Why can't John Cena wrestle like he did in 2003?

LOL

John Cena worked those Philly fans like the fools they are. Cena was MEGA over in that place, just as a heel, and he worked the heel persona in that match perfectly. Taunting the crowd, not breaking holds, doing all his moves slowly and more deliberate...Cena made those Philly fans look like the idiots they are. My favorite part is when the fans are chanting "Same old shit"...while simultaneously cheering the guy who did the same things for the last ten years, regardless of whether he was heel or face.

Cena made those Philly fans look idiotic. He worked them like the fools they were.

Cena did work that match the perfect way, and not all wrestlers can cope in a atmosphere like that( Big Dave got booed in Philly during a match with the Big Slow,and sulked his way though the match). It remains one of my favourite Cena matches.

LOL

John Cena worked those Philly fans like the fools they are. Cena was MEGA over in that place, just as a heel, and he worked the heel persona in that match perfectly. Taunting the crowd, not breaking holds, doing all his moves slowly and more deliberate...Cena made those Philly fans look like the idiots they are. My favorite part is when the fans are chanting "Same old shit"...while simultaneously cheering the guy who did the same things for the last ten years, regardless of whether he was heel or face.

Cena made those Philly fans look idiotic. He worked them like the fools they were.

Once Cena can accomplish any of these moves RVD has made famous, then come talk to me:

450 splash
Five Start Frog Splash
Hollwyood Star Press
Van Daminator
Van Terminator
Senton Bomb
Northern Lights Suplex
Moonsault
Monkey Flip
Roundhouse
Spinning Crescent
Corkscrew
Rolling Thunder
Springboard

Sounds like the fans were cheering more for these moves then the same old five knuckle shuffle, fireman's carry and STFU. Cena was a face by the way at One Night Stand and got booed terribly by being himself. It's my bad it wasn't Philly it was the Hammerstein ballroom in New York. Rey Mysterio was a face and he still got cheered, there were some boos for him being WWE but still they cheered because he was as good a wrestler as Sabu. Cena did his job by getting booed but being a top face in the company and still getting booed at regular WWE shows isn't anything to brag about.

Once Cena can accomplish any of these moves RVD has made famous, then come talk to me:

450 splash
Five Start Frog Splash
Hollwyood Star Press
Van Daminator
Van Terminator
Senton Bomb
Northern Lights Suplex
Moonsault
Monkey Flip
Roundhouse
Spinning Crescent
Corkscrew
Rolling Thunder
Springboard

Sounds like the fans were cheering more for these moves then the same old five knuckle shuffle, fireman's carry and STFU. Cena was a face by the way at One Night Stand and got booed terribly by being himself. It's my bad it wasn't Philly it was the Hammerstein ballroom in New York. Rey Mysterio was a face and he still got cheered, there were some boos for him being WWE but still they cheered because he was as good a wrestler as Sabu. Cena did his job by getting booed but being a top face in the company and still getting booed at regular WWE shows isn't anything to brag about.

Did you even read sly's post? He said RVD HAS BEEN DOING THE SAME THING FOR 10 YEARS!!! Please tell me that you have heard the phrase, "Working the crowd" ? That's all Cena did, he took what the fans gave him and went with it. He started acting like a heel, sly is absolutely right Cena worked them.

WOW, Cena does not get booed on a regular bases. When was the last time that you watched raw? Yeah, the guy gets some boos here and there, every once in awhile, but not to the level you're saying.

Get some facts and learn to read the post before you go blindly hating on someone...

450 splash
Five Start Frog Splash
Hollwyood Star Press
Van Daminator
Van Terminator
Senton Bomb
Northern Lights Suplex
Moonsault
Monkey Flip
Roundhouse
Spinning Crescent
Corkscrew
Rolling Thunder
Springboard

LOL, you know nothing about wrestling. Being able to perform moves as absolutely dick to do with being a good wrestler. Any idiot can go out in his backyard and do a bunch of rolls and flips, it takes a good wrestler to make people care about.

But, I think this quote was great...

You said:
Sounds like the fans were cheering more for these moves
See, that's why Cena is better than RVD. People don't cheer for Cena because of moves, they cheer for him because they care about him. When people only care for you because of the moves you do, you're not a good wrestler.

When you have the first clue what you're talking about, then get back to me.

