WWEs Gimmick Match Themed PPVs

ProWrestlingFan

Championship Contender
Since 2009 WWE started introducing Match themed PPVs (PPVs named after matches) like Hell in a Cell, Money in the Bank, Elimination Chamber, TLC etc. In my opinion this is pretty stupid and easy way for WWE Creative to book. I mean how easy it is to book matches where the PPV is named after that match and other than that it also has no excitement factor.

And if they want to keep it that way than all matches in the Themed PPV should be the same match. Like Every match in Hell in a Cell should be contested inside the Hell in a Cell. Take Elimination Chamber 2012 for example both Elimination Chamber matches were not even the Main-Event on a PPV named after that match. Thats incredibly stupid.

TNA has Lockdown in which all matches take place inside a steel cage not just one or two matches. In my opinion it was better when WWE had PPVs names that didn't have anything to do with a "Gimmick match" Like Backlash, Unforgiven,No Mercy etc.

So do you like Match Themed PPVs or the WWEs old format of PPVs ?

To be honest, I'm indifferent to either format.

To me all that matters is that we get good Pay per view matches. Whether the card is pre-set with a gimmick match or not isn't a factor in deciding the quality of the matches. However it does effect the build to the match (which results in the amount of people that care about the match). That said WWE has proven that hey can still build a good card with great storylines regardless of the fact that "we know that there is going to be (insert gimmick match) at the PPV. If I know that a feud was going to be contested in a Hell in a Cell match simply because it's name indicates it that alone would not completely ruin it for me. The build to it and the match itself are what determine my opinion on that.

On the case of the past formats for PPVs such as Backlash, No Mercy and others I will admit that it seems more unpredictable to predict the gimmick of the match. The build and the matches itself are what count just as it does with the current PPVs, no difference.

My opinion on PPVs are that it doesn't matter what their named or to a lesser extent what it implies. They are based on the quality of the matches and the progression of storylines at them.

I do not hold a position regarding the whole idea of gimmicked match PPV names, because I like the idea of Survivor Series (although I feel like they could have and should have more Survivor Series style matches on the ppv than they did recently).

However I do feel that some gimmick matches should be part of other ppvs and not their own ppv. I am one of those people who thinks that Money in the Bank should be at Wrestlemania only. I also believe it should be one briefcase which can be cashed on either brand title, which could help "shake things up." I agree though that "Hell in a Cell" should not be its own ppv, or if it is to have all the matches determined in it rather than one or two.

I'm torn between the two sides on this one. On one hand I think having damn near every PPV center around a gimmick match breeds lazy booking and takes all-important time away from the actual feuds and stories being told. On the other hand those gimmicky PPVs sometimes turn out to be the WWE's best events of the year... Let's take a look at 2011's full PPV schedule:

Royal Rumble: The original WWE gimmick PPV. I don't hear anybody arguing that they should do away with the Rumble, and why should they? This wasn't the BEST event of the year, but it did feature some great matches and a Rumble match with some cool spots and fun entrants.

Elimination Chamber: Likely the best gimmick-themed PPV of the year. 2010's event saw two phenominal Chamber matches and a nostalgic moment for Jerry Lawler, as he took on the Miz for the WWE Championship in a surprisingly solid match.

WrestleMania XXVII: A few words come to mind when I think about Mania 27... Underwhelming. Boring. Terrible pacing. Unable to live up to any of the hype and expectations that they put forth. I loved Rhodes/Mysterio, Orton/Punk, and of course the No Holds Barred (a gimmick match) between Triple H and Undertaker, but that's it. The good those matches produced was destroyed by Michael Cole and the way they set up the card. So our first non-gimmick based PPV of 2011, the biggest show of all no less, and it sucked.

