Who is the Face of TNA?

Once upon a time, I'd say Jeff Jarrett and AJ Styles were the faces of the company.

That is not good.
The Hogan era has ruined all of that.
Maybe, Jeff Jarrett losing his company power had something to do that....Oh wait, It had everything to do with that.
TNA has so many unfinished storylines out there that no one man or woman can be seen as the face of the company.
Explain. This is totally off.

They've had plenty of unfinished storylines...Which has happend when Jarrett had control of the company. Fail.
This is very sad because it shows no direction what so ever! I think Velvet Sky is as much the face of the company as any of the men wrestling there today!
No direction? Are you living in 2007 or 2011? There is plenty of direction right now.

well atlest TNA fans have stoped calling TNA the new WCW lol there guys from WCW but there far from ever being that good of a show !! when nash hall and xpac dont want to work for you anymore your in the toilet and now add mick foley to that list.

I don't there really is a FACE of TNA.

Raw is the John Cena show. The is built around him and if he suddenly were injured and had to be off TV for several months that show falls apart for a while. Same with Randy Orton on smackdown. Take Orton away and what else do you really have? That show is screwed without Orton. They would eventually build someone else to take the spot but imagine how you'd react if you heard that Cena or Orton were injured and will miss 10 months.

There's no one like that in TNA. There is no single person on the roster that if they were gone, I would think "Uh oh, this show is screwed now. They are in big trouble".

Why does the face have to be an originl? With the exception of Sting in WCW all other federations have gone through many faces. WWF/WWE started with Hogan and through the years it changed from Hart, Michaels, Taker, Austin, Rock, HHH, Cena and Orton. That's seven guys who weren't orginals. ECW started with Dreamer, Taz, Sandman, Sabu and Shane. But by the end the face of ECW was a guy named RVD. Not an original. TNA may have started with AJ Styles and at a time he was the face of TNA. But is he really the face now? Who is the most popular wrestler in TNA? Sting, Kurt Angle hell even Hogan and he doesn't wrestle. If you were trying to sell TNA to someone what name would you use?

With that being said I'd like to throw out there the face of the company isn't always a wrestler in WCW it was but in WWF/WWE who is the first person that comes to mind? Vince McMahon. When you think ECW Paul Heyman. To me the real face of TNA has and always will be Jeff Jarret. He started this company and put it on his back and tried whatever he could to esablish a new generation. Such as AJ styles, Ron Killings, Samoa Joe, Daniels etc. he put his money on the line his blood his heart his soul. Dixe Carter may run it now but Jarret still has a stake in it. TNA was his baby, he's feuded with everyone whose ever stepped in that building and never burried his opponent. He tried to put them over and when you put someone over you have to beat them that way when they beat you it means so much more. He wore the title but never had a problem putting it on someone else in hopes that they could run with it. To me when I think TNA the one name/face that pops into my head will always be Jeff Jarret.

If the BS being spewed here doesn't show why WWE's monopoly over the wrestling business has turned smarks into morons, nothing will. Reader, I have a pop quiz for you.

* Who was the face of WCW?

* Who was the face of ECW?

* Who was the face of WCCW?

* Who was/is the face of ROH?

After answering all of that, ask yourself this afterwards:

* Was that face always the wrestler in the main event and the one with all of the emphasis from the company all the time?

Face it. Having a wrestler who holds a major influence in the company be the one who's always headlining PPV's and making all the major appearances and such is something only done by the WWE. Nobody else in the wrestling business ever laced their image on one sole guy. WWE works to make a public image a prime objective. They are the only company that ever focused more on it's public image than the TV product. TNA, nor any other company has been that way. Just because WWE does it one way does not mean that's how all other companies should work. That's absurd. That being the case, let's just make other analogies of wrestlers and the human anatomy:

Right Lung - Sting

Because TNA clearly can't breathe well when he's gone.

