Why Didn't They Just Retire?

In professional wrestling, there seems to be an unfortunate pattern of older wrestlers, who just cannot give up on wrestling. Today, some prime examples of that would have to be Scott Hall, Hulk Hogan, and Ric Flair, but historically there are many others, such as Terry Funk. That being said, would it be better if those guys just retired? I mean overall, throughout the history of wrestling, has it hurt or hindered wrestling when these types of guys have stuck around?

It definitely hurt wrestling, the way I see it. Terry Funk has been wrestling retirement matches for the last 20 years, it just puts a stain on the face of pro wrestling, especially when these guys start talking about all the injuries they have sustained over time. It makes it seem as if the companies are at fault, when in all honesty it is the wrestlers themselves. Some people feel bad for Flair, Hogan, or Funk, personally I believe it is their own fault. Flair should have retired years ago, at the end of WCW at the latest, but he went to the WWE. Even in Evolution, you could tell he just wasn't fit to be in the ring. The ability to be able to let go is certainly very useful, throughout history there have been guys who should have retired but didn't, but had they been able to let go of wrestling, they wouldn't have caused this stain on the face of the game.

Thoughts?

Two reasons.

1) Because when people FINALLY retire ala Rock/Stone cold the fans keep crying out for "one more match"

2) The old school way of doing it would be this is all they know. The likes of Jericho has an active career outside of wrestling but Hogan/Flair etc it's in their blood and they just don't know when to stop.

I think it's getting better in recent times and wrestlers are encouraged to get qualifications outside of wrestling to persue careers after 'retirement'

Interesting point. One I'm inclined to agree with you on.

As you've already highlighted there are multiple names in the business who just can't seem to let go. You've already highlighted a few and those exact names were the ones that were on my lips when I started to read this thread.

I think it boils down to a few different reasons, and each is wrestler specific.

The first and main reason, in my opinion, is that wrestling is all they know. In this industry they are often larger than life characters, who are sometimes outspoken, brash or perhaps even volatile. Accepting retirement from something that has been your life and trying to fit into the 'real' world is difficult when you're viewed differently due to your physical appearance and come from an almost insular sect such as the carnival world of wrestling. Perhaps Terry Funk falls into this category?

Another is financial. It is documented that some of the older wrestlers may not have been as savvy with their earnings over the years, perhaps living beyond their means to live up to the character they portray (I think of Ric Flair as I type). Now I don't know every wrestlers financial status, only what is reported now and again, but financial difficulties, coupled with my first reason, have to be a key factor behind some wrestlers inability to let go.

My third reason is ego. I think Hogan could arguably be the biggest culprit of this over the years. He's made his money, his legend, his fan base and gained his celebrity status from wrestling. He doesn't need anymore money, his legend and fame within the industry is set in stone and Hulkamania will always run wild. Yet he still hangs on in there, taking up valuable TV time that could be put to better use elsewhere.

Another reason wrestlers can't let go are the fans. We always clamour to see our heroes of yesteryear return for 'one more match'. That match, once we have had it, will always be followed with calls for another match, and so on. Wrestlers don't want to let their fans down and the willingness to return for that one off appearance is often coupled with one of the above reasons.

I also think drink and drugs have played their part over the years. These sometimes everyday (I'm thinking prescription drugs) substances have caused havoc with many a young wrestler throughout the years, subsequently causing loss to some of the biggest names we have loved. Frazzled brains and continuing addictions make employment outside of wrestling difficult. Then there are those who hide from their addictions and continue to perform behind the proverbial mask of a wrestling character where they are safe and socially accepted.

Two reasons.

1) Because when people FINALLY retire ala Rock/Stone cold the fans keep crying out for "one more match"

2) The old school way of doing it would be this is all they know. The likes of Jericho has an active career outside of wrestling but Hogan/Flair etc it's in their blood and they just don't know when to stop.

I think it's getting better in recent times and wrestlers are encouraged to get qualifications outside of wrestling to persue careers after 'retirement'

I agree with what you're saying. The temptation of "one more match" certainly must impact their decisions. I mean, Terry Funk has had about 7000 "one more matches." It's just too much for them to give up in all likelihood, personally I'd have a hard time going too if I had thousands of people chanting my name on a daily basis.

Yes, but Hogan had a life outside of wrestling for a while there. He had his TV show, had other ventures to pursue, but when his family life came crumbling down he came back to wrestling. To me at least, it seems to be an outlet, a way to get their aggression out.

I definitely think that in today's world of wrestling we'll be seeing less of these cases. There's always other stuff for wrestlers to do. Well said.

As you've already highlighted there are multiple names in the business who just can't seem to let go. You've already highlighted a few and those exact names were the ones that were on my lips when I started to read this thread.

I think it boils down to a few different reasons, and each is wrestler specific.

