WWE 2012 Royal Rumble - Punk (c) VS Ziggler (John L Special Ref) - WWE Championship

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
20120102_royalrumble_punk_ziggler_0.jpg

WWE.com said:
At the 25th anniversary of the WWE Royal Rumble, CM Punk will defend his WWE Championship against Dolph Ziggler in a highly anticipated title bout. For Punk, the Royal Rumble provides the opportunity not only to put the loudmouth challenger in his place, but also to remain under the skin of Interim Raw General Manager John Laurinaitis. For Dolph Ziggler, the Rumble allows the WWE’s resident showoff the chance to turn words into actions and walk out of St. Louis with the WWE Championship.

After weeks of back-and-forth between the two Superstars that included the showoff challenger stating his intent to beat Punk and become a “real” champion, Punk and Ziggler will finally settle their score at the Rumble, further ensuring that the pay-per-view’s 25th year will be a memorable one.

Perhaps the most egregious affront to The Straight Edge Superstar’s well-being during the course of the past month came during the final Monday Night Raw of 2011. With the cards stacked squarely against him by Interim Raw General Manager John Laurinaitis, The Second City Savior faced an uphill battle to make sure his hometown Chicago faithful left the arena happy. In the second of three title-free Gauntlet Matches scheduled by Laurinaitis, Punk faced Ziggler after defeating Jack Swagger just minutes earlier.

After an untimely distraction from Raw’s esteemed Interim General Manager, Ziggler hit a devastating Zig Zag, pinned Punk and momentarily silenced The Voice of the Voiceless. Furthermore, in typical Ziggler fashion, the braggart paraded around Chicago’s Allstate Arena with Punk’s WWE Championship in hand, leaving its true owner to watch intently from inside the ring. (PHOTOS)

On the first Monday Night Raw of 2012, the WWE Universe got another glimpse of Punk vs. Ziggler — this time for the WWE Championship. However, instead of a decisive end to this budding rivalry, tensions ramped up as a result of a Mr. Laurinaitis causing the WWE Champion to be counted out. Now these two outspoken Superstars will collide in St. Louis on January 29th at the Royal Rumble, elevating a rivalry to new heights.

Can The Second City Savior put his Royal Rumble opponent to sleep and retain his title when it matters most? Or will the WWE Universe have to get used to hearing a whole lot more bragging by Ziggler (and, by proxy, his overly vocal and heavily involved manager, Vickie Guerrero) in 2012?

Johnny Ace seemed to really stir the pot up enough for this feud to extend through to the Royal Rumble. Now, he's named himself the special guest referee in the WWE Championship match.

Although it's had little to no build, this should be a great in-ring match. But let's face it... poor Dolph is in the crossfire here. This match is really about getting CM Punk and Johnny Ace in a ring at the same time, in some way. One of them is bound to lay their hands on the other at some point in the match.

Discuss it here.

Should be a good match. Their match last week was pretty good and it's a really good way to keep Dolph in the main event talks. Obviously like D Man said it is just about CM and GM being in the same ring at the same moment. I expect this match to be a very good match with CM eventually coming on top. I predict there will be a big interference here to help Ziggler try. Maybe Jericho..

There is no way Ziggler Wins at rumble. He's not defending it at Mania and theres no way WWE would waste Ziggler's first world title run for a month. I just don't see it happening.

There is no way Ziggler Wins at rumble. He's not defending it at Mania and theres no way WWE would waste Ziggler's first world title run for a month. I just don't see it happening.

Uh...Ziggler is already a one time World Champion.

I think it's entirely possible that Ziggler picks up the victory here. I'm intrigued as to where this whole angle is going.

This match should be damn awesome. I now understand why they didn't let these two go all out tonight because they're saving that action for the pay-per-view. If you seen these two's match in November then you will know were in for a treat come the Rumble. Their match was one of the best TV matches last year, so them with PPV time can only mean awesome things will happen. Dolph's performances as of late and against Edge last year get me excited and of course Punk's been on fire all year long, never disappointing in his match performances. Johnny Ace as the Guest Referee will be interesting and hopefully doesn't distract too much from the action in the ring. Anyway this match plus the Rumble itself is enough to get me to order this show come January 29th.