Balls - Anderson

As much as you'd think he'd be the rectum, you talk shit about the current top star and it's like kicking TNA in the balls.

Velvet Sky - Ass

And what an ass, too.

It's no real debate who TNA views as the embodiment of it's company. He's more decorated in the company than both Sting and Kurt Angle. He has the same major fan accolade that Sting, Kurt Angle and Rob Van Dam have that no other TNA original has ever come close to winning. He's been there since day one. He's TNA first and only 2 time Grand Slam Champion. Still can't grasp it? Get the fuck out. The face of a company is the one who embodies the company. Does Sting embody TNA? Is he athletic, sort of spotty and short? Does Kurt Angle embody TNA? In a way. But not as well as the man I'm talking about does. Who cares if he's not headlining every PPV, he's still the epitome of the company's figure. We're not trying to sell backpacks and bed sheet sets and get a spot on a talk show. We're selling a wrestling product.

To me, AJ Styles has been and always will be Mr TNA, when I think of the company he is the man that jumps to mind first. He has been there from their very first show, is the most successfukl wrestler in the history of the company, has consistently good matches throughout his TNA career, has been voted the MVP of TNA on numerous occasions and hs been their through thick and thin. He represents the company better than anyone in my eyes.

BUT

For a non-fan, or a fan just getting into the company, it can be argued that the true face of TNA is either Sting or Kurt Angle. For casual fans, they are the two recognisable names that still have value. Fans who have been into wrestling even just a little bit over the last 10-15 years will know who Kurt Angle and Sting are. They draw the most in TNA, attract the most viewers and are the most recognisable. It is no use have a constantly popular (with TNA fans) guy like AJ as the face of your company if he doesnt draw the money or encourage more people to watch the show.

In my opinion TNA doesn't have a real face of the company. But if anyone is it's AJ. He was there since day one, he's made TNA what it is today, he's the 2x and only/first grand slam champion, he's the first ever X Division champion etc. He may not be as marketable as guys like Hardy, Hogan, Sting, Angle etc but over the years he's a major reason TNA have been a major company.

If the BS being spewed here doesn't show why WWE's monopoly over the wrestling business has turned smarks into morons, nothing will. Reader, I have a pop quiz for you.

* Who was the face of WCW?

* Who was the face of ECW?

* Who was the face of WCCW?

* Who was/is the face of ROH?

After answering all of that, ask yourself this afterwards:

* Was that face always the wrestler in the main event and the one with all of the emphasis from the company all the time?

Face it. Having a wrestler who holds a major influence in the company be the one who's always headlining PPV's and making all the major appearances and such is something only done by the WWE. Nobody else in the wrestling business ever laced their image on one sole guy. WWE works to make a public image a prime objective. They are the only company that ever focused more on it's public image than the TV product. TNA, nor any other company has been that way. Just because WWE does it one way does not mean that's how all other companies should work. That's absurd. That being the case, let's just make other analogies of wrestlers and the human anatomy:

Right Lung - Sting

Because TNA clearly can't breathe well when he's gone.

Balls - Anderson

As much as you'd think he'd be the rectum, you talk shit about the current top star and it's like kicking TNA in the balls.

Velvet Sky - Ass

And what an ass, too.

It's no real debate who TNA views as the embodiment of it's company. He's more decorated in the company than both Sting and Kurt Angle. He has the same major fan accolade that Sting, Kurt Angle and Rob Van Dam have that no other TNA original has ever come close to winning. He's been there since day one. He's TNA first and only 2 time Grand Slam Champion. Still can't grasp it? Get the fuck out. The face of a company is the one who embodies the company. Does Sting embody TNA? Is he athletic, sort of spotty and short? Does Kurt Angle embody TNA? In a way. But not as well as the man I'm talking about does. Who cares if he's not headlining every PPV, he's still the epitome of the company's figure. We're not trying to sell backpacks and bed sheet sets and get a spot on a talk show. We're selling a wrestling product.

