Why Cena Again?

mykeymayhem

Dark Match Winner
I get it, His foot was on the rope.
That doesn't mean he's got a re-match, if WWE is really serious about this reality era thing they have to start bumping this guy down on the card, especially after not 1 but 2 title losses to CM Punk.
This is part of the reason I hate the re-match clause in a contract.
It's always Cena vs. Random Heel for the title.
Before people blow there top off and say "yea but he's the face of the company." i have to say this, the WWE has enough guys around to fill the Cena void. This guy should trying to stay healthy for his match with the Rock at WM28 not in the main event of every pay-per-view wining and losing the title more times I can count.
I don't hate Cena. I just want WWE to give the guy a break.
Heal up some of that damage we all know he's got going on, and let someone else have a shot at the main event for a month or 2.
We all know he'll have the title by WM, Cena is built as a man of his word.

So am I off base here or do you see the same thing?
Who can carry a feud with del rio for a month or 2 while Cena takes a breather?
My choice would be Ray but I know he's on the shelf so I guess I have to go with JOMO here just because I think the matches would be great.
Bad for the mic work though as both del rio and JOMO can't talk at all.

You're completly right. I was expecting a Cena-bashing thread but you're 100% correct. I don't understand why Cena is going after Del Rio after... wasn't it CM Punk that beat Cena for the title and wasn't it Punk who got his title "stolen" by Del Rio?

Its because they have bigger plans for Punk. He doesn't need to hold the belt (although it would have been nice for him to hold it longer) but he captured the attention without it and he will keep it without it. Survivor Series is what they are building towards now. Triple H vs CM Punk. He isn't getting moved down on the card he is going into another high profile feud as the FACE so people be happy and stop nitpicking. Cena is Cena he is going to be in this spot forever. Hell in 2010 for the majority of the year he was feuding with Rookies. I'm no Cena fan but I understand why he is in the position he is in.

Its because they have bigger plans for Punk. He doesn't need to hold the belt (although it would have been nice for him to hold it longer) but he captured the attention without it and he will keep it without it. Survivor Series is what they are building towards now. Triple H vs CM Punk. He isn't getting moved down on the card he is going into another high profile feud as the FACE so people be happy and stop nitpicking. Cena is Cena he is going to be in this spot forever. Hell in 2010 for the majority of the year he was feuding with Rookies. I'm no Cena fan but I understand why he is in the position he is in.

I never said throw punk in there with del rio. I just said Cena deserves and needs a break to heal up before WM28. I'm standing up for Cena here...also while he dose that someone else (not punk or cena) should get a shot.

While I agree Cena taking a short break from the title picture could be good, it makes a lot more sense for Punk to go after Nash. Punk even said he's not mad at Del Rio. So it makes sense for Punk to go after Nash, solve that issue, then reclaim his title.

As for the title picture, I say putting Cena there right now is for the best. Have Cena and Del Rio feud for a couple months, and use this time to build a John Morrison, Jack Swagger, or Dolph Ziggler a little more. After Del Rio/Cena is over, Del Rio can move onto one of these guys who have been hot for a few months. I would put Rey in this category, but it looks as though his knee could prevent any long term plans for him.

The reason they keep throwing Cena in there is because they have no faith in other guys carrying the brand. Since the dumb idea to split the rosters all they've managed to do is limit storylines so they keep having to return to ol' reliable Cena. Honestly, I think Vince has lost his edge. He used to take a lot more risk on guys. I mean, who would've thought Austin would've been what he made him? He wasn't a huge musclebound Hogan prototype and it surprised me and probably a lot of others when Vince pushed him. Vince has always pushed the bigger build guys and that has to change for the sake of the business because the hard truth is most of the average build guys are working circles around them.

It's called moving onto a different feud. It wasn't exactly the smoothest transition, but at the end of the day this had to be done. Del Rio isn't ready to be at the top, and he needs another big name guy to help him through the process of one day main eventing on a consistent basis. He has the potential despite his mic skills. His in ring work more than makes up for it.

