Winning and losing in sports films

Dowdsy McDowds

Sally was here
Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs
I was watching White Men Can't Jump the other night for the first time in years and this quote stuck with me. It's one of those pieces of dialogue that pretty much encapsulates the story for the main character(s); Harrelson plays the role of the underdog basketball hustler incredibly well. Upon his first meeting with Snipes' 'Sidney' he refers to his appearance and demeanours as being 'chumpish' and 'geeky' which makes others underestimate him. Pretty smart no?
At the same time, when it comes to matters with his partner Gloria, he is at times slow and seemingly uneducated.
The end of the film sees Billy (Harrelson's character) and Sidney finally lay claim to being the kings of the street courts having defeated the pair who had been mentioned previously in essentially mythical tones.

So, this got me thinking of other sports films where the main character/team loses or wins at the end, but can be seen to gain or lose in their personal lives.
The Hustler with Paul Newman fits the winning but losing profile although his loss comes before his final victory.
Friday Night Lights fits the losing but winning profile as the young men of the team face difficult personal situations on and off the field, until moving on to the next stage of their lives.
I guess the most famous example of losing but winning would be Rocky, where Rocky Balboa gets absolutely pummeled but shows resilience and goes the distance with Apollo.

To get a connection with the audience in any film, we need to care for the characters involved. We need to think of the actors as the characters and imagine what this challenge means to them and what the repercussions of winning/losing are going to be.
With all this in mind, it made me think of a couple of questions for you guys and gals to consider.

How (un)important the final result is of the climactic match compared to what kind of state the lead character(s) is in when they get there.

Are there any films that may have benefitted from having the template reversed and how would that have affected the final film? For example, if Rourke in the Wrestler had lost his final match but won his family back. Would The Replacements have been a better film if the team had lost but the characters gained contracts with other teams?

(Note: you don't need to address all of the films I've mentioned, they're largely just examples to illustrate a point. Thanks also to Mitch for his help with this thread)

How (un)important the final result is of the climactic match compared to what kind of state the lead character(s) is in when they get there.

In Rocky III, Balboa wasn't the same hungry and determined fighter, who had something to prove. He didn't have that burning passion anymore. He fell into a comfort zone, he was famous, and he was lost in his rich and luxurious lifestyle. Mick tried to push him, but Rocky still didn't budge. The light bulb didn't pop on automatically, but the ass whipping he took from Clubber Lang changed everything. Rocky lost his World Title, Mick passed away, and he wasn't on top of the world anymore. Adrian forced Rocky to admit his fears, and he FINALLY regained his confidence, when the training sessions with Apollo Creed resumed. Eventually, Rocky defeated Lang in the rematch, and he regained his World Title. He was the man again.

Rocky winning the World Title again did provide the feel-good moment of the film, but if Rocky lost the fight, you could still appreciate the internal struggle he endured here. Rocky went through a tough and emotional journey to find himself again. He had to deal with the death of his friend, trainer, and mentor and he had to conquer his fears (Clubber Lang). Rocky was defiant and bold during the rematch with Lang. He dared Lang to deliver more powerful punches. Rocky wasn't afraid anymore. He absorbed all of Lang's brutal punishment, but the viscous beating didn't phase him, and in the end, Rocky was able to face his fears.

Remember The Titans did feature a heartwarming moment, when the Titans won the championship, but there was so much more to this film than winning and losing. Racial tensions, stubbornness, and foolish pride caused a lot of trouble throughout this film. Racism and loyalty split the team in half, and Denzel Washington's character wasn't welcomed with open arms, as the new coach. But as the film progressed, most of the characters were able to change their views on racism. They let go of their hateful feelings. Bertier was paralyzed in a car accident, but this tragic moment was able to provide inspiration, and eventually the Titans were able to come together as a team.

The win towards the end of this film did feel joyous, but if the Titans lost, you could still appreciate the struggles and hardships the characters had to overcome. They realized the stupidity of their mistakes and judgements, and you could really see the changes in most of the characters towards the end of this one.

Are there any films that may have benefitted from having the template reversed and how would that have affected the final film?

I don't think a losing result would hurt the overall quality of a sports film, that features a winning ending. Sure, you might miss out on the feel-good ending, and some people might be let down by the final moments. But you can always appreciate and admire the inspirational and motivational journeys of the characters in sports films. You can root for underdogs like Rocky and Rudy, and regardless of the outcome, their struggles towards success can still provide plenty of admirable moments.

I watched the film Warriors with Tom Hardy about the 2 brothers who are Ultimate Fighters and both were underdogs who needed to win, and dont want to spoil the ending for anyone but you end up thinking they're both winners, hope they do a sequel just so we get to see Kurt Angle play a russian again

My favorite sport movies are The Sandlot and Little Giants

i don't like football but I love the movie Little Giants its a classic

same goes to The Sandlot we all can quote that movie and for any of us who has seen this movie it holds a special place in your heart

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back