I guess you guys know more about "wrestling" then I do since you've been watching for what a few years? Not any idiot can do flips and moonsaults, they need years of training for that. You're right you have to do more then moves.. but someone like RVD, Steamboat, Mr. Perfect, Ric Flair, Kurt Angle, and Bret Hart were cheered and booed for being great performers and because they can wrestle. Hogan only did a few moves like Cena but was cheered and booed also for being a great performer. We will just agree to disagree because Cena is your generation.. and the other guys are my generation. I will agree that Cena is a better performer and "wrestler" then RVD and other superstars on the roster but when it comes to pure athleticism my vote goes to someone along the lines of Angle, Bret Hart, Perfect, Shawn Michaels, and Ricky Steamboat. I know these wrestlers were before your time but they could perform and still give a good match besides just cut a promo. But I know nothing about "wrestling" even though I've been watching it before you were born and because you guys know everything.

LOL, you know nothing about wrestling. Being able to perform moves as absolutely dick to do with being a good wrestler. Any idiot can go out in his backyard and do a bunch of rolls and flips, it takes a good wrestler to make people care about.

I get your point - telling a story over moves. Valid in a small way but still a very flawed point.

Here's the thing. Moves=variety. Same old stuff=formula. Formula can be fun at times, many others it gets boring, bland and people get tired of it despite the fact that its "solid" (a word the IWC likes to butcher these days).

Being able to use a variety of moves in your different matches while still telling a story is a lost art in today's WWE.

Of course, wrestling is more than just moves. But like I said, moves still equal variety in the wrestler's stories. Finishers and sigs are necessary. But they are only part of the story.

And sadly, sometimes I think people who pretty much say "I don't give a damn as long as it tells a story" are part of the reason behind that. If the fans constantly defend the bland style - why will WWE change their main event style or encourage their midcard to turn it up a notch when they are trying to get in that higher spot where they will have to change their style anyway?

Personally, I want variety and a good story. That's the reason I've enjoyed the hell out of Mysterio and Jericho. They have done stuff against each other you have not seen out of them in months or even years. It's different, fresh, exciting. Both wonderful storytelling and a variety of moves, spots, whatever you want to call them.

The main event could be the same. Slower style perhaps but it could be a variety combined with storytelling. Sadly, we live in times when spots are considered evil by most fans. I remember back in the MNW era where Malenko, Benoit, etc would go out and tear things up with variety and a good story. People appreciated it. Now if someone uses more than 5 moves in a match - half the time it's a crap match because there's not enough story (even if there is one).

People did like Rey/Jericho so maybe there's hope.

I guess you guys know more about "wrestling" then I do since you've been watching for what a few years? Not any idiot can do flips and moonsaults, they need years of training for that. You're right you have to do more then moves.. but someone like RVD, Steamboat, Mr. Perfect, Ric Flair, Kurt Angle, and Bret Hart were cheered and booed for being great performers and because they can wrestle. Hogan only did a few moves like Cena but was cheered and booed also for being a great performer. We will just agree to disagree because Cena is your generation.. and the other guys are my generation. I will agree that Cena is a better performer and "wrestler" then RVD and other superstars on the roster but when it comes to pure athleticism my vote goes to someone along the lines of Angle, Bret Hart, Perfect, Shawn Michaels, and Ricky Steamboat. I know these wrestlers were before your time but they could perform and still give a good match besides just cut a promo. But I know nothing about "wrestling" even though I've been watching it before you were born and because you guys know everything.

Pure athleticism has very little to do with wrestling. If that was the case, Shelton Benjamin and John Morrison would be two of the all-time greats. Hogan was a great technical wrestler but he stuck to a few moves because that is what the crowd wanted. I didn't know Hart, Perfect, and Michaels were before my time because I've been watching them since I was a kid.

I didn't know it could take years to do a moonsault either.

I wasn't talking about you or the other people on this thread just slyfox. It doesn't take years to do a moonsault but not anyone can do it. I'm just saying wrestlers should have the best of both worlds, be able to cut a promo and put on a good match. Morrison and Benjamin are talented and aren't on the main event level yet. Cena is Huge right now and doesn't need to have fancy moves. I'm just a fan that appreciates the whole package of things, wrestling and mic skills.

I wasn't talking about you or the other people on this thread just slyfox.

So your just attacking Slyfox saying hes just a fan of this generation when you have no idea when he started watching wrestling or how old he is. You make yourself sound like this guy whos been watching wrestling since Verne Gagne and Lou Thesz were wrestling and you assume Sly has only been watching since 2005. How did you get this information do you know him personally?

It doesn't take years to do a moonsault but not anyone can do it. I'm just saying wrestlers should have the best of both worlds, be able to cut a promo and put on a good match.