The face of WCW was Hogan and Sting. They all will tell you that. Bischoff will even tell you that for the NWO to work, it had to be the face of the company. It was down to Hogan and Sting. That why WCW was the only company to ever rival WWE. Everyone knows the NWO sign. It is more branded than WCW was.

TNA knows they need a face and that why that sign the Flairs, Hogans, and Foley, and others. The problem is that TNA marketing machine is crappy. I saw Kurt Angle and Booker T at a baseball game. The credit said WWE superstars, no mention of TNA.

There is a problem because TNA has a cult following. There is no one that draws people in to watch to TNA and the ones who do, TNA doesn't know how to push. CM Punk is invited to ESPN. Where was TNA invited. Cena and Miz are at the Nick Awards. Where's TNA. They need a face and presence who can promote TNA outside.

The face of WCW was Hogan and Sting. They all will tell you that. Bischoff will even tell you that for the NWO to work, it had to be the face of the company. It was down to Hogan and Sting. That why WCW was the only company to ever rival WWE. Everyone knows the NWO sign. It is more branded than WCW was.

Agreed.

TNA knows they need a face and that why that sign the Flairs, Hogans, and Foley, and others.
That's not why they sign them.
The problem is that TNA marketing machine was crappy.
Fixed.

I saw Kurt Angle and Booker T at a baseball game. The credit said WWE superstars, no mention of TNA.
That's really not there fault. People are simply going to associate every wrestler to WWE.

There is a problem because TNA has a cult following. There is no one that draws people in to watch to TNA and the ones who do
Jeff Hardy was hired for that role. He did it well in terms of attracting families but of course he ruined himself.
TNA doesn't know how to push.
Lol Really? You haven't been seeing Crimson and Gunner getting pushed to the moon?
CM Punk is invited to ESPN. Where was TNA invited.
Actually, Sting announced Bound For Glory's location for 2011 on ESPN. Jesse Godderz (recent signing) was hyped up by ESPN.com

Your "TNA can't market right" is correct...if we were in 2009. 2011, TNA has grown significantly in that area. They hired a new marketing chief back in 2010.

Cena and Miz are at the Nick Awards. Where's TNA.
Well, TNA isn't exactly a PG company. I don't ever expect to see AJ Styles on any show like that.

However, TNA has showcased their talent on reality shows on MTV and game shows.

They need a face and presence who can promote TNA outside.
I think they have found that young guy. In my opinion.

The face of WCW was Hogan and Sting.
That's an issue because for one, thats two guys and two, one of them was not always plastered in the main event. That already faults the "face of X" people love to spew about.
They all will tell you that. Bischoff will even tell you that for the NWO to work, it had to be the face of the company. It was down to Hogan and Sting. That why WCW was the only company to ever rival WWE. Everyone knows the NWO sign. It is more branded than WCW was.

TNA knows they need a face and that why that sign the Flairs, Hogans, and Foley, and others. The problem is that TNA marketing machine is crappy. I saw Kurt Angle and Booker T at a baseball game. The credit said WWE superstars, no mention of TNA.
Clearly they are not meeting their "objectives". Must be because that's not the intention of signing them.

There is a problem because TNA has a cult following. There is no one that draws people in to watch to TNA and the ones who do, TNA doesn't know how to push. CM Punk is invited to ESPN. Where was TNA invited. Cena and Miz are at the Nick Awards. Where's TNA. They need a face and presence who can promote TNA outside.
If they need a face, why are you talking about more than one person? Do you like slashing through the logic of this argument or something? Can't you see why the logic of one guy being to sole image of a company is flawed? TNA is not losing opportunities because they don't have one sole guy to focus on. That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Bringing a company up is a team effort meaning everyone should get a shot at the limelight. To fuck with guess spots, TNA should be focusing on it's own growth and not having one guy be called to show up somewhere. It's a team effort. That why WWE can gain all the publicity it wants, that still doesn't change the fact that for many, it's inner product is limited to the same old names.

