r3.jpg

What a rush.

LOD.jpg
busters.jpg

WWE Region
The Road Warriors - Hawk & Animal
vs.
The Brain Busters - Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard

I hate to be redundant, as I'm sure this is like my 15th time saying so in this tournament, but The Road Warriors are without a doubt the single most overrated tag team in professional wrestling history. They were worthless scum, who did nothing but work stiff and put their opponents at serious, serious risk. That's it. They never had any business in that ring as far as I'm concerned. Never. The only thing they ever had going for them were big muscles and face paint. But in that ring and on the mic? Shit... they were terrible performers. Absolutely terrible.

The Brain Busters, on the other hand... tremendous tag team. Both Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard were fantastic workers, both in singles and in tag team, and they were apart of some of the greatest tag matches in the history of the business (something of which The Road Warriors could NEVER claim). Also, they were apart of the 4 Horsemen... which just raises their awesomeness up ten fucking notches.

Now, kayfabe wise, it's obvious The Road Warriors have the edge, but at the same time... you can't cancel out the interference of someone like Ric Flair or Barry Windham or even Bobby Heenan. That gives the Brain Busters a shot. However, two on two with no interference... yeah, Road Warriors win and it's not debatable. But you know what? I don't give a fuck. FUCK The Road Warriors.

Do the right thing here people and advance two of the most talented workers the business has ever seen in Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard over these two worthless pieces of trash. It's time to get the Road Warriors out this great tournament Sam has put together, and there are no better opponents to give them the boot than The Brain Busters.

Jmt did not need to convince me on who to advance in the tournament. I am going to vote for the BrainBusters. Well, for the most part... the Road Warriors in hindsight could be considered a better team than BB from their records and their dominance phase. However, there is no denying that Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard are two of the greatest wrestlers being paired up to form a force to be reckoned with. I mean, they have enough experience together... both as a team and in stable formation... to give RW a run for their money.

My vote goes to the BrainBusters over the Road Warriors. Let's give the finals a mix-up this year and not advance the same old teams from last year.

While I may not share JMT's hatred for the Road Warriors as such, I do share his love of the Brain Busters. Arn and Tully are probably leading the competition of most underrated Tag Team of all time, and I'll be damned if I see them go out this round. Even though I believe they were better in real wrestling terms, I'll analyse it from a Kayfabe perspective.

while the Road Warriors have been in their share of battles, and no doubt share chemistry, there is an imbalance in the team. They're just all about the power game. Whereas Arn could certainly match them in that department, the secret weapon was Tully Blanchard, the brains of the operations. He could work out a way to beat two piles of muscle mass with spiky shoulder pads, even if it involved inviting a few men down to ringside.

Ill give it to the Brain Busters, but I'll save some real points for later, should anyone be adamant about Road Warriors dominance. (But if this were Animal and Heidenreich, it would be no contest. Goodbye Brainbusters)

There goes JMT, saying everything I wanted to as usual. I mean, I don't hate the Road Warriors or anything, in fact their older work can be very enjoyable and entertaining. But compared to a team like The Brain Busters, they were shit quite frankly. One of the more overrated tag teams in wrestling history, who made a name for themselves for looking like extras in the next Mad Max film. Not exactly the most skilled of "wrestlers" were those two. Going up against two beasts like Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard? Yeah, this is a pretty easy choice for me personally.

Go with the Brain-Bustahs.

This has already happened before at the height of the Road Warriors' powers, and the Busters kept their belts. Why wouldn't they get the win here? This is perfect for the Busters as tehy can tear the Warriors down and work them over, leading to the demise of the painted ones. They'll have a lot of bruises in the morning, but they'll also have the victory.

I'm with KB here. The Road Warriors would put up a hell of a fight, but Arn and Tully can take the punishment, as well as dish it out, and add in their actual wrestling skills, they take the win here. It's happened before, and there's nothing stopping it from happening again. Would be fun to watch again though...

are you people kidding me you picking the Brain Busters over the most dominent tag team in wrestling history the Road Warriors in there prime are two strong basdards. i mean both of them would be tossing Ann and tully around like rag dolls and it doesn't matter who got involed they would have taken them out and if you want to put outside interferrence don't forget about paul okay i am making the right choice and going with the strongest men in this tournament

are you people kidding me you picking the Brain Busters over the most dominent tag team in wrestling history the Road Warriors in there prime are two strong basdards. i mean both of them would be tossing Ann and tully around like rag dolls and it doesn't matter who got involed they would have taken them out and if you want to put outside interferrence don't forget about paul okay i am making the right choice and going with the strongest men in this tournament

Your post might have made sense, except for the fact that Tully and Arn have already beaten the Road Warriors in their prime. So yeah, your argument just grew a pair of wings and flew right out the window. Not to mention the Brainbusters have also beaten Demolition as well, a very similar team.