John Cena can get people over like nobody can. Hes the only guy who has a real bone to pick with Del Rio now that Punk has his hands tied and Rey is injured. Jomo is still going on with the R-Truth thing and theres nobody else on the roster worthy of a title shot. I dont mind Cena being in the main event. I mind him being champion because thats the only real way he holds people back. If Del Rio is going to be a bigger and better champ at the ends of this then I could care less what Cena's doing.

The reason they keep throwing Cena in there is because they have no faith in other guys carrying the brand. Since the dumb idea to split the rosters all they've managed to do is limit storylines so they keep having to return to ol' reliable Cena. Honestly, I think Vince has lost his edge. He used to take a lot more risk on guys. I mean, who would've thought Austin would've been what he made him? He wasn't a huge musclebound Hogan prototype and it surprised me and probably a lot of others when Vince pushed him. Vince has always pushed the bigger build guys and that has to change for the sake of the business because the hard truth is most of the average build guys are working circles around them.
That's about where you lost me. Do the following names mean anything:

Bret Hart
Shawn Michaels
Randy Savage
Chris Benoit
Eddie Guerrero
Mick Foley
Edge

I wouldn't call any of them "bigger build guys." They were all about the same size as Stone Cold and all got pretty big pushes. Bret and Shawn were the face of the company, just like Austin was.

I won't say that Vince doesn't have a history of pushing larger guys, but Austin isn't the anomaly you're making him out to be,

I never said throw punk in there with del rio. I just said Cena deserves and needs a break to heal up before WM28. I'm standing up for Cena here...also while he dose that someone else (not punk or cena) should get a shot.

Because they fear real change. and who on the raw roster is prime to take that spot of #1 contender til december?

I want to so bad see Miz vs Alberto Del Boring.

Im surprised no one has said Miz as lots of people talk about seeing this feud happening. I would see Miz come out and turn him self face as he is getting some nice pops and yes he gets boo'd but turn him face and it can be a good feud.

Miz is the better talker and can do most of the mic work even though i don't like Del BoreO he could cut an ok promo and they could mesh some creative things up. An they could put on some good matches as well as Miz has improved a lot in the ring as of late. May not carry a match yet but him an ADR can have some good chemistry if given time.

I really wanna see this match happen as Cena deserves his well needed time off. The guy is an addict to working which is fine but he's gonna end up like Hogan if he doesn't think long term health vs doing what he loves everyday.

I think this program would work and when cena comes back he could have his program with Del BoreO or Miz. That far I don't look into but damn I wanna see this happen an as I said I am not even a Del Rio fan.

Cena is there because he is the "stand-up" guy. Del Rio is that rich bastard that does whatever he can to get whatever he wants... Del Rio needs that strong contradiction to go against him. Cena is the reliable figure.
John Morrison can't do it cause he's just not a big enough name. Like someone else said, they both have really bad mic skills.
The Miz can't do it cause that would turn him face. They won't book a heel against a heel without turning one of them.
R Truth is also a heel but wrapped up in the JoMo feud.
Honestly, all the names with any sense of being pushed are either involved in a storyline right now or they just don't bring enough of a fan base to the main event.

I agree with the OP that Cena needs a break, he needs time to heal. Maybe they can give him time when the Mexico tour is over and Punk can replace him long enough for him to have that break.
However, whatever their intentions may be, Cena is the only legitimate person to put into this position at this point in time.

That doesn't mean he's got a re-match, if WWE is really serious about this reality era thing they have to start bumping this guy down on the card, especially after not 1 but 2 title losses to CM Punk.
Before people blow there top off and say "yea but he's the face of the company." i have to say this, the WWE has enough guys around to fill the Cena void. This guy should trying to stay healthy for his match with the Rock at WM28 not in the main event of every pay-per-view wining and losing the title more times I can count.
Heal up some of that damage we all know he's got going on, and let someone else have a shot at the main event for a month or 2.

My choice would be Ray but I know he's on the shelf so I guess I have to go with JOMO here just because I think the matches would be great.

