• Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels

• The Rock vs. Triple H

• Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar

• Chris Benoit vs. Triple H

• Randy Orton vs. John Cena

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Brain

King Of The Ring
Last night we had the Iron Man Match between John Cena and Randy Orton. From what I’ve read most liked this match a lot. Some felt it was just average. I didn’t see anyone stating that they did not like the match at all. One thing I was surprised at was some people saying they didn’t like the original Iron Man Match from WrestleMania XII. There have now been five 60 minute Iron Man Matches (I really hope I’m not forgetting any). My question is simple. Which was your favorite? In case you’ve forgotten, here’s the list in chronological order:

Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania XII:

This is my favorite. This is not only my favorite Iron Man Match, but one of my favorite (if not my absolute favorite) matches of all time. This was beautiful. I have never looked forward to a match more than this. I haven’t looked forward to one more since either. Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels are my two favorite wrestlers to watch. To get a 60 minute match between the two as the main event of WrestleMania was a dream come true. I know a lot of people complain about the rest holds. What’s wrong with rest holds? There are rest holds in a 20 minute match. You have to expect more in a 60 minute match. These two told a perfect story that night. Ending in a 0-0 tie was pure genius. That was a great idea. This match lived up to my high expectations.

The Rock vs. Triple H, Judgment Day 2000:

I didn’t have anywhere near the expectations for this one. I thought they delivered a pretty good match. I also thought there were too many falls. Loved the return of The Undertaker at the end.

Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar, SmackDown September 2003:

This one was disappointing to me. I had big expectations for this and I don’t think it delivered. Don’t get me wrong, it was a good match. I just thought it would be a lot better. The problem for me was it was not what I was expecting. These were two of the best amateur wrestlers ever. I felt there should have been a lot more wrestling and less weapons and cheap shots. The booking of this match would have worked better for Cena vs. Orton.

Chris Benoit vs. Triple H, RAW July 2004:

I liked this one. A few too many falls for my liking, but a good match nonetheless. The hour seemed to fly by in this one more than any of the others in my opinion. Very enjoyable.

Randy Orton vs. John Cena, Bragging Rights 2009:

I was pleasantly surprised by this match. I wasn’t sure what to expect. I thought the two could put on a good match, but I wasn’t sure if they would. I liked Orton’s strategy of tapping early to the STF and playing cat and mouse when he had the lead. I think Cena should have put the STF on with about 90 seconds left. Orton could have tapped with 30 seconds left. For him to tap with only five seconds left does seem a little silly. It would be ok if he didn’t have access to the time, but he did. While I don’t think it’s match of the year like a lot seem to, I did enjoy the match.

Overall I’d say all the Iron Man Matches have been pretty good. Besides last night’s I haven’t seen any in quite a while so I’m going by memory from years ago. For me the original is still the best and most likely always will be.

I've seen all these matches but i think the fact i only remembered the benoit vs HHH match when i saw this post says alot about that particular match to me. My favourite however, is the bret hart vs hbk iron man match at wm12. i thought that this match told more of a story than the others and from a pure wrestling point of view was excellent. I think the reason people don't like it is because it had no falls unlike the others. If memory serves me hhh vs the rock and orton vs cena both were 6-5, angle vs lesner 4-3 again i don't remember hhh vs benoit. This match was pure wrestling without the use of chairs, tables, 2x4's or sledgehammers, i think this also leads to people dismissing this classic. I think because it was wwf/e's first iron man match it was always be different from the others much like the first hell in a cell or ladder matches

I think the reason people don't like it is because it had no falls unlike the others.

You're probably right, but this is something I can not fathom. The fact that it had no falls MADE that match. It's what sets it apart from the others. I absolutley love that it was 0-0 after 60 minutes. Brilliant. Also, like you said, straight wrestling for an hour. No need for interference or weapons. By far the best in my opinion.

people forget that the iron man match between hart and michaels had a lasting impact on wrestling for a very wrong reason: the end of the sharpshooter as an effective finishing move. Before WM 12 no one stayed in the sharpshooter for more than 10-15 seconds tops. But Michaels stayed in the hold for over a minute. Afterwards, every wrestler took the same approach and the sharpshooter became like every other submission move that guys just stay in and get to the ropes.

Plus, the match was bogus. The match should not have had overtime. It was a bogus stipulation added by fatass monsoon AFTER the match had ended. Since it was a draw, Hart shouldve kept the belt.