Since when does knowing how to do a moonsault mean your a great wrestler? Undertaker can't do a moonsault and he can put on a great match. He tells a good story. Working a body part, trying to put your opponent away however possible, telling the story of a match. Thats how you make a good match. Amazing Red can do lots of flips and moves and he isn't half the wrestler Cena,Taker or RVD is. Plus last time I checked Cena cut way more passionate promos then laid back RVD.

Morrison and Benjamin are talented and aren't on the main event level yet. Cena is Huge right now and doesn't need to have fancy moves. I'm just a fan that appreciates the whole package of things, wrestling and mic skills.

Which John Cena has

You can tell a great story in a match and not do moonsaults or frog splashes. I agree with you. Cena can put on a great match and be passionate in his promos. RVD was laid back cause WWE made him into the cool dude. Listen to his promo from the original one night stand you will see a different side of him. Im not putting down any generation who watches Cena or WWE I just believe in my own opinion someone like Ric Flair or Bret Hart brought alot more to the wrestling audience then Cena does now. I shouldn't of bashed sly but a younger WWE fan telling everyone they know nothing about wrestling is insulting to everyone.

While Cena is no Bret Hart or Kurt Angle, he is great at what he does. He gets the crowd interested in his matches. Little kids MTFO when he does the Five Knuckle Shuffle because they care about his matches. Sure you can go out there and flip, moonsault, suplex, and all that, but it takes a true entertainer to get someone to care about them. If professional wrestling was judged on pure technical ability, then ROH would be the number one company in the USA.

Well to those who thought I posted this thread to bash Cena, I'm sorry I didnt mean for you to misunderstand me. And I do think he is the biggest superstar of our era no doubt. And a great promo cutter. I loved his promo a week ago. Especially when he said "Your not a reality tv has been but a WWE never was" to The Miz. Awesome line. I just get so damn bored with his matches and on rare occasions enjoy them

I guess you guys know more about "wrestling" then I do since you've been watching for what a few years?
Around 1987 or 1988, I do believe.

Since you're so interested.

Not any idiot can do flips and moonsaults
Bullshit. I see plenty of idiots do flips and moonsaults. Just do a Youtube search.

they need years of training for that.
To do a backflip? So all those kids I saw jumping off the diving board when I was 10 had years of training?

Bullshit.

You're right you have to do more then moves.. but someone like RVD, Steamboat, Mr. Perfect, Ric Flair, Kurt Angle, and Bret Hart were cheered and booed for being great performers and because they can wrestle.
And yet, you have NO idea what it means to "wrestle". How did RVD "wrestle"? Please tell me. Because he did a bunch of fake moves on a willing partner that look incredibly fake and laughable? That meant he could "wrestle"?

Do you understand anything about wrestling?

Hogan only did a few moves like Cena but was cheered and booed also for being a great performer. We will just agree to disagree because Cena is your generation.. and the other guys are my generation.
LOL, my generation goes back to the same guys yours does. Guys like Hogan, Piper, Flair, Steamboat, Orndorff, Windham, Anderson, Morton, Rhodes, etc.

but when it comes to pure athleticism my vote goes to someone along the lines of Angle, Bret Hart, Perfect, Shawn Michaels, and Ricky Steamboat.
LOL, Bret Hart wasn't a very good athlete at all. There have been hundreds of guys who were better athletes than Bret Hart.

But, very few of them were as good of a wrestler. And the reason is because athleticism has ZERO to do with being a good wrestler. Hell, compare someone like Stan Hansen to Shelton Benjamin. Benjamin is three times the athlete that Hansen is, but doesn't even deserve to be on the same card as someone like Hansen.

And, as far as being a "good athlete" goes, John Cena was an All-American lineman in college. So, I dare say he was a decent athlete as well.

I know these wrestlers were before your time but they could perform and still give a good match besides just cut a promo. But I know nothing about "wrestling" even though I've been watching it before you were born and because you guys know everything.
Before my time, eh?

I get your point - telling a story over moves. Valid in a small way but still a very flawed point.

Here's the thing. Moves=variety. Same old stuff=formula. Formula can be fun at times, many others it gets boring, bland and people get tired of it despite the fact that its "solid" (a word the IWC likes to butcher these days).

Being able to use a variety of moves in your different matches while still telling a story is a lost art in today's WWE.

Of course, wrestling is more than just moves. But like I said, moves still equal variety in the wrestler's stories. Finishers and sigs are necessary. But they are only part of the story.
Wrong, my good friend...actually, you're not my friend, and I don't know you. But you're still wrong.

