WWE: The Pittsburgh Sub-Regional

I'm in agreement that Angle will win this region. However, he will definitely not be facing Dusty Rhodes in the finals; instead, he will be facing The Great Muta. Thus, this is a region where I am not so interested in the final match as I am in the semi-final match between Rhodes and Muta (which I can guarantee will take place). I look forward to seeing what Rhodes' supporters have to say for him, as I always thought he sucked in the ring. Great mic man, yes; great wrestler, hell no.

I think this region just got a bit more complicated with the addition of Samoa Joe. The man fell from grace last year after he finally won the big one, and proceeded to have one of the most forgettable title reigns, aside from Jeff Hardy. People got him as champion, and he choked with the belt. That being said, he's in an intersting scenario on the bottom of the bracket.

Dusty Rhodes and Muta are flat out better then Joe, but Joe is modern, and Joe has a cult following. Joe very well could be in for a rundown with Kurt Angle.

Kurt should have no problem with the top half of the bracket. I'm sure the Nagata fans will have something to say bout that, but Kurt is simply better then him. The prospect of an Angle Blanchard match is intriguing, but Sid should dominate Tully. It's looking to Be Kurt over Joe in the end of this region.

I'm gonna start with teh Bottom of this region. Joe, like pointed out about me, is modern and is popular. In my eyes i cant put hihm over "The American Dream", i just cant. I have a strong feeling that the winner of that matchup, IF it happens will have less than 60% of the votes.

As for the top half, wheres teh love for "the master and the ruler of the world"? In all actuality he is an average big man but up against Kurt Angle he just has to many flaws and Kurt is going to pick him apart methodically. Kurt should cruise to the finals of this sub region. Him vs. Dusty would be interesting, but i have a strange feeling we are going to get Kurt vs. Joe, and in the end i cant see Joe go over Kurt.

I can not believe someone is actually going to make me begin pushing Samoa Joe. Whoever combined to bring him into this region, with those around him.. I loathe you.

Fact is, Joe is honestly and probably more talented than any of them. Minus the Great Muta, depending. Joe is a terrific mat wrestler, and he can match Kurt Angle move for move. That being said, it looks like a Joe/Angle showdown may happen in the finals of this region.

Dusty Rhodes seems like he could get a huge fan push, but that's about it. And as much as it pains me to say it, Rhodes does NOT deserve to go over Joe.

Yes Joe's reign was horrible, and yes he was what I'd consider to be a failure as a Champion.. but the fact is, he's still very talented and he knows what he's doing. He's bland to beat hell, but that's my personal opinion. The guy still has talent through in-ring moves, and I'll always admit that for him.

There is absolutely no reason that the finals of this regional should not be Angle v. Dusty Rhodes.

Angle is from Pittsburgh, thus giving him the absolute home-field advantage, there. Furthermore, Pittsburgh is the steel city. There is no place in America that screams working class more than the Steel City. So, you better believe it...with the steel city as the host, The American Dream will be riding through to face Angle in a matchup for the ages. I'll be campaigning for Dusty like none other, mostly because the old timers aren't going to get the backing they deserve. I truly think it would be a toss-up between the Dream and Angle....but if it was in a Bull Rope Match...you gotta believe that Dusty would come out on top, baby.

I'm in agreeance with Will and Shocky here. Samoa Joe seems to be terribly under-rated by everyone but us 3, and Sam. There's no way he doesn't beat Rhodes. I'm not taking anything from Rhodes, but Joe is a modern day Vader. He's got size and strength, but he can move around the ring like a cruiserweight. He's great at submission moves, and the Muscle Buster is enough to tak Rhodes down. I'm definitely seeing a Kurt v. Joe match-up to decide this bracket.

I don't get the hype surrounding Muta. The more I watch, the more average he seems. Neidhart is a better wrestler than he's given credit for. He should beat Muta in a close match, and the showdown with Joe should be great. If Neidhart can get Joe off his game, and turn it into a brawl, he may have the edge, and could get to the finals versus Angle.

All that being said, it's still Angle's to lose, but Joe and Neidhart could make this interesting, if they steamroll over the bottom half.

Thank God!
He got a decent draw.Joe,as I am saying, is the true dark horse and it's not the worst he could have gotten.Hopefully he will move up through a few squashes and the "dream",but I can't see dusty beating the Samoan Submission Machine.It will probably be Joe v Angle as has been said,unless one of them gets hit with an upset.Angle is the favourite ,but Joe has matched and beat him multiple times,I think they stand at 2-2.So Joe will choke,musclebust and just smash his way through to the gold medalist and then it will be interesting.
And we will see who comes out on top,Angle.
Or the underrated beast.