The first and main reason, in my opinion, is that wrestling is all they know. In this industry they are often larger than life characters, who are sometimes outspoken, brash or perhaps even volatile. Accepting retirement from something that has been your life and trying to fit into the 'real' world is difficult when you're viewed differently due to your physical appearance and come from an almost insular sect such as the carnival world of wrestling. Perhaps Terry Funk falls into this category?

Another is financial. It is documented that some of the older wrestlers may not have been as savvy with their earnings over the years, perhaps living beyond their means to live up to the character they portray (I think of Ric Flair as I type). Now I don't know every wrestlers financial status, only what is reported now and again, but financial difficulties, coupled with my first reason, have to be a key factor behind some wrestlers inability to let go.

My third reason is ego. I think Hogan could arguably be the biggest culprit of this over the years. He's made his money, his legend, his fan base and gained his celebrity status from wrestling. He doesn't need anymore money, his legend and fame within the industry is set in stone and Hulkamania will always run wild. Yet he still hangs on in there, taking up valuable TV time that could be put to better use elsewhere.

Another reason wrestlers can't let go are the fans. We always clamour to see our heroes of yesteryear return for 'one more match'. That match, once we have had it, will always be followed with calls for another match, and so on. Wrestlers don't want to let their fans down and the willingness to return for that one off appearance is often coupled with one of the above reasons.

I also think drink and drugs have played their part over the years. These sometimes everyday (I'm thinking prescription drugs) substances have caused havoc with many a young wrestler throughout the years, subsequently causing loss to some of the biggest names we have loved. Frazzled brains and continuing addictions make employment outside of wrestling difficult. Then there are those who hide from their addictions and continue to perform behind the proverbial mask of a wrestling character where they are safe and socially accepted.

Thing that caught my eye was "ego." The one that really stands out there would be Hulk Hogan. He knows that EVERY time he comes back, that all his loyal fans will be there. Hulkamania will not die. He's exploiting all those loyal fans, by giving them subpar matches, promos, everything, for his own personal gain. If he truly cared about his fans, he wouldn't be doing that. That's just the way I see it.

Like I said to Lee though, do you think anybody could give up all those fans, though? Even if you're not giving them your best, they're still cheering you on. Your name is still reverberating through that arena. A bit like Brett Favre and the NFL, or even Michael Jordan and the NBA. Favre can't leave football, even though he has retired 4 or 5 times (he might finally be done), and Jordan retired 3 times until it finally stuck. No matter what the profession is, as long as you have a crowd that big, I think the electricity might be too much to give up.

The day Hulk Hogan finally leaves is the day the last Hulk Hogan fan stops cheering him on. Same with Flair, when his last fan stops, he'll stop. Don't keep your hopes up.

Thing that caught my eye was "ego." The one that really stands out there would be Hulk Hogan. He knows that EVERY time he comes back, that all his loyal fans will be there. Hulkamania will not die. He's exploiting all those loyal fans, by giving them subpar matches, promos, everything, for his own personal gain. If he truly cared about his fans, he wouldn't be doing that. That's just the way I see it.

Like I said to Lee though, do you think anybody could give up all those fans, though? Even if you're not giving them your best, they're still cheering you on. Your name is still reverberating through that arena. A bit like Brett Favre and the NFL, or even Michael Jordan and the NBA. Favre can't leave football, even though he has retired 4 or 5 times (he might finally be done), and Jordan retired 3 times until it finally stuck. No matter what the profession is, as long as you have a crowd that big, I think the electricity might be too much to give up.

The day Hulk Hogan finally leaves is the day the last Hulk Hogan fan stops cheering him on. Same with Flair, when his last fan stops, he'll stop. Don't keep your hopes up.

I am with you on a lot of things that you said about Hogan's ego, in fact even the staunchest fans of the Hulk Hogan character myself included would be downright ignorant and silly to not concede that the man has a very high opinion of himself. I am not saying that he's right for doing that, but he is Hulk Hogan and with his standing in the business he can get away with that attitude, not saying that's a good thing, but just making an observation.

However, I have to point out that even with the amount of segments he has on TV and the fact that his promos are a little too rough and old school for some of today's audience he could be doing a worse job. I will agree that not everything he does these days is gold, but you pointed out him wrestling matches. Dude, he hasn't done that in over a year and the last time he did wrestle it was along with Flair to help Abyss and AJ Styles on the first Monday Impact (granted that was a failed experiment, but it was still an effort). Since then, Hogan's health has prevented him from wrestling and even his ego has not been big enough to defy the breaking down of his body.

Could we do with less of him on certain things, absolutely. However, I think you're oversimplifying things about Hogan's role in the business, he's never actually "retired" in the first place. He's announced hiatuses and he's feigned retirement (i.e. for that horrendous but yet amusing Fingerpoke of Doom angle that everyone takes too seriously) but he's never done anything like Terry Funk, Mick Foley or Ric Flair where he put his career on the line, lost the match and somehow came back.

I just think that needs to be pointed out, because even if Terry Bollea the person is not a person I am too fond of, I still appreciate his Hulk Hogan character and the fact that I think he gets a little too big of a bad rap here on the net.

