• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Over The Limit - Randy Orton (c) vs. Christian (World Heavyweight Championship)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpoodBeest

City Dweller, Successful Fella
20110513_otl_orton_christian.jpg

If there's anyone who deserves a rematch in WWE, it's Christian.

After a 17-year career, Captain Charisma finally achieved a lifelong dream by winning the World Heavyweight Championship at Extreme Rules (PHOTOS). But, that dream would soon become a nightmare.

In an stunning decision made by SmackDown General Manager Theodore Long – and the WWE Universe – Christian found himself defending his title against Randy Orton just days after Extreme Rules. And with one well-timed RKO, The Viper wrested the title from Christian.

Although visibly shaken by the loss, Christian quickly rebounded.

The following week on SmackDown, Christian was already full of confidence, declaring he could beat Orton when he’s at 100 percent. Then on that same night, in an unlikely tag team bout, he teamed with Orton against Sheamus & Mark Henry. With the Killswitch, Christian gained victory – and perhaps the momentum he needs to beat Orton at WWE Over the Limit.

Can Christian find a way to recapture what he’s always dreamed about? Or, will WWE’s Apex Predator prove once again why he is an eight-time World Champion who knows what it takes to win?

To find out, order WWE Over the Limit, May 22, live on pay-per-view, or be a part of the action live at Seattle’s KeyArena by ordering your tickets here.

So it appears that we will be getting the rematch from last week's awesome television match. The match proved that both Orton and Christian can work well together and made a taped match for television with commercials in between bits exciting from start to finish.

So I'm pretty excited to see what work ethic these two will bring to SmackDown's main event for Over The Limit. I'm sure this will turn out to be an awesome pay-per-view quality match. My only issue is the predicitablity factor as I don't see Orton losing that title anytime soon let alone just over two weeks of winning but the overall quality this match will bring come OTL will make up for any factor of predictability . Post your thoughts and opinions on this match here.

This match would of been awesome if Christian was the one going into it as WHC. I think the line would have been drawn 50/50 as far as what people believed to be the outcome. Now this match is to be watched for the wrestling aspect. We all know who will win this one; i would be 100% shocked if Christian came out the victor.

This match would of been awesome if Christian was the one going into it as WHC. I think the line would have been drawn 50/50 as far as what people believed to be the outcome. Now this match is to be watched for the wrestling aspect. We all know who will win this one; i would be 100% shocked if Christian came out the victor.

You said it, man. I would be up in the air as to who would win between the 2 if Christian were going in as champion and hell, if Orton were to win it here rather than less than a week after Christian won the title, I wouldn't have been upset like I was. But alas, Orton is the champion and I really don't see him dropping it this soon.

So while the predictability of the outcome does take some points away for me, I'm still looking forward to the match. They pulled off a pretty damn good TV match last week and with PPV Title match time to use, I suspect it will be even better. Maybe around ***1/2-**** territory.

I'll still be hoping for Christian, though.

I'm just happy that Christian is in a much better place in his career than he was at this time last year, I know everyone is upset about him losing the heavyweight title, but be honest....did you ever really expect WWE to push him as hard as they have? I know we all had our finger's crossed, but I don't think anyone really thought it was gonna happen.

As for the match, I'm sure they will put on a very good bout, possibly better than the one they had on Smackdown. I don't expect Orton to drop the title, but you never know...crazier things have happened.

Wow. This booking doesn't make a lick of sense.

If these 2 were going to meet at Over The Limit, then why the hell didn't they just wait until the ppv to put the title on Orton in the first place?? That way Christian gets his one month title reign and Orton gets to be the top guy on SD.

Even if it turns out to be part of some plan to have Christian turn heel at the ppv, that still could have been accomplished without him having to drop the belt 48 hours later.

Alberto Del Rio's also been hurt by this whole thing. He faced Christian 3 times leading up to Wrestlemania and lost every time, then lost to him again at Extreme Rules. But Randy Orton was able to beat Christian on the first try. It took Orton once to do what Del Rio couldnt do on 4 attempts.

At a time when WWE's roster is incredibly thin and lacking in depth, why make so many guys look so weak? This has nothing to do with me being an IWC Christian "mark". I'm really not that big on him. It's just that its such bad booking. plain and simple.

It's not just Christian either. A while back it looked like they were gonna push Nexus, Sheamus and Barrett. Then they pulled the rug out from under all of them, just so Cena/Orton could go over. Again.

