wzrf2.jpg

Check it out - world's smallest violin.

busters.jpg
edgechristian.gif

WWE Regional Final
The Brain Busters - Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard
vs.
Edge & Christian

Wow. I could only dream about how great some of the promos and segments would be leading to this match. Anderson and Tully are great technicians, as are their opponents. E&C are among the most popular tag teams ever, and were the best of the big 3 in the WWE while they were together.

I'm going to vote for E&C here. They were bigger in the WWE than the Brain Busters were, and showed they can wrestle any style with anyone, and beat them at their own game. This is probably the best match of this entire round though...I wouldn't blame anyone for voting the other way.

This is tough. Really tough. I'm still undecided and I'm willing to be swayed as the polls come up. I have a secret love affair with the Brainbusters, yet I am in no way diametrically opposed to Edge and Christian winning. Forgetting even what they accomplished in the ring (which was a hell of a lot), E+C entertained me so much, it almost convinces me to go their way. Couple that with the tag team titles and great record of wins, and you have a team that could spear tackle their way through most other teams in the finals.

Most other teams. The Brainbusters aren't just any other team though. Shuck, I dont know. I'll have to be swayed.

Want to be swayed? Well, Edge and Christian were a great team. They're promos were hilarious and they had a good run as a Tag Team. But their competition? The Dudley Boyz, Hardyz, and the New Age Outlaws. Not exactly top notch competition for any team.

Then you have the Brainbusters, Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard. This team beat quality tag teams such as Demolition, The Midnight Express, Rock and Roll Express, Road Warriors, the Rockers, and were Tag Team champions in an era were tag teams were celebrated and recognized as one of the important factors in wrestling. Arn and Tully were good at one thing... managing to pull out a win. Edge and Christian are good at the same thing, but one thing E and C do too much of is take high risks. Arn and Tully capitalize on mistakes and Edge or Christian will make one, and it will cost them the match. Whether it's a missed Conchairto, a botched double team move, or a high spot gone wrong. Brainbusters win this. By a slim margin.

Look, Edge and Christian are one of the most underrated tag teams in all of professional wrestling who demolished the competition during a time when the tag team division flourished where many matches and innovated rules created. The won the gold and held them for a good length amount of time and both have what it takes in tag team wrestling.

Despite the Brainbusters being one heck of a tag team that went through much better competition than the Five Second Posers... both teams ran a course of three years together as actual tag teams and history shows that E&C have held more tag team gold together than the Brainbusters. E&C held 7 WWF Tag Team Championships (only), whilst Brain Busters have held the Tag Titles on 3 seperate occassions in total. If E&C can win those titles and adapt to different match rules... I am going to vote for E&C.

Sorry Tully & Arn, I really wanted you through but my vote goes to E&C.

Want to be swayed? Well, Edge and Christian were a great team. They're promos were hilarious and they had a good run as a Tag Team. But their competition? The Dudley Boyz, Hardyz, and the New Age Outlaws. Not exactly top notch competition for any team.

....WHAT?!??!?!

The Dudleys, Hardys, and New Age Outlaws, three of the most successful tag teams of the last 20 years, aren't top notch competition? Are you high on cocaine Lariat? That's just downright ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous man.

Then you have the Brainbusters, Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard. This team beat quality tag teams such as Demolition, The Midnight Express, Rock and Roll Express, Road Warriors, the Rockers

Come on. Come on Lariat. You're going to dismiss the Hardys and then bring up the Rockers? The Rockers were jobbers, they won an average of one out of every fifty matches they wrestled in man.

My vote's going to Edge and Christian here. The best tag team of the last decade, easily. As much as I love the Brainbusters, I just can't vote against a team like Edge and Christian. There's nothing Arn and Tully could throw at them that they couldn't handle.

