Why John Cena Shouldn't Go Heel

Uh, Rock and Austin didn't get booed because they were allowed to do things that Cena is not allowed to do. Don't see how that's a strike against Cena. That era spoiled the fans and now some of them are not going to cheer a babyface who actually does the right thing, which is completely ridiculous. And let's not forget that Austin and Rock were on top for shorter amounts of time than Cena has been, and that WWE would have continued pushing them had they not left for reasons out of WWE's control. Also, "Cena gets booed by everyone except women, kids, and Cena marks" is your argument? So in other words, Cena gets booed by people who don't like Cena. No shit, sherlock. That doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of women, kids, and "marks" who still enjoy what he does. I'm not sure if I'm forgetting something, but I must have missed this memo that all of you seem to have gotten that Cena marks are inferior as fans and people to the Cena haters.
Austin and Rock were on top for shorter amounts of time? Yeah man well done you're adding to my point. A reason Cena is hated so much is because he has been on top for so long without ever changing much. Rock and Austin also both did the heel turn and weren't as forced down our throats as Cena and lately Orton has been. I'm not saying that is Cena's fault but come on why are you so against him doing something completely new and fresh that will make interesting tv? I really don't get it man there are plenty more reasons to turn him heel than keep him as the same face he's been for 7 + years.

No, Cena shouldn't turn heel but kids would find new idols, honestly when I was a kid I mostly cheered the bad guys but my favourite superstar would change WWE could easily make a new never give up character. All I'm saying is kids change and if you asked those kids on the DVD some of them might say Cm Punk or Randy Orton. Maybe even someone like Kofi. There's plenty of people out their for them to cheer WWE just has to make them.

The sad thing is that half the internet marks who want Cena to be heel so badly will laugh at the looks of dismay on the kids' faces if/when it happens. Which is actually really fucked up when you think about it.

While there are enough reasons that suggest that Cena should not be turning heel just immediately, there is nothing to suggest that Cena would never turn heel. Very few wrestlers have managed to stay as faces for the entire duration of their career. Sting, as far as I know, has been the only main eventer to have done so but it is not as if bookers have never experimented with the idea of a heel turn for him. Cena is still very hot these days but he will obviously not remain the same way forever.

And when Cena does turn heel, WWE would be banking on that sort of reaction from the kids. They would also enjoy it. Does that make them sadistic fucked up people? Nope, that makes them smart businessmen. The internet marks, as you call them despite being a huge one yourself, would be more pleased at something that they have wanted to see happen for so long finally take place. I guess they would be chanting Cena sucks louder than ever rather than laughing on kids. No one likes to look like a douche, not even internet marks but I guess you would not even give them that much credit.

The only reason Cena is not turning heel is because he is still drawing very well as a face. When he stops doing that because of someone else stepping up, he will turn. Him being a hero to the kids would not figure into the equation except for using it as fuel to add fire to his new heel character.

WWE was acceptable in the mainstream in the Attitude Era. It's not "cool" to wear WWE shirts in public anymore, so self conscious teenagers and adults aren't going to do it like they did back then. You also just completely ignored my point about the parents not really giving a shit and buying the shit to please their kids. Of course six year olds don't buy t-shirts and whatever themselves, that doesn't mean that their parents give two shits about who's pushed and who's not. In fact, they probably root for the same people that their kids do, because they like seeing their kids smile. Now there's a novel fucking concept.

I love the ignorance here, I like most people on here started watching wrestling with my dad as a child. So yes the adults give a shit about wrestling, I also know adults buy stuff for there kids, I have children and let me tell you I'll buy WWE for them before me....but my kids do not like Cena my 5 year old loves the Miz, CM Punk, and Sin Cara. I have bought him WWE merch none with Cena on it. Now obviously there are parents buying Cena merch for there kids because they want it and what not, but to say parents don't give a shit about wrestling is the dumbest thing ever. Parents will just buy shit for there kids before buying something for them selves.

I never said that people who haven't watched wrestling all their lives would stop caring. That's not even close to what I was saying. But if kids get into wrestling without their parents having ever watched it, they probably wouldn't care, and would just buy their kids what they want. You admitted yourself that you buy wrestling merchandise for your kids more than you do for yourself. I bet that if your kids were Cena fans, you would buy them Cena stuff; it's an exception rather than a rule that they're not.

I never said that people who haven't watched wrestling all their lives would stop caring. That's not even close to what I was saying. But if kids get into wrestling without their parents having ever watched it, they probably wouldn't care, and would just buy their kids what they want. You admitted yourself that you buy wrestling merchandise for your kids more than you do for yourself. I bet that if your kids were Cena fans, you would buy them Cena stuff; it's an exception rather than a rule that they're not.

