Triple H and Wrestlemania

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
I had a bit of a dispute with a friend of mine about who is gonig to win between Sheamus and Triple H on Sunday. I am sure Sheamus is gonig to win, because Triple H puts people over at Wrestlemania. He disagreed with me, but then I showed him the facts.

WrestleMania XII
The Ultimate Warrior defeated Hunter Hearst Helmsley (with Sable)

WrestleMania 13
Hunter Hearst Helmsley (with Chyna) defeated Goldust (with Marlena)

WrestleMania XIV
Triple H (c) (with Chyna) defeated Owen Hart

WrestleMania XV
Kane defeated Triple H by disqualification

WrestleMania 2000
Triple H (c) (with Stephanie McMahon) defeated The Rock (with Vince McMahon), Mick Foley (with Linda McMahon) and The Big Show (with Shane McMahon).

WrestleMania X-Seven
The Undertaker defeated Triple H

WrestleMania X8
Triple H defeated Chris Jericho (c) (with Stephanie McMahon)

WrestleMania XIX
Triple H (c) (with Ric Flair) defeated Booker T

WrestleMania XX
Chris Benoit defeated Triple H (c) and Shawn Michaels

WrestleMania 21
Batista defeated Triple H (c) (with Ric Flair)

WrestleMania 22
John Cena (c) defeated Triple H

WrestleMania XXIV
Randy Orton (c) defeated John Cena and Triple H

WrestleMania XXV
Triple H (c) defeated Randy Orton

So there you have it, Triple H has only won 6 matches since Wrestlemania XII. He is 6-8 in the biggest event of the year. Now I would not be one to say Triple H is always putting people over, because sometimes I feel he doesn't. But he has put lots of people over and Wrestlemania seems to be a place he has done that. Over the past six Wrestlemanias, he has only won once.

There have been Manias where he has won, and it pissed a lot of people off. Booker T was an example I hear a lot at Wrestlemania XIX. But in the present, the man has put over a lot of people, including losing two matches with John Cena. It led me to believe that Triple H is going to put over Sheamus at Wrestlemania this year, as he did for Cena, Batista, Orton and Benoit.

So the point of this thread is simple. Does Triple H put people over at Wrestlemania. Does Mr. Shovel actually help people out at the biggest event of the year each and every year since his peak in wrestling? I think so.

I agree with you TM, I think Triple H is putting over people at Wrestlemania, even thou there's matches where you'd go "he shouldn't have won that one" like last year.
But looking back at the matches between Batista and him, loosing to him 3 times in a row really put Batista out there.
Same goes for John Cena, loosing to him after tapping out, made Cena look incredibly strong in a very good match.
And lastly, the Wrestlemania 24 match, putting over Randy Orton as a legit champion after beating two of the top main event players.
So I definitely think Triple H puts over people, even if he wins a match here and there, but it would kill his credibility (if you ask me) if he lost every single Wrestlemania.

Hwill only put sheamus over cause him and sheamus are really good friends.. i mean if hunter doesnt like you or if stephanie doesnt like you then good luck look at jeff hardy when he won the wwe title, it wsnt hunter who took the fall they had edge do it, cause hunter wouldnt put jeff over as the champion

I think HHH is going to put Sheamus over especially because I read that he is taking some time off after wrestlemania(but that could be one of WWE fake rumors).Sheamus needs to look good and credible(after fluck against Cena and DQ against Orton) and what better way to do it then now at the grandest stage of them all.

Last year he was bound to win simply because he lost 4 in a row(not counting wrestlemania 23 when he was injured and 2 in triple threat but still) and I knew what is gonna happen but this year it would be perfect thing to do it.

Your theses is good for the wrestlemania but if you look at the fact that when Orton pinned him last year at Backlash it was first time in like year and a half that he allowed to be pinned you would see that he hasnt been to much eager to put up to the others.I guess he thinks that at wrestlemania he would look good even if he loses.

