Wrestlemania 27 - Undertaker vs Triple H - NO DQ STREAK MATCH

Is Taker vs HHH lacking the expectation & anticipation Taker vs HBK had?

• True....that makes me wonder as well....

• Considering they'll have to follow not one but TWO HBK vs Taker matches? Unsurprising.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Personally, I was in attendance last night, and going into this I expected it to be match of the night and I was not disappointed. I was torn between the two as for who to root for and found myself chanting for both throughout. I am curious to watch the event to gauge the crowd reaction as to how you guys who watched from home perceived it. I thought the "This is awesome!" chants during the match were pretty amazing and well deserved, but maybe it was only my section. I remember thinking at times "this is supposed to be no holds barred?" Of course towards the end Triple H went Rocky circa Rumble '99 on The Undertaker, but the crowd ate it up. A few things that have already been mentioned like the spine buster through the table, Triple H getting back dropped off the announce table and Triple H tombstoning The Undertaker was amazing. The amount of pinfall attempts from Triple H had the crowd reeling and at one point they started chanting "you can't win!" which was pretty emotional. I too was a little confused at the end as to whether The Undertaker was truly hurt, I personally thought he was but wasn't sure. Triple H sticking around and offering to help was pretty classy. I didn't see it as a Triple H "squash" by any means. I think they did an amazing job. You guys can say what you want about Triple H, but the fact remains, he is a smart worker. He wouldn't do something that would compromise the value of a match especially of this magnitude. To basically say that he has no respect for The Undertaker is absolutely absurd. I thought they did a great job because we all were questioning Undertaker's health going into this.. The fact that Triple H ddt'd Undertaker on a chair, hit two pedigrees and even tombstoned him and still could not put him away says a hell of a lot for The Undertaker. Plus, Triple H tapped out.. How many times have we seen that? Not many. Overall, I think this should definitely be a nominee for Match of The Year.

Pretty simple question did anyone eles think when HHH delivered the tombstone to Undertaker he would be the 1, 18-1?

I was rooting for the game but i knew he was going to lose but when he delivered the tombstone on the Undertaker i actually thought Trips was going to break the streak.

Your thoughts...

Easily, and by far, the match of the night and could very likely end up being the match of the year. I bought Wrestlemania (my first pay-per-view) and watched it with my friends who aren't into wrestling. By the end, they seemed to be even more excited by the match than I was and I was marking out like crazy. When HHH hit the Tombstone Piledriver on 'Taker, I was 110% convinced it was over and a silence fell over me and my friends. When 'Taker kicked out, I've never heard a room get so loud in my life. All in all, it was a phenomenal match and I'm extremely grateful to have had the pleasure of watching it live.

Here's what I do know.

Vince McMahon and family have failed in every venue they've ventured into outside of wrestling.

WBF? May as well burn your money.

Icopro? Isn't there a waherhouse somewhere still filled with that crap?

The XFL? Yeah, nice investment there, can't believe that didn't work!

Do we even have to talk about the direct to the garbage can WWE films?

Or maybe all the money flushed down the drain on Linda's political aspirations? Pretty amazing when even a billionaire can't manage to buy an election!

The McMahons should have more respect for the industry that helped them achieve all that they have - wrestling. Take pride in what you do rather than looking like fools tring to be something you're not.

Guess what? That was 'boring'!

Yeah, and I know why the stipulation was added. One guys couldn't wrestle due to injury and the other just can't wrestle. So we get 30 minutes of punches and broken furniture.

Triple H can do whatever he wants anyway. He's the son-in-law and he's part of the team that booked this mess.

I don't see how it added to the Undertaker's legacy. He looked like a washed-up version of himself, desparately hanging on. And I think he deserves better than that.

My favorite quote ever comes from Paul Heyman off the ECW: RISE AND FALL dvd..."You cannot achieve success without the risk of failure...you cannot achieve success if you fear failure. If you're not afraid to fail, man you have a chance to succeed. But you're never gonna get there unless you risk it, all the way."