Let's put it this way. Take John Grisham, Steven King, and J.R.R. Tolkien. Outside of maybe a word here or there, wouldn't you say they use the same vocabulary? Of course they do. But are their stories even close to being the same? Not in the least.

Moves are only important to further the story of the match. John Cena plays the character of the All-American brawler, the modern day John Wayne. He goes out, rough and tough, never gives up, and punches his way to victory. The classic American good guy. Why would it make sense for him to use springboard moonsault? Flying head scissors? Why would he take a guy down with an intricate chain of wrestling resulting in an arm bar? That'd be stupid, and would be completely ridiculous for his character.

A variety of moves does exactly dick for your ability to tell a story. Take Bret Hart. His moveset was virtually the same his entire singles career, and he really didn't use that many moves. But the stories were always different, because he was a damn good worker. The same goes for John Cena. Number of moves has dick to do with how good of a wrestler you are.

And sadly, sometimes I think people who pretty much say "I don't give a damn as long as it tells a story" are part of the reason behind that. If the fans constantly defend the bland style - why will WWE change their main event style or encourage their midcard to turn it up a notch when they are trying to get in that higher spot where they will have to change their style anyway?
Style and story are two completely separate issues. The WWF works, primarily, more of a brawling style. Where big strong guys throw punches and kicks, and use a bunch of power moves. Sure, there are guys like Evan Bourne, and Fit Finlay who work different styles, but when you get to the main-event, that's generally the style you'll see. And it makes sense, because that is traditionally the type of fighting Americans want to see; big strong gladiators duking it out with their fists.

But, take Hart vs. Austin from WM 13 and compare it to Cena vs. Triple H at WM 22. Both those matches worked the same style, but had COMPLETELY different stories. Hart vs. Austin was basically a match to see who was the bigger badass. Who could beat-up who. And it was great. The match had a great story. The Cena vs. Triple H match was Brawler vs. Technician (which is dumb because Trips is a terrible wrestler...but, I digress). And, you can see that story play out in the beginning with Trips "outwrestling" Cena, and the story progresses to the end, where Cena catches Triple H with a drop toehold (a wrestling move) and beats him with a submission move.

Both matches featured the same style, but completely different stories.

Personally, I want variety and a good story. That's the reason I've enjoyed the hell out of Mysterio and Jericho. They have done stuff against each other you have not seen out of them in months or even years. It's different, fresh, exciting. Both wonderful storytelling and a variety of moves, spots, whatever you want to call them.
Moves and spots are completely different. Moves are like the words to a story. Spots are the moments that are planned before a match, that the wrestlers work towards to help build heat in the match.

The main event could be the same. Slower style perhaps but it could be a variety combined with storytelling. Sadly, we live in times when spots are considered evil by most fans.
No their not. But see, people like you don't really know what a spot is, so they see people who have knowledge of wrestling call things a "spotfest" and they just jump on the bandwagon.

EVERY match has spots. EVERY match. Like I said earlier, spots are just pre-planned moments in a match that the wrestlers work toward, in order to tell their story and build heat in the match. However, many people think spots are aerial moves or "holy shit" moments. They are completely different. When people throw the word "spotfests" around, what they mean is that the match has no good transitions from spot to spot, nothing that logically connects each spot with the next, to build the story. Instead, a spotfest match is where there is just a bunch of spots, and the wrestlers hit those spots for no reason. And that's why a spotfest is considered bad.

Some matches have more spots than others. For example, a Ric Flair match was usually called on the fly. They'd have a beginning spot, an end, and maybe one or two in the middle, but everything else was called on the fly. By comparison, Savage vs. Steamboat from WM 3 was planned out almost entirely. In theory, that whole match could be call a spot.

I remember back in the MNW era where Malenko, Benoit, etc would go out and tear things up with variety and a good story. People appreciated it. Now if someone uses more than 5 moves in a match - half the time it's a crap match because there's not enough story (even if there is one).

People did like Rey/Jericho so maybe there's hope.
Those matches worked because the guys doing them understood that the moves had no impact on the match, just the story they were telling.

If you want to watch a bunch of wrestling moves, go buy a wrestling training tape. I bet you won't be entertained though.