I'm going with Edge and Christian here. Arn is a brawler and surely would deliver alot of punishment to Edge or Christian. Who have taken a hell lot more punishment in their crazy risque style over the years then either Brainbuster could dish out. Edge stands about 6'4 so he isn't exactly small either. Im going with E & C trying some cheap tactics out and stealing the win here and advancing to the semi-finals.

....WHAT?!??!?!

The Dudleys, Hardys, and New Age Outlaws, three of the most successful tag teams of the last 20 years, aren't top notch competition? That's just downright ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous man.

Umm... just no. I can't give you those teams. The Dudleyz are immensely overrated on this forum. The Hardyz are a great tag team, so I can possibly give you that one. Not NAO, though. The tribe has spoken on that one. Arn and Tully were cagey and creative before it was cool. E & C would give them a helluva battle, but Arn and Tully were notorious for pulling out victories just when it seemed to be out of their grasp.

Are you high on cocaine Lariat?

When I wrote that? NO. Just some green. Good green at that.

Come on. Come on Lariat. You're going to dismiss the Hardys and then bring up the Rockers? The Rockers were jobbers, they won an average of one out of every fifty matches they wrestled in man.

I know the Rockers were not the best tag team. They lost to much, MUCH better tag teams like Demolition, Hart Foundation, and the Brainbusters. The Hardyz, as I said, had no legit competition during their day, hence why they had more success. Put the Rockers in the Attitude Era and they reign supreme over ALL those tag teams. But this isn't about the Rockers.

My vote's going to Edge and Christian here. The best tag team of the last decade, easily. As much as I love the Brainbusters, I just can't vote against a team like Edge and Christian. There's nothing Arn and Tully could throw at them that they couldn't handle.

I'm down with that. However, Old School is ALWAYS cool. E & C are clumsy. They miss a lot of high risk stuff, and Arn and Tully don't take high risks. They capitalize on the mistakes of other opponents and win that way. I say it's a great battle, but the Bustah's should win here, but they won't.

Vote Arn and Tully!

Reactions: gd
I think it all comes down to the Brainbusters' superior technical skills. As Lariat said, Edge or Christian misses a high risk move and Arn and Tully are all over that shit, physically dissecting their opponent and effectively sucking the life out of him. All they would have to do is cut off the distance and keep E & C close, and from there the power and submission skills would spell the end.

Hard for me to admit, because I like E & C (well, Christian more) and they are obviously very talented. However, throw in the fact that Christian was kinda the "Jannetty" of the tag team (as far as popularity), and his envy of his brother could affect the outcome if that matters any.

Hmm, tough one here. Not sure who I'm gonna go with. On one hand, I think that EC are kinda overrated, but they are still very good and extrememly entertaining. I'm a big fan of both Edge and Christian and you can't deny the success they've had as a tag team.

On the other side, you have the Brain Busters. They also were very successful as a team and were possibly the best "old school" team of all time. I haven't seen a ton of stuff from them, but you can't deny they were great.

In the end I'm going to have to go with the BB, they epitomized a tag team while EC and more like 2 singles stars working together. Plus, I wanna help Lariat. And the BB have a cool name for their tag team.

Brain Busters. Edge and Christian won loads of titles, but only one of them was in a one on one tag match as Edge and Christian, with one as a one on one match as Los Conquistadors, their other 5 matches came in gimmick matches of some variety, and if this were a gimmick match, I'd go for them.

Howver, the Brain Busters are the team that finally ended Demolition's reign, after they had, well demolished everyone else in their wake beforehand. The Brain Busters by another name had dominated the tag scene in NWA beforehand too. Edge And Christian dominated a short period of tag wrestling by being better than the Hardys and Dudleys in ladder matches. Their record against both teams in standard 2 on 2 matches is a losing one, as is their record against just about every team in the era, bar Too Cool.

They had 7 reigns, yes, but their combined length is almost 200 days shorter than the three combined reigns of the Brain Busters in two companies. Edge and Christian had some fantastic matches, and were dynamite on the mic, but they didn't win as often as you'd think and certainly not in standard matches against teams as technically able as this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back