You are probably a TNA mark because your opinion of that match is WHACK!!

Thats exactly how McMahon is. Dont crap on a guy for trying new things. Give that man credit where it's deserved.

Both men put on a GREAT show last night and deserve top honors. If you didn't like it thats fine, change the channel while its on or DONT ORDER THE PPV!! That match was exactly what I thought it was going to be...an all out shit strom where they just beat the hell out of each other.

Triple H had everything to do with how that match was booked...but so did Taker. They made it believable that Taker CAN be beaten and that he is only human after all.

If you dont like it, get your ass off your couch and apply for a job at WWE and work your way up to creative. See how well YOU can book the match and see how long it lasts.

I have to admit it. I was fooled. I was thoroughly convinced that HHH was going to end the streak. After all, he is the one, a majority of the fans out there (including me) felt held back younger up and comers. He is known for having a massive ego. He no sold a lot of opponent’s finishers. He is the son-in-law and heir apparent to Vince McMahon. So why not flex his muscles and prove me right?

Then Wrestlemania 27 happened and he flat out proved me wrong. Not only that, he showed me why he is one of the best in the business! Not only did he and Undertaker play out the best match of the night. It had more drama and storytelling in that one match than 10 other WWE Super Stars’ recent PPV matches combined. Damn, it was simply put, OLD SCHOOL.

A few weeks ago, the Rock came back and reminded everyone in the back and to the millions (and MILLIONS) of fans why he is one of the best stick men in the business. Promo Cutting 101. Well, if Rock did that, HHH and Undertaker put on a Match Storytelling 101 class as well. HHH yelling, plaintively, “Stay down!” and “Why are you doing this.” And then finally thinking he had beaten Undertaker with his own move only to not get the 3 count, and then going to the corner realizing he might not have what he needed to beat him was one of the best shots ever. And it brought out the best in Undertaker as well, showing that he could be beat, and him clawing his best to not get dragged back in the middle of the ring. Or when he could barely stand putting his dukes up, reminded me of Ric Flair before the last Superkick by HBK. Just absolutely classic.

So Trips, you have my utmost respect! You have proved to me that someone is going to have to rise above the bar you have set, and knock you off the top of the mountain. Can it happen? Certainly. There are a few people who could develop quickly into the type that can tell a story like you did the other night. But you don’t need to step aside for them. They’ll need to take that spot from you. You have made your point.

TheJujuMan

Thanks for writing this. I have to say that this match has seemed to have gotten a mixed response, I guess that's what wrestling fans are all about.

I have read articles and blogs stating that this match was better than the HBK matches... and some saying it was poor and had too many near falls ruining it. I myself have not yet watched the match to judge but I'm eager to see how it all played out.

As far as HHH goes I don't think his ring work has ever been good unless he's been in a gimmick match like a street fight or a cell match, so I guess this was his fortay, but it was a way of covering Taker's injuries.

It does sound however that HHH although he lost booked himself over Taker, much like Sheamus the year before. It took Sheamus an iron pipe shot and three brough kicks to beat Trips when one puts down guys like Cena....

Like I said I'm eager to see the match and rate it for myself, but I like reading posts like these that are all parise instead of a lot of sites bagging out the performances of these hard working guys, especially Taker who is basically now wrestling with one arm due to his dedication to the business..

My favorite quote ever comes from Paul Heyman off the ECW: RISE AND FALL dvd..."You cannot achieve success without the risk of failure...you cannot achieve success if you fear failure. If you're not afraid to fail, man you have a chance to succeed. But you're never gonna get there unless you risk it, all the way."

You are probably a TNA mark because your opinion of that match is WHACK!!

Thats exactly how McMahon is. Dont crap on a guy for trying new things. Give that man credit where it's deserved.