While the parents may not care about wrestling, I'm sure they do care about what kind of content their kids view. So to some extent, I have to disagree with you're logic. In most cases, kids watch wrestling b/c their dad or some relative got them interested in it. That's the whole reason I watch. My dad was a lifelong fan, and my love for wrestling is where that came from. To dismiss the parents of the children is overlooking the obvious. I'm sure the parents wouldn't take the kids to the shows if they weren't at least moderately interested in the product. At the very least willing to put up with it. Either way, parents IMO make up a large part of the WWE Universe. I bet you'd be surprized just how many parents were fans of the shows. So, it's not as if they don't matter or count when it comes down to it.

He ain't turning heel guys.. he was on some radio show today and said he didn't want to go bad because those make-a-wish kiddies who wear his fruity pebble merchandise "make his day"

Apparently he's above every wrestler and can't turn Heel. Gimme a break.
Joy, we put up with his stale ass for another half a decade, he'll be a 20 time champ.

He ain't turning heel guys.. he was on some radio show today and said he didn't want to go bad because those make-a-wish kiddies who wear his fruity pebble merchandise "make his day"

Apparently he's above every wrestler and can't turn Heel. Gimme a break.
Joy, we put up with his stale ass for another half a decade, he'll be a 20 time champ.

While it's admirable that he wants to do the make-a-wish stuff, it's a lame reason to not turn Cena heel. He's proved over the past 7 years that he's consistent and one of the most positive influences in that area. So, to use that as an excuse to avoid doing what alot of fans wanna see is a ridiculous notion. It's not as if him taking a breather from the make-a-wish foundation and turning heel would bankrupt WWE. I think he fails to realize that turning will invigorate his career and gain him more fans. Delaying the inevitable is only pissing all fans over the age of 18 off.

Look at it like this, anyone else getting Cena's kind of reaction from the crowd would've been turned long ago. To suggest he's above that tradition is my whole problem with him refusing to do it.

While it's admirable that he wants to do the make-a-wish stuff, it's a lame reason to not turn Cena heel. He's proved over the past 7 years that he's consistent and one of the most positive influences in that area. So, to use that as an excuse to avoid doing what alot of fans wanna see is a ridiculous notion. It's not as if him taking a breather from the make-a-wish foundation and turning heel would bankrupt WWE. I think he fails to realize that turning will invigorate his career and gain him more fans. Delaying the inevitable is only pissing all fans over the age of 18 off.

Look at it like this, anyone else getting Cena's kind of reaction from the crowd would've been turned long ago. To suggest he's above that tradition is my whole problem with him refusing to do it.

And he can still do make-a-wish, it's not like Heels can't do it.
The Miz does a lot of charity too and he's a Heel.
Cena just doesn't want to go Heel and it annoys me :banghead:.. it would benefit him in the long-term. Every wrestler has done it, it's necessary to refresh characters.

I'm sure if Cena were in demand at the make-a-wish foundation, WWE wouldn't refuse to let Cena go(heel or not). So again, it's a very lame and ridiculous excuse not to turn him. Cena is apparently as against turning as WWE forcing Super Cena on us. Which strikes me as a disservice to WWE and for the fans as well. Any popular wrestler can do as much charity work as they want to, heel or face.

He's taken shots at the fans for wanting him to turn, so it's apparent he won't be turning if he has a voice in the issue. A blasphemus idea if you ask me, since WWE would be turning any other superstar receiving that kind of reaction. Really a way of crapping all over the tradition and history of wrestling IMO. It's not as though Cena turning would be the end of his career. But he does avoid it like the plague.

So he has to stay face forever because of charity organizations. Are you guys kidding me, its a freakin show, what kid who hasn't watched pro wrestling for more than a month dosen't know its fake. His character should have no bearing on there person he is outside the ring, it should be two different worlds. Kane is supposed to be some big freak monster and he's out and about promoting his political views and giving interviews, so whats the difference ?

This is exactly why the WWE is in the shape it is in, because it dosent reflect what real fans feel. Vince is so set on forcing us to accept his programming when he should be shaping the show around what we want. If you see your ratings declining Vince and your main star is Cena, put the math together. Things have got to change. The guy has been doing the same routine for nearly EIGHT YEARS. The last time he was a heel was in 2003 !