So in closing if I am wrong please correct me but has Hogan ever played the same game with retiring and unretiring like Foley, Flair and Funk?

Honestly, I think a big part of it, something I haven't seen anyone mention yet, if the addiction. The high to be gotten from performing. From being that "artist". It's more than being in their blood. Its what they love to do most. It's being a character. Becoming something bigger and better than an average person. If you think about it, there's a kind of power that comes from performing. That power is the cause of the increase in the size of the ego of these men. Power from being able to defeat someone in front of others, or even the power being part of the reason another wrestler can get to where he is... there's power in putting people over and even in teaching and training those in the new school. Obviously the emphasis is on the power that feeds the ego. Everything comes down to power. Performing is their means of obtaining power. To retire is to let that power dwindle. And as we know, anyone with power get only get a similar high from keeping or increasing that power.
There are other ways in which the industry is addicting as well. Just about every factor you guys have listed can and has attributed to that addiction, many never get past that withdrawal. I can just imagine Ric Flair having night terrors; shaking and sweating and spontaneously screaming "WOOOO" in his sleep from wrestling withdrawal. Picks up the phone at 3AM to call TNA. "I need a fix! Get me a contract!" :banghead:

Woah Woah Woah Woah Woah! Who do you think you are telling guys when they should retire? Are you kidding me? These give their lives and talents to us for entertainment! I honestly couldn't disagree with you more. I think that guys like Hogan and Flair can do whatever the heck they want, they have earned that right! And to be honest i LOVE having Hogan and Flair on TV. I dont know if you grew up with them but I did. These guys were some of my heroes for nostalgic sake I love it!

And one more thing! Like someone said in this post it is all they know and to be honest if you were doing something and all you knew was that one thing you would want to stick with it too! These guys honestly love the business so much or else they would never stick around this long. Say what you want about egos but I will tell you this, Hogan is one of the nicest guys i have ever met I have had a personal conversation with him about him coming back and always being involved with pro wrestling and believe it if you will or not but he loves his fans more than you will ever know. He has sacrificed his life basically to bring you entertainment. When these guys are one the road 300 days out of the year they dont get to be with their family or friends they have to give it up and make the choice to wrestle! The only guys that i know that would do for so long really care about what they are doing! Hogan loves to hear the Hogan chant! Hulkamania will NEVER die and i am glad because people like you that want to rid the wrestling business of Hogan and Flair and guys like that are just pathetic and want to be cool and say that hogan needs to leave. Well you know what Wrestling wouldnt be anything like it is today without Hogan and Flair. Personally the guys like Taker, Hogan, Flair, HHH, deserve to be in wrestling whenever they want.

Woah Woah Woah Woah Woah! Who do you think you are telling guys when they should retire? Are you kidding me? These give their lives and talents to us for entertainment! I honestly couldn't disagree with you more. I think that guys like Hogan and Flair can do whatever the heck they want, they have earned that right! And to be honest i LOVE having Hogan and Flair on TV. I dont know if you grew up with them but I did. These guys were some of my heroes for nostalgic sake I love it!

And one more thing! Like someone said in this post it is all they know and to be honest if you were doing something and all you knew was that one thing you would want to stick with it too! These guys honestly love the business so much or else they would never stick around this long. Say what you want about egos but I will tell you this, Hogan is one of the nicest guys i have ever met I have had a personal conversation with him about him coming back and always being involved with pro wrestling and believe it if you will or not but he loves his fans more than you will ever know. He has sacrificed his life basically to bring you entertainment. When these guys are one the road 300 days out of the year they dont get to be with their family or friends they have to give it up and make the choice to wrestle! The only guys that i know that would do for so long really care about what they are doing! Hogan loves to hear the Hogan chant! Hulkamania will NEVER die and i am glad because people like you that want to rid the wrestling business of Hogan and Flair and guys like that are just pathetic and want to be cool and say that hogan needs to leave. Well you know what Wrestling wouldnt be anything like it is today without Hogan and Flair. Personally the guys like Taker, Hogan, Flair, HHH, deserve to be in wrestling whenever they want.

You're an idiot, plain and simple. I never discredited what he's done, but he shouldn't be taking up airtime when people like Samoa Joe aren't even on TV. I'm pathetic? No, no, your hero Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair, moreso Flair, they're pathetic. They're sapping TNA of their lifeblood to stick their asses into economic comfort. They don't care about the business and more importantly, they don't care about YOU. They only care that they're getting their money and that their ego is stroked. At some point and time, years ago, they were damn good at what they did and they impacted the business profoundly, but they're only toying with the fans today. They're not putting their best foot forward, they're only there to make money. Simple.

I am with you on a lot of things that you said about Hogan's ego, in fact even the staunchest fans of the Hulk Hogan character myself included would be downright ignorant and silly to not concede that the man has a very high opinion of himself. I am not saying that he's right for doing that, but he is Hulk Hogan and with his standing in the business he can get away with that attitude, not saying that's a good thing, but just making an observation.