I didn't know it could take years to do a moonsault either.
A backflip requires YEARS of training... :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about you or the other people on this thread just slyfox. It doesn't take years to do a moonsault but not anyone can do it.
Yes, anyone can. Regardless of whether you have training in wrestling or not, you can do a backflip.
So your just attacking Slyfox saying hes just a fan of this generation when you have no idea when he started watching wrestling or how old he is.
I'm 10 years old. Don't you see that in my profile? ;)
I shouldn't of bashed sly but a younger WWE fan telling everyone they know nothing about wrestling is insulting to everyone.
Why does my age matter, when you know nothing about wrestling?

While Cena is no Bret Hart or Kurt Angle
And thank God for that. Because one Angle is bad enough.

Luckily Cena is much better than Angle.

Why can't Cena wrestle like that? Why should he? Cena's character is something that works perfectly the way it is. Hulk Hogan isn't someone that you would say needed to change his style. Why would have have needed to? He used even less moves and got the biggest pops of all time. As Sly said, wrestling isn't about the amount of moves in your repitoire. If that was the case, Dean Milenko and William Regal would headline almost every Wrestlemania there was. Pro wrestling is about mixing athleticism and storytelling together to create a product that the fans are interested in. Cena does that as well as if not better than anyone in the world right now.

Slyfox696 that is the problem with fans today, be it young or old. You think just because it tells a story it excuses anything and makes it passable. Yeah, stories are told different ways. I get it. I never said they weren't. I never said Cena should do a damn 450, I wouldn't care if he does.

I've been watching wrestling since 1980. So I'm not some teeny bopper who thinks movezz are da shitz and doesn't understand the concept of storytelling and the difference between moves and spots. Sadly, the majoity of the net doesn't, which is what I was getting at. It's kind of hard to talk the difference between them when, yes you are correct on that, most people (even insiders) are confused. But I wasn't and still am not.

I'd say more but why should I bother. You will just take it and twist it around and tirade about how you know everything. I'll admit I don't know everything about wrestling, but I know a damn lot. And I know just because it tells a story doesn't make it a classic.

Great matches tell stories - YES. Shit matches tell stories too, sadly.

But like I said, moves gives the stories variety. It's not always going to make it better, obviously. But it still gives it a different feel. But you don't care about that. Because moves are dick in your opinon.

"If you want to watch a bunch of wrestling moves, go buy a wrestling training tape. I bet you won't be entertained though."

I said I wanted variety of moves AND STORY. Read my post. Don't leave something out to twist what I said around.

"And thank God for that. Because one Angle is bad enough. Luckily Cena is much better than Angle."

I respect your opinon but calling one of the best damn overall performers that doesn't work for ROH better than Cena takes away your credibility. I'm not calling Cena crap, because I don't think he is such. But Angle's damn good and it shows just how much you do know about wrestling if you suggest he isn't.

Moves only provide a variety of stories for those workers who aren't good enough to do it otherwise. Good wrestlers can use the same moves, or basically no moves, and still tell different stories that are good and different.

And, Angle is not good. He's a one trick pony who doesn't bother to give situations any thought when working his matches. For example, take his feud with Cena for example. Angle was supposed to be the heel, and yet he was constantly playing to the crowd, using high risk and crowd popping moves. That's not a good wrestler. A good wrestler adapts his style for the different situations he is in.

Like, say, John Cena.

Why should Cena have to change his style I mean shouldn't a wrestlers style fit the gimmick he is portraying I mean it only makes sense. Cena is great at what he does I used to be on his hate train but that changed. Because I realized what story telling means to the product take Randy Orton for example people in the IWC complain his matches are boring awful and hes plain but the man is playing to his gimmick when he locks the headlocks in the fans boo he is doing his job as is John Cena there's just lots of fans out there that think being a great wrestler is only about having a great moveset it's wrong and the people that believe that are Wrong.

I understand that there's a strong value in being able to tell a story in the ring with minmal effort. Hulk Hogan made a career off of doing that. The point that I believe is being missed here is that there's nothing wrong with John Cena's style. People can argue until they're blue in the face as to if they LIKE the way Cena conducts his business in the ring. But the bottom line is that it clearly works. I would never question that.

But for me as a fan I want more. The WWE produces about six hours or original content a week. Add three more hours when there's a PPV. So in my book the value of a wrestler who tells his story with a varied moveset has skyrocketed since the days of Hogan when there was a good chance you wouldn't see him wrestle most weeks. Nowadays you can see the big names wrestle at least once every single week.

My attention is drawn most to people like Edge and Chris Jericho. They have the talent and fan appeal to just go for their signature moves week in and week out while relying on their charisma to fill the gaps like Cena does. But they don't. They earn more respect and attention from me because it doesn't matter who they wrestle against; they'll still give their all and try to pull a rabbit out of their hat in every match.