My problem is with him crapping on what made him. When wrestling suffers in the process of McMahon's next failed pursuit, I have a problem with that.

Both men put on a GREAT show last night and deserve top honors. If you didn't like it thats fine, change the channel while its on or DONT ORDER THE PPV!! That match was exactly what I thought it was going to be...an all out shit strom where they just beat the hell out of each other.

Great description. I agree.

Triple H had everything to do with how that match was booked...but so did Taker. They made it believable that Taker CAN be beaten and that he is only human after all.

If you dont like it, get your ass off your couch and apply for a job at WWE and work your way up to creative. See how well YOU can book the match and see how long it lasts.

Maybe I'll just vote with my wallet instead?

Unlike you apparently, I already have a nice life carved out for myself.

I actually enjoyed the way this match was booked. Did it live up to expectation? I suppose that is down to personal interpretation and perspective. I had an idea for the finish with Trips coming off the top rope, getting caught in the tombstone, Taker turning around to plant him and getting sweet chin music from Hbk resulting in the game falling on the deadman and the ref counting to three. However I am well aware this would " cheapen " the streak and thought the ending the way it was planned worked well.

Pretty simple question did anyone eles think when HHH delivered the tombstone to Undertaker he would be the 1, 18-1?

I was rooting for the game but i knew he was going to lose but when he delivered the tombstone on the Undertaker i actually thought Trips was going to break the streak.

Your thoughts...

The match was very similar to there first one so many years ago. Obviously both guys were alot older and alot more busted up. It was obvious Taker wasn't in good shape and HHH had ring rust. But regardless it was the only half decent match of the night.

Personally i felt sorry for Triple H in this one he carried the match, i knew he was gonna lose but there was that "just maybe" moment and at the end he looked visibly concerned when Taker was flailing all over the place at ring side.

Taker obviously bore the brunt the match with a botched dive over the top rope landing on his shoulder, 2 pedigrees where he bent his head down not flat, 1 tombestone that bent Takers head back and ofcourse the completely unprotected chair head shot.

Taker went in with a bung shoulder, and if that was a sell job at the end i'd be very surprised or he's a great actor. HHH even looked concerned and wanted to help but they didn't let him.

I thought the match was fantastic. Anyone expecting a technical masterpiece is an idiot and I got exactly what I expected and more. These two men threw everything at it. I kind of felt that Takers annual dive over the top ropes was going to be stopped as he's getting closer and closer to killing himself but even that was pulled out.

People talking about making Taker look weak at the end seem to be missing something, Undertaker is going to retire. Probably next year, it needs to happen he can't keep wrestling. He'll probably go out 20 and 0 as well. But if he's made to continue looking invulnerable and unbeatable to the extent he has in the past then him retiring does not make sense. Why wouldn't he just keep going rocking up year after year of victories. In terms of kayfabe by making Taker seem like he can be beaten him retiring suddenly makes sense. Thats the way I see it anyway.

End of the day in my opinion Trips and Taker stole the show and helped save a Wrestlemania that before that only had two matches I think were anything special.

DAGGER’S PREDICTION:
The Undertaker will defeat Triple H.

BY FAR, the best match of the show. I got this one correct, disregarding how easy of a choice it is to bet on the Undertaker at Wrestlemania. Taker is now 19-0 and people are already asking who victim #20 will be. That aside, the match was great. Did it live up to the hype? Not really. Did it save an otherwise terrible Wrestlemania? Sorta. It was the only match that was worth the money spent. From the non-verbal exchange on Raw that set the match up, to the great entrances (80s Metallica anyone?), to the kickouts of both guys' finishers, to wondering if Michaels would get involved, to Trips almost winning, to the epic ending.... this had it all. What a match. Not the "biggest match in history" that WWE tried to hype it up as, but it was two legends going at it on the biggest show of the year and I loved it. Once again, I would not change a thing because it was almost perfect given what Trips and Taker could have done for the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back