Imagine how ground breaking it would be to Cena snap just like Hogan in 96 after all those years as a face. Wasnt Batista the other major face of WWE for several years, but during his last few months they TOOK A CHANCE, and let the dull animal Batista turn heel, and it worked. Batista was actually a damn good heel. We know Cena can be one. WWE ratings are so mediocre right now, any major change, especially this kind would instantaneously boost them much higher. You are telling me less people would watch if WWE changed a character that has been the same for years, especially the biggest of them all. Come on, open up the playbook WWE, you guys limit your own success by playing out the same formulas over and over again. There are all these restrictions now that fix the show into a small box, and all the talent are being fed this overtly scripted nonsense that dosen't allow for character grow.

Just because Cena goes heel for a while dosent mean he cant go back, duh right. Isnt that wrestling is all about. You got to change you ways sometimes. Its just unbelievable to me that people can sit here and keep towing the WWE line, just accepting that we have to accept what they give us. I think Cena is good talent, but never should a talent who booed as immensly as he was, have been shoved down the throats of fans until he was accepted. Thats not how it works, you didnt build an empire by ignoring and blowing off your fanbase. Its just an insult and what makes it even more emberassing is that instead of putting effort into making the show better for the long run, Vince is perfectly okay with putting out a mediocre product as long as Cena is helping them sell merchandise.

So he has to stay face forever because of charity organizations. Are you guys kidding me, its a freakin show, what kid who hasn't watched pro wrestling for more than a month dosen't know its fake. His character should have no bearing on there person he is outside the ring, it should be two different worlds. Kane is supposed to be some big freak monster and he's out and about promoting his political views and giving interviews, so whats the difference ?

This is exactly why the WWE is in the shape it is in, because it dosent reflect what real fans feel. Vince is so set on forcing us to accept his programming when he should be shaping the show around what we want. If you see your ratings declining Vince and your main star is Cena, put the math together. Things have got to change. The guy has been doing the same routine for nearly EIGHT YEARS. The last time he was a heel was in 2003 !

Imagine how ground breaking it would be to Cena snap just like Hogan in 96 after all those years as a face. Wasnt Batista the other major face of WWE for several years, but during his last few months they TOOK A CHANCE, and let the dull animal Batista turn heel, and it worked. Batista was actually a damn good heel. We know Cena can be one. WWE ratings are so mediocre right now, any major change, especially this kind would instantaneously boost them much higher. You are telling me less people would watch if WWE changed a character that has been the same for years, especially the biggest of them all. Come on, open up the playbook WWE, you guys limit your own success by playing out the same formulas over and over again. There are all these restrictions now that fix the show into a small box, and all the talent are being fed this overtly scripted nonsense that dosen't allow for character grow.

Just because Cena goes heel for a while dosent mean he cant go back, duh right. Isnt that wrestling is all about. You got to change you ways sometimes. Its just unbelievable to me that people can sit here and keep towing the WWE line, just accepting that we have to accept what they give us. I think Cena is good talent, but never should a talent who booed as immensly as he was, have been shoved down the throats of fans until he was accepted. Thats not how it works, you didnt build an empire by ignoring and blowing off your fanbase. Its just an insult and what makes it even more emberassing is that instead of putting effort into making the show better for the long run, Vince is perfectly okay with putting out a mediocre product as long as Cena is helping them sell merchandise.

That is precisely why WWE sucks right now. They don't listen to the fans anymore and think they know what's best for us fans. Cena is the perfect example of the biggest problem WWE has currently. You have millions of fans wanting to see Cena turn heel, yet both he and the WWE shrug it off and ignore it as though it's not an issue. And when they aren't outright ignoring us fans, Cena is taking shots at the fans who want to see him turn. I believe yesterday on the main rumor page, there's a video of Cena promoting RAW, in which he actually is blowing off the fans wanting a heel turn. With that said, I'm somewhat a Cena fan, but in no way, shape, or form should a talent be allowed to openly mock the popular demand of the fans. That strikes me as arrogant and not a very smart business move at all. Especially since doing a turn would help his character and in all likelyhood gain some of his former fans back.

He can say it isn't in his personality to be "mean", as he said in that video, but that still doesn't change the facts. The fact is by not doing it, you ignore the ppl who pay your salary. The fact is, you don't have to be a mean, nasty guy to turn heel. Case and point, look at The Rock. He's probably the most caring, genuine guy outside of the ring. Yet, when he's heel, you'd never know it. That's b/c he can seperate The Rock as a character from Dwayne Johnson the man. John Cena on the other hand seems to have tried so hard to incorporate so much of himself into his character that he can't seperate him from the character he plays. It's never a smart move to be so wrapped up in a character that you can't do what's right from a business standpoint.

