WWE Drops MITB

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to The Wrestling Observer, WWE officials have decided to drop the Money in the Bank ppv from the schedule. There was talk recently of also doing away with the TLC ppv but, instead, they've decided to move TLC from December and use it to replace MITB in July.

There's been talk since late last year that WWE was considering bringing the MITB match back to WrestleMania and it looks as though that's the direction that they're going. I'm assuming they'll go back to the original concept of a single match at WM with the winner being free to challenge for either the WWE or World Championship anytime up to a year.

I'm a little bummed and excited at the same time. I've enjoyed both the MITB ppvs, both shows were just extremely good in my view. At the same time, it'll be fun to see the match back at WrestleMania where it originally started. Plus, with a single briefcase, there definitely can't be anymore complaints about overusing the concept with two briefcases.

I wish they had kept the pay-per-view, they had a good chance of making it their fifth biggest annual event, perhaps even surpassing Survivor Series with how poorly it had been doing up until The Rock's tag match. There are other ways to incorporate multiple mid-carders into WrestleMania at once.

This makes me happy. Not that I hated the MITB PPV, far from...but I hated it when they stripped the MITB match from Wrestlemania. MITB works brilliantly as a way to whip the Wrestlemania crowd into a frenzy at the beginning of the PPV. It's a very exciting match that gets the crowd pumped up in a way a traditional match doesn't. When you can have multiple 'holy shit" moments to kick off your biggest PPV of the year, the crowd gets loud.

HALLELUJAH!

This is some of the best news that I've heard in a very long time. By cutting this down from two matches to one, it helps give the title some more strength. The problem with MITB is that having too many of them waters down the impact that one of the cash-ins have. By having just one of them around all together, it takes away the problem with it. I'm not wild about the concept in general, but this is a step in the right direction.

I like this move, myself. For one, given the choice between Money in the Bank and TLC, I would definitely keep TLC. The MITB shows have been good, usually, especially the 2011 edition, but I've never been blown away by them, and the MITB match is one that I feel is especially prone to dilution when it's held twice in one night. TLC, meanwhile, keeps the dilution to a minimum by varying all the gimmick types and I am usually left walking away from the TLC shows with a very positive outlook of them. I would expect TLC to continue its tradition of excellence in the future, so I'm glad to see it stick around. Meanwhile, I sincerely doubt that ditching the MITB PPV means ditching the MITB match, so I would expect it to be returning to WrestleMania. I really like this, for a couple of reasons. One, it's usually guaranteed to be a heck of a match, so it brings a near confirmed great match to the Mania card. More importantly, it gets a lot of young talent a spot on the main card and a chance to show their stuff. Given the fact that WM will probably draw about 5 times as many buys as MITB, this will expose the midcard guys to a way larger audience than the MITB PPV did. MITB matches at WrestleMania arguably made CM Punk, and gave a lot of young and/or midcard talent exposure that kept them around. So, all in all, I feel like this is a great decision by the WWE. It saves the right PPV, helps trim down the extraneous ones, and brings a great match back to its rightful home. Good work all around.

and the MITB match is one that I feel is especially prone to dilution when it's held twice in one night.

I second this, in addition to what I said before. You get into that second MITB match, and you get a huge sense of deja vu, like you just watched this. The first one gets me excited to watch, the second one always feels like a let down, because I already watched one.

I absolutely LOVE the Royal Rumble match, but if they had two separate Rumbles in one PPV, it wouldn't be as special anymore. MITB is largely the same thing.

This is great news. I hated having MITB as a ppv. I hated having two MITB winners running around. We only need one and it makes it more fun to watch when you don't know which champ he'll cash in on. So I'm happy they'll put it back at WM where it belongs and have only one winner like it should have always been. :)

Yeah, scrapping the best non-Wrestlemania PPV we have been getting in the last few years. This doesn't sound good, for me.

Money in the Bank is a fantastic concept and worth of its own PPV.
Considering we have a lot of meaningless, consequenceless, gimmickless filler PPVs, scrapping one of the few that is actually interesting is a bit nonsensical for me.

And it's not as if Wrestlemania needed that match, even less this year...

By the way, I do agree we should have a single briefcase, not two. But this doesn't mean that we can't have a MITB PPV.

This can be taken as a bit of a clue regarding what creative are planning for the Wrestlemania card if the MitB match is going to be taking place then instead.

With such a busy card potentially planned already with Rock/Cena, Punk/Jericho, the WHC match, Undertaker/???, Shaq/Show, something with the Divas, they're running out of space for showcasing the mid-carders, and a MitB match is a perfect way of getting 8 more superstars on the card.

GOOD! I'm glad!

The MITB as a PPV was weak. The concept always held a special meaning when it was done JUST at WrestleMania, but then when they split it and made it its own separate PPV and made 2 separate matches...suddenly the prestige of holding the case was de-valued and surprise cash-ins went out the window.

However, like Jack-Hammer I am a little disappointed. I think the MITB as a PPV could've worked better. WWE could've had a MITB card that some matches like this...

~ Throw some mid-cards together in a MITB for either a shot at the US or Intercontinental title.