As a casual TNA fan I have to say that Sting is the face of TNA. Every time I get back into what is going on in TNA I see Sting as either the champion, the main focul point or in a major storyline. He is the top draw of the company (debatable) but he is deffinately one of the most accomplished wrestlers in the company, and deffinately the most accomplished wrestler that wrestles full time. I dont see him as the face of the company on a John Cena level but as for TNA absolutely is th face of the company. Why is he the face of the company? Because he always delivers, always puts on atleast a decent match, always tells a clear story and cuts a hell of a promo. But most importantly he is trust worthy! Something Jeff Hardy has never heard of.

I think Jeff Hardy he's the top seller, the most entertaining, the most well know, the TNA bad boy, the fan favorite, the anti christ, the HArdy bros

AJ Styles has nothing on Jeff Hardy

The current face of TNA is Hogan, which is why the ratings are dropping like a stone.

Those familiar with Terry's record will be familiar with the pattern. Hogan is and always was toxic to any brand he works for

The current face of TNA is Hogan, which is why the ratings are dropping like a stone.

Those familiar with Terry's record will be familiar with the pattern. Hogan is and always was toxic to any brand he works for

Lol. Really? Because I always thought It was the guy who had more success within the company which is AJ Styles...The only guy besides John Cena to have 17 Championships in his career actively wrestling.

I understand people do not like Hogan but don't create hogwash reasons to do it. Rating's are dropping due to NFL and Jersey Shore. Proven draws of 8 million viewers and into TNA's demographic.

Did you know, DVR ratings are high right now for TNA? Which means people don't watch when it's on live TV but record to watch later.

Raw lost a ton of viewers going against football as well.

Football, Basketball, Baseball > Wrestling in 2011. It has nothing to do with Hogan, Triple H, WWE, TNA, ROH, Mickey Rourke. It doesn't matter. Wrestling is 3rd behind any other sport.

Let's look at the criteria of a face of a company, shall we?

• Must be a main-event mainstay. Come on, that's elementary.
  • Must be a big draw. It's hard to tell who is a big draw in TNA. Financial figures aren't released, TNA merchandise is rarely seen at the Impact Zone and their aren't constant main eventers.
  • Must be heavily promoted. That links in with the two above points.

With these factors taken into consideration, I've decided that TNA doesn't have a face. Not in the way John Cena is the face of WWE. Not in the way that Hogan and Austin were the faces of WWF. TNA doesn't have that guy who is constantly in the main event or who is constantly drawing (although to be honest, it's impossible to tell who draws in TNA). AJ Styles is Mr. TNA. But he isn't the face of TNA. He hasn't been near the world title since he lost it in March 2010.

I like AJ Styles, he's a great wrestler inside the ring. Nobody can deny or legitimately dispute that. There are two ways to look at this question: one from an idealistic POV and one from a realistic POV.

Idealistically, AJ Styles is thought of as "the face" of TNA Wrestling. He's been there from the beginning, he's one of those few talents that really stood out and put TNA on the map and he's been involved in more huge moments in TNA than any other homegrown or indy talent that's been through the company.

Realistically, AJ Styles is probably not "the face" of TNA Wrestling. Why? Because the cold hard truth is that the man doesn't draw. AJ Styles is someone that can be counted on to provide high quality matches if you give him the time to do it but the man is not a money maker. At the end of the day, money talks and bullshit walks. It's always been that way in any business that's out to make money and that's how it always will be in any business that's out to make money.

For me, I'm not gonna come down on someone that looks at Styles as "the face" of TNA. It's very true that Styles has worked hard and done everything that he can possibly do for TNA and that's something that's worthy of respect and admiration. But it's also true that Styles can't draw a dime. He's been in TNA all this time and has been one of the top guys in TNA for most of a decade, there've been big stories woven around him but he hasn't been able to deliver the goods in terms of numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back