Joe? I dont like him but to say he doesnt stand a chance would be stupid. My money's still on angle though with Sid and Joe in tow.

Sid gives Angle the biggest challenge though, just look at what the guy did in his prime. There isnt much that can recover from the Chokeslam or the Powerbomb, if faces Joe I think he wins, his sheer power would go over Joe's technical prowess.

Angle on the other hand just about beat Kane at WM 18 so he's got it in him to beat Sid, it'll be a close one and I havent decided which one I'd go for yet. I might go Sid just because of his sheer power. Who needs great offence when you can knock someones teeth out. The only worry, his leg. Angle could exploit that.

I've just been watching some Muta matches, and, in my opinion, no one revealed so far in this sub-region, besides Kurt Angle, can top what he has done in this business. I'll elaborate on this later in his matches, but I just want to say right now that no one has the mannerisms and actions of a heel down better than Muta does (note here that I excluded mic work, as I am not fluent in Japanese). He's cautious with his opponents, but, if you let your guard down for one second, he'll capitalize on the opportunity to take you down faster than anyone else. They call Edge the "Ultimate Opportunist" now, but, if this is so, then Muta was the "Original Opportunist."

What about Bob?

That may become my slogan for this bracket. He's a great heel, and a match with Angle would be entertaining as hell, but we all know Angle's got nothing in his way until the final.

There's no way Orton doesn't win over Nagata, and if his heel tactics are up to snuff, he might be able to sneak a shot or two in with the cast, but I see him losing by DQ before he has a chance at making the match interesting.

Kurt should win this region but the competition from the two japanese guys Muta and Nagata will be a good contest for the Olympian. Kurt has beaten Yuji Nagata before and this is WWE turf so Muta is in trouble as well. Kurt will win this region with little problem though seeing tougher competition in a later round.

Although Kurt Angle must been seen as a favourite in the few years he has wrestled, Dusty Rhodes should never ever be written out.

I must admit he will be somone I will be routing for in this competition. I'll give Kurt Angle that he has a massively impressive ameature record, and a reasonably good career in WWE and then taking the easy payday in TNA. Dusty on the other hand has never taken the easy way out. Even when his career was in tourmoil he built himself back up. He never came out with some shit about things his personal life affecting him and thats why he would have to leave on promotion to just walk into another the next day!

And another bug factor, Dusty Rhodes is a legitmate Hall of Famer! Soemthing I believe Kurt Angle will never have.

And if it was to come down to these two, imagine the match. If you could possibly have somesort of time machine to bring them together into a match when both at their prime, it would be one hell of a slobberknocker (good old Jr Lol) but I think Dusty would of edged it

So there u go my support is firmly behind Dusty Rhodes, he da man!

I was considering Samoa Joe a serious contender for the bottom half of this bracket, and now he may have an upset on his hands by facing Carlito.

In no way, am I advocating that Carlito could beat Joe. But, there's people that will vote for the name they know, and the guy they know more about. It's no secret that there's a lot more people watching WWE than TNA.

Joe should, and hopefully will, win. But, Carlito makes his first match at least interesting.

Blue Demon is another guy I know practically nothing about, but he's in the same position as K.E.N.T.A. in the Calgary Region. No matter how good he is, it'd take a lot to sell him beating Rhodes, when Rhodes is considered a favorite to face Angle in the finals.

Rhodes v. Joe should be a great 2nd Rd. match.

31. Yuji Nagata
34. "Cowboy" Bob Orton Jr.

Terrible match for Nagata. He trumps Orton in every way. If it wasn't for Randy then Bob would be long forgotten, even if WWE show him each year hitting Orndorff with his cast.

Orton's impact is spawning an inexplicably popular, current wrestler. But other than a cameo role at the first Mania show, where he didn't wrestle, he's done nothing.

After looking up some stuff on Muta, I found him very average. I figured he'd win a round or two, but wasn't a threat to anyone.

Now, he's probably going to get squashed (pun intended) by Big Daddy V/Viscera/Mabel. I'm not saying that Viscera is a great wrestler. But, he's too big and strong for Muta to beat.

Neidhart has more of a power game, and could definitely take out Viscera, but Muta won't be a contest. His best chance of advancing would've came if he was facing anyone but a powerhouse.

