WWE Region, Wellington Subregion, First Round:(11)Nick Bockwinkel vs.(22)Carlos Colon

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Nick Bockwinkel

• Carlos Colon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WWE Region, Wellington Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at the TSB Bank Arena in Wellington, New Zealand.

2332973.jpg

bockwinkel3.jpg

#11. Nick Bockwinkel

Vs.

carloscolon.jpg

#22. Carlos Colon

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Nick Bockwinkel should have had a much higher seed. I try to give a strong argument for him every year and the funny thing is I didn't get to see much of him at all. From what little I have seen I liked a lot. He just has the presence of a champion. He dominated the AWA for at least ten years. A lot of people think the AWA was a distant third to the NWA and WWF because it folded in 1990 but before the WWF's national expansion the AWA was viewed as an equal to the big two companies. Bockwinkel ranks right up there with Race, Backlund, or Flair. You could make a similar case for Colon as he was the most dominant man in Puerto Rico but there seemed to be a lot more chaos and disarray there. Colon won the title something like a 25 times with many of those reigns being short or coming after the title was vacated for some reason. Colon is someone that deserves to move to the second round. He just got a bad draw. Bockwinkel moves on and hopefully can get pretty far this year.

Bockwinkel is extremely underrated as a wrestler. He started as a tag team partner of Ray 'The original Crippler' Stevens and dominated the AWA Tag Title scene. Once he broke off from Stevens, he went on to be the face of the AWA when Verne Gagne didn't want the belt.

Also, Bockwinkel has beaten Gagne, Lawler in Memphis, and many others during his reign as champion.

Frankly, Carlos Colon is useless outside of his own promotion and even then, he only managed a time limit draw against Ric Flair, which was accomplished by the likes of George South and the Italian Stalion.

Vote Bockwinkel.

Bockwinkel was really far ahead of his time in a promotion that was a long way behind its time, but somehow it worked. Colon is one of those guys that should be in the hall of fame etc because he had an enormous impact on the territory that he set up and ran, but ultimately he made little impact elsewhere. On that note, this has to be a win for Bockwinkel.

Two great stars of their respective promotions, but I think Bockwinkel is always a bit underrated in these tournaments. I got a chance to watch a lot of his stuff, and he could seriously win a tournament like this. Colon also is a legend in the sport, but I think Bockwinkel would outsmart Colon for a narrow victory.

Saving my Bockwinkel arguments for when it's needed, but the guy definitely should be at the business end of this tournament most years. I really don't think his legacy is that much less than the likes of Ric Flair. That, vs the most obvious big fish in a little pond in the entire competition. I don't mind Colon and it's nice to see Puerto Rico get some love. Very much deserves to be in this tournament, very much deserves to go home first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back