There's no team they couldn't handle.

This is an easy win for the Busters. Well...maybe not easy...but it's a win nonetheless. The Road Warriors were built up to be unstoppable, but at the same time, were one dimensional, depending on their size and power to beat teams. Arn and Tully are a team that can take a beating from the best and still come out winners. This match happened at Starrcade '87, and the way that match was won is one of the reasons why this team is the team to beat in the tourney.

It was a 'Dusty finish' where the Road Warriors made a mistake and let their power get them DQ'ed. Arn and Tully outhink any team they go against and almost always come out on top. And at their peak, they beat some great Tag Teams. The Rock N Roll Express, Midnight Express, Fantastics, Road Warriors, Rockers, Demolition, and others fell to the Bustahs.

"ZOMG they beatz them before"

X, you sicken me. Of ALL the people to use the kayfabe fantasy land argument, I wouldnt expect it from you.

My goodness, I think the LOD has become the new most underrated workers on this site, taking up the Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan's spot. EVERY argument made for, and against Hogan applies to the Road Warriors. No shit they didnt do much in the ring. Well, what they DID do sure did work well enough to have over 80 thousand motherfucking people chanting "LOD" at SummerSlam 92. What they did made them capable of headlining one of the first wrestling pay per veiw cards ever. What they did do only made them the most popular and dominant tag team in the history of motherfucking pro wrestling. What they did do had them completely as over as ever even during the damn attitude era. The hate on them is ridiculous. Im not sure what else you expected two 300 pound motherfuckers with war paint and fucking SPIKE FOOTBALL PADS to do in the ring, besides throw people around like cappage patch dolls.

But I mean. The Brainbuster were heels, technical wrestlers, and had a mdoicum of success in the NWA. Thats practically the trifecta of armageddon for the IWC to get behind you.

Stop trying to look cool and smart, and vote for the most dominant, popular, over tag team in the history of wrestling. Vote for The Road Warriors.

Let me start by saying, I couldn't disagree more whole-heartedly with Mighty NorCal's assessment that The Brain Busters only achieved a "modicum of success" and are legendary in IWC circles because of circumstance. Remember, Arn & Tully comprised an amazing team which made its mark on history books as the first to win both the NWA and WWF tag titles.

Of course, the Road Warriors soon followed suit. In fact, they one-upped Arn and Tully, becoming the only team in history to hold World Tag Team titles in all three major U.S. federations. This feat speaks for itself and still stands even today. Looking at things from a historical perspective, the Road Warriors were also the industry's most consistently feared and respected team for a solid decade. Who else can brag that?!

Really, what an undeniable legacy the Road Warriors built!

In fact, I remember when the Road Warriors were the Road Warriors, not the Legion of Doom, as WWF renamed them. Back in the day, the L.O.D. was the name of Paul Ellering's whole crew -- which included guys like Jake Roberts, King Kong Bundy, The Spoiler, etc. -- not just Hawk & Animal. Anyway, I digress.

During those early days, the Road Warriors were even more cool, fearsome and brutal than WWF ever allowed them to be. There was none of that red football padding crap, and certainly no stupid ventriloquist's dummy named Rocco! Hawk & Animal were all decked out in leather and real, metal spikes (which I recall they once used as a weapon!) when they raced to the ring, kicked guys' asses, then practically decapitated them with the Doomsday Device finisher. They were utterly unstoppable, it seemed. So many people fell to their domination. It was intense!

I remember when they beat Jerry Blackwell and Baron Von Rascke (god, he was FUGLY!) for their first set of World Tag Team titles in 1983 in the AWA. The Road Warriors seemed absolutely unbeatable! Even the legendary Fabulous Freebirds couldn't take the titles from them. In fact, nobody could it seemed. Until "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin and "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal came along. They were small but smart, and with the Freebirds' help, they did what it seemed like nobody else would or could.

