generally a good song, and "like Callisto to a Star in Heaven" meets that requirement. I like the pace of the song, as well as the way the vocals are delivered.

[youtube]VAwdHRHH1-M[/youtube]

Yo guys, awesome band I forgot to mention last time that I've been listening to lately - anyone like Glassjaw? It's like hardcore/post-hardcore with some interesting instrumentation and awesome vocals. I'll post a couple of videos here, let me know what you think!

Ok, no good videos, I'll just link their last.fm.

http://www.last.fm/music/Glassjaw

That only has small clips - but seriously, go seek out their stuff, especially from the album Worship and Tribute, I think a lot of you will like them if you don't already.

Oh noes this thread has fainted, don't worry, I'll resuscitate it!

Alright all jokes aside, I wanted to talk about a band I used to listen to quite a bit a few years ago. I think you've probably heard of them, but Converge was a pretty popular band in my scene, and honestly, one of my favorite hardcore bands to this day. They hit fucking hard, and they just have a knack for always lifting my energy up during the day and venting anger out. Whatever, besides the point they are an awesome band and just to show anyone who hasn't heard of them, here are a few videos:

[youtube]Go8KMq_WjLI[/youtube]

[youtube]utT0lLC6d5Q[/youtube]

[youtube]LeTSz02UXjs[/youtube]

Anyway, what do y'all think of Converge? Since they are from the New England area, I have a feeling X is going to be pretty familiar with these guys.

Of course I know Converge Ty! Seen 'em at Club Hell and at Lupos as well, though I'm sure you guys have never heard of either of those two venues. Their shows were always among the most extreme that I went to, the pits and circles in the crowd whenever that band plays are fucking insane. Blood all over your carefully chosen band tee shirt kind of insane.

Great band. I keep forgetting about this thread because of all the modding I do, but I'll try to get around to adding another band to the discussion later on, after we've had some time to talk about Converge. True pioneers.

Not only is Converge a great band but some of their members have gone on to form some other awesome bands as well such as Cave In and Bane. Hell I have seen some pretty dedicated Converge fans, one of those being my friend Levi. Levi, I guess you could say is you prototypical fashion obsessed hardcore fan who has to be better than everyone and have the first album of a band first. Now just to piss him off one time at a show in Fargo, where Dead To Fall was playing, I bought these fingerless gloves with the band name on them. Why? Because I knew it would piss him off because I got them first and he didn't.

I did little things like that to piss him off, but honestly I have never met someone that is as dedicated to the hardcore scene as he is. And he's such a huge Converge fan that he actually tattooed their symbol on the side of his torso, probably one of the most painful areas for tattoos. Real cool guy though, he introduced me to a ton of bands and actually gave me some of his rarer vinyls that he had.

I'm bored, so I'm posting, deal wit it.

Boys Night Out, I just refound my love for this band. Now if you haven't heard of them, I would highly recommend their album Trainwreck. It's a beautiful album and the entire album is based on a story written by the lead singer. Possibly one of the best concept album I have ever heard, and the addition of their female vocalist just adds another dimension to the entire group. While they're not hard, or metalcore or scream, I find it is a refreshing change from the usual. They have a poppy sound, but its the type of music I could sit back and relax to when I don't have hip hop playing 98% of the time.

Anyway let's get to some songs:

[youtube]bgUNCuSM9vA[/youtube]

[youtube]PLmieZMmJhU[/youtube]

[youtube]tOdl7A5y6wQ[/youtube]

By far their newer music is much better than their older stuff in my opinion. While I was a fan of them with their older material, it was Trainwreck that really made a big fan out of me. Check em out, I think you'll like em.

Sorry I have been away from this thread, been up to some other things. I do love Converge, especially the Phoenix dual.

[youtube]wNJ_r9o51bA[/youtube]

It has to be my favourite song to play when someone is coming up the stairs into my flat. Yes I give people entrance songs.

And Boys Night Out, I listen to them a little. Though, my introduction to them was due to a girl I was about to date's love for them. Okay of stuff, not my favourite.

Hey I got a band for y'all today. Not sure how many have heard of them, but they go by the name of Saosin.

Now there are sort of 2 different incarnations of this band. The first one was with Vocalist Anthony Green who is the master of making a band popular then jumping ship because he "Doesn't like the direction the band is going in" and moving on to a new band. But irregardless the man is a hell of a vocalist, he has a great singing voice and can scream pretty good as well. The second incarnation has a different vocalist, who has a singing voice eerily similar to Mr. Green's, but I don't believe he does any screaming.

Now that I got that out of the way, let me go onto say I fell in love with this band the moment I purchased their 5 song EP just on a random fit of purchasing rage. Melodic, but they also have some awesome guitars to go with the amazing vocal work the lead singers put in. So it's pretty awesome how they bring the melodic sound amongst a fast paced instrumentals and screaming vocals. If you haven't heard of them, I would check them out. And here's a few songs to listen to as well.

[youtube]Ux_ZYXUemTU[/youtube]

[youtube]Ec16U1DXip0[/youtube]

[youtube]D_BiZNHflsg[/youtube]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back