However, I have to point out that even with the amount of segments he has on TV and the fact that his promos are a little too rough and old school for some of today's audience he could be doing a worse job. I will agree that not everything he does these days is gold, but you pointed out him wrestling matches. Dude, he hasn't done that in over a year and the last time he did wrestle it was along with Flair to help Abyss and AJ Styles on the first Monday Impact (granted that was a failed experiment, but it was still an effort). Since then, Hogan's health has prevented him from wrestling and even his ego has not been big enough to defy the breaking down of his body.

Could we do with less of him on certain things, absolutely. However, I think you're oversimplifying things about Hogan's role in the business, he's never actually "retired" in the first place. He's announced hiatuses and he's feigned retirement (i.e. for that horrendous but yet amusing Fingerpoke of Doom angle that everyone takes too seriously) but he's never done anything like Terry Funk, Mick Foley or Ric Flair where he put his career on the line, lost the match and somehow came back.

I just think that needs to be pointed out, because even if Terry Bollea the person is not a person I am too fond of, I still appreciate his Hulk Hogan character and the fact that I think he gets a little too big of a bad rap here on the net.

So in closing if I am wrong please correct me but has Hogan ever played the same game with retiring and unretiring like Foley, Flair and Funk?

Well yeah, Hogan hasn't wrestled in a while, but it is a general observation. I appreciate what he has done, but at this point I don't like the man. He's dragging the business down over in TNA. He claims that he is the "Head of Creative," he gets a huge contract when he doesn't deserve it. Same with Flair.

Also, when you say he's never retired you're proving my point. That's the problem. Why is he still around? His back has given out on him, he's had like 3 surgeries in the last year, but he still hasn't retired. Sure, he may be addicted to wrestling, but he doesn't love it anymore. He's only doing it for himself.

I agree with ur other points. But the Hogan $$ thing I must step in. He has had a very nasty divorce. His son wreck. And poor managment of money has taken its toll on his $$.

What Flair is doing is absurd. He can still be around and be relevant but he chooses to wrestle and bleed like a stuck pig each time. To him he may feel he is going above and beyond for the company. But doesnt need to. His promos are the best and he should stick to those.

And I have a ? Do you guys think HBK will remain out of action? :confused:

First off, no pension, these guys need money to pay for all medicine to pay for the repeated injuries the took over the years. Second, I enjoy seeing these guys from time to time, They are more entertaining promo wise compared to Joe, and the Hardys. I had a conversation at C2E2 today with someone in the business, and he explained that wrestling should have a mix of young, but the old guys have so much that improves the product. Look at WWE now, with the Rock and SCSA back for now, how much are tey and teh King Jerry Lawler adding to the show? The old guys need to be around to teach the young guys and show them how it is done.

I agree with ur other points. But the Hogan $$ thing I must step in. He has had a very nasty divorce. His son wreck. And poor managment of money has taken its toll on his $$.

Okay. The money thing wasn't the foundation of my argument, it was his ego. But fair points raised about Hogan's personal situation. However as you said "poor management of money" that supports my second point within my original post. But step in at anytime you want, just read my post first.

And I have a ? Do you guys think HBK will remain out of action?

Difficult one. As history clearly shows, and as we're discussing within this very thread, retirement in wrestling can never be taken for granted. I honestly believe that HBK will stay out of action. But there's two types of action...full time in ring schedule or sporadic appearances. I believe he will make sporadic appearances here or there with a Sweet Chin Music or two delivered to deserving heels, but not a regular competitive schedule.

Very interesting stuff.

As the 2 biggest examples in this thread appear to be Hogan and Flair, I'll address those first:

Having had the impact on a business like these guys clearly have the combination of reasons mentioned all factor into the circumstances that keep them in the business, but also point to why retiring does seem like the best thing.

Simply put they can't do this forever. Hogan is in no shape to compete and while it has been said of Flair that he will likely die in the ring, after what happened to Misawa in Japan, I'm almost willing to believe it. Regardless of our opinions of them their passion for the business is certainly unquestionable, egos aside. Would it be better for them physically to not be performing? Absolutely, though mainly this refers to Flair at this point.

Not having any sort of retirement plan makes matters worse, and I can't imagine this lifestyle teaches much about how to manage money. It's very sad that at this point either of these guys really need to consider this an option for financial reasons. I still maintain however, that Both could have stayed in the WWE working behind the scenes or in a training or ambassador capacity. Here I think is where ego comes in with both. I'm simply not sure that being in wrestling in any capacity that they could resist the spotlight they've known for so very long.

But currently I feel it's to the detriment of their chosen promotion. TNA made a move I have no doubt other companies would have made in acquiring them. After all, how could you fail with two true legends in the business? And who is to say whether they should just fade away?

Sadly while they do have far better skills on the mic, and Flair still has skill in the ring, it's not giving the younger, less visible performers quite rub I imagine many hoped it would. And it does take away from time the talent needs to get their in ring work over. So it may not help as much as it hinders.

