WWE's next Iron Man Match

As for people in it, you want people with cardio. Cena is a great choice for it as he's in incredible shape and never gets tired. it seems. As for an opponent, hard to say. That's the tricky part really as it's hard to pick someone with enough energy and stamina to last that long. Hard to say who could go against him but I think Cena is a must in it.

I agree with the first paragraph, so I won't respond to it. However,I do believe that cardio is a secondary issue to the problem with having an Ironman match. A bigger issue is how to go an hour without sending the audience to sleep. It can be done, and it regularly did happen in the 80s. Of course, since then the wrestling world has changed, with faster paced matches being the norm. However the pressing issue still remains the psychology of a match rather than the cardiovascular conditioning of the participents.

I'm busy re-watching old NWA/WCW matches at the moment and really the 'iron man' concept of wrestling one hour was done way before the WWE introduced it at Mania 12. I think matches should be given more time, regardless of calling it an actual iron man match, similar to the 2002 early roster split days were the main event of that evening was given a good 20min slot of in ring time. NWA 2/3 fall matches with one hour time limits were so brilliantly done, in that they'd sometimes end up in a draw. Yes, the wrasslin world has moved on, even admitted by Vinnie & co during the HHH v Rock ironman match build up as in 'are people really gonna be interested for the whole hour'. I say yes they would be, but i say no current roster feud or future potential fued really grabs me as to say 'i think those two should have an iron man match'. Even Cena v Orton didnt work for me personally.

In order for an Ironman Match to work, both wrestlers have to have a variety of offensive moves. Sure, there are moments / minutes when one of the guys has to lock in an armbar or something, but having a pair of wrestlers who are mat technicians simply wouldn't work.

Fans these days expect more than mat wrestling. A good technical match isn't appreciated by the "newer" generation of wrestling fans. They want guys flying around, defying death, using weapons, etc... Us lifelong wrestling fans, or the "older" generation, understand that some of the best matches ever involve technical guys, not high flyers. There's a reason why Angle, Guerrero, Benoit, HHH, etc... are considered some of the best and it's not because they are / were spot monkeys.

Lots of posts suggest Cena should be part of a new Ironman Match, but wouldn't his supposed "5 moves" be about 25 moves too few ? I think the cat has a lot more wrestling in him than most people give him credit for, but he does have an issue with selling spots (tough to argue this one), so an Ironman Match just doesn't fit his mold IMO.

If it was going to happen, and I don't believe it ever will, at least not in the near future... the only logistical guys I can see doing it on WWE's roster are Jericho, Swagger, McIntyre, Morrison and Ziggler. I'm sure there are names that I'm missing, but...

Personally, I think there are more well-rounded wrestlers in TNA that could accomplish an Ironman Match a lot better... Styles, RVD and Kaz just to name a few.

Unfortunately, their storylines are so awful right now, that it doesn't matter if the Knockouts wrestle naked, it would be tough to make me interested. Well... OK... yeah, I'd watch that !!

An Ironman match is a match that WWE should only pull out every couple of years. It really is the type of match that will make it difficult to watch another one on one encounter between the two in the future. That's why so many people claim "same old stuff" between two conpetitors when there's an IronMan match, especially an hour long one. It also never determines a superior competitor, as the numerous pinfalls almost never lead to a decisive winner, as the match is generally won, by one, within the last minutes.

Technically, the last two "Ironman" matches within WWE have involved John Cena. While it wasn't technically labeled an Ironman Match, the Cena/HBK clash on Raw in April of 2007 went over an hour. Cena was also involved in the "Anything Goes" IronMan Match with Randy Orton at Bragging Rights 2009. Both were stellar matches that further cemented Cena's adaptability and versatility in the ring.

I would loved to see John Cena vs CM Punk in an IronMan match in the future. For those who say Cena can't pull it off, I presented exhibit A and B as to how he certainly can above. Punk would be a logical choice because they've yet to feud and have only squared off a few times, but in those times, the matches they've had have been quite good. Both of them are tireless workers within the ring with seemingless endless supplies of energy. I don't think tis should be a Wrestlemania attraction as it would shorten the card and leave dother deserving performers and perhaps matches off the card. But Punk vs Cena could be the next great IronMan match given their past experience in long matches(Cena in WWE, Punk in ROH).

This may sound crazy, but I say put Miz in an Iron Man match, as I think it would be a make-or-break situation for him. It will prove just how good he is (or isn't) & whether he deserves this main event push or not.

After last night, I wouldn't mind seeing JoMo & Sheamus going at each other for an hour, they put on a hell of a show & it easily blew Cena/Barrett out of the water.

I think that for an Ironman match to work, it has to have 2 clear points: both wrestlers need to be versatile and well rounded, and also be in a main event level feud. In my opinion, an Ironman just wouldn't have the same effect in the midcard. That being said, I think if you took any 2 of- Cena, Orton, Punk, Edge, possibly HHH if he can still go that long, then it would work. Also can add Morrison, Swagger and within 18 months or so Ziggler if they can become permanent main eventers. If/when Y2J returns, he could easily pull it off as well. While I dont argue that Danielson could pull off the match, I just dont see him getting to the main event in WWE.

The thing with iron man matches!! you have to pick 2 wrestlers who can fight!! and can keep it going for a long time!! Triple H proved he could do it back in 2000 and so did The Rock..

When I think about the iron man match now and the superstars, I think it should be Daniel Bryan definately!! and the other well there could be a few and one I would like to see is JoMo! He can easily keep me entertained in the ring for an hour!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back