In Cena's case, it seems as though he and WWE will justify him not turning with any transparent, lame excuse. And that is a real shame, since turning would give Cena's character a second wind IMO. Otherwise, he'll wind up being stale and predictable, much like Hogan was a generation ago. You need to look no further than Batista for an accurate comparison of what Cena could accomplish as a heel. Both guys have been in wrestling for the same amount of time, are similar in size and wrestling ability, and were pushed at the same time. When you compare the two, Batista has way more depth hands down. That should tell you all you need to know about Cena not turning. Batista's last heel run was original and groundbreaking for his character, while Cena is stuck in the same mold. I believe that speaks volumes about this whole topic in general.

So he has to stay face forever because of charity organizations. Are you guys kidding me, its a freakin show, what kid who hasn't watched pro wrestling for more than a month dosen't know its fake.
A lot of them, actually. You think seven year olds know it's fake? It's not like they read internet sites and shit, they're too busy in first grade and watching Nickelodeon all afternoon.
His character should have no bearing on there person he is outside the ring, it should be two different worlds. Kane is supposed to be some big freak monster and he's out and about promoting his political views and giving interviews, so whats the difference ?
Not a lot of people know about Kane's political shit. Again, people on the internet do, but that's not everybody. It's certainly not kids, and kids who don't know the show is fake or, at the very least, treat it like it's real are not going to request Cena for a session if he turns into an on-screen asshole.
This is exactly why the WWE is in the shape it is in, because it dosent reflect what real fans feel.
Define "real fans," please. Oh wait, you can't, because everyone who watches WWE is a real fan. Since, you know, they are living, breathing humans who choose to enjoy and follow the product.

I can predict your response already: BUT IM A MAN BEEN WATCHIN RASSLIN FOR BOUT 44 YEARS WOMANZ N KIDZ SHOULDNT BE WATCHIN
Vince is so set on forcing us to accept his programming when he should be shaping the show around what we want. If you see your ratings declining Vince and your main star is Cena, put the math together. Things have got to change. The guy has been doing the same routine for nearly EIGHT YEARS. The last time he was a heel was in 2003 !
Show me some conclusive evidence that Cena is responsible for whatever ratings decline you're talking about, and I might give this point the time of day.
Wade Barrett has said in interviews that Cena ad libs a lot. His stuff is not overly scripted. I agree that some people's stuff is, but that's a company wide problem and not a Cena problem. As far as Dave goes, he was never the true face of the company like Cena was and is. He was a huge star, sure, but never THE star. So they could afford to turn him, because they also had other big stars that they could rely on.

A lot of them, actually. You think seven year olds know it's fake? It's not like they read internet sites and shit, they're too busy in first grade and watching Nickelodeon all afternoon.

Just b/c kids don't know it's fake doesn't excuse Cena and the WWE over ignoring what most fans want. Again, it's not as though kids won't find another face to latch on to as a hero once Cena turns. I guess we'll never know for sure if he never turns again.

Not a lot of people know about Kane's political shit. Again, people on the internet do, but that's not everybody. It's certainly not kids, and kids who don't know the show is fake or, at the very least, treat it like it's real are not going to request Cena for a session if he turns into an on-screen asshole.

I see no direct correlation between Kane and Cena here. The issue for Cena is avoiding turning heel like the plague. Kane has no problem in that department. And using the whole make-a-wish excuse is lame and outdated. I believe you totally ignored Scuba's example that The Miz does the make-a-wish, and he's probably the most hated guy in WWE. Ironic and coincidental don't you think? You seem to dismiss any other logic than your own since you are heavily biased as a Cena mark.

And before you say I'm a Cena hater, I have admitted several times in this thread that I am a Cena fan. I think he has had a few better matches this year and has improved somewhat. But, to ignore him becoming stale is turning a blind eye to the obvious. He's been face for 7 years and in wrestling today, 7 years is an eternity with no long term booking. Maybe back in Hogan's day it was acceptable, since booking lasted for a year or longer. Fans today are smarter and don't like a squeaky clean guy who sends out a wholesome message. Your average fan roots for shades of gray. Hell, even kids like heels, even though you seem to believe kids only like good guys. Kids are smarter today as well, meaning even most kids can reconize Cena is lame. They don't need to visit internet wrestling sites to know that.

Define "real fans," please. Oh wait, you can't, because everyone who watches WWE is a real fan. Since, you know, they are living, breathing humans who choose to enjoy and follow the product.

By "real fans", Scuba was referring to anyone other than women or kids. Most here seem to accept that fact, but you seem to be in denial. I can't understand why, as any logical person can see the obvious. The fact is, ratings have dropped enourmously since the Attitude era on a consistent manner. Whether you can see it or not, alot of ppl here can see WWE is ignoring their fans. And the Cena issue is a primary example of that. Any other superstar getting his reaction would've been turned by now. Are we to believe Cena is special or deserves an exception? Cause I sure don't...