2. "The Olympic Gold Medalist" Kurt Angle
63. The Berzerker

The Berzerker is huge, but Angle shouldn't have any issues getting him up for the Olympic Slam. Once he gets him grounded, he'll work his legs until he can slap on the Angle Lock to end it. It's a small blip on the radar for one of the favorites for the whole WZ Tournament.

18. Tully Blanchard
47. Dino Bravo

I'll go out on a limb, and say Bravo scores the win, only because his name is more recent. Blanchard certainly isn't forgotten, but his time as a Horsemen, is far before Bravo had any success. I'll be voting for Blanchard, and think he should win, but I wouldn't rule out a big upset by Bravo here.

Angle is going to win this because I do believe he is better than everyone else in this region and that really isn't saying much because Kurt is very overrated. But I am gonna pull for Sid Vicious. I don't know why, but I was entertained by the man and I think he could beat a Kurt Angle if the situation is right. Sid has beaten some of the best in HBK and Bret Hart. So Sid Vicious FTW.

I'm really rooting for Angle to make the top 4. I never was a huge fan but I think he is a great mix of true wrestling talent(the actual mat stuff)and great mic skills/charisma. He is like Benoit or Malenko but with huge amounts of charisma. I really hope people will keep Angle's overall accomplishments and ability when voting.

I think Angle pretty much had this region wrapped and his first match against The Bezerker should be cake walk. Half of the people probably never even heard of Angle's opponents, and the one's who do, know Angle is more superior.

I think the most interesting match of the first round will be Samoa Joe vs. Carlito. I think Carlito has enough offense to ground Joe for a while, but Joe strength and athleticism will be too much for Carlito, and will succumb to the Muscle Buster.

63. The Berzerker

Angle doesn't need my support, Bezerky does.

18. Tully Blanchard
47. Dino Bravo

Obviously you've got to vote for Bravo. Only one man got the better of him & the Canadian Earthquake.

26. "The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe
39. Carlito

Could be an intresting match. I expect Joe to win. But not as easily as he might have two year's ago. Carlito probably has as many fans as Joe does haters. So it could be very intresting.

23. Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart
42. Jacques "The Mountie" Rougeau

I have no idea how this will go. The Mountie had a better singles run, but Neidhart is part of one of the most popular teams ever. Considering it's a singles tournament, and The Mountie was able to beat ''the worker'' of The Hart Foundation. I think I'll give him the nod here.

If you don't want too look too far ahead, come in here and discuss this sub-regional headed by Kurt Angle.

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Pittsburgh, PA
63. The Berzerker

31. Yuji Nagata

15. "Sycho" Sid Vicious
50. The Sheik

18. Tully Blanchard
47. Dino Bravo

7. "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes
58. Blue Demon

39. Carlito

10. The Great Muta
55. Big Daddy V

There is no one in the top half of this region that is a remote thread to Kurt Angle. If Kurt Angle doesn't win most of his first three round matches by at least a 90% margin, I'll probably be shocked.

Round One sees Kurt vs. The Berzerker, and this is about as big of a squash match as possible. Nagata vs. Orton Jr. is an interesting matchup. Nagata is probably the better of the two in the ring, but Orton could get a residual rub from the popularity of his son. I'm going to go with Angle vs. Nagata, and Angle simply destroys Nagata.

Sid vs. teh Original Sheik is another interesting matchup. While I respect the Sheik for his truly hated heel status, if this becomes physical, he is simply out matched by a monster that is Sid Eudy. Then you have Blanchard vs. Bravo. Bravo was okay, but I find him incredibly meh. Blanchard seems to be gettnig a little more love on these forums as of late, and it should be enough to get him to round two. However, he runs into Sid, and Sid will dominate Tully Blanchard. Regardless, both men will lose to Kurt Angle in round 3.

The bottom half sees, the Dream vs. Blue Demon in round 1. While Blue Demon is big in Mexico, the Dream is a legend in the United States. Some see him as a floppy fat guy, I suggest you watch some 70's Dusty Rhodes. Rhodes should win this match up. That sets up a match up with Samoa Joe. Joe is going to crush Carlito, and it's probably not even going to be close. I think Samoa Joe will beat Dusty, but that's not who I'll vote for. Dusty Rhodes is loads better then Joe ever could hope to be.

Muta should have no problem with Big Fatty V in round one. Muta is a fantastic worker, and a little mist to the eyes never hurt anyone. Jim the Anvil gets much more praise then what he should, and for him to be a higher seed in this tournament is as laughable as it gets. The Anvil gets in based on being the powerhouse of a tag team with Bret Hart, that's his career Highlight. Jacque Rougeau should win this match, and then get beat by Muta in Round two.