In fact, it was always unexpected and, generally speaking, much smaller pairings that outsmarted and upended the Road Warriors for their titles. Let's see... Brett and Buzz Sawyer in Georgia. Garvin/Regal in AWA. The Varsity Club (Rotunda/Williams) in NWA. Money, Inc. (IRS [Rotunda, again] and DiBiase) and New Age Outlaws (Road Dogg/Billy Gunn) in WWF.

My point in playing out this kayfabe laundry list of the Road Warriors' great hits is to point out that a team like The Brain Busters is exactly the kind of combination Hawk & Animal would have historically had the most trouble with, even at the height of their popularity. Since the Brain Busters would have, in fact, been precisely the type of pairing booked over the Road Warriors in every federation they ever worked for, why would this fantasy tournament have a different result?

Even if I'd wanted to vote for the Road Warriors in this case, which I didn't, I think history speaks for itself. As I pointed out, they left an incredible legacy behind. Who am I to ignore it?

Well, because it isnt just a fanatsy tournament. I know thats what it has grossly mutated into because of the sham that was the singles tournament this year, but this is actually supposed to be about who is the BEST tag team. Just sayin.

Their tag title reign in the WWE wasnt very memorable, didnt comprise of very many big match ups on big cards, or angles. not even CLOSE to touching what the LOD did in the WWE. Yea, they were succesfull in the NWA, which was also a promotion that went bankrupt and out of buisness. I know, I know, now im gonna get drinks thrown at me from the rafters, how dare I soil the good name of the NWA. Well, what the fuck ever, what i said was true.

Kayfabe, yea, the Busters would have a chance, but I think you have to draw it even. As far as who was the better team, and who meant more to wrestling as a whole (you know, the non fantasy land part of this) its the LOD in an absolute fucking landslide.

The Busters are WILDLY overrated on this forum. Yea, I said it.

Mighty NorCal, I think you are entirely entitled to your opinion. And I'm sure there are tons and tons of people who were kids at the time the LOD was in WWF who might agree. They were the ones who especially loved the much more child-friendly version of Road Warriors promoted by WWF. It just happens that I completely disagree.

Road Warriors throughout their career were always much more entertaining when they were in pursuit of the titles rather than as champions. As a team, they appeared so incredibly dominant, the fun (and frustration) was seeing how a seemingly inferior pairing could consistently outsmart or weasel out of every encounter without Hawk & Animal taking their belts. It was simply the dynamic of how the team was booked and, actually, thrived.

What I'd be warn you to be careful about is downplaying the importance of The Brain Busters' achievements in NWA. When you bash the NWA, you're also inherently bashing the Road Warriors, who spent the majority of their career in that organization. In other words, if Arn & Tully's success in NWA isn't impressive simply because it's the NWA, then why should I be impressed by the Road Warriors' achievements there?

At the time both teams competed for NWA, they were a very credible, historically sound organization. The purchase of the company was about business, not the credibility or quality of their wrestling product, so it shouldn't play any role in whether or not one or the other tag team is "worthy" in some way.

As you point out, this one really could go either way, depending on how the teams were being booked at any given time. I think because this is a forum filled with people who tend to value work-rate over kayfabe stuff like whether or not someone is extremely over with the crowd, it's clear who's going to come out on top in this one.

I understand the legacy of the NWA and the Busters perfectly well, thankyou. In the tournament though, unless things have changed, its supposed to be the two teams at their PRIMES which is were I am envisioning motorcyles, spikey football pads, 80 thousand chanting fans, and asses being kicked. I understand the LOD spent a ton of time in the NWA, hello, I had that sweet video game for nintendo. Regardless, the Road Warriors experienced success FAR past those days, and to much greater levels, while the Busters main success and height of accomplishment came DURING their NWA run, and its subsequent going out of buisness. You seeing what im puttin down here?

The LOD has spanned damn near three fucking DECADES of tag titles, and popularity, and has owned every single federation they have come into. I dont so much tag issue with people thinking the Warriors could very well loose to The Busters in kayfabe, because its certainley plausable, but I wouldnt make the split any more than 50 / 50. What ISNT a toss up, however, is the Road Warriors legacy and impact on tag wrestling. As I have said before, they are The Hulk Hogan / Ultimate Warrior of tag wrestling.

I dont discount the Busters, or The NWA at all. I think everyone ELSE just discounts the Warriors, their talent, their accomplishments, and gets a bit TOO excited about the Busters. As I said earlier, you are dealing with a team that has EVERY ingredient to be loved by the IWC, against a team that has EVERY ingredient to be hated by them. The Road Warriors arent getting even CLOSE to a fair look by most people.