That's always been my main beef with Cena. I like the guy. I really do! In 2003 I was absolutely hooked on him. He was a big guy but he didn't wrestle like one would expect a typical big guy to wrestle. His promos were generally witty and rarely boiled down to lame gay/poop jokes like they do now. In everything he did it felt like he knew had already done what was necessary but he still wanted to do more. His character was already at 10 but he still decided to turn it up to 11.

I just don't feel that anymore. I think that's what disappoints me the most. Other wrestling fans have never liked Cena so they never really had any expectations. But since I used to be a Cena fan I had expectations. Say I have an undo sense of entitlement if you want but in reality my expectations really just mean that I like the guy.

That's where I really think the disconnect between Cena haters and Cena fans lies. Cena isn't really doing a lot wrong. When the haters say he's garbage they're lying. But I also believe that when the Cena fans say he's doing everything right they're off the mark as well. Maybe the haters' numbers have shrunk but they're still VERY vocal. It's incredibly rare that you go to a show where you can't see their signs or hear them. To dismiss them and just say they're wrong is very short-sighted in my view. You can't just sweep them under the rug or say that they're wrong. Well, you can but you shouldn't.

That's why the Cena debate is so ugly. Both sides are so vocal and they utterly refuse to admit that there's even a tiny chance they might be a little off the mark. It's so rare to find fans who have a middle ground on the subject. Hmmm... isn't that the aspect of Cena's character that the announcers are now trying to sell like crazy? Interesting...

To make a long story short (too late, I know) I really do miss the old Cena. But that doesn't mean the current Cena is bad.

I understand that there's a strong value in being able to tell a story in the ring with minmal effort. Hulk Hogan made a career off of doing that. The point that I believe is being missed here is that there's nothing wrong with John Cena's style. People can argue until....... too late, I know) I really do miss the old Cena. But that doesn't mean the current Cena is bad.

In actually replying to your whole post not just those few lines. Anyway.

You actually managed to say what I wanted to say without going off on a angry rant and losing focus on the point like I did. Also to Slyfox, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this matter.

My final remark on this subject. I'm the kind of person who, like Black snow, wants more. Sure what we get now might be fine but when you see that there are folks capable of doing more it kind of sucks to see the same formula mostly every week. One of my favorite matches of the "new era" has always been Triple H (who I despise these days)/Benoit from No Mercy 2000. Trips brought it that night, bumping it up when not one of us would have been upset if he didn't. But he still did, knowing he could have a slightly more memorable match. I miss that in general in WWE these days. Whether the way thigns are is a result of style, politics or something else I'll admit things may often be "okay" but I want and feel we could get more.

This is a new era of wrestling. Things should be changing. We should we getting a faster paced, more athletic product that can be entertaining at the same time. Traditional shouldn't die, obviously. But there should be more variety. That's why I continue to watch the current product, despite not liking a lot of it. I watch hoping things will change - and enjoying a few things that are still enjoyable (Rey/Jericho for example). It may or may never be different. We don't need another attitude era - we need a new era of athletic with an athletic story.

Sadly, my viewing habits is why I call wrestling a drug. You take it and watch it and you keep going for it. It's hard to resist. Even when you aren't pleased with it.

Sigh... I get what you're saying, and I'm pretty sure KB and Slyfox have said it earlier (actually, looking at it, KB did indeed say it. Alas, I'm already here)

Why should he? I mean, he's already selling out arenas worldwide. Why should he do more. Is he going to sell out more than he already is? He's already the WWE's lead guy, and they guy they're going to go with for the next fifteen years (presumably). So why should he have to?

Hulk Hogan has said it before, and I actually agree with this philosophy; why should you do as much as you did New York, when you're working in Poughkeepsie. That is what I'd argue Bret Hart would do; he worked far more than he had to all over the entire country. And guess what; people eventually found his matches far too predictable. And he probably gassed himself out from an extra years (spare him getting kicked in the head by Goldberg. I'd argue if that didn't happen, he'd work another five years. Where as, he had the ability to go another fifteen years if he wanted to.)

John Cena is being smart. He's using them when he has to, and he's not over selling himself.

Let's use this analogy... You like ladder matches, right?

Did they mean more to you in 1994, or in 2009?

And you want to know why they meant more in 1994? Aside from the WWE using them to oblivion, the wrestlers knew to use the big spots when they had to. Now, ladder matches are nothing but big spots, and the chase to do bigger and better spots is catching up to the wrestlers. Look at Edge and Jeff Hardy: One broke his neck, and the other constantly burns out. And now, the pops are dying, because they can't do the huge spots they use to.

