WWE Region, Wellington Subregion, First Round: (14) British Bulldog vs. (19) Sheamus

Who Wins This Matchup?

• British Bulldog

• Sheamus

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WWE Region, Wellington Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at the TSB Bank Arena in Wellington, New Zealand.

2332973.jpg

Davey_Boy_Smith_5227.jpg

#14. British Bulldog

Vs.

sheamus_bio.png

#19. Sheamus

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

It's a shameful thing these two meet so early in this tourney. See what I did there? With the whole 'shameful thing' pun because it's part of Sheamus' theme song? Eh, who cares?

I give this one to Bulldog on a coin flip. I can make a case for Sheamus with him beating John Cena for the WWE title and beating many modern day foes with his brute strength and Brogue Kick. Problem is, Bulldog's even more powerful, which is why I'd give the match to Bulldog.

Rule Britiania!

British Bulldog would win here. Sheamus has been a world champion, but I honestly believe that Bulldog's Intercontinental title was worth more than most of Sheamus'. There's certainly no doubting their lasting impact is vastly different. Sheamus' legacy will be that he was good not great, whereas Bulldog is still regarded as one of the best Europeans to make it in the US ever. I know Sheamus has done more, but I can't see past Davey Boy beating him.

After reading a little more into Bulldog, I'm kind of unsure. I'm still leaning Sheamus but not as much as I was.

Fact of the matter is, British Bulldog was an insane draw, but he only got a chance to be an insane draw on one night, Summerslam 92, aka his home country, and even then there were a few good matches scattered over the card for the most part. I will say that BB was a bigger draw than Sheamus.

On the other hand, we have the incredibly consistent Sheamus. After his feud with Jamie Noble, there was literally no point that he was out of at least the upper-midcard. It's hard to pin-point his best run because most of his runs have been excellent, but the guy has beaten a huge array of stars, while Bulldog more often than not put on a tremendous display, but lost outside of his home country against the top guys.

After having said that, I'm probably going to vote Sheamus, but I can be persuaded.

I think these two would have a really good match. Both are big strong guys who would trade a lot of big power moves, they are pretty well matched in my opinion. However , although Sheamus has won world titles, he really isn't thought of as a star on the same level as The Bulldog, who people are calling to be inducted into the HOF, and who's IC title reign is a lot more prestigious than Sheamus holding the title in recent years. If Bulldog had come on to the scene at the same time as Sheamus, he would have been pushed ahead of Sheamus. Davey is just better overall than the Celtic Warrior.

I think these two would have a really good match. Both are big strong guys who would trade a lot of big power moves, they are pretty well matched in my opinion. However , although Sheamus has won world titles, he really isn't thought of as a star on the same level as The Bulldog, who people are calling to be inducted into the HOF, and who's IC title reign is a lot more prestigious than Sheamus holding the title in recent years. If Bulldog had come on to the scene at the same time as Sheamus, he would have been pushed ahead of Sheamus. Davey is just better overall than the Celtic Warrior.

This rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, there's no doubt Davey Boy is a legend, especially here in Britain, but to heavily imply "People have been begging for him to get into the HoF, while they haven't done so for Sheamus" is absurd. Sheamus is still an active wrestler, and he's won more world titles than Davey has (Davey in fact never has been World Champion), and his reigns have been decent, and all longer than the 59 day reign BB had.

Davey Boy Smith was never the top guy. Sheamus has been, albeit momentarily. There are other factors to support Davey, but this isn't one of them.

I get that some people are into the Bulldog, but I never really was. I agree that this would be a good, physical match between a couple of powerhouses. I just can't go with Bulldog because I always thought the hype that he's gotten never really matched up with what I saw on my television each week.

When I think of these two and had to pick their brightest moments, I always think of Bulldog's match against Bret Hart at SummerSlam 1992 and Sheamus beating John Cena for the WWE Championship at TLC in 2009. Bulldog vs. Hart was easily the better match and was the single biggest day in Bulldog's career. He pretty much fizzled after that. While Sheamus has never been the man either, he was 3 time World Champion for a total of 361 days.

I think Davy Boy could beat Sheamus and it wouldn't really bother me to see him do it, but I just can't go for him here. While Davy Boy's the stronger of the two, Sheamus strikes me as the better brawler, he holds wins over most of the biggest WWE stars of the day and won 3 World Championships along the way.