I can predict your response already: BUT IM A MAN BEEN WATCHIN RASSLIN FOR BOUT 44 YEARS WOMANZ N KIDZ SHOULDNT BE WATCHIN

Wow, you seem to really believe the propaganda you are spreading. While I can respect your opinion, you shouldn't dismiss other's thoughts out of hand. It's clear we won't see eye to eye here, since your bias towards Cena means you'll never concede otherwise. I'm not trying to change your mind here, only pointing out how flawed your views seem to be.

Show me some conclusive evidence that Cena is responsible for whatever ratings decline you're talking about, and I might give this point the time of day.

Cena isn't entirely responsible for the ratings decline. No one person should receive that kind of blame. However, not listening to their fanbase IS why the ratings suck now IMO. And Cena NOT TURNING HEEL is a prime example of WWE ignoring what fans have been saying for 5 years. If fans having "we'll riot if Cena wins" and him receiving a mixed reaction on a consistent basis isn't "conclusive evidence", then you are delusional.

Just b/c kids don't know it's fake doesn't excuse Cena and the WWE over ignoring what most fans want. Again, it's not as though kids won't find another face to latch on to as a hero once Cena turns. I guess we'll never know for sure if he never turns again.
For the millionth time, none of you have any conclusive evidence that it's what "most fans want" beyond what you read on the internet and your selective hearing. Acting like Cena's easily replaceable is also pretty ridiculous, considering how he's the most requested athlete ever in Make a Wish; no one else will be able to accomplish feats like that. For the record, that was barely even part of my argument, but I'm addressing the ludicrous ideas that he will retain his Make a Wish success or that someone will duplicate what he's done if he were to turn.
I see no direct correlation between Kane and Cena here. The issue for Cena is avoiding turning heel like the plague. Kane has no problem in that department. And using the whole make-a-wish excuse is lame and outdated. I believe you totally ignored Scuba's example that The Miz does the make-a-wish, and he's probably the most hated guy in WWE. Ironic and coincidental don't you think? You seem to dismiss any other logic than your own since you are heavily biased as a Cena mark.
You didn't even look at the point I was addressing. I was talking about whether or not kids know the difference between reality and wrestling, which they most likely don't. Do you honestly think you can compare turning Kane of all people to turning Cena? A guy who's been a jobber to the stars for years and only continues to somewhat be around because he's a veteran who can still get a pop? You're gonna compare that to the face of the company? What a joke.

I saw Miz mentioned nowhere in that post.
And before you say I'm a Cena hater, I have admitted several times in this thread that I am a Cena fan. I think he has had a few better matches this year and has improved somewhat. But, to ignore him becoming stale is turning a blind eye to the obvious. He's been face for 7 years and in wrestling today, 7 years is an eternity with no long term booking. Maybe back in Hogan's day it was acceptable, since booking lasted for a year or longer. Fans today are smarter and don't like a squeaky clean guy who sends out a wholesome message. Your average fan roots for shades of gray. Hell, even kids like heels, even though you seem to believe kids only like good guys. Kids are smarter today as well, meaning even most kids can reconize Cena is lame. They don't need to visit internet wrestling sites to know that.
Go look at the audience of any WWE event and tell me that those kids in bright red or purple or orange Cena shirts think Cena is lame. Go on. Your whole argument is based on assumptions that can be easily disproven by simply observing the audience with an objective perspective. Now, you're going to call be biased for the 20th time and I'll admit that I'm biased as a FAN, but as someone who observes the way the audience reacts, I call it like I see it. I see some Cena haters mixed in with a sea of Cena fans, and WWE shouldn't change for what is nowhere near the huge majority that you seem to think it is.
By "real fans", Scuba was referring to anyone other than women or kids. Most here seem to accept that fact, but you seem to be in denial. I can't understand why, as any logical person can see the obvious.
Now this right here is rich. Do you realize how discriminatory and prejudiced you guys sound saying that men are superior fans to women and children? Am I the only one who sees it that way? Newsflash, buddy. Anybody who watches WWE on a weekly basis and enjoys it is a "real fan." You don't have to have been watching wrestling for a million years to be a real fan. These ridiculous elitist attitudes are the type of shit I really can't stand from internet fans, because thinking you're better than an entire group of people just makes you flat out selfish.
The fact is, ratings have dropped enourmously since the Attitude era on a consistent manner. Whether you can see it or not, alot of ppl here can see WWE is ignoring their fans. And the Cena issue is a primary example of that. Any other superstar getting his reaction would've been turned by now. Are we to believe Cena is special or deserves an exception? Cause I sure don't...
How about we blame the ratings decline on the fact that Rock and Austin left, and that their fans just didn't have the patience to wait for new stars to be built? But the rose tinted Attitude Era glasses can't recognize the fact that it was a fad, and that a lot of the fans who followed it then only did so because it was the "cool thing to do." They were always going to leave.
Wow, you seem to really believe the propaganda you are spreading. While I can respect your opinion, you shouldn't dismiss other's thoughts out of hand. It's clear we won't see eye to eye here, since your bias towards Cena means you'll never concede otherwise. I'm not trying to change your mind here, only pointing out how flawed your views seem to be.
And I'm doing the same. I'm not stupid enough to think I'm going to change anyone's mind on this. But this whole shit where men's opinions matter more than women's and "most people" want Cena to turn heel is just nonsense spewed by bitter marks who can't stand having a squeaky clean babyface. Look, I can understand being sick of Cena, but when you start over exaggerating the percentage of people who are, coupled with acting like you're better than someone else, I'm going to argue that.