Last night was the best iron man match.

people forget that the iron man match between hart and michaels had a lasting impact on wrestling for a very wrong reason: the end of the sharpshooter as an effective finishing move. Before WM 12 no one stayed in the sharpshooter for more than 10-15 seconds tops. But Michaels stayed in the hold for over a minute. Afterwards, every wrestler took the same approach and the sharpshooter became like every other submission move that guys just stay in and get to the ropes.

Plus, the match was bogus. The match should not have had overtime. It was a bogus stipulation added by fatass monsoon AFTER the match had ended. Since it was a draw, Hart shouldve kept the belt.

The fact that Shawn stayed in the sharpshooter so long only added to the drama of the match. Shawn had just battled for 59 minutes. He got trapped in Bret's finishing move. Could he hang on one more minute? He didn't need to escape. He just needed to survive. Good stuff.

By the way this would be one of the last times Bret would use the sharpshooter as a face. He was gone thoughout most of 96. Austin stayed in the sharpshooter for a long time at WM13 and it MADE him. After that Bret was heel so of course the babyfaces could last longer in the sharpshooter.

Let's not blame Monsoon for overtime. You do realize it wasn't his call don't you? It's actually pretty simple booking. Bret looks good lasting the full 60 minutes, but Shawn looks good winning in overtime and getting the title.

personally, i like the rock vs triple h the best. pretty much because this was the hight of wrestling in my opinion. you have triple h who was the ultimate bad guy at the time who i hated with a passion (because i was younger and did not realize what was a good worker and what was a bad one yet). then there was the rock who is my favorite wrestler of all time and at the time was getting the biggest pop in the business. shawn michaels as guest referee, who i obviously was nervous about at the time because of his relationship with hhh. then you have the undertakers awesome return at the end of the match, even tho it costed the rock the wwf title. it was an awesome match with the perfect feud. though after this match, i feel like they went in the wrong direction of doing the whole rock, undertaker, kane vs hhh and mcmahon deal but it is still one of my favorite matches, feuds, and even the promo for the match is one of my favorites.

THis question really doesnt need a big explainaton. HBK vs, Bret Hart hands down. That was one of the greatest matches in history. Compaired to the others, it had the most meaning two.
Orton/Cena would be the worst. I mean c'mon, i was stupid for buying that ppv. If i wanted to watch Cena and Orton fight for an hour i would just watch a couple raws. It just felt like the ppv failed along with Cena and Orton

I think something all of us have to realize is the fact that the Bret vs. Shawn match SET the standard. It was so well done and like Bret said himself, they cut a pace like no others could do at the time. All of the other Ironman matches mentioned above were awesome...except the Cena vs. Orton. I think it was unique and had moments of greatness...but for only minutes at a time.

Angle vs. Lesnar = what was said, poorly booked.

Benoit vs. HHH = great great match.

Rock vs. HHH = great match as well. Mainly for the reason that although there were too many falls and the actual match itself was only decent, the Rock is so captivating. You cannot...CANNOT get bored of watching the Rock, and I've never met anyone who has been. The way he sells, his bursts of energy, his grabbing the mic mid-match, and just his presence...put him in a 2-hour ironman. I'll watch.

Overall, definitely Bret vs. Shawn, the two best workers in the business at the time, and some of the top of all time. Some people say it was boring but those people generally don't like Bret's in-ring work or think Shawn's overrated. It was the best ironman match...point. Blank. Period.

why dont you sound like a hbk basher probably one of those who hate hbk and the way the montreal incident leaves a bad taste in your mouth
do you realy want to have had bret hart leave wrestlemania with the title after a draw? the storyline going into the match was that shawn had come back from his near career-ending "post concussion syndrome"(ironic hey!) which he suffered after a enzugiri by owen his come back to win the one title that has alluded(not sure if correct spelling sorry) him shawn boyhood dream of being the world champion.....o dont forget when piper made this match he stated that there must be a winner no quick pins to end the match, no count outs to end the match, no dq to end the match to wrestle for 60 minutes to see who truely is the best and what made this match special was that after 60 minutes they still couldnt prove who the better man was who could you not love that thats like a fifa world cup final going to a penalty shootout pure suspense and drama!!!this is what wrestlemania is suppose to be..this is why its the greatest iron man match
but you want wrestemania to end on a draw right....
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................WOOWOOWOO!!!.................................................

