WrestleMania XXIV: Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels

This can go 2 ways-Very good or very crap.Flairs recent performance haven,t been that great but im sure he,ll give it his all.Also,HBK always crazys people well at Mania so the match will be good without a doubt.One problem is why is Flair going out to another old dude?How can HBK benifit from this?Why not use the young guys like Burke,MVP,Kennedy?That makes more sense.

all of you says that hbk beating flair is a waste of talent, bad for business. it makes me mad the fact that any of you respect a man who put is ass on the line for this business for over 30 years, even when i never like it that much of natche wrestling skills, i do respect the fact that he is the legend that inspire so many superstar and change the business.
that man deserves to walk away after showing tha best he can still do, no making it easy to a mid-class wrestler like mvp, kenedy who hasnt done anything yet, if he is gona lose, at least let him do it with a world title class guy, maybe hbk isnt in his best years, but he is still some of the best that wwe can put on the ring.
and by the way, i didnt like flair, i think he should retire retire way long time ago wining his last match, but is this is the aproach wwe wants, at least do it with style.
WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly don't think having a young heel beat Flair is a good idea for a few reasons.

1) Flair deserves to go out on his terms.
2) Flair is old as shit and as proven, guys like AMVP and Kennedy can't dreag a good match out of him which would make them look bad.
3) Flair has been retired for 10 years in my eyes. He's like Hacksaw AJim Duggan or any other "legend who wrestles sometimes. Flair is not good anymore. He is an out of shape old man with leather flabby man tita and should be far away from the inside of a ring. I love the guy which is why i hate seeing him wrestle now. It is practically an insult.
4) This sunday, HBK will put Old Yeller out of his misery.

Everyone knows HBK should win this, but I dislike how they're making him look like a heel now. Its kind of like they panicked. They spent all this time building it up that the whole point of the match was "two friends, mutual respect", and then it seems like at the last minute, they thought "Shit! The fans don't know who to cheer for! Quick, Shawn, punch Flair so you're the heel!"

Even though this is "all about Flair"...and its been...for months.......yawn.....I still think Michaels shouldn't look like a bad guy in the situation. When he wins, the place is going to boo. Do you really want your last match to end with a case of boos? Wouldn't you want it to be more of a dead silence and applause, as opposed to "boo! Flair lost! Rawr, WWE, ok next match?"

I still think that the match will end with both men using figure-four leglocks and escaping to the ropes, one, then the other, and then having Shawn superkick Flair for the pinfall.

Flair is like Hogan to me. I started watching WWf when they were still WCW guys, and I never liked them. Flair promos bore me, and evertime he speaks his face goes so red, I think he could drop dead right on the spot
That being said, I think this match is overrated. Shit, I dont even like Shawn Michaels that much. I think this match is a lose lose for me. If Flair wins, unlikely, then I have to sit through more of his promos and awful matches. If he loses, hopefully, hes likely to have 15 minutes to say his farewells and get all sorts applause. The ECW title match is reserved for bathroom break. I dont need this too.

I Think If (Big IF) HBK doesn't beat Flair at mania, Ric Flair will somehow beat Michaels and then Retire straight after the match. I can see flair winning and telling us that it doesn't get better then that. He tells the fans this is the greatest match he could have, to call his last match ever in the wwe. And ends his career then and there after a great WrestleMania moment. For a legend like Flair, being forced into retirement on the grandest stage of them all, doesn't seem right. Shouldn't someone of the legendary status like Ric Flair retire on a win?

I can hardly wait for HBK to hit the superkick on Flair and end his career. I hate ric flair. His matches suck, he makes other guys finishers look like crap and he just doesn't have it anymore. I'm sure in the 70's and 80's he was great but I didn't like him in 91-92 when he was with WWF and and I didn't like him when I finally got to watch wcw programiming in the late 90's.

Like a lot of wrestlers he does the same thing every match only he makes it look like crap while other better wrestlers can actually pull it off. WWE programming will improve for the better with Ric Flair gone. I'm totally cheering for HBK on Sunday.

Everyone knows HBK should win this, but I dislike how they're making him look like a heel now. Its kind of like they panicked. They spent all this time building it up that the whole point of the match was "two friends, mutual respect", and then it seems like at the last minute, they thought "Shit! The fans don't know who to cheer for! Quick, Shawn, punch Flair so you're the heel!"