While I question the math (three decades?! I'm counting 1983-2000, basically), I almost totally understand where you're coming from on this one. At the same time, I think that in envisioning the Road Warriors at their prime, the Brain Busters would have still gone over them.

It's the nature of how the industry works. These seemingly unbeatable Goliaths are taken down by the least likely candidates. While teams like the Powers of Pain (one of my all-time favorites, despite being straight-up knock-offs!) could match L.O.D. in terms of strength, they still couldn't get a win. Yet, against a team like Money, Inc., the Road Warriors would somehow slip up, allowing their opponents to sneak a victory and the belts away! (This concept wasn't unusual at all. Using your own example of Ultimate Warrior, who would have ever imagined Sgt. Slaughter would beat him?!)

It seems like you're basing your decision on some combination of being a genuine fan of the Road Warriors (which is great!) and common sense (that two 280 lbs. monsters would KILL Tully and Arn). Unfortunately, common sense has never played much of a role in pro wrestling. In fact, most storylines and booking go counter to common sense!

At any rate, I think it's great that you're making a really strong argument in favor of the Road Warriors. I really respect the back-and-forth dialogue it's spurred. It's sure as hell better than the name-calling I've seen other resort to on here!

I find it quite the coincidence you use Money Inc in your example, being that LOD BEAT Money Inc on a major PPV in 1992. Also keep in mind, this match takes place in a WWE ring, a place were the LOD were INFINTELY more productive and successfull than the Brain Busters were.

As ive said, I can totally understand an argument for a jayfabe victory, but I certainley dont think that aspect is overwelmingly in favor of the busters, and I DO feel that the historic aspect is overwelmingly in favor of the Road Warriors. Personally, I take both kayfabe and historical impact into perspective equally when voting, so thats what im basing it on. Good argument though.

"ZOMG they beatz them before"

X, you sicken me. Of ALL the people to use the kayfabe fantasy land argument, I wouldnt expect it from you.

I find it quite the coincidence you use Money Inc in your example, being that LOD BEAT Money Inc on a major PPV in 1992.

:disappointed:

You said yourself, right there, that past wins matter. There's no argument for the L.O.D. against the Brain Busters. In a wrestling match, there's just no contest. L.O.D. will bring their power, and probably dominate most of the way, but they'll make a mistake, and leave the door open for Arn and/or Tully to capitalize, and take the win.

Uhhhhh except for the 4 or 5 arguments I made. When exactly did I ever claim past wins didnt matter? Im saying that this ISNT ALL about that, its about more than that. I was also merely saying that, becuase if thats the example and route he wants to go, well, The LOD beat the very team he was using as an example. Its a mulitfaceted thing, voting in this, im not sure why everyone is looking at this so narrow mindedly.

Oh, wait I DO know why. Becuase voting for The Brain busters as a better and more impactfull tag team than the Road Warriors is heresy. Thats why.

You're right Norcal, this is a tournament to determine who's the best team. And The Brain Busters were such a better team than the Road Warriors, it's downright scary. Shit, I used to love LOD as a kid, and I suppose they are underrated considering all the people ragging on them in this thread, but better than Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard? I think not, in any way. The Brain Busters defined tag team excellence during a time where the tag divisions were full of outcasts from Mad Max like Demolition and the LOD.

Shit I'd take Tully alone over both members of LOD, he could work a better match than either Animal or Hawk could have dreamed to.

Which is absurd. Shit yea you loved LOD, which only further shows how well they did. Fucking EVERYONE when I was a kid named them as their favorite wrestlers. Right up there in popularity with UW and Hulk Hogan, right fucking up there. Were Tully and Arn great technicians? absolutely. I also feel they were pretty vanilla, and dominated a promotion that went out of buisness. The LOD were so much more succesfull and dominant for a such a greater amount of time, I just cant BELIVE how much of a landslide people are making this out to be.

I know im fighting a losing battle though, I just though SOMEONE should stick up for the Road Warriors. There is zero chance here...lets see....

Hugely muscles power wrestlers, who were faces, and had a huge amount of success in the WWF

Vs

Technical wrestlers, who were heels, and had most of their success in the old NWA

uh, yea, good luck on that one on an internet wrestling forum. Its sad, really.