Extreme Rules: A night filled from head to toe with gimmick matches. Steel cages, ladder matches, falls count anywhere, you name it! And guess what... It was one of my favorite events of the year! Christian and Alberto del Rio tore the house down and delivered a truly special moment coming off the heels of Edge's retirement. Cena/Miz/Morrison delivered inside the Steel Cage. Orton and Punk stole the show in a lot of people's eyes. Mysterio and Cody Rhodes, once again, produced. And to top it all off, even the Divas entertained, putting on one of the best women's matches I've seen in years and ushering in the debut of Kharma at the same time.

Over the Limit: Randy Orton and Christian's excellent match was literally the only saving grace of this PPV. Cena/Miz was alright...pretty much nothing outside the usual, expected Cena title defense. The rest of the card was pretty terrible, and the Sin Cara vs Chavo Guerrero match that was supposed to bring the house down ended up being lackluster at best. It wasn't a total disaster of a night, but definitely not a check in the "thumbs up" category for non-gimmick PPVs.

Capitol Punishment: This had a politically themed gimmick, but the matches themselves didn't really have any sort of theme. Some good matches with Punk/Mysterio, Orton/Christian II, and Ziggler/Kingston for the US title. I'd give non-gimmick PPVs their first check in the positive column, but only just. It wasn't THAT great of an event, but most definitely the best for non-gimmick events thus far.

Money in the Bank: A gimmick PPV that was hands-down the best PPV of the year. This is sort of the exception though, because there can only be two gimmick matches based off the concept, forcing the writers and wrestlers to come up with good material for the rest of the show. If we had to keep any one gimmick event, this would be my pick for sure.

SummerSlam: The two title match main events were solid, but ADR cashing in on Punk left a really bad taste in my mouth. The rest of the card...meh. Not a gimmick PPV, but one that has been around for a very long time.

Night of Champions: Head to toe this one was full of great wrestling matches. I would really upset by Cena winning the WWE title IMMEDIATELY after ADR had won it at SummerSlam, but I have to admit I really loved this event. There are a lot of mixed reactions with NoC 2011, but I'm putting in the plus column.

Hell in a Cell: Not a great event, but not a terrible one either. Another title switch, but this time with a phenomenal ending. The match card was solid, it's only real fault was that not much of consequence actually happened, save for the end.

Vengeance: This was the only non-gimmick match that I thought did an excellent job. I had some issues with the booking decisions made, but I can't fault the actual card nor the wrestling action that took place. Solid event.

Survivor Series: Gimmick PPV. Decent PPV, but not great. The crowd was awesome, it just failed to live up the all the expectations. This is more a fault of creative and booking though...

TLC: Awesome. Awesome awesome awesome.

So let's take a look at how 2010 worked out, obviously from my opinion... MITB, Chamber, TLC, Extreme Rules were the four best PPVs of the year and they were all definitely gimmick events. There was one or two mediocre gimmick-based events, but none of them really fell totally flat. Compare that to only one really solid non-gimmick PPV and bunch of, all things considered, failures. I'd say the gimmicks have the win in 2011...

I agree that sometimes creative can focus too much on the gimmick and miss out on the story when it comes to these kind of shows, but there's really no definitive proof to back that up. The stories being told going into TLC and MITB were all fantastic, as were WrestleMania and a few other events that just fell flat. I think the blame is distributed pretty evenly if you look at it. The question is: would events like TLC, MITB, or the Chamber have been such huge successes WITHOUT the extreme gimmicks in place?

Ideally I would keep the Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, Money in the Bank, and TLC. They are all consistently great events that I don't want to see disappear from the WWE calendar. I wouldn't mind doing away with Hell in a Cell, Night of Champions, and Survivor Series. The problem is, even thought they weren't that amazing, they were still head-to-toe, better events than most of the non-gimmick-based PPVs.

if theses PPVS doesn't changed in time we are In your House number 300 lol,the problem is theses PPVS are in themes and it's not good for business.

When an feud became extreme you can makes an special match for that and, it's impossible today,1995 was an year very definitively for the WWE and for finish if Vince doesn't created In your house maybe certains wrestlers dead will be here.