If they want Cena and Orton to dominate each show, then fine. But their failure to build a strong supporting cast and a believable lineup of contenders for Orton/Cena isn't smart

This match is effectively meaningless. WWE already gave away that they have no faith in Christian. So why should I buy into the match?

to the people still bitching that Christian lost the title........ HE IS MAIN EVENTING HIS 2ND PPV IN A ROW FOR THE WORLD TITLE! STOP BITCHING! Christian is lightyears farther then i believed he would ever get at the moment! On to the match.......... Yes Orton gets the win here with im sure a Christian heel turn after the match, i believe this match will steal the show and be a MOTY candidate

I agree with MMK 1000%

If they wanted to make Orton the top guy on SD! that's fine, but what purpose did it serve to have Christian lose so early? They could have easily let him lose at OTL and nobody would have thought anything. A 3 week title reign at least looks somewhat decent compared to a 2 day Kane style title reign.

I'am a fan of both so I can honestly say that I'm stoked for this match. They made a ppv worthy match on SD! and now their going to be in a real PPV. I really will not be rooting for anyone in this match but I'm hoping it will be as fun and as fast paced. The fact that everyone else is bitching doesn't bother me at all since their the ones with the problem, and also the people bitching about other people bitching. I was also upset when he lost, but I got over it and now I'm hoping for a second show stealing match of the night between Christian and Randy Orton.

first off, i just think its great to see how much respect christian has earned over his career. When you see a guy who doesnt have the typically over muscular body, who has been around for 12 years without FULLY breaking through the glass ceiling in wwe some would say(which i dont feel is the case. he deserves where he is at) and hardly anyone has said he doesnt deserve to be the champion. the people fully believe in him without a doubt. wat a great show of respect for this guy. especially from the iwc who r the biggest critics of all. true testament to this mans ability. as for the match, dont be fooled to see christian get the belt back just to see an orton-christian 3 in june. wwe throws curve balls. i know im not the only one that didnt wanna see christian vs del rio at extreme rules cuz it was SO predictable that alberto was gonna win. then look wat happens. just to shock us they gave christian the title. always be ready for the unexpected in this day and age. no matter who goes over im ok with it though. just hoping for a solid ppv quality match

Randy Orton wins. Now that we have that out of the way we can move on to the positives and not focus on the fact that there is no question as to who will win. Their match on Smackdown last week was on of the best we've seen in years, and I am very much excited for this match. I say that anyone who is upset about Christian losing the title(I am too) should focus on the fact that it will be an exellent match. Then if he did win by some crazy miracle it would be that much sweeter ;) but Orton is the face of Smackdown and 9 times out of 10 he will leave champion.

I'm hoping this ends in a Christian heel turn. If that happens, I'm happy.

It's going to be a great match, no question. These two obviously work well together, so the match quality won't be an issue.

The booking? Hard to say. As I'm a bigger Orton mark than I am a Christian mark, I don't care if Randy keeps the strap. He's better, and more important. Sorry, that's how I see it.

I was really looking forward to a Christian heel turn, but I didn't see any indication of that on Smackdown last night. They still have another episode of Smackdown to set that in motion, or, they could just go for it all at Over the Limit. I won't be upset if Christian loses and doesn't turn heel, but I won't be happy either.

This has potential to be one of the best main events WWE have put on in some time, it really does and I do believe that. The match on Smackdown was superb with both men working well together in ring, Randy Orton didn't seem to be going by the motions like he did with CM Punk, The Miz and Sheamus.

I see pros & cons at having this matchup booked for this PPV.

Pros After seeing the match they had on Smackdown you can almost guaran damn tee that the match at the view will be 4 star worthy, & possibly the match of the night.

Cons With the news out that Christian is seen as nothing more then just an upper midcarder, & w/how he lost to Orton on smackdown we can chalk this up as another predictable match set for PPV :banghead:. Furthermore like some have already posted if they was gonna book this match anyways what they hell was the point of having Christian drop the belt so soon? I understand Orton is the bigger draw, but damn is Christian really that bad for business to the point where he isn't even worthy of carry the belt for 3 weeks. Was he really gonna hurt Smackdown ratings by holding the belt for less then a mouth? I have read comments saying well least he is Main Eventing or the reason for him losing is so he can turn heel. If all this is done so that Christian can turn heel what kind of payoff is that? He is just gonna get bashed like CM Punk did if he goes heel, & who really wants to see a superstar there routing for main event when you know they are just gonna get bashed anyways.

At the end of the day I'm sure it's gonna be a great match, but damn it's really all bad knowing that Christian won't have the opportunity to ever run w/the big one. I was one of his fans that was really looking forward to seeing if he had what it takes to be in that spot.

It is a little bit predictable!!
But that match and consequent storyline are good... It will probably be the best match at Over The Limit!

I like the move of putting the strap on Orton, that give me curiosity on what they will do to Christian!
I want this match to end in a draw!! I really want!!
That gives Christian that feeling that he was so close and with that build a even better storyline...