Uh...Ziggler is already a one time World Champion.

I think it's entirely possible that Ziggler picks up the victory here. I'm intrigued as to where this whole angle is going.

Im talking about a real title reign not the one that didn't even last a week. I just don't think there's a chance that ziggler will defend the title at mania. And I don't think there going to waste his first REAL title reign for like three weeks.

CM PUNK Will Win.

But, the match will steal the show. Ziggler and Edge's match last year was phenomenal and Punk and Ziggler have by far the best match of Z012. Ziggler and Punk always have and always will put on great matches.

Disappointed this match is more about Laurinitis and Punk rather than Punk and Ziggler. I have no idea where this is going either. Laurinitis has been an incredibly boring GM, and this is almost identical to the SS match where HHH was ref.

This match will probably end john's run as interim raw GM. Cm punk will retain the title. There's a possibility that he'll lose it at elimination chamber. They might have punk vs jericho as a non title match. It'll be for the title of best in the world.

This will probably be the closest we ever get to seeing Punk vs. Michaels. It will be damn good. I think Punk will win though because to only give Ziggler the title for a month, as I expect Cena to win the title at EC so he and the Rock will be for the strap, would be a waste.

I actually think that Ziggler will ride his wave of momentum to a title victory shortly after Mania though

glad Ziggler gets another ppv top title match; sad he won't be in the Rumble (unless he pulls an Angle from 2005)

And himself and Orton from 2011. Both of them unsuccessfully challenged for the world titles of their brands at the Royal Rumble and later in the night both would be entrants in the Rumble match itself. I wouldn't be surprised if WWE did that once again with those on the losing end of the world title match ups.

I dont know what to expect here with this match. I dont know what they plan on doing with Jericho and that could be a big part here. If Jericho is face, they could pull a swerve with Laurenitus and Punk and help him win the match, thus making Punk heel and giving a screw job to Ziggler. Making a Y2J v Punk: Best in the World match.

Now as unlikely as that one is, I think it plays out with Punk retaining. Maybe the interim GM gets knocked out and another ref or HHH or Vince (you get my drift) makes the count or Laurenitus reluctantly makes the 3 count or submission call. I just dont think making Ziggler a Champion 2 months before 'Mania is a good idea because we all know you arent letting him main event or headline 'The Grand Daddy of Them All' as Champion. So whats the point of having him win, only to lose at the Elimination Chamber.

Im guessing Dolph will win the title at Summer Slam or just before a the June ppv.

I have mixed feelings on this one. I'm glad the Rumble title match is not the rumoured Punk vs Miz match and I do think these two have great in-ring chemistry, but the Laryngitis factor could mean the match is overshadowed by his actions and scrutiny of everything he does rather than the focus being on the two guys wrestling.

This is also the exact same spot Ziggler was in last year, essentially the bridesmaid. I was hoping he'd win the Rumble and go on to Mania to challenge for the WHC as Raw is too crowded right now for him to get the run he deserves.

Best case scenario is next week Punk and Ziggler get a promo segment together and establish a feud between the two actually wrestling for the belt so Ziggler isn't just a lackey, then even though he loses to Punk at the PPV he enters the Rumble and wins it, he has worked twice in one night more than once so it fits with his persona.

I'm also hoping a stip will be added that means if Punk wins he faces Ace in a match, maybe at EC where Jericho can win the #1 contendership in the Raw EC setting up their title clash at Mania.

This should be a better match than on RAW. The crowd wasn't as lively as I thought they would be maybe because they and we thought Punk would be screwed.

As I posted in another thread the winner of this title match will ome down to what the ratingd are. By January 16th Raw if the ratings continue to see saw don't be surprised if there is a change just to see if Ziggler draws interest.

If Dolph wins you know Punk has the rematch so if he doesn't work they will just switch it back to Punk. A Question I have is if Ziggler wins what about him and Vicki. Will Ziggler play the role of an ungrateful SOB and dump Vicki after he wins or will Vicki chalk this up as another World title on her resume.

Can't wait for the Rumble.

This is a rubber match simply for the Punk vs Jericho match at Mania. Not a bad Title defense for Punk. Ziggler can hang with the best of them - in the ring. Jonny Ace makes an interesting focal point aswell.