is it me or did WWE make it seem like john cena is unstoppable, think about i didn't order bragging right and one of the pictures on wwe.com involves orton making the pyro go off where cena was laying and yet cena still won, but when hardy had that "pyro accident" they had the medics their and everything

No question it's the Hart/Michaels Iron Man match. It was a TRUE Iron Man match. Two guys beating the hell out of each other IN THE RING. I'll give Cena/Orton it's due and say it was greatly entertaining, but as far as match quality's concerned, it pales in comparison to Hart/Michaels. There was a lot on the line for both competitors. Pride, the WWE Title, and HBK's boyhood dream. The Cena/Orton match was basically the WWE saying, "We've had enough. End this thing."

There were so many great moments from that match, and even OVERTIME for the two competitors. BOTH were genuinely winded at the end of it. They poured their heart and soul into that match and had the fans glued to the action the whole match. And there was no falls count everywhere B.S. to make up for the lack of technical wrestling Cena and Orton use.

Hart/Michaels gets this by a mile.

hbk/bret hart without a doubt! Speaking of which when watching PPVs back in that era and before all PPV matches just had that big important feel when watching them. Now and days your lucky if any matches have that feeling. I dont know maybe it was just the Finks voice that did that. Anyways Bret Hart/HBK was the best no pinfalls/submissions, was 0 - 0 which help made that match so good.

As far as Cena coming back after the explosions the other night, WWE loses alot of credibility when they all of a sudden wrestler can come back from some whenever the WWE wants em to. Its the same with finishers, some guys go forever with nobody kicking out and then out of the blue they decide someone can kick out of that 3 or 4 times in one match before being pinned by it, I mean come on!!!

I just figured it out reading another post. Every match felt important back in the early - mid 90s because we didnt have a PPV every 3 weeks like we do now. Had the main 5 ( Royal Rumble, Wreslemania, Summerslam, Survivor Series, King of the Ring) so by time you got to a PPV everything that happened was big.

hbk/bret hart without a doubt! Speaking of which when watching PPVs back in that era and before all PPV matches just had that big important feel when watching them. Now and days your lucky if any matches have that feeling. I dont know maybe it was just the Finks voice that did that. Anyways Bret Hart/HBK was the best no pinfalls/submissions, was 0 - 0 which help made that match so good.

As far as Cena coming back after the explosions the other night, WWE loses alot of credibility when they all of a sudden wrestler can come back from some whenever the WWE wants em to. Its the same with finishers, some guys go forever with nobody kicking out and then out of the blue they decide someone can kick out of that 3 or 4 times in one match before being pinned by it, I mean come on!!!

For those of you who only saw the heavily edited clips on Raw, Randy Orton attempted to blow Cena up, but Cena got out of the way in time. The commercial for the replay definitely tried to make it look like it might have happened. It was still a fun spot though; Orton's expressions were great and you could tell when he got the idea. As strong as they book Cena, I still don't think he would have (kayfabe) taken an explosion and been joking around on Raw the next night. Remember the "1000 WATT SPOTLIGHT!!!"? They milked that for weeks, maybe even a couple months.

Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle was my favourite Iron Man Match.

Why Lesnar/Angle:
Lesnar vs. Angle was creative genius!! Brock Lesnar giving up a DQ fall (steel chair attack) just to gain the advantage was a nice touch, and the struggle at the end was gold! Brock Lesnar (unlike Orton) withstood the final 8 secs.

Why not Cena/Orton:
Decent match, but believe me, when you're at you're Breaking Point with 8 secs left, YOU WON'T TAP! Adrenaline will help you get through those 8 secs. (Plus the STF is a stupid submission b/c your hands are free and close to the pressure point. You can easily fight out of it.)

Why not HHH/Benoit:
Benoit wasn't over with the fans, which made it not interesting to me. Benoit (like Mysterio) was only over at Wrestlemania...everything fizzled out after.

And why not HBK/Bret:
This is entertainment. Not every fan is going to like HBK/Bret because all was just two guys play fighting for an hour and some.

you make a good point; if anybody remembers correctly, when Piper made the match he specifically said "there will be NO SUDDEN DEATH, NO OVERTIME" that didn't hold up. Still my favorite Iron Man Match by far.