Muta should beat Joe in Round 3, and if Joe wins, it'll be terrible. So I'm looking at Kurt Angle vs. The Great Muta in Round 4, which considering the gimmick, could be much closer then the Angle campaign would want.

If you don't want too look too far ahead, come in here and discuss this sub-regional headed by Kurt Angle.

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Pittsburgh, PA
63. The Berzerker

31. Yuji Nagata

15. "Sycho" Sid Vicious
50. The Sheik

18. Tully Blanchard
47. Dino Bravo

7. "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes
58. Blue Demon

39. Carlito

10. The Great Muta
55. Big Daddy V

Angle hands down over Berzerker. Its a golrified squash. Angle would pick the big man apart and make him tap out via the ankle lock.

I've seen Yuji Nagata wrestle Angle and he is huge. Orton would try to smack Nagata with his cast but I think people will vote for Nagata just to see the showdown between Nagata and Angle so I'll take Yuji over the Cowboy.

Psycho sid all the way. The man was massive and oodled charisma. I've got him over the Sheik. The only thing of note I remember Sheik doing was training RVD and Sabu.

I think most people will vote for Blanchard because of his success with the horseman and flair's recent popularity. I'm with the majority. Blanchard here.

American Dream is more than just a fat man dancing and talking with his southern accent. He was very underrated and a staple of the NWA. Blue Demon was great in Mexico but I'll take Rhodes here.

Samoa Joe vs Carlito is interesting. I think Carlito will put up a fight but eventually won't be able to match Joe's strength. Joe here.

Muta gives Big Flabby V some mist in the eyes and hits the moonsault for the win here. If any of you have never seen Muta wrestle go do the research before you vote. Its highway robbery if King V advances past Muta.

The Mountie had more success as a singles star but Anvil was the big man in a vastly popular tag team. Unfortunately this isn't a tag tournament. Mountie advances.

Round 1, Results.

Kurt Angle vs. The Berzerker: 47-2. Really, not much to say in this match, except for someone the Viking got 2 votes. As expect, Angle rolls with ease into round 2.

Yuji Nagata vs. Bob Orton Jr.: 24-10. The Japanese are getting some love in this tournament. Nagata Rolls over the Cowboy, but is facing a mountain of a task in round 2.

Sid vs. the Original Sheik: 40-2. Beat down and a half here. The Sheik was truly a great, but he's in the ring with a man that simply dwarfs him.

Tully Blanchard vs. Dino Bravo: 29-6. The smart ass of the Horsemen out powers the strong man from Canada. However, Blanchards' road only gets bigger, stronger and nastier in round 2.

Dusty Rhodes vs. Blue Demon: 23-13. An American Legend outlast a Mexican Legend in a match that should have happened at least two rounds further. Blue Demon is great, bt Rhodes makes it threw.

Samoa Joe vs. Carlito: 41-12. A beat down, but not as nasty of a beat down as I would have thought. The Samoan beats the Puerto Rican in a match that Vince Russo could only dream of.

The Great Muta vs Big Daddy V. 31-7. Not one, but two Japanese wrestlers from this sub-region alone move onto round 2. Muta easily dispatches of probably the worst king of the ring ever, except maybe Billy Gunn.

Jim Neidhart vs. Jacque Rougeau. 15-24. The strong man of the Hart Foundation isn't enough to be the arrogant Mountie from Canada, er, he's not the mountie, what ever.

Round 2 Matches.
Pittsburgh, PA.
#2. Kurt Angle
#31. Yuji Nagata

15. Sid Vicious
18. Tully Blanchard

7. Dusty Rhodes
26. Samoa Joe

10. The Great Muta
42. Jacque Rougeau

Angle, I think, could be seriously challenged by most of the guys in this brackett. Rhodes, contrary to apperances, could go the distance with just about anybody. I don't think he'd win, but he'd give Angle a pretty good going over. Samoa Joe has beaten him before and I think is really the only one with a great shot. Sid would deliver a couple of big power moves but Angle would slap the ankle lock on one of those long legs of his and it'd be over fairly quick. Muta would give Angle all he could handle. It'd be a great competitive match, though I still believe Angle takes it in the end.

A possible Angle/Blanchard matchup as well as a possible Muta/Rhodes match makes me happy. Angle moves on...but it'll be closer than one might think. Angle's recent, but we do have some wrestling purists who remember Blanchard, Muta, and Rhodes as vividly as Angle. Ultimately, Angle wins it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back