Now look at HBK and Razor Ramon. Didn't their ladder matches mean more? Absolutely, because they knew when to pick their spots, and leave the fans wanting more. And they got far more over as time progressed.

Such is the case of John Cena. It's called "self preservation". And it's smart.

This is a new era of wrestling. Things should be changing. We should we getting a faster paced, more athletic product that can be entertaining at the same time.
I could not disagree more whole-heartedly. The pace we see now these days is WAY to fast, it's completely unbelievable. Wrestling is ALWAYS at it's best when it's believable as a realistic product. When the workers try to make the matches seem not like a show, but as real life. That's the true definition of workrate.

Too many guys today trade aerial spots and fast pace matches for quality, and wrestling fans are just as much to blame as the wrestlers are. Wrestlers do it because it's an easy to pop the crowds in the indys, and they don't learn the art of working an audience, and fans are responsible because their attention span is roughly 3 seconds.

But, we should NOT be getting faster pacing, we should be slowing it down, making it believable. Wrestling has actually made a cartoon of itself, not with gimmicks, but rather with the moves we see, and the amazing "resiliency" of the wrestlers. I mean, back in the day, a piledriver was like killing a man...now it's a routine move. Wrestling has become completely unbelievable, and in my opinion, is one of the reasons why it is no longer as popular as it should be.

Take even Steve Austin. While his character did outlandish things which appealed to the shock nature of TV in the late 90s, once he was in the ring, his character was very grounded and very believable. He didn't do anything fancy, he was just the rough and tough redneck you'd meet in the bar down the street. There was nothing flashy about Austin in the ring, but he was so damn good at what he did, people loved watching him fight. We need more of THAT in wrestling today, not guys who think that fast paced matches means they are better wrestlers.

I could not disagree more whole-heartedly. The pace we see now these days is WAY to fast, it's completely unbelievable. Wrestling is ALWAYS at it's best when it's believable as a realistic product. When the workers try to make the matches seem not like a show, but as real life. That's the true definition of workrate.

Too many guys today trade aerial spots and fast pace matches for quality, and wrestling fans are just as much to blame as the wrestlers are. Wrestlers do it because it's an easy to pop the crowds in the indys, and they don't learn the art of working an audience, and fans are responsible because their attention span is roughly 3 seconds.

But, we should NOT be getting faster pacing, we should be slowing it down, making it believable. Wrestling has actually made a cartoon of itself, not with gimmicks, but rather with the moves we see, and the amazing "resiliency" of the wrestlers. I mean, back in the day, a piledriver was like killing a man...now it's a routine move. Wrestling has become completely unbelievable, and in my opinion, is one of the reasons why it is no longer as popular as it should be.

Take even Steve Austin. While his character did outlandish things which appealed to the shock nature of TV in the late 90s, once he was in the ring, his character was very grounded and very believable. He didn't do anything fancy, he was just the rough and tough redneck you'd meet in the bar down the street. There was nothing flashy about Austin in the ring, but he was so damn good at what he did, people loved watching him fight. We need more of THAT in wrestling today, not guys who think that fast paced matches means they are better wrestlers.

You can have a great storyline and and awesome match in the ring. You will disagree with me again cause Cena is the greatest wrestler in the world in your opinion. I'm just saying people can argue that Savage and Steamboat had the greatest match at Wrestlemania because of the sure athleticism. More would say a match between Hogan and Andre even though there were a few moves it told a great story and only needed a body slam to get the crowd standing on their feet. Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WM25 also told a great story and the two had great athleticism. By the way you need years of training to be a good wrestler and get to be in the WWE, a kid at the pool can do flips and all that but he's not trained to protect himself or the person he his wrestling with if he were to do that in the ring, which he doesn't need to do flips or moonsaults anyway. IMO Cena/Triple H or Cena/Michaels at WM told a good story and had great athleticism but compared to Michaels/Hart Iron Match or Taker/Michaels it's not the same. I'm not putting down those matches but the one's I will are the WHC match at WM25 and the WWE title match at W25. The story was great with Triple H and Orton but that match was fast, rushed, and shitted on. The same could be said about the WHC match, the match was faster then most matches on Raw or Smackdown. I'm not saying someone needs to do a damn iron man match and I know the title matches this year had to take a back seat to the real main event of Taker and Michaels. I'm not shitting on Cena, he just needs a good feud with someone new like he did with the Miz. That didn't last long but it was more refreshing then the same old Edge, Triple H, or Orton feud he's had for the past 2 years. AJ Styles will never be as big as John Cena for now, but you shouldn't shit all over athletes that are gifted in the ring but need a little improvement in story telling.