Randy Orton will retain that's 90% certain!!

Their match on Smackdown has certainly raised the expectations of the matches that they are going to have from now on. I expect their PPV match to be even better than their match from Smackdown. Usually the second match in a feud is even better than the first one because more often than not the underlying story in these matches is that the wrestlers involved have learned from their mistakes. Two very good examples of this are the second ladder match between HBK and Ramon and the submission match between Austin and Hart. Christian and Orton are both solid performers and I do expect them to adhere to this formula and put up a great show.

As for the result I expect Randall to pull through here. I think Christian is going to be the one who is going to eventually turn heel but I would book another match between them before it happens. I'd like to see them in a Ladder match next with Orton pulling through there as well and Christian totally losing it for not being able to put Orton away in his signature match.

I think this match would've been a bit less predictable if Christian was the one walking into the PPV with the title. I also would've been happier with that so we wouldn't have had Christian holding the belt for less than a week. I can only assume that Orton is due for a long title reign (which I'm going to say I'm not exactly looking forward to) and that he'll be picking up the win here in order to get Christian's rematch clause out of the way so that he'll be out of the title picture for the forseeable future. Being a Christian mark myself, I definitely would NOT want to see that happen. That said, my reluctant prediction for the winner of the match is Orton BUT I'm pulling for Christian here all the way to win even though I think the odds of him walking out with the title are pretty slim.

There is no doubt in my mind as to who the winner is. It will be Randy Orton. He wouldn't drop the title so soon considering that he's supposed to carry SmackDown. There is such little doubt in my mind that I wonder why they're putting on this match in the first place. Unless... they want to turn Christian heel. Which I would love. I think we'll see Mark Henry getting involved somehow. WWE seem intent on giving Henry that push that he gets every so often.

If their SmackDown match is anything to go by, this should be technically sound. However, how much I enjoy the match will be affected by my ardent belief that Orton will retain. That's a bit annoying.

The two put on a great match the other week, and this match should be no different. Predicatble outcome, sure, but should be damn entertaining otherwise.

For all the folks on this forum who were outraged that Christian was given such a brief championship reign, I really believe that the scenario was planned and explained to him and that in exchange for it, he was promised a heel turn that brings a major push with it.

Yes, it's also possible he could take back the title in this match, but I don't think they brought a mega-star like Randy Orton to Smackdown just to have him lose to a mid-carder like Christian so soon after winning the belt. Of course, it's also possible that the company is planning more matches between the two, meaning that Christian could win now.....only to lose it back next month. In either case, I doubt Christian will be a long-term title holder.

Personally, I believe Christian will value the big push more than the transitional title reign. He wallowed in mediocrity, both before his TNA period and after it. The guy was going nowhere in WWE......but I think his time is here, finally.

Go, Jason!

Well what a PPV with two main events beyond obvious, we all know that Cena is going to retain just like Orton will.

They had a great match on SD!, so I'm hoping for an equal or bigger match for this one. My only hope is that even if Christian loses the match, he will have a couple more matches woth Randy for the WHC, this way becoming a full time main event player even if he isn't champion.

I think this could possible lead to Christian's heel turn which he valuably needs to keep his career in a decent position, it would draw major heat, and as we have seen in the past, he been great on the mic as heel and seems to get more time as well

I know Orton will retain during the PPV, he is the top guy on Smackdown and the top guy does not lose the world title after two weeks. I am looking forward to the match though because if it was anything like they had on Smackdown it could make the whole PPV. Christian is really good on the mic though, i watched last Smackdown thinking no way he has a chance at the WHC again, but after he was done, i though he may have a chance at it. He is that good.

If Christian actually won I would mark the hell out! His reign was cut short, and I get the reasons, but it's still a bunch of crap! Anyway, their title match on SmackDown was great and this will be the match of the night at Over The Limit in my opinion. I also see a Christian heel turn. He'll be so down and out after Orton beats him, I just see the attack coming.

As much as I want Christian to win.... it's not going to happen because Orton needs the belt as the top guy of the blue brand and his reign should last a long time. Orton is the top guy on Smackown and Christian does deserve a rematch, but he will probably lose. This will be he match of the night though. They had a PPV caliber match on Smackdown and get the chance to steal the show on PPV now. Christian will put up a heck of a fight only to get hit by the RKO and Orton walks out still champion. Closing match most likely.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Randy Orton will retain the World Heavyweight Championship.

with Christian's promo on SmackDown talkin about bein a 100% prepared Christian kind of leads me into believing that he will cheat to win, who knows, maybe a Chris Jericho return could happen, i mean hell, Randy Orton "supposedly" took him out of in-ring competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back