Even though this is "all about Flair"...and its been...for months.......yawn.....I still think Michaels shouldn't look like a bad guy in the situation. When he wins, the place is going to boo. Do you really want your last match to end with a case of boos? Wouldn't you want it to be more of a dead silence and applause, as opposed to "boo! Flair lost! Rawr, WWE, ok next match?"

I still think that the match will end with both men using figure-four leglocks and escaping to the ropes, one, then the other, and then having Shawn superkick Flair for the pinfall.

Great point. Although I have been wanting them to turn HBK heel for years. However, this will only last until the end of the match and like Hogan and The Rock, they will walk out together after a huge in ring love fest.

I do like the build of this match. HBK trying to be Flair's friend, Flair trying to get HBK to be at his best, Flair feeling like the pity case because HBK trys to help him so much and finally snaps because he's so tired of hearing people recite his credentials over and over. Now, finally HBK is ready to end his career. The heel thing is a bit unnecessary...and yet I will be cheering my ass off when HBK wins.

As much as I bash on Ric Flair, I for one was glad to see that promo from Monday Night. That was the Old Ric Flair, that was the Naitch I was looking too see one last time. It has helped to raise my expectation levels for this match just a tiny bit.

First of all, there is no way in hell that Flair is done wrestling. Isn't this going to be retirment number 22 or something like that? I'm still royally pissed that a young guy isn't doing this. Someone could get a much deserved rub by being the man that ended Flair's career. Yes, it's not 1998, and it's not as meaningful as it once was, but Flair going out to HBK is kind of hypocritical in my opinion on the WWE. Here you have a guy, that spent most of his career against the WWE, but he's choosing the way he goes out? But a guy like Bret Hart who busted his ass for the WWE gets shit on on the way out the door, yup, makes sense to me.

ok first off i think Shawn Micheals will beat Ric Flair
but with that said maybe they'll let the streak go till backlash and give the old
man one more good win at wrestlemania THEN at backlash Randy Orton aint
got nothing better to do so why not let him kill one of the biggest legends
of all time also if Shawn Micheals wins by using a figure 4 leglock
i will be so pissed i'll be tempted to quit watching

As things have shaped up recently, I am looking for this match to steal the show. Flair seems to be in his best shape since before the closing of WCW, and was in vintage form on Raw cutting the best promo Raw has seen in years. Michaels has grown on me to be the man to retire Flair, and while the start of this storyline was botched and seemed commonplace, once HBK was thrown into the mix it really stepped up. I only wish that they had started the heat between the two a tad earlier. However, the fact that the storyline between Michaels and Flair has been booked to be more drawn out than most wrestling angles these days pleases me, and the exchange they had on this past Monday’s Raw was a moment for the ages.

Winner-Michaels in one of a couple different ways, depending on if he is to remain heel post-Maina. if he is going to remain heel, I see him working his way out of a figure four and into a sharp shooter or the inverted figure four he’s been using. If he is going to be a face, then look for a flurry of false finishes topped off by a sweet chin music. I am honestly 50/50 on who will go over in this match. On one hand I see this as a perfect opportunity for WWE to swerve the fans as everyone is dead set that Flair is losing. What is the upside of him winning? Flair being the only WWE Hall of Famer still actively wrestling, plus this gives him the chance to go and get one more shot at the gold he has held so many times. This could definitely work out well if HHH walks out Champ at the end of the night, because if Michael’s can’t get the job done retiring Flair, Hunter certainly will. However, I don’t see a better opportunity to retire Flair in a grand fashion than this Sunday at Wrestlemania. This will also be his best chance at a stellar send off match courtesy of HBK. But I don’t see HBK carrying Flair as much as both men truly working to bring out the best in each other. Expect the normal Flair stunt bumps, but look for a serious and stoic match that I foresee will steal the show, and regardless of its place on the card is this years true main event.

I think this match will probably steal the show, regardless of its quality. If this ends up being the end all be all to flair, then the emotion and atmosphere around this will be truly electric, and special. I emplore anyone who gives a fuck about wrestling, BUY THIS SHOW if not just for this match. After his speech tonight at the HOF, I truly belive that tomorrow is the end for flair, and it will be a moment I will feel blessed and honored to have seen live. And I think HBK will serve him well, and deliver, as he always does. Tomorrow, the legend fades away, and HBK, oficially, becomes, THE MAN.

Thank you Flair.