You can have a great storyline and and awesome match in the ring.
Well, yeah. Because a match that tells a good story, and executes it well IS what makes an awesome match. Take Hogan vs. Warriors from Wrestlemania 6. That's a terrific match, executed very well, that tells a tremendous story of putting over the next big thing. It was about which Goliath was bigger and better. It was about the old guard (Hogan) being matched step for step by Warrior, showing the fans that Warrior was every bit as good as Hogan was...and even a little better.

That's a great story, it was executed very well, and thus is a very great match.

You will disagree with me again cause Cena is the greatest wrestler in the world in your opinion.
Not at all, because Cena does those things which makes him a great wrestler.

I'm just saying people can argue that Savage and Steamboat had the greatest match at Wrestlemania because of the sure athleticism.
Sure, for the time, it was a very athletic contest, but if you go back and watch it now, it's no better than what you see every week in TNA or WWE.

However, that match is STILL great, despite the athleticism no longer being extraordinary. And thus, it shows the match wasn't good because of athleticism, but because of the flawless execution, the way they built heat in the match, the way they involved the crowd, the way they built upon the storyline going in...just a terrific match, even to this day. In my opinion, it is the match that all matches should strive to be like, in terms of quality and execution.

But, not because they were athletic.

More would say a match between Hogan and Andre even though there were a few moves it told a great story and only needed a body slam to get the crowd standing on their feet.
The match gets a bad rap, but it's not great. Historic? Yes. Epic? Yes. Great? Meh...not really. Solid? Ok. Decent? Sure. But the ring work wasn't great. And that's fine, it was never sold to be. Andre was way past his prime, and the draw to the match was him passing the torch to Hogan.

Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WM25 also told a great story and the two had great athleticism.
Good match, but incredibly overrated.

The problem with that match is that people just read the names of the competitors and attached two stars to the match automatically, and everything after it just bumps it up. Don't get me wrong, good match, best on the card, but not as great as people like to pretend it is.

By the way you need years of training to be a good wrestler and get to be in the WWE
Absolutely. To be a good wrestler, most people would need 10-15 years to become the best they can be.

a kid at the pool can do flips and all
And that's my point. And thus saying that RVD was great because he can do flips is a ridiculous statement.

IMO Cena/Triple H or Cena/Michaels at WM told a good story and had great athleticism but compared to Michaels/Hart Iron Match or Taker/Michaels it's not the same.
You're right...the Cena matches were better than the Hart and Taker matches.

Michaels vs. Hart is an overrated bore, and that's coming from a huge Hart fan who lists that match as one of his bests efforts. But, it's still not good. It's a 35-40 minute match stretched out to 60+ minutes.

The story was great with Triple H and Orton but that match was fast, rushed, and shitted on.
Umm...the storyline going in got weaker and weaker the closer they got to Wrestlemania...and the match was just awful.

AJ Styles will never be as big as John Cena for now, but you shouldn't shit all over athletes that are gifted in the ring but need a little improvement in story telling.
AJ Styles is a very good wrestler, one of the best in the ring of the day. I'm not shitting on him at all.

If I remember correctly, everyone as in the internet wrestling community, loved Cena.

When Undertaker buried him, everyone was pissed. Cena has always been known to be popular I guess. It must be because of his character change in RAW 2005. It happened around his feud with Angle, it was pretty obvious he was a total 100% babyface and thus, hated.

I wasn't talking about you or the other people on this thread just slyfox. It doesn't take years to do a moonsault but not anyone can do it. I'm just saying wrestlers should have the best of both worlds, be able to cut a promo and put on a good match. Morrison and Benjamin are talented and aren't on the main event level yet.

I'll agree with you on Morrison, but Benjamin is horrible on the mic. Really what is one memorable promo has he done? That's right none.

Cena is Huge right now and doesn't need to have fancy moves. I'm just a fan that appreciates the whole package of things, wrestling and mic skills.

Cena has the whole package. Great on the mic, great in the ring, he does it all. He's a great wrestler that can do just about anything he wants. Like KB said he doesn't have to. RVD did have the stuff he did, because otherwise he wouldn't be known. Cena can put on a great match with out having to jump half way across the ring to get a great reaction from the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back