~ Tag Title. You could have some of the same guys in the match that were in the mid-card MITB. Maybe place this AFTER and show some animosity if you have partners against each other in the match before.

~ Throw a few main eventers with some upper mid-carders ready for the main event scene into a match for a shot at either WWE or WHC.

~ Take some NXT/FCW guys and put them in a match for a WWE contract for RAW or Smackdown.

~ Divas MITB. Something new a refreshing for the division.

~ Tittle matches for leftover spots.

I think leaving it WM as one match will bring value back to the case. Besides, it ALWAYS gave fans something too look forward to for WM and usually was a good opener.

The MiTB match itself is ******ed. It just turns the whole year in to some "I'm going to hold the champ hostage until he's at his most vulnerable spot and then steal a cheap win while he's down" concept. Really, what I think they should do to modify the MiTB match if they should even keep it is to say the winner has to give the champ notice and it's defended on a PPV as one of the main events. At least if done like that, it would give somebody like Jack Swagger a chance to step up to the main event tier of the roster with a buildup to the match.

From a fans perspective i love this since MITB should be a Wrestlemania Event and also there should only be one briefcase. From a business perspective, this is stupid. Fans always pay for MITB matches whether they are at WM or their own PPV. The smart business decision was to keep MITB out of Wrestlemania and to make its own PPV.

This makes me happy. Not that I hated the MITB PPV, far from...but I hated it when they stripped the MITB match from Wrestlemania. MITB works brilliantly as a way to whip the Wrestlemania crowd into a frenzy at the beginning of the PPV. It's a very exciting match that gets the crowd pumped up in a way a traditional match doesn't. When you can have multiple 'holy shit" moments to kick off your biggest PPV of the year, the crowd gets loud.

This is how I feel about it almost 100%. I don't care that they put 2 or 3 guys in who have no chance of winning, they usually provide some holy shit spots and it gets the crowd going. By having it as a theme PPV, which I'm not a fan of the theme PPVs, it really stretched the rosters. Thats 14 total guys in two matches with a fairly large risk of injury. Put it back at Mania where it belongs

The funny thing about MITB was that it was the actual title matches that stole the show - especially last year's match of the year CM Punk vs John Cena. In 2010 I thought that the Mysterio vs Swagger match was certainly a fine performance from both men. They might as well bring back The Bash with these kinds of matches!

I don't think the MITB PPV has to be eliminated. The way I would have the WWE PPV schedule is as follows.

Jan. Royal Rumble, Building the road to Mania, and having a #1 co. for the WWEC. or WHC. established for Mania.

Feb. No PPV, give time to bulid up Wrestlemania matches.

Mar. Wrestlemania, the biggest show of the year. ( Could have a ten man, 20 minute scramble match for a #1co. to one of the titles. This could replace the MITB match at Mania.)

Apr. No ppv, time to build to next big ppv.

May, King of the Ring, bring back this great event. Have the winner face the WWEC or WHC. at the main event of Summer Slam.

June, no ppv, build story lines for summer slam.

July, Summer Slam, the biggest event of the Summer and the second biggest event of the year. Perhaps have it in a football stadium, like mania, making it a big deal but carefully not making it bigger than Mania.

Aug. No ppv, build toward next big ppv.

Sept. MITB PPV. Its a popular ppv which is what they need during this tough time of year with all the football. Could help keep fans watching during the month of Sept. This event could cover the TLC ppv making the MITB matches TLC matches with briefcases.

Oct. Cyber Sunday. This would be a free ppv for fans to see some of their own creations in the ring, with certain matches made by the fans. This could cover the Extreme Rulz, and Hell in a Cell ppvs and help keep people watching throughout the fall. Give the fans something for being loyal.

Nov. Survivor Series. This would be the last ppv if the year where traditional Survivor series matches can take place to settle bragging rights. This PPV could also cover the Elimination Chamber match or matches for the year.this would all bring more prestige to the classic event. after all, the E.C. was first used at the 2002 Survivor series.

Dec. No ppv, but they could have the entire Tribute to the Troops show shown and made more of a big deal, with a holiday theme tied into the show.

I know its only 7 ppvs a year and 1 would be free, but I think it would be covering everything that we are getting now. It would also give more time between ppvs to build up story lines properly and get ppv buy rates up in the process. May need to add a couple more ppvs, but I basiscaly think this is a blue print for a year of WWE PPVs that could work and make all ppvs special again.

I'm a little relieved to hear this. This was always an awesome Mania attraction that assured fans a certain level of "daredevilry" at the biggest wrasslin event on Earth. Something that you really couldn't count on another match to pick up that slack.

Besides, Daniel Bryan has done for MITB what Poison did for 80s hair metal; I'm so sick of the Hardcore-title-style cash ins, I'd almost prefer they did away with the match altogether. I will admit, though, the PPV itself has been pretty good the last couple of years.

Pretty disappointing new here, I really loved the concept of having the match at it's own PPV.

The Money in the Bank PPV has been consistently good over the past 2 years, in my opinion the 2 ladder matches themselves made the show, thus making it easier to book the rest of the show and usually having a great outcome. The 2 briefcases I don't think were 2 much, well not to the extent that others claim it to be. I am sure the PPV will be missed by many, but at least now we can safely say that there was never a bad Money in the Bank PPV.

