WWE Pittsburgh, Round 2, Match 4: #10 The Great Muta vs. #42 Jacque Rougeau

Muta vs. Jacque Rougeau

• The Great One

• The Mountie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the WWE Region under WWE Rules, from Pittsburgh, PA.

#10. The Great Muta
1-2002-legendofchamp.jpg

vs.

#42. Jacque Rougeau
1174330393_f.jpg

Let me show you a picture of the Great Muta.

GREATMUTA.jpg

There. That's my argument. Who cares that Muta was the greatest Japanese heel of all time. Who cares that he's possibly the best al rounder in the history of the business. Who cares that he's held enough gold to sink a Spanish galleon.

The man looked like that, and when you vote against a guy who came to the ring with a dragon growing out of his shoulder, then you've gone too far.

I love Rougeau, but he's in WAY over his head here. Unless this was in Montreal, he stands no chance. Muta anihilates him and makes it look easy. Muta in a walk.

Muta in a SQUASH! The Mountie is a good heel. Muta is THE HEEL! Between the green mist, the spinning roundhouse kicks, and just flat out being destroyed. A run in by Ray Rougeau and Pierre won't be enough to over come the Great Muta.

Moonsault wins it in under 5 for Muta.

The Mountie deserved to hold on to the IC title for more than 14 days.

That's about the only positive thing I can say for Jacques as a singles wrestler. I get the fact that the Rougeaus were an extremely underrated team in the WWE, and that they had a lot of talent. But c'mon, this is the Great frickin' Muta here. I see the man as a legitimate threat to Kurt Angle when he reaches the elite eight. This is one of only two men to ever hold the NWA heavyweight championship, AJPW Triple Crown Championship, and the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. I don't care who you are, that's impressive.

Look, I'm not going to waste all of my argument here, I feel I'll need it all in later rounds, especially against Kurt Angle. Just take my word. Great Muta here.

There's no real argument to be made for Rougeau here. He's outclassed here in every conceivable way. His biggest claim to fame is probably beating Bret Hart for the IC title, though it happened as part of an angle where Bret reportedly had a 100+ degree fever. Nobody believed that he could legitimately beat Bret and they were right. Same difference here. The Mountie won't get his man this time...man that sounds gay..

The Mountie helde the IC title, but only won it because he beat a sick Bret Hart and then he was quite easily dispatched by Piper. He did very little else on WWE TV as far as I'm aware, apart from being in an underrated tag team, the Rougeaus, but that won't help him against one of the most influential wrestlers ever. Muta wins this one quite easily.

A complete squash for the Japanese legend. After he hits him with the mist, it's all over. I'm expecting Muta to go very far in this competition.

Just look at the picture. Look at all the titles. That's all that needs to be said. Muta was amazing, and one of my personal faves of all time. He was quite possibly the greatest heel ever, and arguably the most influential wrestlers ever. Muta wins easy.

Muta is one of the greatest. Mountie doesn't stand a chance. Big time victory for Muta, somewhere in the range of 6 or 7 minutes.

I've said it before, I don't see what all the hubbub is over Great Muta. I've seen some matches from him, and don't see anything out of the ordinary. That being said, The Mountie is nothing special either.

In a technical match Muta picks up the win after 15-20 minutes of barely passable wrestling. Crowd would probably be dead, and the ref may fall asleep during the pin count.

I've said it before, I don't see what all the hubbub is over Great Muta. I've seen some matches from him, and don't see anything out of the ordinary. That being said, The Mountie is nothing special either.

If you want to see a great Great Muta match, I would recommend his win over Masahiro Chono for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship at the WCW/New Japan Supershow III in 1993.

If you want to know why I personally consider Muta to be the greatest heel of all time, then I would recommend his October 1996 NJPW match with Jushin Liger (apologies for not knowing at which show this match took place). This match is most famous for the debut of "Kishin Liger," Jushin Liger's wild and underhanded alter ago. But, if anything, I think this match should be used as a "how to" for heel mannerisms, as you're able to understand exactly what Muta stands for and how much of a heel/bastard he is without even hearing him say a word.

In a technical match Muta picks up the win after 15-20 minutes of barely passable wrestling. Crowd would probably be dead, and the ref may fall asleep during the pin count.

If your basing this off of the fact that the crowds seemed dead during Muta's matches, I wouldn't read too much into it, as Japanese crowds are so much more subdued than American ones. Also, we'll have to agree to disagree about Muta having barely passable wrestling matches; if this guy was in his prime and was currently working for WWE, he would alternate between the main-event and upper mid-card while getting more heat than Vickie Guerrero.

It's obvious that I'm a huge Muta mark, but the one thing I do want to say is that I think this would have been a great match. Heel vs. heel matches rarely work; the best one I personally ever saw was Shawn Michaels vs. Rick "The Model" Martel at Summerslam '92, in terms of booking and wrestling (I know the match was quite short, but these guys are both excellent wrestlers and they didn't fail the crowd that night at Wembley). But, something tells me that Muta and The Mountie could have put on a great match back in the early 1990s. The Mountie was a competent wrestler who played his gimmick perfectly; Muta could have easily led him to a great match while he provided all of the comic relief.

Pick: Muta

While I might not be as big of a fan of Muta as tDigle, I personally hold Muta responsible for opening me up to Japanese wrestling. teh guy is simply amazing. I can't remember the guy ever uttering a word of English, yet I always knew he was a bad bad man. The guy maybe the best heel ever, and that's simply by maneurisms and behavior in the ring. If ever a person coudl tell a story through body Language, Muta would be that person.

The guy has had success every where he went, which says a lot. The Mountie was a fun character, and under rated as far as in ring work is concerned, but even then, he's completely outmatched here.

I will campaign to the death for the great one. He wins this in a squash against a man who never really achieved that much. 4-5 min squash for Muta.

If your basing this off of the fact that the crowds seemed dead during Muta's matches, I wouldn't read too much into it, as Japanese crowds are so much more subdued than American ones. Also, we'll have to agree to disagree about Muta having barely passable wrestling matches; if this guy was in his prime and was currently working for WWE, he would alternate between the main-event and upper mid-card while getting more heat than Vickie Guerrero.

I know the crowds are more subdued, that isn't the problem. I've only seen one match of his in Japan anyway, and maybe that's the problem. Most of what I've seen was from NWA/WCW. The first one was the match against Windham, and then I saw 2(?) others on the Starrcade DVD. He's not bad. I just don't think he's as great as everyone says.

When I look at other heels from that era (DiBiase, Bossman, Vader), I don't think he stacks up.

I like to think of Muta as a japanese Undertaker. While Taker represents a very ocidental kind of terror, physical,Tthe Great Muta represents a more oriental conception of horror, psychological. Taker is a big monster who came from hell and wants to hurt you. Muta is just a creepy presence that you don't know exactly what it is, what it wants, what it's capable to do and have no clue of what is going through his mind. You just know for sure that it's plain evil...

While The Moutie wasn't a bad wrestler, Muta is in a total different level as far as in-ring skills and psychology goes. This contest could be decided on gimmick alone, cuz nothing smells more like a squash than a comical character going against a legit scary heel. This match screams too loud for a freakish Muta Lock....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back