Which wrestling promotion will you remember Dusty Rhodes from the most?

Which wrestling promotion will you remember Dusty Rhodes from the most?

• NWA/WCW

• JCP

• WWF/E

• Indies

Results are only viewable after voting.

CM Steel

A REAL American
"The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes is a legend in pro wrestling all around the world. Some from within the wrestling industry consider the dream to be "the Bill Clinton of the wrestling world". And Dusty Rhodes is a household name in the south. But which wrestling promotion will you remember Dusty Rhodes from the most?

Like many wrestlers do Rhodes started off on the indy circuit tag teaming with Dick Murdock. Before heading into the old NWA organization where the dream made history various times while feuding with names like Flair, Anderson, Race, as well as others on his way to winning the NWA world title. And after Jim Crockett bought the promotion as his own he re-named it Jim Crockett Promotions.

Then in the late 80's-early 90's Dusty Rhodes made his way to the WWF/E, wear the company kind of made Rhodes tweaked his character around with him sporting yellow poka-dots with matching head band and had him dance with his valet at the time. Before you know it Rhodes is back down south wrestling in what became WCW. Where in his later years Rhodes worked backstage as a booker as well as other positions in office in WCW.

Rhodes also had a brief (repeat brief) stint in ECW feuding with Steve Corino.

After long last with other promotions folding, Dusty Rhodes made back to the WWE under a "legends deal" and is currently a trainer in the WWE's NXT system. The dream has lived a true hall of fame career in wrestling! But in depth. Which wrestling promotion will you remember Dusty Rhodes from the most?

I remember him most from his time in WWF in the late 80's and early 90's. The first match I saw him in was a tag match partnering his son Dustin. I remember their excessive yet effective use of elbows.

I also remember he had a feud with Millionaire Man and it involved Sweet Sapphire. I was a fan of Dibiase so I found the way he stole sweet sapphire to be gold.
Actually I think the match with Dustin was also part of that feud.

I understand Rhodes was a much bigger name in the south but I can only remember what I've actually seen.

Tna to be honest because I saw him as the manger of tna. Though most people will remember him for his time in wcw, he was also world champion there.

W/out a doubt nwa n da 80s. His feuds w/horsemen were legendary. Remember when they broke his wrist at a gas station? He was heavyweight champion tv champion 6 man tag champion and a mainstay n war games. Good feuds 2 w/Paul Jones road warriors etc. When he left 4 wwf n late 80s he was never da same imo.

That's kind of a weird break down of choices. You have NWA/WCW as one choice, but then JCP as another, however Jim Crockett Promotions was part of the NWA, and it was Crockett who sold the promotion to Turner, resulting in the WCW.

I said Jim Crockett Promotions (JCP) since this pretty much covers the 80s up through WCW.

I'd say he would be remembered best in WCW, especially since he'd most likely still be working there had that company remained in business.

WCW, and wrestling organizations that were absorbed by the bigger company (like Crockett) had Dusty in several different featured roles: The Midnight Rider, Uvalde Slim (there's a misnomer) and of course, the American Dream. He enjoyed his greatest triumphs in WCW, including winning unique events like Texas Bullrope matches and Bunkhouse Bullshit matches (whatever the hell they were called)........especially enjoying success when he was chief booker, which speaks volumes in itself as to why he liked it there best.

In all, his character was synonymous with WCW more than anyplace her performed. I'm sure he provides a valuable service now for WWE, but his best days were spent in the South.

Ironically where I know him best from isn't listed here (TNA). Being born in late 1989 and missing most of WCW's during its initial run I always new of him as Goldust's famous father The American Dream Dusty Rhodes. I never got a first hand view of him until he joined TNA and feuded with SEX, later becoming their Authority Figure & booker/writer, many people consider this a gold period in TNA's history so the booking speaks for itself. Aj and Raven were notable champs from that era. Anyways I was able to see what all the hype was about even this late in his career, he still rocked the mic and had a mystic and glow over him. Till this day I wish I could see him return to such a position on a weekly show. Later on i got to see him feud with Orton and enjoyed him even more!

