WWE Region, Wellington Subregion, Second Round: (6)Rey M. Jr. vs. (11)Nick Bockwinkel

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Rey Mysterio Jr.

• Nick Bockwinkel

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the WWE Region, Wellington Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at the TSB Bank Arena in Wellington, New Zealand.

2332973.jpg

rey-mysterio.jpg

#6. Rey Mysterio Jr.

Vs.

bockwinkel3.jpg

#11. Nick Bockwinkel

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Assume that all wrestlers are at full strength after their first round matches.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Shouldn't these seeds be reversed? Actually doing that still probably wouldn't put Bockwinkel as high as he should be. Bockwinkel is one of the smartest wrestlers there has ever been and I think he would have plenty of ways to counter Rey's high flying moves. Bockwinkel wins in an upset that really isn't an upset.

Ensue the haters to come in, and wank about how Rey Mysterio is overrated, and how the older guy should go over, because Rey Mysterio is shit. Lemme spit some truth on this;

Point the first; without Rey Mysterio, you probably don't get Lucha. Yeah, yeah, El Santo, go piss off. Unless you're Echelon or Gelgarin, you probably got introduced to Lucha Libre by Rey Mysterio in WCW, or ECW. Unless you're Killjoy, and came from, I dunno, Mexico or something.

Rey changed the game pretty damn well. And all that international flair you saw in the 90s? That's all Rey-Rey, with a little hint of Konnan.

Point the second; someone is going to say Rey won the title because Eddie died. Well, great, so what? Nick kept holding on to the title because that's how Verne rolls. If we kept voting based on what happened backstage, well, we'd all vote Earthquake over John Cena, because Cena ruined careers, right?

Right, I'll choose to look at this from what happened in the ring. And I didn't see Rey beat Eddie's corpse to become champion. I saw him beat Kurt Angle and Randy Orton in a triple threat, to become World Champion in WWE. The 5'9" guy (which, yeah right, he ain't that tall) became champion in the land of giants.

Yeah, infinitely more impressive than Bockwinkel. No sarcasm.

3. Rey was more entertaining. Oh, you whine? Ring psychology? Great, but when a good chunk of your match is stalling, for the sake of "ring psychology", then you bore me, broski.

Rey entertained me more, and he entertained you more, too. Search your heart; you know it to be true.

Do the right thing, and vote Rey Mysterio. And if you are to vote Nick, do it with an original thought, and don't just repeat Echelon or deem.

This is a classic underdog face vs smug heel matchup. You know who wins most of those matches in payoffs? The heel.

Bockwinkel is vastly underrated in this tourney. To hold a clean pinfall on Jerry Lawler in Memphis during Lawler's prime is no feat to overlook. All Bockwinkel did was go to a certain territory, beat or time limit draw with their top guy and walk out the champ.

Mysterio, on the other hand, has his moments, but nothing to compare to Bockwinkel. Rey's title reign was more of a tribute to Eddie than being trusted as a top guy like Bockwinkel was in the AWA.

Vote Nick here.

Rey seems to be seeded rather high in this tournament, and Bockwinkel is always underrated here. He carried a company for a long time as their champion, and while I love Rey and all he did in this business I just think the heel goes over in this round. Rey would give it his best, but he goes down here.

Bockwinkel was one of the cornerstones of the AWA and held the title 4 times for a combined 2,990 days. He beat every single big name there was to beat in his time period: Verne Gagne, Bret Hart, Dick the Bruiser, Mad Dog Vachon, Hulk Hogan, Curt Hennig, Dusty Rhodes, and he beat Jerry Lawler in Memphis.

Rey Mysterio was squashed by the likes of Henry, Khali, and Kane as world champion. His legacy is being the greatest cruiserweight of all time. He isn't known for being a heavyweight champion. That accomplishment is almost like a footnote. His road to becoming champion is far, far more remembered than him actually holding it. I don't think anyone hardly ever remembers his second run except for Kane fans, because Kane squashed him like a bug.

Nick Bockwinkel would do the same. Vote for Bockwinkel; one of the greatest of all time.

This is a tough one. On the one hand you have a very solid world champion who's intelligent style is genuinely very innovative and who carried a company for a very long time. On the other hand you have in Rey Mysterio a guy who whilst he may not have been on top for very long, absolutely changed the game in terms of little men being able to be the most popular wrestlers and also in terms of influencing people after him. I could have gone either way, but I'm going with Mysterio because he's losing at the moment and I'd like a close match.

Bockwinkel was one of the cornerstones of the AWA and held the title 4 times for a combined 2,990 days. He beat every single big name there was to beat in his time period: Verne Gagne, Bret Hart, Dick the Bruiser, Mad Dog Vachon, Hulk Hogan, Curt Hennig, Dusty Rhodes, and he beat Jerry Lawler in Memphis.

Rey Mysterio was squashed by the likes of Henry, Khali, and Kane as world champion. His legacy is being the greatest cruiserweight of all time. He isn't known for being a heavyweight champion. That accomplishment is almost like a footnote. His road to becoming champion is far, far more remembered than him actually holding it. I don't think anyone hardly ever remembers his second run except for Kane fans, because Kane squashed him like a bug.

Nick Bockwinkel would do the same. Vote for Bockwinkel; one of the greatest of all time.

I agree with this totally. Mysterio is the greatest Cruiserweight of all time in my opinion, but his runs as World Champion were pretty poor. He lost far more frequently than a champion should, and he looked weak throughout. Compare this to Bockwinkel, who was a top guy for many many years and who beat the best in the business time and again.

Bockwinkel is the only pick in this match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back