But if they're predicaments are what many are saying and they simply can't afford to stop working in some capacity it's hard to knock them for that alone. Add to that both being accustomed to being in the spotlight most of their careers and you have something I suspect wouldn't be easily solved by simply firing them.

Sorry if I've meandered a bit but the both of them and TNA are quite linked of late so it's difficult to address one without the other.

The closest to a system of retirement that appears to exist in the industry in general is the WWE's method of using the older talent as bookers, road agents, refs, and numerous other capacities. They can still make a living without literally risking life and limb. But since it's still work it doesn't really qualify.

But it's still better than where Hogan and Flair appear to be stuck.

Flair should have retired years ago, at the end of WCW at the latest, but he went to the WWE. Even in Evolution, you could tell he just wasn't fit to be in the ring.

You got a point in the fact that I don't want to see Flair wrestle after the match with HBK at WM. But to say he shouldn't have wrestled after WCW is a joke. I don't know about you but I loved the Flair vs. Taker match at WM 18, seeing Flair vs. HHH on Raw, and I payed money to see him fight the Big Show for the ECW Title. My point is that if people pay to see a guy wrestle who are you to say no. I think the whole retirement match people take too seriously. People everyday in all walks of live come out of retirement, I never heard people bitch after Macho Man lost to the Warrior, then a couple years later was WCW Champ. Either enjoy it and pay to watch it or turn the channel and don't shell out the money.

The main point here is that people in question choose not too... because the grim reality is that to be a successful pro wrestler in that era required a certain amount of dysfunctionality...

It required "paying your dues" or being beaten to a pulp... Guys like Hogan, Flair et al got stretched, broken and battered on the way up by older men who saw it as the only way to be... if you were going to take their spot, you were going to earn it... in blood... They were sacrificing college careers, parental support, normality for a circus where there were no guarantees... When there, you were measured on partying harder than the next guy...

Today, totally different, Rock changed the bar entirely... raised it by not only being 2nd generation, ridiculously naturally gifted... but being a successful college player, having his degree, not "needing" wrestling or "wanting it" in the same way his predecessors had, nor having to fight for it the same way... look at today, you have guys like Swagger or Kofi can walk out on Wall Street for wrestling after being able to pay for the training on their salaries and make it to the main event within 3 years... It still took Flair, Funk, Sting... et al years more of toil in the ring... Most of the guys mentioned should have retired younger and fitter... some of their successors are doing so... and richer and smarter... but while people like Dixie Carter are playing at being wrestling promoters and throwing money around, the "gimme culture" will always be there... A Wrestling Match is minutes of your life for a big return financially and emotionally... not only are you earning but you are being made to feel like a god for those minutes... Who really wants to give that up? Maybe they ARE trying to save the biz by saying "THIS is how much we love what we do... We are willing to die for it."

And not all guys of an age should retire... Even now Finlay has something to offer... but his best skill is training then putting those guys he trained over... but most of the guys who should of retired didn't make the right choice... had Hogan decided in 93 to become a trainer/booker and never wrestle, he would have been remarkable but he took the money and continues to do so... same for Funk or Flair...even Bret got seduced...

In professional wrestling, there seems to be an unfortunate pattern of older wrestlers, who just cannot give up on wrestling. Today, some prime examples of that would have to be Scott Hall, Hulk Hogan, and Ric Flair, but historically there are many others, such as Terry Funk. That being said, would it be better if those guys just retired? I mean overall, throughout the history of wrestling, has it hurt or hindered wrestling when these types of guys have stuck around?

It definitely hurt wrestling, the way I see it. Terry Funk has been wrestling retirement matches for the last 20 years, it just puts a stain on the face of pro wrestling, especially when these guys start talking about all the injuries they have sustained over time. It makes it seem as if the companies are at fault, when in all honesty it is the wrestlers themselves. Some people feel bad for Flair, Hogan, or Funk, personally I believe it is their own fault. Flair should have retired years ago, at the end of WCW at the latest, but he went to the WWE. Even in Evolution, you could tell he just wasn't fit to be in the ring. The ability to be able to let go is certainly very useful, throughout history there have been guys who should have retired but didn't, but had they been able to let go of wrestling, they wouldn't have caused this stain on the face of the game.

Thoughts?

I don't think it hurts the game. Look at it this way, none of the guys you mentioned are involved with WWE programming. When they were last used on the biggest stage, it was done in a way that allowed them to stick around, but not take up the top spots.

While in WCW, that did take place, it's not happening now.

The reason they don't walk away is because most wrestlers aren't good with their money. They don't want to keep wrestling, some of them. They need to. They have bills, kids, child support payments, ex-wives. So much.

Some, however, just love the thrill. It's been said to be addictive.