I'm not even gonna repeat myself here. It's apparent you only see Cena through rose colored glasses, meaning any logic or "conclusive evidence" I give you is ignored. Easy to dismiss examples of why Cena turning heel would succeed. Scuba gave you The Miz as an example of a heel doing the make-a-wish stuff, and he's the most hated heel in WWE. Convient that you claimed NOT to see it, so apparently you saw what you wanted to see. If that is Cena's main argument for not turning heel, it's a transparent and lame way of ignoring the reactions he receives. The whole issue fans like myself take with Cena is he could be better if he turned and it would add more depth to his character. Hell, I'll bet most haters would be fans of his if he were to turn heel.

As for the women and kids not being "real fans", show me one place where I said they didn't matter. What I did say was that adults and teens are as important a voice in the WWE Universe as any other demographic. And that is the precise reason Cena receives a mixed reaction currently. For every women or kid cheering him, you have adults and teens booing him. Again, the issue comes down to WWE upholding tradition and history. Any other wrestler getting reactions like him would've been turned 5 years ago when the hate started. Why should Cena be given special treatment or allowed slack? B/c he's being himself? That is a lame and illogical argument.

And I never exaggerated percentages of ppl who hate Cena. Throughout, I have said he receives mixed reactions. How is that NOT ACCURATE? That's about as objective as it gets. Show me one statement I made where I said "women and kids voice doesn't matter". You won't cause I never said that, and you are adding words in my mouth to make your point. While I am a fan of Cena's, to ignore his character being stale and ignoring half your audience, if not more in some cases, is censorship. When fans make signs that say "If Cena wins, we'll riot" and consistently getting mixed reactions, then that is all the proof WWE should need.

Dude, kids are not as stupid as you think they are. They know its not real because you don't see a bunch of wrestling-related deaths or accidents on the news, consisting of kids hitting each other with folding chairs or performing moves on each other. Frankly, I don't know why on earth a kid under the age of ten should be watching a show that promotes violence, regardless if it is promoted as PG or not. Vince knows as a business man how he became successful, it was by taking risks. You think he didn't consider the consequences of putting a beer-drinking, middle-finger gesturing character on TV back in the 90s back when it was even more risque than now. He event went beyond that with DX and all the sex-filled storylines of that era. Then he even allowed women in his company to work with a company like Playboy and pose nude, that was only a couple years ago. All this while it has been a publicly-traded company on the stock market, not some indy wrestling show in a back venue somewhere. Oh yeah and it was a lot more successful back then because of that type of format.

All we are asking for here is for Cena's character to go through a major overhaul. It probably wouldn't need to happen if the show didn't revolve for the most part around him for the last 6-7 years. Name me one star other than Taker, who is barely in the title scene or on TV lately, show hasn't changed their character in some way, such as heel to face in last decade. ANYONE other cena, who would have been booed that much in the 2006-2007 period, would have either been de-pushed or turned heel. Vince forced him down the fans throat until he was accepted as a major star, that is an insult to the fans to go against their will. You are delusional if you think most fans dont want some kind of change. If WWE did ten polls throughout the week if 'cena should turn heel' the answer {yes} would come out in a landslide and you know it.

The show cant growth and will be stagnant for years to come if it says on this course of only appealing to a single demographic. Ever year it ratings and buyrates are declining. Do the kids bring a profit, yes. But guess what other fans are leaving and you know which fans will always be there no matter what, the kids. So why dont they worry about bringing back other fans who are disenfranchised with the show, because regardless if Cena is heel or not the kids will watch. I like Cena, who is a better performer than he is given credit for, but he needs to change. His routine is old and has been played out. I garuntee you despite ppl being sick of him always being champ or in the title scene, fans would be accepting of a heel Cena champion. The company must be in bad shape if they are this scared to have Cena lose a few fans over a heel turn. Apperantly they have spent so much effort on pushing Cena and Orton, that arent other stars able to step up if they get injured or are out, thats why when they are 'fired' they dont even miss a show. Im sorry to say but as much as I respect Cena for all he does, he has just become a 2000s version of the 1980s Hogan in shamelessly promoting wwe to the point where he cant distinguish his real life from his character.