Without a doubt Bret vs. HBK @ WM12. This is just a purist dream match and both men really put on an excellent match. Even Tony Chimmel got superkicked, so yeah this one was awesome.

Angle vs. Lesnar and Rock vs. HHH were watchable. I thought these two were kinda ruin by all of the weapons and outside action.

Bret vs. Michaels was AWFUL. Easily the most overrated match in the history of professional wrestling. Oh sure, we get the epic video packages about it every year and are sold on the boyhood dream, and the passion, and we're all riled up about how it was about competition and not weapons, and they used holds like real wrestlers, and OMG it's RASSLEMANIA!!... but come on... There was twenty minutes top of worthwhile action in that match. The rest holds wore on you. I could care less about what kind of clinic this supposedly was, it didn't hold one's interest over the course of an hour like a couple of the other Iron Man matches did. Additionally, professional wrestling isn't just about holds so I couldn't care less about how many this match had.

Honestly, I think some of the antics in Angle-Lesnar, Rock-Austin, and Cena-Orton kept those matches alive from bell to bell. I know some people can make a straight up hour long match work, but Shawn and Bret failed to on that night despite how history is sold.

Bret vs. Michaels was AWFUL. Easily the most overrated match in the history of professional wrestling. Oh sure, we get the epic video packages about it every year and are sold on the boyhood dream, and the passion, and we're all riled up about how it was about competition and not weapons, and they used holds like real wrestlers, and OMG it's RASSLEMANIA!!... but come on... There was twenty minutes top of worthwhile action in that match. The rest holds wore on you. I could care less about what kind of clinic this supposedly was, it didn't hold one's interest over the course of an hour like a couple of the other Iron Man matches did. Additionally, professional wrestling isn't just about holds so I couldn't care less about how many this match had.

Honestly, I think some of the antics in Angle-Lesnar, Rock-Austin, and Cena-Orton kept those matches alive from bell to bell. I know some people can make a straight up hour long match work, but Shawn and Bret failed to on that night despite how history is sold.

Could not agree more. Bret vs HBK was a snoozefest. I don't think it did a particularly good job of telling a story. It might have been technically sound but technical excellence only works so long before it gets boring.

Aside from Michaels in the Sharpshooter and Chimel getting some SCM, I remember nothing about the 60 mins. I have tried to watch it at least a dozen times and never make it through to the end without fast-forwarding. It just does not grab my interest.

My favourite is probably Angle vs Lesnar. It had the mixture of technical wrestling, outside interference, good heel work from Lesnar and the unexpected end with Lesnar holding on in the Ankle Lock long enough to win the title.

Yeah although the Orton-Cena Iron man match wasn't the best of all time neither was HBK and Bret Hart. That match was almost all rest holds it was an overall boring match with a classic finish obviously people just voted for that based on reputation over what the actual match was.

I liked HHH vs. the Rock the best mostly because of the outside interferences and the build up towards the match HHH was at his best then and well the Rock is the great one. I liked Angle and Lesnar better than the HBK-Hart match too these two had amazing chemistry and this match just showed us all what they could do amazing.

If I had to rank them it would be:

1. HHH vs. The Rock- may be an unpopular choice but it's extremely underrated.
2. Angle vs. Lesnar- Technical Wrestling at it's best.
3. (tie) HBK vs. Hart- one of the most overrated matches in wrestling history but one of the best endings ever.
3. (tie) Orton vs. Cena- it was far better than anybody including me thought it would be I probably need to watch it again to get a better feel for it though.
5. Benoit vs. Triple H- The Game started slowing down a bit here but it was still a solid match Eugene's interference was pretty cool. Could do without HHH drooling all over the ring after though lol.

you make a good point; if anybody remembers correctly, when Piper made the match he specifically said "there will be NO SUDDEN DEATH, NO OVERTIME" that didn't hold up. Still my favorite Iron Man Match by far.

Sorry but you're wrong dude.his actual finishing remark on the match was "there MUST be a winner"!!!!!!!!there was to be NO DRAWS.thats why it went longer.please make sure you check into things.but you are right in saying bret/shawn was the greatest.no match meant more for the business.that elevated hbk for one.not only that it ushered in the "entertainment"/attitude era forr ww(f/e).it was the changing of the guard so to speak.