On the other hand we could argue about the people he should put up at mania(namely Booker T and Orton last year) but we cant argue that he really help establish some people (namely Batista and Cena) so answer on you question is:Yes,he really helped people at mania and I think he would do it again this year

While I respect your opinion and I believe you make a good argument, I have to disagree. I'm not sure you understand what it means to "put someone over". For example at WM 24 HHH lost to two well established mega stars in Orton and Cena, so I don't see how that would be considered putting them over. At the time, they were arguably bigger than HHH so I really don't see it. Also, some of these WM loses your stretching a bit. At WM 12 HHH was still a mid card jobber so obviously he wouldn't beat the Warrior. At WM 15 he lost to Kane via DQ, and again, HHH was just beginning to become a big star and losing by DQ is hardly putting someone over. And his lost to Taker was pretty much written in stone before the match even happened because of "the streak".
Now while I do agree that he has put over Cena and Batista at Mania, I don't think those guys really needed that win to solidify themseleves. The guys that needed to beat HHH at mania to elevate there careers at the time lost...I mean Y2J and Booker. Also, I think Orton should have clearly won last year. He was built as a monster unstoppable heel only to be beaten, doesn't make much sense to me. HHH is a very smart guy and on the surface he may appear to be putting someone over, but if you look closely he certainly knows how to "play the game"...

I believe HHH will put Sheamus over. I have read several times that HHH really likes Sheamus, they are good friends, etc. etc. HHH most definitely puts people over...when he believes they are worth putting over.

At Mania's 12-17, it wasn't HHH's job to put anyone over. He lost some because he was a rising star himself. So for him to "put anyone over" at that time would have been stupid. He won some, he lost some, in the context of storylines. When he lost, he was supposed to lose so the storyline could play out. It's not ALWAYS about who deserves what. I think a lot of you get way too caught up in "who deserves this, and who deserves that." The important thing is telling a good story, not who benefits from being put over.

Starting at Mania 18, HHH was big enough to actually put people over. Sometimes he won, sometimes he lost. But it was, once again, always in the best interest of telling a story. It's not all about wins and losses in pro wrestlings, it really isn't. A lot pf people bitched that he won at Mania 25 against Orton. That was how the storyline SHOULD have gone. Orton was a monster heel, who was doing all kinds of terrible things to HHH and his family. In the context of the storyline, HHH NEEDED to win that match. It would have been anti-climactic to have Orton win. It wouldn't have made ANY sense.

Do I WANT to see HHH put over Sheamus? No. I can't stand Sheamus. I think he worthless, to be totally honest. I think he has a shit look and even worse mic skills. When he's on the mic, I feel like turning the channel. He says nothing that interests me, and between his accent and lisp, it's hard to understand him at times. But I think he is even worse in the ring. When has this guy put on a good performance?? He hasn't. Cena, JOHN freakin CENA, looked better than Sheamus in their tables match. Orton carried the guy at the Rumble. I just haven't seen anything impressive out of him.

HHH will more than likely put him over, because I hear he is really high on the guy. But if Sheamus stinks up Mania 26, and doesn't help put on a great match, HHH might regret this someday.

I doubt he will. I think this match will play out very much like Batista vs Umaga did at WM24, where Umaga just rained on Batista pretty much the entire match, and then Batista hit 2 finishers and that was it.

Like nickb03 said, it's all about telling a story, and since Sheamus has been getting the upper hand on HHH throughout this 'fued', if you can call it that, the only logical solution is for the Game to get the victory at WM, so that the face can triumph over the heel that's been fucking with him over the last month.

Now at Backlash, i imagine that they'll have some kind of rematch, and THAT is where Sheamus will probably be put over.

Out of the guys beforehand? Well;

-At WM12 he was still being buried for the MSG incident, so he was never going to win against Warrior.

-WM13 he'd just hooked up with Chyna and they were running with that quite heavily at the time (due to Laurer's freakish appearance), so they had him go over Goldust.

-WM14 Shawn was going to lose, and HHH was to take over as leader of DX the next night, so they had to have him look strong from the get go if anyone was going to take him seriously as leader of DX.

-WM15 Chyna hitting Kane with a chair does not equate to 'putting him over'. Kane had spent the better part of 1998 as possibly the biggest heel in WWF until Ministry Taker came along, and they wanted to tween Kane shortly after so they had neither man 'beat' the other, they instead had HHH cheat to save his skin, and to set up the heel turn that happened later the same night.