Its too early to give Ziggler the title. I hope they dont give it to him as a screw job for the storyline.

Maybe we see some interference from Jericho to help Punk keep the title so he can challenge for it.

CM Punk SHOULD win and I hope he does.

Its too early to give Ziggler the title. I hope they dont give it to him as a screw job for the storyline.

Maybe we see some interference from Jericho to help Punk keep the title so he can challenge for it.

CM Punk SHOULD win and I hope he does.

This is exactly what I was thinking when Jericho was the one who debuted and Laurinitus made the match at RR. I thought "no way is Jericho letting Punk lose the championship, he's gotta interfere and then go win the RR (since thats about the only thing he's never done) and face Punk for the title and the championship.

Im glad Ziggler is getting elevated to wrestling for the WWE title in one of the Big 4, and after recent trends the second biggest PPV of the year. These 2 guys really are work horses and with Mr Charisma lol Laurnitis in the equation should be interesting. I see Jericho involvement here.

The match sort of shocked me. There is a lot to be said. First, the match on Raw last night between Ziggler and Punk was phenomenal. Their match at RR will be the best on the card, hands down. My biggest question is where this leaves Jericho. It looks like Swagger will step into the US Title role so maybe Jericho does cost Punk the match, and Ziggler wins, setting up Punk and Jericho. But then what about Johnny Ace? Maybe Punk takes him out because he won't count to three and then Jericho sends him home on a stretcher, I don't know.

In any event, I will put my skepticism aside and look forward to an amazing match between Punk and Dolph.

I'm glad ziggler is getting a main event push and now is just the right time. No way ziggler is gonna win that belt but it'll be a great match. Hopefully Cena vs Kane will happen and danial Bryan vs big show and of course the 30 man royal rumble match itself, can't wait for this event. This is always my best time of year in the WWE and a great time to be a WWE fan. WrestleMania season!!!!

This match should be and will be awesome!! RR is my second favorite event of the year behind WM!! Ziggles and Punk will put on a awesome match and it will steal the show!! I think punk will win!! I want punk to retain until WM time keep the strap after WM then drop it to Ziggler at Extreme Rules!!! I also think this will end the GM role for Johnny Ace after the Royal Rumble!! Its going to be a good match

I know Ziggler has that phony World Championship to his credit, but this is his first legitimate run at the title. Personally, I'd like to see Ziggler's first run be of substance, meaning unless they plan on him defending it at and through WrestleMania, now is not the time. There are plenty of legends who didn't capture the title on their first go around, so a loss doesn't hurt him.

I'd like to see Punk win clean, but that seems doubtful. Perhaps the best possible scenario here is something going amiss with Laurinaitis that leads to a dirty finish where Punk still manages to retain, but where Laurinaitis loses his job. I know people complain about his character being dry, but personally, I just want to see a general manager that manages, not one that constantly has to be knee-deep in the biggest storylines.

johnny ace has ruined this match for me already just the sight of him maes me change the channel 90% of the time and i dont get why hes the ref for this match he needs to stay backstage and remain off tv forever! dolph and punk can have a great fued WITHOUT mr.i put myself over everytime im in a god damn segement john laurenitis being in it and also why the hell was dolph running around with the title? HE DIDNT WIN THE TITLE! that was dumb and pointless either way wwe pissed me off last night with that shitty ass episode of raw but for the love of god lets hope cm punk retains over dolph ziggler because if ziggler gets his first real title run because of ace screwing punk im gonna be pissed...but its wwe and there bigger idiots then tna so its possible

Hopefully WWE does the right thing. Make Ziggler the champion and have Laurinites screw Punk out of his title.

The Punk/Laurinites angle has been boring. Doing something like that might help it pick up some steam.

Punk will win the match and probably lead to John Laurinaitis (The Executive Vice President of Talent Relations AND the Interim General Manager of Monday Night Raw) to either reluctlantly count Punk's pinfall over Ziggler or he will get "accidently" knocked down by Punk forcing another Referee to count Punk's win.

If by some very small chance Ziggler wins the title, he WILL lose it either at or before Elimination Chamber since he won't walk into Wrestlemania as the Champion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back