Wrestlers Losing Height?

Bookerkingston

Occasional Pre-Show
I don't know if it's just me, but there are some wrestlers that I think look significantly shorter than they did 10 years ago.

-Batista
-Hulk Hogan
-Stone Cold
-Albert/Lord Tensai
-Mick Foley
-Kane (maybe)
-Big Show (maybe)

Just something that seemed strange that I was wondering about....

I wouldnt say shorter, but definitely diminished statures, Kane looks noticeably smaller, in or out of costume, and Hogan, stone cold and batista have got older and lost some of their impressive body mass.

Foleys just hunched over as his body has been battered the fuck out of and i dot think he is capable of standing up straight.

I disagree about big show, i think he still looks bloody huge, if anything more imposing, as for tensai/a-train/albert, he hasnt changed a bit since year 2000 (terrible fake face tattoos not withstanding lol)

I don't know about the others, but isn't Hogan legitimately a few inches shorter now then in his prime? I think having 9 back surgeries does that too you. Everyone else looks about the same too me except for Kane. He was noticeably taller than Taker during his debut and yet the last time I saw them together, Punk/Taker build up, Kane was clearly shorter. I really have no explanation for that.

I don't know about the others, but isn't Hogan legitimately a few inches shorter now then in his prime? I think having 9 back surgeries does that too you. Everyone else looks about the same too me except for Kane. He was noticeably taller than Taker during his debut and yet the last time I saw them together, Punk/Taker build up, Kane was clearly shorter. I really have no explanation for that.

If I recall correctly, Kane used to wear lifts in his wrestling boots to make himself look taller. I don't think he does anymore though. Perhaps that is why he appears to be shorter now.

It is one of the following:

- WWE is using less worm's eye view camera work
- these guys are getting worn down physically due to aging and taking a regular pounding
- they were heightening before
- their opponents are getting taller thus making them seem less tall
- you're watching on a smaller TV
- you're getting taller
- you're vision is changing

I haven't noticed.

it is a medical fact that most adults do lose height has they get older. Something to do with the cartilage between your joints getting worn out. But it's really shouldn't be that noticeable. One study I read said men lose about an inch, and women 2 inches. You also start to lose muscle mass and that can make you look smaller as well.

Wrestler's bodies take a pounding and I'm sure that some wrestlers in their 40's like Foley are permanently hunched over. It is also a well known fact that Vince McMahon always liked the bigger wrestlers, and I've read he outright lied about the their height and weight..

First of all, it is common knowledge that billed height and weight are usually exaggerated. I have even read that Andre was billed a few inches taller than he actually was. I know Big Show was billed as 7'2" and 7'4" early in his career but is probably closer to a legitimate 6'11" or even 7 feet. There are multitudes of wrestlers throughout history who have been billed at exaggerated weights. It makes sense as they are supposed to be larger than life, so an average 180-pound man becomes 200lbs. plus and so forth.

Of course, everyone loses height when they age, especially when your career involves a lot of the injury risks such as with pro wrestling. That much is certain.

I don't have any idea about that but I agree with Navi as he say that this is a medical fact. Today I'm 5"7 but i don't think this will remain same or will increase more. It may increase of decrease with the time... But i don't want to look taller, because I think, people who are shorter they need to grow taller 4 idiots.

Hey guys. It's been reported that Hulk Hogan has lost a few inches due to his multiple back surgeries. This is a common occurance and as. A previous poster wrote, our cartilage and bones grind and wear over the years, causing us to lose height as we age.

To be totally honest, I think that through the years, everyone loses a bit of height as they age. But with wrestlers taking the bumps they do, everyone's gonna either take a slight slouch, or they're just gonna lose a couple of inches of the height, more so than just your regular joe. It's a common thing, I think you'll notice it on any wrestler if you look hard enough.

There's an old battle royal on YouTube that I'm too lazy to embed, but it had Hogan when he was starting his run as a face. He must have just gotten the belt, so I'm guessing it was around 86. It also had biker Adrian Adonis and Mil Mascaras.

Hogan was billed at 6'8" tall and weighed in at 400 pounds.

So yeah, they used to embellish and our imaginations took it from there.

Chris Jericho is one of many who wears boosters so his 5'10" natural height doesn't destroy our ability to take him seriously. This is an interesting detail considering when Goldberg got fresh with him in the shower, short Chris Jericho was able to take down a legit big guy.

The two "biggest" no pun intended reasons are:-

The are more "bigger guys" than there were 20 years ago and thus we've become more used to them. When Hogan debuted there was him, Studd, Andre at those big heights with a few around 6ft 5" like Barry Windham... the giants would be replaced from time to time with guys like One Man Gang or the like but you never had too many "big men" of that type on the roster... they were still relatively rare in the business. Around 1990 it began to explode, more taller guys began to choose wrestling. By 1996 the WWF had Kevin Nash, The Undertaker, Glen Jacobs, Kama/The Godfather, Sid, Goldust, Scott Hall, Erik Watts, Dennis Knight, Duke Drose AND Mabel and the Harris twns all on the roster over 6ft 5" with a few like Mark Canterbury, JBL and Bart Gunn around the 6ft 4 mark... basically EVERYONE was huge and within a year they were adding Kurgann, Giant Silva to that as well...

Bigger guys are not an unusual thing any more so it means when we see them it's not special...also the Rey thing, where a tiny guy has been pushed means it's almost immaterial now what size a wrestler is in terms of height, it's almost desensitization.

The other thing is of course HD. A lot of the tricks they used to use to make guys "seem taller" went out the window... Kane doesn't wear lifts cos it'll show on HD that's what he's doing which then equalises out his height to others on the roster.

They basically had to change how they present the entire programme when HD came along, the "bigger guys" outside of those we're used to seeing like Barrett for example seem bigger than they did in the previous format... while smaller guys don't seem as small. It's a particular quirk of HD WWE can use that wasn't there before.. but it means even the really big guys don't seem as big anymore.

Is it a bad thing? No... it's not always as realistic but the old Bret Hart adage is true "once you're on the mat you're the same size..." and that worked for Jericho to his advantage when he fought Goldberg for real.

When I met my wife 9 years ago I was nearly a foot taller than her. Now just a few inches. I actually just realized this a week ago. I may go to the doctor

I am not joking when I say this, but maybe because WWE is shot in widescreen HD now?

Go watch old SD Footage of wrestling, they may appear taller compared to HD Footage. The HD footage may make the wrestlers seem shorter/wider.

I remember this when WWE made the switch and it was jarring at first because everyone looked different. I am used to it now though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back