I truly believe that Shawn Michaels will retire, Ric flair tomorow night. Seeing that he got the most spotlight on Raw and his speech from The Hall of Fame, this match could steal the show and im really looking forward to it. I hope that they have a Benoit/ Guerrero moment from Wrestlemania 20.

I just wanted to drop a quick note here on this thread to tip the ol' fedora in a show of respect for the G.O.A.T. Nature Boy Ric Flair. In all reality, I cannot see the wwe pulling a swerve and allowing the Naitch to take the "w" in this one. I am not particularly a fan of Shawn Michaels, but he is probably the best choice to end the career of Flair, what with the comments made by Flair last night at the HOF induction ceremony. I'm looking forward to this match more than any other on the card tonight.

I think everyone predicted the result. It had been obvious for a while. If you were going to get anyone to retire Ric Flair, who better than The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels? The guy who always puts everything into his WM matches, and the guy who has idolised Flair since getting into wrestling.

Whay maybe we didn't predict, was just how good the match was going to be. No one thought this would be bad. But Flair hasn't been his best for a while now. However, this match brought shivers down my spine. Memories of Flair came back, matches people will always love because of the man. Everything was put into this. Shawn Michaels took advantage of everything Flair had, and made it even better. Every move, every spot, every little thing, was great. The match was great, the fans were into this so much, and it was truly the send off Flair deserved.

This was the match people dreamed about as Flairs last, and now, everyone just has to Thank Flair, for everything he did for the company. The emotion in the match, was second to none, and will always be remembered.

What a great way for Flair to end his wrestling career, by stealing the show with HBK at Wrestlemania. This match was great, even though the outcome seemed obvious, there was actually points were I thought Flair might win, when HBK hesitated on the Sweet Chin Music and Flair locked in the Figure Four, for a moment I thought his career might not be over. The ending was great, HBK showing his remorse, mouthing I'm sorry and I love you as he is about to deliver Sweet Chin Music, all the time Flair went down like a man, telling HBK to bring it to him, he went down fighting.

Straight up this was the best match of the night, would have been great if it was the main event, but Flair didn't want it that way and I respect that. Flair is a all time great, and he and HBK delviered an all-time great performance that I and most other wrestling fans will remember forever.

Flair gets it, and thankfully so. No one man is bigger then the titles, especially at Mania, even if that mans name is Ric Flair. I have gained tremendous amounts of respect for this man simply on that alone this weekend.

First of all, I'm going to post this knowing damn well it's going to be nothing but bait for endless amounts of red rep and "I don't know what I'm talkign about" stuff, but it's my opinion so, meh.

Credit must be given to Shawn Michaels, this is the match he wanted with Hogan at Summerslam of 2005. Two guys wrestling each other otu of mutual respect. Hogan wanted a good guy and a bad guy in the match, and the rest is over selling botchamania worthy history. Michaels was right in the end. You can get a great match out of two guys simply built upon respect. This match was much better then the other Icon vs. Legend match at a Wrestlemania (The Rock vs. Hogan).

That being said, this wasn't the match of the night, hell, it might be in the middle. It was good, it was damn good. Father Time simply has caught up to Ric Flair. He tried his hardest, but he simply was worn down 15 minutes into the matchup. No fault to Flair, but he can't go the way he used to. Match of the Year is stretching it, but I'm pretty sure most on here already have that in mind, Meltzer has already published it, and PWI has already made the plaque.

Michaels and Flair delivered, and ended the first half of Wrestlemania with a bang. The booking of this match was correct, right in the middle.

i really liked the match, but i didn't quite like the ending with flair mouthing to michaels to do it. that kind of ruined a bit of it, that he can see it comming, tells him to do it, but can't get out of the way?

do it all with out flair mouthing HBK to do it, and it would be perfect, even michaels remorse was good, and kind of added to the whole emotion of the night.

i also must take back my thinking that i thought mvp or kennedy should of ended his career, while this would of been good boosts for them, the emotion would of been no where near there. but i think that extra emotion was there because everyone knew it was going to actually be the last one this time.

Damn, what a match. Watching it, I had flashbacks of Flair from 20 years ago. He really stepped up his game last night and honestly no one man carried the other. It was both men pulling out all the stops to give the fans something they will always remember. This was definately the match of the night IMO and I'd vote this for match of the year for the simple fact that Ric Flair is possibly the greatest of all time and for this to be his last match is of such historical importance that I think you just have to put aside everything else. I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for Flair and last night I gained even more for the man. The fans in attendence were truly blessed to have been a part of history.