Now as for it's return to Wrestlemania, I think it will obviously work. Due to time constraints the spots may be not as spread out but that adds to the fun factor of watching these matches sometimes. I don't care too much how many winners there are a year as long as it is less than 4, but 1 person winning it once a year does seem to make it more prestigious to win. The match quality may go down a bit, but the purpose of the match originally was to be a fun opener for Wrestlemania.

As long as the match is around, I am guess I am fine having it at any PPV. We all know we are going to see a fun match no matter what PPV it is held on.

Good. As much as I loved this years event, I like this. Aside from the MITB matches, any other good match on the card could and would happen at another PPV. And I doubt anyone would be that pissed off if there was only one MITB match per year.

Would I be sad to see the number of MITB matches go down to one? Hell no. The fewer there are, the more special they become. And they don't get more special than by having it at Wrestlemania (though you could argue it's own PPV would challenge this, but I personally disagree).

Having two MITB winners limited the winner to their own brand, where as I liked Edge jumping to Smackdown to beat Taker for his first World Heavyweight title. I like the unpredictability of which champ is gonna get it, and that was lost with the seperate briefcases.

Definitely not a bad move in my opinion. Specialty matches shouldn't always get their own PPV. Then again, ironically, I would have said MITB deserves it more than TLC or Hell in a Cell. Either way, glad that it's going.

People will bitch and moan, personally I'd rather another ppv have been dropped and brought back the King of the Ring but having Money in the Bank match happen at WrestleMania I believe is much better than having in it's standard PPV, though last years PPV (MITB) was possibly the best PPV of the year but the match concept is far better suited for WrestleMania

Glad but Sad it's gone really ... Glad because well 2 cases ... you are stuck facing your brands champion ... it's not like say CM Punk & Daniel Bryan have to watch their backs for that one guy to attack. Say Kane for example won it ... both champions have to be aware of the possibility of being attacked by Kane. Also agree with Honkey Kong, Notice to the champ seems better especially for ratings lol Only time i remember and possibly the only time period when the champ was ever given notice was in 2006 when RVD told John Cena e was cashing in at the PPV One Night Stand. RVD looked stronger and gutsier by telling him straight out he was coming for me at the PPV and not a simple pick the bones type way ... When he won i'll admit i marked out for RVD ...

Also TLC needs to be kept i think ... especially if you can keep up match quality ... My personal favorites were TLC 1 & 2, Edge & Undertaker, And CM Punk, Miz and Alberto Del Rio at TLC 2011. Much credit to Ricardo Rodriquez for that sickening Table spot ...

And One last thing ......... BRING BACK ARMAGEDDON DECEMBER 2012 !!!

*** THE END OF THE WORLD *** ^^^ The End Is Here ^^^

Good news. There was no need for 2 MITB winners every year and having them restricted to their own brand. It takes away the prestige and the shock factor.

Now that there's an open spot in the PPV schedule... really hope King of the Ring will be brought back in the near future.

lol they took away the PPV that CM Punk was undefeated in... I was kinda hoping for this to be a built story line in the future... Undertaker has WrestleMania Hogan has Summer Slam... i was looking forward to MITB PPV being Punk's... o well

Like many others, I will agree that this is a plus for the WWE. I have complained in the past that the Money in the Bank concept had lost its touch since the days of Edge and Rob Van Dam. The concept has lost its shock factor. Having two Money in the Bank ladder matches and restricting the winners possible cash in to one show really hurt the concept overall. No longer did both Champions have to continuously look over their shoulder hopeful the MiTB winner would cash in. I miss the days of finding out a Raw superstar had cashed in on a Smackdown superstar to win the World Title. Shock factor was the major ingredient that was missing from the concept. Had the Money in the Bank ladder match stayed at Wrestlemania, it’s probable we could have had Alberto Del Rio cash in on the World Champion instead of WWE Champion; imagine where his career would be had he done so. Now that it's back at Wrestlemania, hopefully the concept can once again become something I look forward to each year.

This is a somewhat good news. Having two MITB winners really diluted the concept and made it hard for the creative to develop two guys as credible champions simultaneously. Also, having a single winner makes it more unpredictable as to on which champion the cash-in will occur.

Adding it to WrestleMania gives a few guys a chance on the 'Mania card and an exciting match. The creative also, does not have much to do in regards to building this match and could concentrate more on the other storylines.

MITB was a great PPV, but MITB should stay at WrestleMania. It makes the event much more exciting and there is no need to have 2 MITB winners each year. It makes the concept watered down. I don't know why WWE is bringing back one of its worst PPVs in Bragging Rights. There isn't really a brand split or feud anymore since Raw is now super show with pretty much every major Smackdown member on Raw every week. Does anyone really care who the superior brand is based on a PPV for an ugly Stanley Cup looking trophy? Raw will always be the A show so Smackdown winning a tournament or a Smackdown wrestler winning anything is still underwhelming because no one cares about Smackdown as a flagship show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back