When you look at basketball and football, we've seen this happen a lot. Michael Jordan came out of retirement, furthering an already perfect career--then he came back and proved that even Air Jordan can age. Scottie Pippen tried to come back, only making it into the minor leagues, and becoming the butt of jokes from Charles Barkley. (Whom quipped, "I wanna come back, too! But when someone retires, it means they can't play anymore.) Brett Favre... let's not go there.

Why does an athlete want to come back?

1) Unfinished business.
Michael Jordan is the greatest example of that. He left the NBA in his prime, tried to play baseball, and came back to kick more butt. Shawn Michaels came back after nearly a decade of absence, and had a comeback equally as awesome as Air Jordan's first comeback. Some athletes keep returning because they believe in their mind that they can do it again. But then again, there's only one Michael Jordan. There is only one Shawn Michaels. And the rest are finding that out.

2) Ten years of education = doctor. Too bad it doesn't translate to the real world.
When Tully Blanchard left WWF, and WCW pulled back on their deal, there was nowhere Blanchard could go. He was a Horseman, a master technician in the ring, and toured the world as a champion. But suddenly his wrestling career was done, and he had to fall in line to get a job like you and me. What he found is despite all the time he spent on TV, and in front of millions of people, he still couldn't find someone to hire him. The only job skill he had was to wrestle. He had a notorious drug problem at the time, and wrestling didn't want him back. Lucky for Tully, he found a new career in evangelism. But some wrestlers just can't succeed at anything else other than wrestling. The head Horsemen himself, Ric Flair, owned car dealerships, a finance loan company, amongst other things, and none of it brought him the paycheck that wrestling did. And it's sad. Some of the boys have spent their lives defining their wrestling craft, never preparing for a future away from it...

3) Money talks
Let's face it, if an old man had a choice between a Social Security check, or a check from Vince McMahon or Dixie Carter... It's not a hard choice to make. When a wrestling personality is paid well, he is paid well. Think back to the 90s, when MTV did a special on wrestling and showing a broke Tony Atlas. All it took was one comedy role and a trademark laugh to get Tony a decent check for a time--and it was better money than he was making on the indys and his day job (if he had one).

4) We paid to see these old stars. And if you don't believe it, just ask them.
Restating the obvious. Kevin Nash still thinks it's 1997. Jeff Jarrett never really drew a dime, but can say he did because he founded the company. And Buff Bagwell still thinks he's a huge star--one that never got a fair push--and if you don't believe that, just ask them. Joanie Laurer wants to wrestle Snooki at WrestleMania, and the offices in Stamford don't care. Some people still hear the pop of the crowd that happened too long ago. I guess they know more about the audience than the audience.

Why old timers need to retire​

1) I didn't pay for them. Did you?
Most of the wrestling audience today were not around for Ric Flair and the Horsemen's run in 1985. Most of the wrestling audience were not even around for the first WrestleMania. So why book Flair in the main event? This generation's idea of wrestling is Shawn Michaels, Triple H, the Hardys, Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, etc. The only tenured veteran left that can still draw is The Undertaker--and he wisely doesn't work a full schedule. These veterans are fools to think they can get the same money they got in the 70s, 80s, and 90s--not with the locker room of boys that are REALLY putting asses in seats, and deserve to get paid.

2) Their mind is saying yes, but their body says no.
These old timers think wrestling is fun--and for them it is. Okay, it was cool to see Ricky Steamboat wrestle a few times, in recent years. But I cringed when I saw Jimmy Snuka try to wrestle Chris Jericho. Thank God he didn't take to the top rope. Not to mention how disgusting it is to look at Roddy Piper in trunks these days. We fans do pay to see these legends, but what we don't realize is that we paid for the match we saw in 1993. And we're not gonna get it. Bret Hart vs. Vince McMahon at WrestleMania proved that you can never go home. I am a huge fan of the Hitman, but it's pointless to put him anywhere near a ring. He couldn't even equal the same performance as he did against Bob Backlund. And it ends up becoming a waste of our money.

Why legends are useful in wrestling

1) A generation is never ushered someone brings the torch
Ric Flair spent the past two decades in WCW and WWE putting over a lot of stars. He wrestled guys like Kurt Angle, Big Show, Umaga, Rico Constantino, Shane Douglas, and Buff Bagwell--and he put them over like a businessman. Some wrestlers capitalized and became someone, and some of them never made it other than that one win over Flair. But the bottom line is, if a rookie beats a legend, he beat someone and the fans have a better chance to connect to him. It's silly for Flair to be in the main event, anymore. But just to be in the ring with Flair is good for any wrestler that needs a reputation.

2) No experience necessary. The best training is on-the-job training.
The modern wrestling culture is designed to put guys on TV before they are ready. There's nothing we can do about that. A lot of the stars that were around seven years ago are leaving, or are gone. We need new stars, NOW. And despite the efforts of OVW, FCW, etc. there is nothing a farm system can do to replace the education of working on the road. It's a good thing there are guys like Arn Anderson, Sean Morley, Bill DeMott, and Dave Finlay backstage. These guys are the college professors of wrestling, and as good as they were in their heyday, their brains are useful now for a generation that needs to perform at their level. If they can get in the ring an put over a youngster, even better.