And I'm doing the same. I'm not stupid enough to think I'm going to change anyone's mind on this. But this whole shit where men's opinions matter more than women's and "most people" want Cena to turn heel is just nonsense spewed by bitter marks who can't stand having a squeaky clean babyface. Look, I can understand being sick of Cena, but when you start over exaggerating the percentage of people who are, coupled with acting like you're better than someone else, I'm going to argue that.

So you are telling me you are okay Cena doing his same lame and stale routine for another 5-8 years or so ? Not just that but dominating the main event scene and being crowned champion another 8-10 times. Really you like him this much ? So you are okay with a mini-version of WCW takes place, where the show only revolves around one true star, and others never get a chance to get ahead because of him maintaining that top spot and the format of the show remaining the same, which in my mind is regressing character growth. So WWE should never take risks ? You say he is your biggest star, pricesly why you should take a chance, because results will create a bigger reward. If you compare MMA' current growth to WWE, MMA is getting bigger, WWE is pretty much either stagnant or losing viewers. Why do yiu think all these writers are leaving the company ? Why do you think the show has become a little more edgy lately with the CM Punk storyline. Something is wrong and you have to fix all problems at the top. Get this through your WWE universe-induced head, Cena turning heel wont lose fans. Do you really think kids are going to stop watching or merchandise will go down if he turns ? How on earth can ratings get better if he maintains the same gimmick year after year, you dont think kids get bored too ? I guarantee you if he switched, the following week of the night he does, ratings will jump to their highest point since atleast Rock's return, maybe even higher.

I see NOTHING about The Miz in this post, Punk. So please don't accuse me of dodging points that were never made. If he made it in some other post, cool, I wasn't digging through the entire thread to find it.

Anyway, I'm sure lots of kids request Miz along with plenty of other WWE stars. It's nowhere near as many as request Cena.

As far as why kids should watch WWE? Maybe because they constantly show "Don't try this at home" commercials and emphasize how WWE superstars are trained professionals. Maybe because it gives them something to believe in at a young age, something to make them happy. You want a major overhaul for Cena and I can understand that point of view, but you have to understand that WWE is always going to stick with what works the best. Name me one scenario where, if Rock and Austin had stuck around, WWE would have depushed either of them for someone else. You can't. Because there isn't one. But, what they can do is push people ALONGSIDE Cena, like CM Punk or Randy Orton. The thing I don't get is how people always whine about Cena like there aren't alternative people you can cheer for. WWE has three major babyfaces now and two of them fall under the "anti-hero" mold. They would be stupid to make everyone an anti-hero instead of having one hero-type character. Variety is better, and I kind of wish people still considered it "cool" to cheer the good guy. It says something (bad) about society that they don't.

I see NOTHING about The Miz in this post, Punk. So please don't accuse me of dodging points that were never made. If he made it in some other post, cool, I wasn't digging through the entire thread to find it.

I love how you resort to name calling to achieve your point. All that means is you are running out of any valid points to make here. The fact remains Scuba DID say the Miz does the make-a-wish stuff, thus eliminating any argument you have about Cena refusing to turn b/c of it. Whether you paid attention to his entire post or not doesn't mean you should dismiss it. Maybe trying reading the points made before name calling or trying to make it seem as though you are right. The only thing it accomplishes it making you look childish and without anything to add to this discussion.

Anyway, I'm sure lots of kids request Miz along with plenty of other WWE stars. It's nowhere near as many as request Cena.

That is probably the single most ignorant statement you've made in this thread(and there have been quite a few). You're assuming once again that kids prefer faces over heels. Throughout this thread, I've seen a few guys say their kids like heels as well as faces. Kids these days are much smarter and I can easily see the Miz getting alot of make a wish requests. Cena may get more requests, but that's b/c he's a bigger star than Miz. In a few years, that logic may not be as sound. As long as the person doing the requests is a genuine, caring person, kids will want to see them(regardless of heel or face labels).

The bottom line here is Cena needs change in order to remain fresh. Being heel is a way of fascilitating that. I like Cena as much as anyone else, but WWE has been ignoring the fans wanting to see him turn. Then, he justifies it by claiming he isn't a "mean" person. I'm sorry, but neither that or the make a wish excuses fly here as far as I'm concerned. If you like the way he is, I can certainly understand it, but I can't agree with it. The reason WWE is in such bad shape now is b/c they don't listen to the fans. Which ultimately is ironic since Cena used the whole listen to the fans speech on both Punk and The Rock. Sounds like he should follow his own advice.