I agree with Tastycles that Bulldog's IC title meant more than Sheamus' title runs. BUlldog to me was better in the ring than Sheamus by quite a bit. I will admit I am not a fan of Sheamus, but even still I think Bulldog would be the better man on this night, and in the end I think Bulldog will be remeembered much more than Sheamus ever will be. Gotta go with the Bulldog.

I like Davey Boy but I do feel he is overrated on this forum. He was always more successful as a tag wrestler than a singles star. People remember his IC title reign being much better than it was. Yes, the match where he won the title was awesome, but what happened after that? Do you remember any Bulldog title defenses? I think he had a brief feud with Repo Man before dropping the title to Shawn Michaels only two months after he won it. He then immediately disappeared from the WWF.

Sheamus has won a couple world titles which is something Davey never did. His 2012 was better than any single year Davey ever had. I'm sure someone is going to bring up he was champion on the B show but that's at the very least equal to the IC title of the 80s and 90s.

We all remember Bulldog as a great wrestler. That's fine. He was always good in the ring and never had a bad match. Just take a second to imagine this match actually taking place though. Who do you picture getting his hand raised. My vote goes to Sheamus.

Best two things about Bulldog were his dreads and his brother-in-law.

Owen.

Just the simple fact that Sheamus was world champ takes it for me. Buddies with Triple H and a diminished tier-1 championship aside, Sheamus was still a champ at top level.

[YOUTUBE]lGuKEbaqwco[/YOUTUBE]

Here's the thing. Davey Boy may never have won a world title but he main evented Summerslam in the UK (something that hasn't happened since) for the Intercontinental Championship. Sheamus hasn't even done that with the WWE or WHC.

Politics (and his personal problems) kept Davey Boy down. Whereas politics helped Sheamus rise somewhat (as to how much is debatable)

So if there was no backstage politics I honestly see Davey Boy edging out the victory. Nothing against Sheamus but he ain't from the motherland

Sheamus has been in the WWE for only five years as part of their main roster, and he's already a three time World Champion. Who did he beat to win 2 of those championships? John Cena, the face of this era, a man who right now will go down as one of the top five wrestlers in history.

Bulldog had a nice run with Dynamite Kid as a tag champion, and the match in which he won his Intercontinental Title was an awesome one. Unfortunately, he fizzled after that, and accomplished little. He dropped the title to HBK shortly after, and did little else of note during his multiple runs in WCW and back to the WWF. All the would have, could have, and should have insistence in the world that Davey should have been a World Champion doesn't mean he did. He was always overshadowed by the more famous members of his family, be it Bret, Owen, or even the Anvil.

Bulldog was an excellent tag team performer who found moderate success as a single's competitor, but could never sustain it. Sheamus has beaten every big name of his era that he's faced, including Brogue-kicking HHH into his role as a part-time wrestler.

The argument could be made that already, Sheamus has a leg up on Davey as a single's performer. Not many people beat Cena for titles and then retain, but Sheamus did twice. Davey's shot at the World Title against the Cena of his generation, Bret Hart, lead to a loss.

Davey was no pushover, and he would give Sheamus everything he can handle, physicality wise. But Sheamus wins a physical battle here.

I think Sheamus has a very VERY good win percentage. He prolly has one that is only rivaled by the top dogs in the last 5 years. I'd take Sheamus. Always liked his style, he is a good worker, great tempo and someone who can beat a big name on his day.

The Irish take this one

Sheamus is brutal & has done more in his short time here than Bulldog really has done. One on one I just dont see a running powerslam keeping Sheamus down for the count.

Good power matchup, but in the end a Brogue Kick takes Sheamus to round two.

Backing Sheamus here. I love Davey but whether you see the Intercontinental Title as being a bigger deal back then what the World Title and WWE Titles were when Sheamus won them, doesn't matter. Sheamus is a World Champion and has beaten many of the top main event names that are around, including Cena. Bulldog beat Bret in one of my favorite matches ever, but that was his only truly big victory. More times than not, from what I can remember, Bulldog was always a chaser and built to make others look good but rarely won in the big matches. Sheamus in the end he has already had a better career than Davey and he's still going.

Sheamus has nothing going for him here. He is outmuscled, outpaced and outwrestled by someone who is simply better than him in every way that matters. Had Davey gotten the title at KotR 96, as he should have, then this wouldn't even be up for discussion.