Dusty lost his job in WCW when the company was sold to Turner in 1988 in a major dust up over his booking...the company basically had to chose between Flair & Rhodes and Turner said he wouldnt buy the company if Flair wasnt on board. Flair had already had at least two flitations with Vince, including one during mid 1988 as Jim Crockett was preparing but hadnt finalized the sale to Turner.

As far as his career was concerned, Dusty was a major star in the NWA and WWF in the 1970s, though more in the NWA. In the 1980s Dusty was so popular, nationwide other than Hogan it's hard to think of another fan favorite more popular than him. If you didnt see him wrestling the likes of Harley Race, Tully Blanchard, and of course Flair during this time you missed some incredible stuff. Dusty was also heavily involved behind the scenes and though some of his booking decissions have been criticized over the years Dusty as a booker played a major role in the promotion of The Four Horsemen, the tag team wars between Rock & Roll Express vs Midnight Express (which Vince copied with his British Bulldogs vs Hart Foundation feud), in signing The Road Warriors full time to get them away from the AWA and in turning them face, and Dusty played a major role on camera and back stage in Magnum TA's rise to star status, as well as Lex Luger.

His WWE run later was short and anti climatic, with few highlights.

Dusty won Pro Wrestling Illustrated magazine's fan poll for Most Popular Wrestler in 1987. He also helped create The War Games match. Starrcade was created by Rhodes and if there was no Starrcade there never would have been a WrestleMania (Vince created W-Mainia after seeing the massive success the first two Starrcades enjoyed).

In terms of his best moments, in the 80s it was his runs vs Blanchard & Flair. So much quality stuff, Great American Bash 85 and The Baby Doll saga, the $100,000 Challenge Match vs Blanchard, Starrcade 85 and Bash 86 vs Flair, The War Games (Bash 87), teaming with Nikita Kolloff to win the 1987 Crockett Cup Tournament (beating The Horsemen), all exceptional stuff.

Dusty lost his job in WCW when the company was sold to Turner in 1988 in a major dust up over his booking...the company basically had to chose between Flair & Rhodes and Turner said he wouldnt buy the company if Flair wasnt on board. Flair had already had at least two flitations with Vince, including one during mid 1988 as Jim Crockett was preparing but hadnt finalized the sale to Turner.

As far as his career was concerned, Dusty was a major star in the NWA and WWF in the 1970s, though more in the NWA. In the 1980s Dusty was so popular, nationwide other than Hogan it's hard to think of another fan favorite more popular than him. If you didnt see him wrestling the likes of Harley Race, Tully Blanchard, and of course Flair during this time you missed some incredible stuff. Dusty was also heavily involved behind the scenes and though some of his booking decissions have been criticized over the years Dusty as a booker played a major role in the promotion of The Four Horsemen, the tag team wars between Rock & Roll Express vs Midnight Express (which Vince copied with his British Bulldogs vs Hart Foundation feud), in signing The Road Warriors full time to get them away from the AWA and in turning them face, and Dusty played a major role on camera and back stage in Magnum TA's rise to star status, as well as Lex Luger.

His WWE run later was short and anti climatic, with few highlights.

Dusty won Pro Wrestling Illustrated magazine's fan poll for Most Popular Wrestler in 1987. He also helped create The War Games match. Starrcade was created by Rhodes and if there was no Starrcade there never would have been a WrestleMania (Vince created W-Mainia after seeing the massive success the first two Starrcades enjoyed).

In terms of his best moments, in the 80s it was his runs vs Blanchard & Flair. So much quality stuff, Great American Bash 85 and The Baby Doll saga, the $100,000 Challenge Match vs Blanchard, Starrcade 85 and Bash 86 vs Flair, The War Games (Bash 87), teaming with Nikita Kolloff to win the 1987 Crockett Cup Tournament (beating The Horsemen), all exceptional stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back