I do agree that the outcome was pretty obvious. You could tell from watching Flair's HOF induction speech that WM would be his last match, but just like Cage said there were a few times I thought for certain HBK was going to tap to the Figure Four, but unlike MrScott, I feel that at the end when Flair looked at HBK, crying, telling him to fight was just so emotional that I even found myself tearing up, which I'm not afraid to admit.

If this is truly Flair's last match then all I can say is thank you for all the wonderful memories.

This was a good match, only problem I had with it that I think it went 5-10 minutes too long. No offense, but Flair was really laboring in the match towards the end, and that just wasn't him a typical ware from punishment. He just seemed so tired out there, and although I am sad he is retired now, I am glad he is gone. Its time to give the spots to the younger stars now and have the older ones step aside. Sure Flair was a good wrestling, possibly the best, but that was like 10 years ago and later. He is in his 50's now, and should have retired years ago. He fits in well in a managerial role, which he was good in the Evolution stable, but besides that he should have not done any other wrestling. He might be in excellent shape for his age, but someone at that age should not be doing what he does. Its only going to hurt in the long run, he has children and should be thinking about them and not his damn career and legacy. But I degress, it is sad to see him gone nonetheless, he is truly one of the greats.

See this storyline is not for Flair to put people over. its for him to be honored on his way out.

HBK being his friend and not turning heel and putting it over flair is a way to retire flair and retain his respect and ensure he goes out on the highest note and not beaten and humilated.

About fucking time. Flair sucks. And he has done for years. It's about time he stopped wrestling. I can now get back to my Ric Flair DVD and watch when the guy was good.

The difference between him and Hogan is this. Hogan wrestles occasionally, and in the same style he always has. He could also do the same match several days before he takes a spot on his deathbed. Flair on the other hand used to do plenty. That's why it's more obvious how much his performances have deteriated.

It's been all down hill since 1992. I pray that was his last match. I doubt it though. GM in 6 months, wrestling again by Mania.

it was the best match of the night, bar none. I cried at the end, when Michaels mouthed "I'm sorry, I love you", and when Flair walked up the ramp. It was definitely a WM moment. But yeah, Flair was starting to suck at the end. I mean, he was in MITB at 22, 23 in a tag-team dark match, and now what was essentially a main-event...come on!

Well, why don't you go out at 59 years old and do some of the things that Ric Flair has done. I really don't think that will happen. Some wrestling fans think they know everything because they love wrestling so much they think they have a part in the show. You don't. Just sit back and enjoy what these performers do for you. Ric Flair may have lost a step on the Flair from 15 or 20 years ago, but he is almost 60 and for a 60 year old man to go out and have a great match with what I feel is the best of my generation and have people crying (me included) in that type of way is a rare to impossible task. I wanted to come on and pay my honor to a man that I have loved watching for 20 years, since the first time I saw him in the ring against Dusty Rhodes. Thank you Ric Flair, I doubt you will ever even know this was posted, but thank you for the entertainment you have given to me. You are the greatest of all time. And thank you for being my hero without even knowing it.

Mike Stanton

Well, why don't you go out at 59 years old and do some of the things that Ric Flair has done. I really don't think that will happen. Some wrestling fans think they know everything because they love wrestling so much they think they have a part in the show. You don't. Just sit back and enjoy what these performers do for you. Ric Flair may have lost a step on the Flair from 15 or 20 years ago, but he is almost 60 and for a 60 year old man to go out and have a great match with what I feel is the best of my generation and have people crying (me included) in that type of way is a rare to impossible task. I wanted to come on and pay my honor to a man that I have loved watching for 20 years, since the first time I saw him in the ring against Dusty Rhodes. Thank you Ric Flair, I doubt you will ever even know this was posted, but thank you for the entertainment you have given to me. You are the greatest of all time. And thank you for being my hero without even knowing it.

Mike Stanton

Most 59 year olds are retired. Why? Because they have money to fall back on, and they realise that they are turning into shit. Newer WWE fan's won't watch The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection and see how great he once was. They'll remeber the saggy, red faced, lobster man that has been wrestling on WWE TV for the past 5 years or so.

Flair didn't lose a step, he forgot how to walk. It's thanks to Shawn Michaels that the match was passable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back