This shouldnt even be up for discussion! Without a doubt the best Iron Man match was the Original at Wrestlemania 12, for countless reasons. (Reason 1: There was only 2 falls in the match, not 11. (Reason 2: Bret Hart vs HBK Legendary match without an hr time limit (Reason 3: Everything after WM12 was a poor attempt at a classic match (Reason 4: Any match longer than an hr featuring Cena or The Rock will involve 2,000 punches and about 6 wrestling moves (Reason 5:Overtime (Reason 6: No interference in the original Iron Man (Reason 7: HBK captured his "boyhood dream" and became World Champion on the biggest stage of them all (Reason 8:Hart and Michaels are far more resilient and capable of WRESTLING for an hour (Reason 9:Michaels did not tap out as time expired although he was in the sharpshooter for a long time (Reason 10:Shawn stole the show again at WrestleMania (Reason 11: Michaels vs Hart is not only the best Iron Man match, it is one of the best matches of all time!!:worship:

Hell, I'll just rank them.

5. Cena/Orton - It...just...kept...dragging...on...and....on.......and.........on......seriously, the pacing was fucking awful, the pyro spot was out of a Looney Tunes cartoon (I was fully expecting to hear Orton say "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom!"), obligatory SuperCena comeback with TEN MINUTES LEFT, Orton bitch-tapping at the beginning (yes, I get it, damage control...but the damn hold wasn't even on yet), Legacy never coming back (TWO of them can't hold off ONE person? At least cut backstage...was plenty of downtime to do so...), the 30 second intervals...it was all just piss-poorly done. The match had it's moments (that SWANK FU counter into the RKO, FU through table, Cena saying "fuck stitches, I wanna bleed"), but overall, it really shouldn't have been an hour...would have been a great 30-minute match, but an hour was ridiculous.

4. HBK/Bret - This gets shit on because the psychology is off the ENTIRE match. Shawn worked Bret's arm for damn near 20 minutes, only to have Bret no sell it the rest of the match by potatoing Shawn with the SAME ARM THAT WAS BEING WORKED! I love the fact that they never had a fall until overtime (which was definately needed, don't care what anyone says...you can't have a tie in a match like this), and HBK and Bret are two of the greatest workers ever, but just something about this match always left a bad taste in my mouth.

3. HHH/Benoit - I love Chris Benoit. I hate Triple H. That is all.

2. Lesnar/Angle - This is actually a polarizing match...no one has ever seen all 60 minutes unless they were there. It got broken up by commercials when it aired and it hasn't seen a DVD release (maybe an Epic Matches compilation featuring matches that went long?). But what I saw was two of the best amateur wrestlers of all time put on a clinic of catch and counter wrestling. If ever there was a time for Brock to REALLY shine, this match was it...and it proved big men can go too...if anyone doubts if Lesnar can make it 5 rounds in the UFC, this match proves it.

1. Triple H/Rock - OK, even though I hate trips, I got to admit that he was quite the workhorse in '99 and '00 (you know, before he solidified his place as a McMahon and his muscles started exploding off the bone), even believably putting over Billy Gunn and TAKA (seriously...I thought TAKA was gonna pull off an upset after that Michinoku Driver). That said, this was a fantastic brawl, and one with psychology to it...this is what Orton/Cena COULD have been, but wasn't. Sure, the ending kinda sucks, but at the time they needed it. Another match that I don't think has seen the light of day, but a fantastic one at that.

In all honesty...I should put HBK/Cena as #1, but that wasn't billed as an Iron Man match....it was just a good old fashioned Broadway, which wrestling is sorely missing...give something special to the fans, just like this match.

Errrr i think some people have forgot HBK vs Angle Iron man match. On RAW. 2005. Homecoming. Remember anyone? Anyone?

It was a damn good iron man match but with a bullshit ending but it left the fans wanting more from them it should have been on a ppv and with a hour time limit i would rank it 2nd.

1st being Rock vs HHH no one really expected it too be good as it was the Undertaker return just added to the greatness of this underrated match.

Point blank period the best ironman match in WWE history hands down goes to shawn michaels and Bret Hart.... I dont think in da history of ironman matches that any of them went to an extra period except 4 this match and neither man didnt have a pinfall... Matter fact i think its da longest one ever... A close second tho is da Angle vs Lesnar match because of the story going into this match and it being the last match between the two..... But overall Bret vs Shawn hands down and what also makes dat match great is it was at Wrestlemania and it being the only Ironman match in Mania history.... Yes I Know I Am a Genius....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back