Honestly dude, I feel like if you're already watching wrestling in the first place, there's nothing else to really be ashamed of.

As long as it keeps making money and he stays healthy. That's how long it can be. I understand that some people are sick of him, but keep in mind that people like Rock and Austin had shorter runs due to circumstances out of WWE's control. You better believe that they would have both been on top for more years if Austin hadn't had injuries/walked out and Rock hadn't become a movie star. And people would be getting sick of those guys after another couple of years too.

In fact, a friend of mine showed me a wrestling forum archive once from the early 2000's where people were saying that Rock and Austin were stale and that they should push Jericho over them. I don't have the link, but it sure as hell sounds like the same shit that I'm seeing nowadays. WWE is always going to push the guys who are going to make them more money, no matter how "stale" it may be perceived to be by a few internet marks. Because the people who are responsible for more of their income still love Cena, and at the end of the day that's what matters to them.

Here it is....
http://www1.theforce.net/forum/Forum8/HTML/017344.html
Lol, Some posters miss the WWF action that use to happen 10 years before 2000...

And now its us in 2011 missing action from 2000.

Now the kiddies right now in 2021, we'll be missing John Cena from 2010...

Anyone who thinks Nitro was better than WWF in 2000 is nuts. Nitro was so bad back then it makes TNA today look like roses. Its not as though people are looking to comlain, there is evidence that shows WWE is in decline and has been since 2000. How on earth could you argue WWE wasnt anything but great back then, regardless if it was was or wasnt better than the Hogan era, there was plenty financial success to reflect the happiness of most fans at the time. They werent just doing good, they were doing excellent, even buying out there once mighty competition. I respect the dude's opinion but he was an extremely small minority.

Ok guys I've been following this thread from the beginning and have put my own two cents in at different junctions.
It is obvious most of us on here are set in our opinions. The prevailing perspective seems to come down to a few key points such as Cena brining in A LOT of money on merchendise and the lack of talent in the past to step up into that top babyface role, and also his longevity at the top as 'Face of the Company'.
So just to to throw a swerve on the angle from which we are all looking at this, what would happen is Cena was to get injured (of which I hope does not happen dont get me wrong, I just find this is an interesting situation) and his injury was to keep him out for months. Now in the past a lot of top guys have actually benefited from some time away from the ring while healing up and generally come back repackaged or with tweaks to there persona and more often then not they find a second wind or a renaissance in there career (think HHH in the early 2000's, Kurt Angle in the later 2000's as examples)
So I guess what i am saying is that in the past the loss of the top guy to injury always left a void that needed to be filled no matter what, essentailly forcing guys to be elevated and tested more on the big stage, but also has given opportunities for the injured superstars to try something different (whether it is a Face/Heel turn, or just a repackage) on there return.
Im just spit balling here but would love to hear some other peoples perspective on this, cheers guys.

2327070.jpg

I see a tons of people on here complain about same ol' Cena this, he's stale that. The fact is, he's the hero of the company, plain and simple. When I was a little, I remember getting all excited everytime Hogan came out to fend off the evil Roddy Pipper, or Paul Orndoff. Even when Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior faced off at WM, I still wanted Hogan to win despite the fact that the Ultimate Warrior was my 2nd favorite at the time. Kids aren't dumb, but kids love Cena as I did Hogan back in the day. The people that boo Cena because they want him to change have no idea what they want. As soon as he turns heel, there will be some of the same people on here finding something else to complain about with Cena. It's borderline ridiculous. He's one of the most successful, influential Superstars of all time and stale or not, he needs to be recognized as such.

Whatever direction they decide to take Cena will not be because of what the IWC wants. IMO as long as there is no credible face to take his spot at the top then there won't be a change in his character. He's a staple in the out of the ring activities and he does a million things to promote the business to outside intrests.

Heel turns are necessary to refresh a character, it's been done to every single wrestler in the past multiple times in their career.
John Cena is no exception.

For years the 'E' were far to comfortable just having Cena at the top and no one else, that's business suicide in my opinion. What if Cena got injured? an injury that could end his career or have him out of action for 6 months to a year? He's one injury away from retirement, he's already had one serious neck injury in the past.

If WWE hadn't shot themselves in the foot they should have produced more main-eventers to fall back on when & if Cena were to make the turn.
Now there stuck in a position, if Cena turns Heel who will be the new main-event babyface?
We're stuck with Cena who's staler than stale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back