Maybe my judgment is clouded from being such a giant HBK mark as a kid, but I was never a huge fan of anyone related to The Hart Foundation. True story, five year old me was so pumped after Michaels threw Bulldog out at the '95 Rumble that I kicked my grandad trying to imitate Sweet Chin Music.

I know Davey Boy was a big deal in the UK and to a lesser extent most of Europe, but when the title that was essentially created for a guy like you to win is more memorable for Al Snow's reign, its sort of a problem.

In five years in the WWE, Sheamus has accomplished about as much as Davey did in his career, minus the tag team accolades. Just look at the year Sheamus had in 2009, he was on fire most of that year, winning the WWE title after only being on the roster about six months. On top of that he beat Cena. Not many people can say they beat Cena with only six months experience on the big shows. While a strong case can be made that Davey should won a world title somewhere in his career, the fact remains that he never did. Sheamus has accomplished the feat three times.

It would be a very physical brawl, but I think Sheamus puts it away.

Edit: Fuck, there isn't a single bit of goofiness in this argument......quick have this crazy Sheamus fan.

C8PJp.gif

British Bulldog would win here. Sheamus has been a world champion, but I honestly believe that Bulldog's Intercontinental title was worth more than most of Sheamus'.

Even if you make this case, it doesn't change the fact that Sheamus has three world title victories that total out to more than a year with the strap. Each of his three reigns have been longer than Davey Boy's one IC title reign, including two of those reigns by Sheamus being the WWE Championship, the company's top prize. I prefer The Bulldog here, but I'm afraid Sheamus is the fair choice.

In the words of JR, this match would be a slobberknocker. Both are strong and really good brawlers. I liked Bulldog as a kid, but as others have pointed out, he's mainly known for tag team wrestling. Sheamus has made a bigger impact in WWE in just over 5 years.

There's no doubt they would beat the tar out of each other. However, I don't see the running powerslam being enough to put Sheamus down for the count. Sheamus moves on to round 2 by dimming Bulldog's lights with a brogue kick.

I'm taking Sheamus and I don't think it is close. Bulldog is someone I remember being more impression for his talent than his kayfabe achievements. His prime was undoubtedly main eventing Summerslam, but I can't compare that to three world titles and a Royal Rumble win. Nor does Bulldog's runner up finish in a Rumble, or his infrequent forays into the main event picture vs HBK on a few occassions.

Nah, for me Bulldog is a tag team wrestler with a BUNCH of talent, who was able to forge a memorable upper-midcard career. That's good enough for him to be in the tournament, NOT good enough to be close to one of the most strongly booked people we have in a hotly competitive WWE today. Sheamus has dominated Del Rio, Big Show, Mark Henry, Daniel Bryan etc, all of whom I'd also take over British Bulldog. I could make a more coherent argument but I hope it's really not needed, it's Sheamus clearly unless we are voting for the most talented.

As an aside - I do think the Intercontinental Title win for Bulldog should be considered equal to a world heavyweight title win today, i'm certainly not underselling it. Sheamus also being a two-time WWE champion completely mitigates that for me.

Wow I don't get how anyone can vote for Sheamus here. The guy is so mediocre.

British Bulldog on the other hand was apart of one of the greatest tag teams of all time, one of the greatest factions of all time, and had a singles run that included a couple of matches that are true classics in every sense of the word. Sure he never won the WWE Championship, but so what? If he wrestled in Sheamus' era, where World Titles have been tossed around like hot potatoes, Bulldog would have no doubt gotten a reign or two as Champion. And you know what? He sure as shit would have done a lot better with the ball than Sheamus did (at least on camera, where it counts here).

And kayfabe wise, I still give the edge to the Bulldog. Like I said, Sheamus won championships in an era where that kind of thing is less impressive. Could he have beaten Bret Hart in 1992 for the IC Title? I sincerely doubt it. But Bulldog did just that. That win over Hart alone surpasses any kind of victory Sheamus has gotten in his career.

Sheamus would Brogue Kick the British Bulldog right out of this tournament. He understands the English style, as he's from Ireland! Right? Yeah, that's logical.

Let's be honest. Sheamus is a monster. He beat Daniel Bryan in 18 seconds. He beat John Cena in a tables match to gain his first ever WHC. He's destroyed nearly every opponent he's faced for the last couple years.

British Bulldog was never quite this dominant. Sheamus is a monster. Sheamus' fast paced brutalizing style would simply decimate Bulldog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back