Which defunct wrestling PPV would you bring back?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Ever since both WCW and ECW went out of business the WWE owns their copyrights to alot of their stuff. Over the years the E has brought back some of the old WCW and ECW pay per-view's over the years. Let's go over the list shall we?...

-The Great American Bash (WCW)
-December to Dismember (ECW)
-Elimination Chamber (War Games in WCW)
-One Night Stand (Any ECW PPV)

That's pretty much it. But if you could just choose one which defunct wrestling PPV would you want the WWE to bring back?

Why isn't King of the Ring on this list?

That is the one I would like to see return. I always enjoy seeing tournaments in wrestling, seeing superstars step up and become stars. The King of the Ring helped propel many wrestlers to the main event level or legitimise them as top level talent, this happened to the likes of Steve Austin, Triple H, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Edge, Bret Hart and many more.

The fact that the wrestlers have to compete in 2, sometimes 3 matches in one night always makes for an exciting tournament and I love the shock factor when a big name gets knocked out of the tournament by a less decorated superstar. There are examples where the winners of the KOTR have not gone out to be World Champion (See Mabel, Billy Gunn, William Regal etc) but so many have and it's often a sign that this is the winner is a guy who WWE have big plans for in the coming year, with their Summerslam title shot.

You could argue that the Money In The Bank fulfils the same purpose as the King of the Ring, but I would personally like to see both. I would have the KOTR as it's own PPV with the winner once again getting a title shot of their choosing at Summerslam, and I would move the MITB ladder match back to Wrestlemania, opening the show with this matc was a great way of firing the crowd up. There should only be one MITB match at the show too, 2 is overkill.

Why isn't King of the Ring on this list?

That is the one I would like to see return. I always enjoy seeing tournaments in wrestling, seeing superstars step up and become stars. The King of the Ring helped propel many wrestlers to the main event level or legitimise them as top level talent, this happened to the likes of Steve Austin, Triple H, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Edge, Bret Hart and many more.

The fact that the wrestlers have to compete in 2, sometimes 3 matches in one night always makes for an exciting tournament and I love the shock factor when a big name gets knocked out of the tournament by a less decorated superstar. There are examples where the winners of the KOTR have not gone out to be World Champion (See Mabel, Billy Gunn, William Regal etc) but so many have and it's often a sign that this is the winner is a guy who WWE have big plans for in the coming year, with their Summerslam title shot.

You could argue that the Money In The Bank fulfils the same purpose as the King of the Ring, but I would personally like to see both. I would have the KOTR as it's own PPV with the winner once again getting a title shot of their choosing at Summerslam, and I would move the MITB ladder match back to Wrestlemania, opening the show with this matc was a great way of firing the crowd up. There should only be one MITB match at the show too, 2 is overkill.

All of those PPV's are bottom of the barrel PPV's, so many others to chose from and you chose the weakest?

if i was going strictly from WCW i would chose Starrcade that was NWA/WCW's WrestleMania and was even the predecessor to WWF's first televised PPV but as for great idea's i personally liked BattleBowl. which were matches at Starrcade, and one time PPV by itself, the concept of having random tag teams fight in an elimination tournament to determine who would be in the final BattleBowl which was a Battle Royal involving 1 or 2 rings, particpants are eliminated same as in any battle royal or they could get thrown into the other ring adding to that group, then when they were down to 1 person in each ring they would have a normal matchup the winner earning a world title match. How could that concept not work LOL.

I agree on King Of The Ring was the next best concept, a single night tournament showcasing the best of the to be main eventers or upper midcarders. it should be between WrestleMania and SummerSlam with the winner earning the title shot at SummerSlam which leaves a 1-2 month build.

IMO they ruined it when they drew it out over the course of a month with only the finals being at the actual KOR. and then it was scraped altogether like the IC title, the tag titles, the EU titles to make way for lesser shitty non themed PPV's and no prestige titles.

King of the Ring is the easy pick for me it used to be a good way to boost a superstar to the next level.

War games to me i enjoyed those matches more the the traditional survivor series match so i would like to see it return

Last and most unlikely would be Starrcade.

I think WWE needs less gimmick PPV's as it forces them into doing matches of that gimmick. Its whats ruined the Hell in a Cell, Survivor Series match and Elimination Chamber. They need to be rare matches to increase the hype of the match and make them seem more of a big occasion.

King of the Ring is the easy pick for me it used to be a good way to boost a superstar to the next level.
I used to love King of the Ring. ... And then Mabel won it. From that point on it was worthless. A couple of years later Billy Gunn won it, making sure we wouldn't forget it was worthless.
Oh and let's not forget King Sheamus. Winning KotR was the worst thing that ever happened to him. From the very moment he became king his career plunged into a downward spiral that almost killed it.
I guess what I'm trying to say is the King of the Ring title is tainted. I like the concept of a tournament, but they should call it something else and forget about the whole king business.

I'm not big on bringing the old PPVs back. I'd rather they do something new. And no, please no War Games or any of those gimmicky PPVs that require more than one ring. I always hated how those extra rings uselessly stood there for the rest of the night like some siamese twin.

In the spirit of the current season, I always wanted them to bring back and keep Halloween Havoc. No real gimmicks involved just a plain ol ppv that banks off of the halloween theme. Of course they could always tweak it and make it somewhat darker for the ppv in some way if that makes sense. Maybe Starrcade as that was considered to be wcw's wrestlemania. They probably shouldnt bill it as such because that might take away from the special once a year feel for the actual Wrestlemania.