Do you really think people would buy a ppv headlined by John Morrison and Alberto Del Rio? The reason Cena isn't taking a break is because they need him. I'm sure Vince would love to rest up his top guy before Mania and he just may do that. But to start dropping Cena down the card for no reason weakens Cena and weakens the Wrestlemania 28 main event. Another reason is they need him to be in the main event atleast until Survivor Series when the Rock makes his next visit to the world of pro rasslin. After that they probably will give Cena some time to rest up, but it's crucial they keep him relevant. And then back to the original reason... Del Rio is a weak champion with no mainstream awareness. Finding someone else the general public has never heard of to fight him on pay-per-view probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Just wanna say Al"BORE"to Del Rio sounds better than Del boreto but anyway I was pretty pissed when I saw Cena come out on Raw. Im sick of Cena in the title picture and in general. Cena is EXTREMELY stale and if he cares about the business like he said he should do something about it. They need to push another face on Raw if theyre gonna keep Punk tied up in this Nash/HHH angle.

I makes more sense for CM Punk's character to not care as much about the title as being screwed by one of the boys because he's an idealist. Cena is the company man, he cares more about the integrity of the title.

Saying you'd rather see JoMO because "I think the matches would be great" is an awful reason. May as well let a mark book the matches they think they want to see. JoMo isn't anywhere near as over as a babyface returning from injury against a hot heel should be and he is sloppy and incoherant in the ring unless he's being led.

Cena is the top guy, he should be in the top feud. It's his job to not get injured and to do this. Main event guys have 2 jobs, be safe, and get over.

WWE does not really have enough guys to fill the void. No one else draws that much. What else would you do with Cena? Punk and Cena are both a lot more over than the rest of the roster, especially the babyface side. Punk's character is in a war of ideals, so that leaves Cena.

I realize that you guys in general think it would be more fresh if Cena was elsewhere, but what you'd really get is an underwhelming Cena feud (because if one guy is a lot more over than another, it's a boring, one sided feud), and you'd get a world title feud that wasn't that over.

Asking for Cena to not be in the title picture is like asking to bat your best hitter somewhere besides 3rd. You can move him to 4th in the lineup (next best feud) if you have someone else (CM Punk in this case), but you pretty much always want to maximize your production in baseball and in wrestling. They don't just throw guys in spots when they aren't over enough just for the fuck of it.

Just wanna say Al"BORE"to Del Rio sounds better than Del boreto but anyway I was pretty pissed when I saw Cena come out on Raw. Im sick of Cena in the title picture and in general. Cena is EXTREMELY stale and if he cares about the business like he said he should do something about it. They need to push another face on Raw if theyre gonna keep Punk tied up in this Nash/HHH angle.
They are trying. Someone doesn't get over because they win titles, because they're in the title picture, or because they get a lot of clean wins. It works the opposite. You get over, then you get put in the title picture. Pushing a guy who's not over to the title picture just wastes time (and money).

It's bad business to push Cena aside. If Cena was as stale as you think, then he wouldn't be their biggest draw. It's not his fault that no one else can draw.

I think really only the Miz could take his spot for a few months.

Cena in the title picture is good business. Then again, you have a bunch of Rock/Austin shit so I have a pretty good idea as to the type of show you like/think you want to see.

Cena defiantly needs a break, it doesnt matter how important his role is if he shows up at wrestlemania injured...what would you all do then??? That's what I thought.... Booking a match a year in advance and then having to call it off after everyone has been waiting for it is the biggest mistake. Cena needs a break, the company can and will survive without him... There will always be somebody to step up and take on the big role. At the moment if there was somebody to replace Cena.... I would've said Edge :( but he isn't here so I would say The Miz. He mainevented the previous Wrestlemania as WWE Champion which is an impressive accomplishment and he has been great in the mic and in the ring. He would do great... But unfortunately Cena wont be getting a break any time soon and The Miz wont be getting that chance, because The Rock is booked for Survivor Series... So Cena is most likely going to win the title back from Del Rio and then The Rock vs Cena feud once again heats up......

The way I see it is WWE really has only two options right now to keep CENA from getting stale, or even more stale than he already is.