3) There's money to be made from the past.
The DVD, shirt, and merch sales of some of the legends are lucrative. But it puts wrestling in a corner, that if enough money is made off of a vintage wrestler... the fans and the company will sense a demand for "one more match". It may or may not be a good idea. But if that many people are paying for a DVD or T-Shirts... there is a clear message being sent from the fans.

What do I think?

Wrestling does need to embrace it's past. We have come far from a century ago, when Frank Gotch as a circus attraction. We now have multiple CDs of theme music, ties to movies, video games, and even have a wrestling company on the New York Stock Exchange. Tradition brought us to a great place.

But... if we were able to bring Frank Gotch back from the dead... would fans really want to see Frank Gotch wrestle a bear at WrestleMania? Most fans would be cheering for the bear. And you know it.

Sometimes the wrestlers, and not just them, but the fans and the promoters need to know when it is time to move on. The Rock, Steve Austin, and Chris Jericho understand that importance, as they have moved on to other interests and careers. Whether or not they succeed at their new occupations are not important--they have the liberty to pursue it because of wrestling, and they will never have to be "that one wrestler" that wrestling pushed away. It's nice to have a high school reunion every ten years... but every ten days will just bring back those old emotions that we outgrew.

Wrestling, as in life, has a beautiful history with a lot of amazing people that made those moments. But just like life, the best way for one to survive is to move on.

I think some of these guys just NEED to have the adoration of the crowd. Guys like Hogan and Flair spent so long in the spotlight, they feel the need to keep being the main event, and do not want the time to come where they are not the centre of attention.

Flair still trying to get in the ring and play the Nature Boy just screams "pathetic" to me. He had such a great time back in the day with the partying, the women, the titles and just seems like he is trying to keep those days going for ever, he cannot let go of it and refuses to accept that his days are over. He has nothing to replace the adoration of the crowd, with his personal life in shambles.

Same with Hogan. He has spent the last 30 years as a star. He doesn't want to give that up. As with Flair, Hogan's personal life has been a disaster over the last couple of years, leading him to marry a woman the same age as his daughter. He couldn't even stay out of the spotlight after retiring as a full time wrestler, he still had to have a reality show. He loves being the star that Vince made him. I do not think we will ever see Hogan stay away from the business permenantly.

Another reason that these guys continue going is for money. Wrestling can be a short career, and if you do not look after the money you make you are often forced to go out and perform way past your prime. In Hogan and Funk's case this isnt the reason, they are obviously well off...but for Flair it is also neccesity. Had he looked after the phenomenal money he was making in his prime, he would be set for life 20 years ago, but that isnt the Nature Boy's style. He wasted it all having a good time and now he has to keep dragging his old ass to the ring to pay the rent. He can do nothing else. Sad to see.

The final reason is simply that they love to wrestle and don't want to stop. Terry Funk isn't about hogging the spotlight like Hogan and Flair. He just loves to wrestle and to give the fans something to remember. I think he should have retired a long time ago instead of going into the barbaric matches he did, but he didnt need to do it. He wanted to do it, for the love of wrestling, the love of the business and to give the fans a show.

i don't think we will ever see HBK back in the ring. I think he is happy at home and doesn't need to do it for a living anymore. He can always work with Hunter and pick/train new talent.

as for why they don't retire, money, money, money. Most of the guys never had enough to retire on since until the monday night wars, most were not paid that well. when this is your job for 20 years, what else do you do? that is part of the reason why guys like flair still wrestle now - they need the money(even though the contracts pay a lot better today). most of them have nothing else to fall back on so they keep at it.

Because guys like Flair and Hogan need money after blowing it all or having their ex old ladies take it all. So what else are they going to do to make money? Roofing? Lay tile?

The Hogan-Flair-Bischoff conglomerate has hurt wrestling by its mere existence. Regardless of whether Hogan and Flair ever wrestle another match, they are sucking a once great TNA dry. Prior to their arrival, you had compelling pay-per-views virtually every month. Now you have PPV abominations like Victory Road 2011.:wtf:

Damn Hogan and Flair and their ageless self images. Damn Bischoff for being a mark for anything that walks on two legs and has wrinkles.

First off, funny how people are claiming that Hogan and Flair are ruining TNA... correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have a storyline right now centering around fortune and the young people IN immortal? Do you know what "Worked with Hogan" and "Worked with Flair" does for a young wrestler in the wrestling business? It brings their stock up by ten fold. Hogan and Flair are building talent. As for Bischoff, while he may not be the best money wise (nor is Heyman), it's a smart idea for a young up and coming writer to be around him. Bischoff knows ratings... he beat WWE 82 weeks in a row.

