Would the WWE benefit from a smaller Hall of Fame Class?

Ziirox

Pre-Show Stalwart
I'm one who really enjoys the Hall of Fame announcements and ceremony each year. The excitement built each year from potential deserving candidates in the history of professional wrestling and the WWE is one that truly adds a lot to Wrestlemania season. The speculation of who will be added in the upcoming year's ceremony seems like it goes on for a calendar year. It's truly become an event that could be independent of Wrestlemania season if WWE ever wanted to hold it another time. Each year, roughly 6-10, people are inducted. Over time, WWE is going to start running out of legitimate inductees. There are so many people that WWE can still induct, so having these large classes of inductees is perfectly justifiable in this present time. However, like other sports, not every above average performer is worthy of being in the Hall of Fame. There comes a time when you have to draw a clear line between a Legend worthy of being cemented in a Hall of Fame and someone who might be very good, but doesn't necessarily warrant induction.

So, here are some thoughts to consider if you reply to this post:

1. When should (if ever) the WWE move to a stricter format for considering inductees?

2. Should there be a minimum time period that a person has to be retired for before they are considered?

3. Should their be a set list of criteria for potential inductees?

4. Lastly, should fans/The WWE Universe be a part of the selection process?

I've been saying this for ages now.

1. Now... should be 2-3 max. I don't know if I can think of a dozen people who've had "Hall of fame" careers that are currently wrestling, they're quickly running out of people.
2. No I don't think so, maybe they could leave it a bit longer (Edge for example)
3. No, I don't think so, especially in this era when championship reigns don't really count for much
4. No, only because votes like that will either be biased to who WWE already wants to put in, or open to corruption where you'll get people like JTG and Yoshi Tatsu in it.

1-3 I will say leave as is.

Take #2 out of the equation but to answer that quickly I'd say a baseball-like 5 years retired time frame. UNLESS they are an immediate 1st ballot guy (Shawn Michaels) or ACTIVE NODS (Undertaker-only IMO)

Numbers 1 & 2 are a wash because of the dreaded Koko B. Ware Rule. He never won a title in WWF/E. His run with the company wasn't very long, 7 years in the lower to middle Intercontinental division and 1 year as a jobber. YET he is considered a Hall of Famer. Because of that nomination, to start adding stricter criteria would further insult those deserving the spot.

As for number 4, I'd say let the Universe write-in vote to build a list, let's say 10. Use the Network to build a show for Countdown, and let them vote for 1 inductee. One only after 2 rounds of voting.

WWE can also use the lists generated to see where fans are leaning when it comes to those deserving nods.

THE ONLY DOWNSIDE: Benoit and Owen Hart would lead these lists until a statement is made by WWE for legal reasons or somewhat.

I think the inductees should be no more than 5 characters/people/teams/matches/etc.

My 5 for 2014:
Ultimate Warrior (WWE did it and congrats)
Jake Roberts (I think this is the healthiest he'll ever be, take the opportunity)
King Kong Bundy (Wonder why he hasn't been called yet...)
U.S. Express- Mike Rotunda/Barry Windham (a nod to WM 1, but weird if Windham is in twice as a partner instead of individual...)
and Jim Johnston- music producer/theme writer (I think 50% of Warriors fame came from the entrance music and with all the themes this dude has done-Austin/HBK/Kane/Bret/Angle (Patriot) etc....he deserves a nod and publicly.

I don’t think there needs to be strict guidelines or any qualifying conditions for the WWE Hall of Fame. There are some people in the HOF that I wouldn’t have put in there but what’s the harm in letting a guy like Koko B. Ware get on stage and talk about his career? I do, however, think WWE would benefit from a slightly smaller class. Not for prestige of anything like that. I love the HOF ceremony but it is too long. The ceremony is usually over three hours. In 2009 they put a five minute clock on most of the inductees which I found to be pretty disrespectful. So the solution to shortening the ceremony but allowing the inductees to have as much time as they like is to have a smaller class. This also allows stronger classes for the future.

I think 5 is sufficient, the probelm being, they will be having inductions complete soon with all inductees being inducted posthumously. Randy Savage, Davey Boy Smith, Owen Hart, Elizabeth,Big Bossman, Rick Rude are 6 that spring to mind, and they cannot really induct more than 2 in one year, fans want the actual superstar there in person to regale them with stories from their career. So my only real guideline is if they have to induct a postumously one a year, that would be fine, and NO CURRENT ACTIVE wrestlers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back