1. You are absolutely right. The "WWE UNIVERSE" needs a Cena break. Even if it is only until Survivor Series. If WWE wants to keep Cena a fan favorite face, they need to give the guy a break and allow some other stars to test the waters of stardom, **Cough** Zach Ryder **Cough**

2. Turn him Heel. Look the winds of change are upon the WWE whether they like it or not, and this situation seems very simular to the one Bret Hart found himself in back in late 96/ early 97. Bret chose to turn heel after speaking with Vince Mcmahon, and he rode it out and made very entertaining television during his heel run. Cena can either choose to turn heel, or with the way the WWE is changing, the WWE fan base could choose for him by simply booing everything he does. Cena always got boos from portions of the audience, but as of late, he seems to be getting more and more boos. The crowd wants to boo him it seems. So it would only make sense to give the fans what they want.

Why Cena again? Well, for one thing, it makes sense. John Cena did wind up getting "screwed" out of the WWE Championship due to a mistake made by Triple H as the ref.

Another reason is that the WWE is in the process of really cementing CM Punk as a long term, big name player. Punk's program with Kevin Nash could lead to something of an angle in which CM Punk is feuding with the powers that be, similar to Austin vs. McMahon, with Nash currently playing the role of an enforcer for the group. Punk has 2 mostly clean wins over Cena in huge ppv matches, so they can pick their feud up at a later date without really losing any momentum. Del Rio is WWE Champion and his first opponent needs to be someone huge like Cena.

Another reason why it's Cena is because Cena can get people over. The IWC can bitch all the want about him, but the man can deliver crowd reaction and interest like very few others. Del Rio is also the kind of heel WWE Champion that we haven't seen in WWE for a while. Since Del Rio has been in WWE, he's been a heel that wins most of his matches clean. I've got no problem with the cowardly, smarmy & arrogant heel but Del Rio is a nice change from that. In the week he's been WWE Champion, Del Rio has won two great, competitive matches against Rey Mysterio & Daniel Bryan respectively cleanly.

On top of that, maybe it'll be revealed at some point that Del Rio, Nash & Triple H are all in something of an alliance? Still some unanswered questions regarding that whole situation and those questions do pertain to Cena, at least to some degree.

Cena draws. The other faces on Raw currently do not. I like Morrison as much as the next guy and would like to see him pushed to the WWE title scene but Cena VS Del Rio would sell more PPV buys than Morrison VS Del Rio would. They could try Rey I suppose.... Punk is supposedly going to feud with Trips in the fall but that doesn't mean he and Del Rio can't feud a little first. They could even have Miz go for the title. Between Morrison, Miz, and Punk that gives them at least 3 PPV's where Cena could rest and not have to be in the title match. I don't see that happening though because the man draws more than anyone else in WWE right now and when it comes down to it, they want PPV buys to increase in the end rather than give others a shot.

I wouldn't be surprised if WWE had planned on Punk going on to face Nash and Del Rio going on to feud with Rey, giving Cena time off. With Rey being more injured than Cena, WWE got put in a bind and has to step in to be that guy to feud with Del Rio.

In doing this though, WWE has to make the decision to either make Del Rio a transitional champion and lose to Cena after 1 month, or have Cena lose 3 straight PPV Championship matches. I don't think Cena would be hurt too much by this, but can anybody recall the last time Cena lost 3 straight PPV matches?

You can't say "lets give Cena off so he doesn't get hurt before Mania". His job is to not get hurt and he's mostly done this in his career. They trust him. May as well just make sure the entire roster takes it easy so you actually have a mania. Or don't let Punk wrestle much because if he gets hurt and has to take time off, it'll kill his momentum. It's not a good excuse because it's Cena's job to not get hurt.

The reason is lack of main event depth currently in the WWE. Orton is on SD, Punk is working an angle with Nash/HHH. Rey already has had a few matches with Del Rio, plus his knee is an issue. They didn't give him a singles match at SS because of it.