Which is absurd. Shit yea you loved LOD, which only further shows how well they did. Fucking EVERYONE when I was a kid named them as their favorite wrestlers. Right up there in popularity with UW and Hulk Hogan, right fucking up there. Were Tully and Arn great technicians? absolutely. I also feel they were pretty vanilla, and dominated a promotion that went out of buisness. The LOD were so much more succesfull and dominant for a such a greater amount of time, I just cant BELIVE how much of a landslide people are making this out to be.

I know im fighting a losing battle though, I just though SOMEONE should stick up for the Road Warriors. There is zero chance here...lets see....

Hugely muscles power wrestlers, who were faces, and had a huge amount of success in the WWF

Vs

Technical wrestlers, who were heels, and had most of their success in the old NWA

uh, yea, good luck on that one on an internet wrestling forum. Its sad, really.

Now I'm just confused Norcal. A minute ago you were criticizing me for using the "fantasy kayfabe" argument because the Brainbusters have beaten the Road Warriors. But then you go and praise the Road Warriors and say we should vote for them because of how successful they were and how dominant they were? Is that not the same exact argument?

I vote for the better wrestlers/team, and no doubt about it Brainbusters were the better team of wrestlers. Vanilla? Seriously? Not a chance in hell, Arn and Tully were more exciting than 99% of the WWF's entire roster at that time and were miles better than the overrated LOD.

I dont understand how you could be confused. Successfull, IE, won tag titles everywere, drew numbers, were insanely over, you know, the way we (er, me and Sly) use to show every team doing good? I mean successfull in a non kayfabe aspect. Dammit YOU KNOW WHAT THE FUCK I MEANT :lmao: dont play that shit with me.

thats fine if you think they were overrated. The most popular tag team EVER whose popularity spanned numerous boom periods, while The Busters main success came as a part of a larger entity, in a federation that went bankrupt. Right, The LOD are definately the ones out of these two that are overrated :rolleyes:

Well, because it isnt just a fanatsy tournament. I know thats what it has grossly mutated into because of the sham that was the singles tournament this year, but this is actually supposed to be about who is the BEST tag team. Just sayin.

Jot it down, NorCal...because this will only happen once in a wild blue moon. I disagree with you. Comparing the Road Warriors to Hogan and Warrior is absurd. LOD was great, and made out to be an unstoppable force. That being said, Arn and Tully stopped them. In an actual match. Therefore, if you're going based on kayfabe, Bustahs beat LOD.

Their tag title reign in the WWE wasnt very memorable, didnt comprise of very many big match ups on big cards, or angles. not even CLOSE to touching what the LOD did in the WWE. Yea, they were succesfull in the NWA, which was also a promotion that went bankrupt and out of buisness. I know, I know, now im gonna get drinks thrown at me from the rafters, how dare I soil the good name of the NWA. Well, what the fuck ever, what i said was true.

THE Legion of Doom's reign in the WWE was its LEAST memorable of their reigns in Pro Wrestling. In the AWA, Georgia Championship Wrestling, and the NWA, the Road Warriors were dangerous. In the WWE, they were popular, but not the same team they were in their glory days. Arn and Tully were. They were equally successful as a tag team in the NWA and the WWE. And Arn Anderson is one of the greatest tag team wrestlers in history. Period. The Minnesota Wrecking Crew would beat LOD. There, I said it.

Kayfabe, yea, the Busters would have a chance, but I think you have to draw it even. As far as who was the better team, and who meant more to wrestling as a whole (you know, the non fantasy land part of this) its the LOD in an absolute fucking landslide.

Arn and Tully were apart of the original faction in pro wrestling. AND were a dynamic tag team. LOD simply wore paint, power slammed everyone, and that's it. When it comes to an actual match, they can be outsmarted, and were very often.

The Busters are WILDLY overrated on this forum. Yea, I said it.

Just no, Norcs. The Busters are vastly underrated and underestimated as a team. They managed to take the Warriors best shot and beat them in their OWN HOMETOWN. Mental mistakes cost LOD, despite their power game. And it would cost them again. Vote Busters.

I personally have only been voting and not posting on the tournament so I figure this is a good one to start posting on. Personally i never got into the Road Warriors or L.O.D. Sure they are powerhouse guys but they are just very technical whatsoever. All you need to do is make it a semi technical match and you'll really negate there power. And the Busters are both guys who are very capable of that and thats why i see them getting the Win here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back