I do not hold a position regarding the whole idea of gimmicked match PPV names, because I like the idea of Survivor Series (although I feel like they could have and should have more Survivor Series style matches on the ppv than they did recently).

Survivor Series is not a Gimmick match PPV its a PPV that was created and they decided to do 5 vs 5 elimination Tag matches on it.

However I do not like the gimmick PPV's It starting to seem there actually might be too many PPV's . WWE was better I find when they had only 4 PPV's Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, Summer Slam and Survivor Series . Even the additin of King of the Ring was great now there is 11 PPV's a year alot of fans have lost intrest in most of them cuz there are so many.

January-WWE Royal Rumble PPV (Near Dr. King's Birthday)

February-WWE Elimination Chamber PPV (Saturday Before NFL's Super Bowl)

Late March/Early April-WWE WrestleMania PPV

Late April-WWE Vengeance PPV

May-WWE Over The Limit PPV (Sunday Before Memorial Day)

June-WWE King Of The Ring PPV (Father's Day)

July-WWE The Great American Bash PPV (Sunday Before Or After The Fourth Of July)

Late August/Early September-WWE SummerSlam PPV (Sunday Before Labor Day)

Late September-WWE Night Of Champions PPV

October-WWE Extreme Rules PPV

November-WWE Survivor Series (Sunday Before Thanksgiving Eve)

December-WWE Cyber Sunday (Sunday Before Christmas Eve)

I agree with Crippler, there are way to many PPV. it seems like in the fall there is a PPV every 2 weeks, I think a good number is 8. The only gimmick PPV id keep is MiTB, and maybe have one other one ( alternate between TLC, Extream Rules, and Elimination Chamber or bring back War Games) Then have 2 regular PPV with a good 6 week build. Then id buy all the ppv's personally. But with a 2 or 3 week build im not really interested.

as for the gimmicks ppvs,some could stay and some has to go.the only gimmick ppvs that i like is extreme rules,tlc,and elimination chamber.but change the name of elimination chamber to no way out.as for the rest of the ppvs such as,money in the bank and hell in a cell, that has to go.because the money in the bank ladder match is a wrestlemania match and the hell in a cell is a match that is suppose to be unexpecting.my ppv list would be:

JANUARY-ROYAL RUMBLE
FEBRUARY-NO WAY OUT
MARCH/APRIL-WRESTLEMANIA
APRIL-BACKLASH(THE FALLOUT OF WRESTLEMANIA)
MAY-EXTREME RULES
JUNE-KING OF THE RING(ROAD TO SS)
JULY-THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH
AUGUST-SUMMERSLAM
SEPTEMBER-NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS(ROAD TO SURVIVOR SERIES)
OCTOBER-UNFORGIVEN
NOVEMBER-SURVIVOR SERIES
DECEMBER-MAKE THE PPV END WITH A BANG

I am not against the themed PPV's, but i do think a few normal ones like Backlash and Unforgiven would be nice. The mix could bring me to a happy medium.

I don't like knowing when - for instance - a Hell in a Cell or Elimination Chamber match will take place every year. A massive part of such matches is that they're the climax to an epic feud that can't be ended any other way. Having two of them a year on the same night at the same event annually has all but drained the two best gimmick matches of their impact. I personally would be okay with the gimmick-themed PPVs if they took place in sort of an In Your House format where we know we're going to get In Your House events certain months of the year, but have the gimmick theme only be announced in enough time to build towards it. I'm also not a fan of having either every match on the card take place in say HIAC. I think that only one match - the final match on the card, the main event should be the themed gimmick. Multiple Hell in a Cells or Elimination Chambers or MITBs on one card ruins the show for me and has diluted the excitement factor of these match types.

I think WWE should have the following PPV's.

Bring back Bragging rights,unforgiven with championship scrambles,king of the ring and custom ones. Like Clash of champions where WHC vs WWE champ, and IC champ vs US champ.

Any other ones you want tosee just reply and say which ones you want to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back