Del Rio might be champion but he is not an established star in the WWE. He needs to be working with the high profile superstars. Putting ADR in a program with someone like Morrison would be a disaster. It will end up hurting Del Rio's title reign more than helping.

I think really only the Miz could take his spot for a few months.

Cena in the title picture is good business. Then again, you have a bunch of Rock/Austin shit so I have a pretty good idea as to the type of show you like/think you want to see.

I could see Miz taking his spot cause Miz is entertaining unlike Cena. And why is Cena in the title picture good business? During that whole Nexus angle the WWE didn't go to shit just because Cena wasn't in the title picture. And what type of show do you think I want to see? A show with good wrestling matches and two larger than life guys who lead the WWE/F. I have that Rock/Austin shit on there cause thats what my childhood was. Good wrestling matches with backstory and character development. I loved Cena, but when you have the same character for six years in a row it gets a little bad. It won't effect business and It definitely effects the entertainment.

That's about where you lost me. Do the following names mean anything:

Bret Hart
Shawn Michaels
Randy Savage
Chris Benoit
Eddie Guerrero
Mick Foley
Edge

I wouldn't call any of them "bigger build guys." They were all about the same size as Stone Cold and all got pretty big pushes. Bret and Shawn were the face of the company, just like Austin was.

I won't say that Vince doesn't have a history of pushing larger guys, but Austin isn't the anomaly you're making him out to be,

Although I agree with you 100%, the big thing you are forgetting is the whole steroid issues WWE had in the 90s, which pretty much forced Vince to push smaller, more normal looking guys, rather then the big steroid freaks. The only name on that list that was big during the steroid era was Randy Savage. Vince still prefers bigger guys, but he certainly come around to the fact that smaller guys can still be pretty damn entertaining. However, he still PREFERS big guys.

Anyways, onto the issue at hand. For the first time in a very, VERY long time, WWE has more then one feud I am interested in, which is pretty shocking. I think both Cena and Punk are feuding the right people too and this is why.

First off, Cena feuding with Del Rio will be great for Del Rio (although I am personally not a huge fan of Del Rio yet). Cena will help put Del Rio over and help him climb the ladder to the main event. We all know Vince thinks very highly of Del Rio, so I highly doubt we will see Cena squash him.

As for Punk. His spot as one of the faces of the company is still up in the air. He certainly a lifetime main event superstar now. He proved that. However, the next step for him is to get on the same level as guys like Cena, Hogan, Austin, etc. Having Punk feud with Del Rio wouldn't do that. If anything it would be a step back. Punk feuding with Nash though is a step in the right direction. Punk defeating a wrestling legend will be great for his career, plus I think it will lead to an amazing feud with Triple H. WWE is lining up Punk for at least a good solid 6 months of main event feuds. Del Rio and Cena will be over in a few months and then WWE will say "what do we do with them now." That won't happen with Punk with the path that he is on.

I'm honestly amazed how much the people who dislike Cena are worried about his health. I'm also sure Vince would be thrilled that some of you would buy a ppv main evented by Del Rio and The Miz, I guess Miz would have to go from being an outspoken heel to a full baby face in three weeks and then become a top draw in the process, but hey... if that's possible I'm down. I also know that Cena's critics are smarter than the entire WWE creative team. I mean, here they are booking the Rock to help promote what they hope will be the biggest ppv attraction in history which completely screws up the WWE's plan to rest Cena by dropping him out of the title picture or further down the card as the OP stated (Most of you overlooked that). But don't worry Vince, you can still rest Cena because as one poster mentioned you still have Zack Ryder! I feel much better about the main event picture now. It's not enough for people who don't like Cena that WWE is actually trying to push other guys like Punk and Danial Bryan over on SD. Hell, even fake Sin Cara is getting pushed. But no... they're not happy with that. They won't be happy until they log on to WZ.com to see John Cena has been future end... oops wait. WWE owns that term now... Let's just say his release from the WWE would be the only way to satisfy some of you. I'm sure some Colts fans are begging for the much needed Peyton Manning release, because let's face it... All those TDs and wins are getting stale. It's time to give the less talented backup a chance, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back