Secondly, to answer the topic, there's no telling. However, if you read Flair's autobiography and watch a lot of shoot interviews with the Legends, a lot of them will tell you that they're still wrestling to simply pay off debts. Flair, for example, was literally broke when he signed with WWE. He had absolutely nothing. He had to auction off a lot of his 64 custom made ring jackets just so he can pay back the money he owed. Hacksaw Jim Duggan had some of the same problems. The guy is still working the Southeastern region indies scene trying to survive. As are Robert Gibson, Ricky Morton, and a lot of other legends. And being that they don't know anything else, they have to keep wrestling.

Lastly, I honestly don't mind the legends being around. As someone said before, it benefits the new stars of wrestling for the legends to stay around. Where would Ric Flair be if Lou Thesz or Buddy Rogers hadn't worked with him in AWA? Where would Hulk Hogan be if Andre hadn't put him over at WrestleMania 3? Where would Edge be if people like Undertaker, Kane, and Shawn Michaels hadn't put him over? Where would Alberto Del Rio be without Christian, Rey Mysterio, or Edge?

Simply put, the young talent needs the veterans so they can learn from them and become better at what they do. I have absolutely no problem with legends... and whenever they WANT to retire, then they can. But nobody has the right to force someone to retire.

I agree with what you're saying. The temptation of "one more match" certainly must impact their decisions. I mean, Terry Funk has had about 7000 "one more matches." It's just too much for them to give up in all likelihood, personally I'd have a hard time going too if I had thousands of people chanting my name on a daily basis.

You also have to take into consideration one the reasons they come back is because they miss the locker room atmosphere, then of course they get in there, they see these the kids today doing there thing and suddenly they get bit by the wrestling bug again, and want to go out and show today's star "how it's done". I have often times heard people compare the business to that of a drug, it tears your body apart yet at the same time it's sooo hard to just quit it, and every so often they come back thinking I'll just get one last fix then...

Yes, but Hogan had a life outside of wrestling for a while there. He had his TV show, had other ventures to pursue, but when his family life came crumbling down he came back to wrestling. To me at least, it seems to be an outlet, a way to get their aggression out.

That's because Hogan is a god in the wrestling industry, I think for Hogan (as well as a few others) it has far more to do with stroking his ego than anything else, in the acting world Hogan is a fucking joke, but in wrestling people worship the ground the man walks on, plus the fact that at this point he can paid a shit load for doing next to nothing prolly helps too. Now if only he WOULD do next to nothing....

I definitely think that in today's world of wrestling we'll be seeing less of these cases. There's always other stuff for wrestlers to do. Well said.

In todays world wrestlers are listening to doctors more, saving their money and investing it more wisely and finding other avenues to peruse after their wrestling careers are over, I think the days of wrestlers over staying their welcome are coming to and end

You also have to take into consideration one the reasons they come back is because they miss the locker room atmosphere, then of course they get in there, they see these the kids today doing there thing and suddenly they get bit by the wrestling bug again, and want to go out and show today's star "how it's done". I have often times heard people compare the business to that of a drug, it tears your body apart yet at the same time it's sooo hard to just quit it, and every so often they come back thinking I'll just get one last fix then...

Exactly. It might not even be that they want to show them "how it's done," but rather that they don't want to be forgotten. They don't want their star to fade, as another star is being born, so they come back. Then again, in some cases it might really just be an addiction, because some legends of the game will go and wrestle high school gyms, just to get in there.

That's because Hogan is a god in the wrestling industry, I think for Hogan (as well as a few others) it has far more to do with stroking his ego than anything else, in the acting world Hogan is a fucking joke, but in wrestling people worship the ground the man walks on, plus the fact that at this point he can paid a shit load for doing next to nothing prolly helps too. Now if only he WOULD do next to nothing....

Oh yeah, it's Hogan's ego for sure. He wants to go out on top, even if it's not for the good of the company. The thing is, he's hurting his reputation as a "wrestling god" because of his actions. If only he would realize that a smaller, 100% backstage role would suit him best, his legacy might not be as tarnished as it is today.

In todays world wrestlers are listening to doctors more, saving their money and investing it more wisely and finding other avenues to peruse after their wrestling careers are over, I think the days of wrestlers over staying their welcome are coming to and end

Definitely, I mean just last week, Edge retired. They're more intelligent with what they do. Ric Flair was a guy who lived like a self-professed "rock star," he's obviously not going to have the luxuries a wrestler from today has, because they're actually more intelligent about it.

I haven't bothered reading all of it and I'm sure this has been said countless time but because it's well and truly in their blood. The same way rock stars will never truly retire. The rush etc is their crack they're addicted to it. Plus with Flair and Hogan they haven't exactly lived cheap lifestyles and companies will pay big bucks to have their name on the card.

It's sad but it is the way it is. Personally I hate seeing Flair like at Lockdown being spanked and having his arse on display to the arena. It's just well sad really considering I consider Flair the greatest of all time in terms of just pure all round ability and he's a shadow of that now. However at the same time he has earned the right to wrestle as long as he wants and any company in the world will give him that slot. Lets just hope we never see a wrestler style thing with one of these guys dying in the ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back