-WM16 what the fuck was that about? After 2 months of 'who's facing HHH for the belt?' and Foley returning, that whole rollercoaster ride ended the same way it began, with HHH as the champ. 2000 was a pretty fucked up year tbh, because the first half of it consisted of Rock and HHH passing the belt back and forth between them repeatedly.

-WM17 Already we've had the point of the streak put across. I think Taker won because he missed the previous Mania, and HHH was one of the few ME guys Taker hadn't faced on a stage of that scale. Plus it was Taker's hometown, so there was no way HHH was going to win. Plus the streak wasn't even a factor at that point allegedly.

-WM18 Buried Jericho because HHH was given a free title reign because he heeled quickly. Started a fucking precedent as well, didn't he?

-WM19 Booker put on probably the best match he'd done in the 'E' at that point, and still didn't get the 'W', however HHH did do a lot for Booker by making him look so awesome in the ring that night. Imagaine how popular he'd have been if he'd won?

-WM20 Amazing triple threat, but did HHH put Benoit over or did he simply tap out? I personally thought Benoit was wayyyyyyyy over wayyyyyy before that personally. This just seemed like 3 ME guys having an amazing match, but one of them had never held that particular belt with WWE before.

-WM21 Boring, slow, tedious match, but did very well to cement Batista as a ME guy.

-WM22 No reason for Cena to win, other than Vince wanted Cena to win. HHH didn't put him over, Cena'd been the champ for like ever (with a week long interlude after Edge's MiTB cash in), and was already over. In fact, at that point, people weren't booing him senseless either.

-WM24 I personally don't consider rolling off the pin and letting the other guy win following your finisher, to be the same as 'putting Orton over'. It made it look as though if HHH hadn't hit the Pedigree on Cena the match could have gone in any direction. It didn't make Orton look more credible than he was before that match, it just gave the impression HHH didn't want to be pinned.

-WM25, like nickb03 said, logical conclusion to the fued. Good guy forced to watch family get beaten up, goes to heel's house and gets arrested after tearing up the place, the next week his wife is attacked again and the heel kisses her while the face is handcuffed just outside of arm's reach from her. Face kills heel at the PPV. As much as it sucked, and by that point in the night nobody cared anymore, it was still the logical conclusion. Send the fans home with a happy ending, even if the ending didn't actually make them happy.

And since this Sheamus/HHH fued is panning out very similarly to Orton/HHH, then i'd say expect HHH to get the 'W'.

Interesting question indeed.

WM 20 gives me a strange feeling because it should have been HHH vs. Benoit one-on-one. HHH did put Benoit over in that match but did Shawn Michaels to a lesser extent? Both guys put Benoit over a lot but HHH gets most of the credit because he was the champion but HBK had a little part to do with it much to my chagrin.

When Batista won at WM 21, I didn't really see it as HHH putting him over. When HHH lost to him at Backlash and Vengeance, that's when HHH put him over. Batista was the hottest thing going at the moment along with Cena and HHH knew what he had to do and he did it. Also, he could have easily won the title in a month or two but he let Batista be the dominant champion and it worked.

Cena was over as a champion much of 2005 but I believed he needed to beat that one person to solidify himself. HBK was feuding with McMahon so it had to be HHH. He did a good job putting Cena over in that match and tapped out for the second time in three years which is amazing to me. Cena has never looked back after that.

For all the crap that HHH gets, he has put people over. Now some might say he doesn't do that all-year but he doesn't need to. Wrestlemania is the biggest show of the year and no what better way to further your career is to be put over by one of the greatest wrestlers of our generation. HHH does what he is supposed to do and does it great and that is all we can ask.

Triple H usually only puts someone over when he thinks that it's the best move as far as the business is concerned because he knows how bad of a move it is for someone to get a win when the fans don't care enough about them. When he puts someone over at Wrestlemania, it's a great victory for the guy who wins since he got a win in a situation where most wouldn't. A lot of people seem to think he only puts his friends over. That's not exactly the case. He does put people over at Wrestlemania, the facts are there in the original post. Trips has put over Ultimate Warrior, Undertaker, Benoit, Batista, John Cena, Randy Orton, and it might happen again this year with Sheamus (although I think Trips will win that match) so no one can really argue that he doesn't. Triple H puts people over at Wrestlemania because he knows he can't always win. If he didn't put anyone over then he would be the one with the undefeated streak instead of Taker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back