King of the Ring
An obvious popular choice to bring back. I'd place it in July, to help set up the Summerslam main event, while moving Money In the Bank to June. The King of the Ring winner would get to choose between the WWE or World Heavyweight Championship and he gets a title shot at Summerslam.

Starrcade
The biggest WCW show and it has a ton of history, so it should come back to finish up the year strong for WWE. This goes into the December spot while TLC moves to May replacing Extreme Rules as the first brand after Wrestlemania.

January - Royal Rumble
February - Elimination Chamber
March/April - Wrestlemania
May - TLC
June - Money In the Bank
July - King of the Ring
August - Summerslam
September - Night of Champions
October - Hell In a Cell
November - Survivor Series
December - Starrcade

That's it really. Most of the dead PPV brands are dead for a reason. Some of the other old WCW brands could possibly come back, but a lot of the dead WWE PPV brands need to remain gone. They really do have a pretty good PPV lineup today. The only issues for me are Extreme Rules (which TLC can replace entirely for the annual hardcore show), the annual issue of two PPV's in October (easily resolved by just having Hell In a Cell as the only October brand), and the random generic show they add each year such as No Way Out in 2012 or Battleground this year. King of the Ring replaces the June show which has been changing a few times by its addition, Starrcade gets brought back to fill the spot left by TLC taking over Extreme Rules' spot. That's more than enough. WWE should continue to try to build the importance of the brands they have.

Now then, why should some of the other defunct shows not come back? Look at some of these shows. Breaking Point, Fatal Fourway, Capitol Punishment, Vengeance, No Way Out, and more. Nearly all of these brands were awful. The worst part is NOTHING SET THEM APART FROM THE REST OF THE BRANDS! There's no reason to bring back ANY of these. Other than King of the Ring and some of the old WCW brands, there's no PPV brand worth bringing back. If a show comes back it needs to bring something to the table as now each show has some type of theme to set it apart from the rest.

King of the Ring
An obvious popular choice to bring back. I'd place it in July, to help set up the Summerslam main event, while moving Money In the Bank to June. The King of the Ring winner would get to choose between the WWE or World Heavyweight Championship and he gets a title shot at Summerslam.

Starrcade
The biggest WCW show and it has a ton of history, so it should come back to finish up the year strong for WWE. This goes into the December spot while TLC moves to May replacing Extreme Rules as the first brand after Wrestlemania.

January - Royal Rumble
February - Elimination Chamber
March/April - Wrestlemania
May - TLC
June - Money In the Bank
July - King of the Ring
August - Summerslam
October - Hell In a Cell
December - Starrcade

That's it really. Most of the dead PPV brands are dead for a reason. Some of the other old WCW brands could possibly come back, but a lot of the dead WWE PPV brands need to remain gone. They really do have a pretty good PPV lineup today. The only issues for me are Extreme Rules (which TLC can replace entirely for the annual hardcore show), the annual issue of two PPV's in October (easily resolved by just having Hell In a Cell as the only October brand), and the random generic show they add each year such as No Way Out in 2012 or Battleground this year. King of the Ring replaces the June show which has been changing a few times by its addition, Starrcade gets brought back to fill the spot left by TLC taking over Extreme Rules' spot. That's more than enough. WWE should continue to try to build the importance of the brands they have.

Now then, why should some of the other defunct shows not come back? Look at some of these shows. Breaking Point, Fatal Fourway, Capitol Punishment, Vengeance, No Way Out, and more. Nearly all of these brands were awful. The worst part is NOTHING SET THEM APART FROM THE REST OF THE BRANDS! There's no reason to bring back ANY of these. Other than King of the Ring and some of the old WCW brands, there's no PPV brand worth bringing back. If a show comes back it needs to bring something to the table as now each show has some type of theme to set it apart from the rest.

Having 2 ladder match ppvs in a row would be the main problem with this. Thats why tlc is on the other side of the calender. people be burnt out on ladder matches. Also starrcade was never that strong of a brand, and its a shitty name. It was sold on the build up to matches, not the name. If wwe were to take a wcw ppv, then it would have to be halloween havoc or bash at the beach. Two ppvs that rely on set gimmicks rather than match gimmicks.

Having 2 ladder match ppvs in a row would be the main problem with this. Thats why tlc is on the other side of the calender. people be burnt out on ladder matches. Also starrcade was never that strong of a brand, and its a shitty name. It was sold on the build up to matches, not the name. If wwe were to take a wcw ppv, then it would have to be halloween havoc or bash at the beach. Two ppvs that rely on set gimmicks rather than match gimmicks.

You know what, you're right. TLC then Money In the Bank might be a little much. So let's change it to TLC in May following Wrestlemania, King of the Ring in June to give Summerslam's main event two months of build is next, and Money In the Bank remains in July. Or even have Money In the Bank trade places with Night of Champions. Night of Champions used to be a summer brand originally anyway. Money In the Bank could bring in viewers to September's event, probably more than Night of Champions does anyway.

I would, however, keep Starrcade in December from my suggested PPV lineup. It has a tremendous amount of history and it's far enough away from Wrestlemania that it can act as a bigger card like it did in WCW. It can finish up the year entirely in a strong way for WWE, as they begin all over again with Royal Rumble in January which will draw no matter what even if Starrcade is in the month before it and if it became one of the bigger brands upon its return.

I say get rid of Extreme Rules and bring back Backlash. The name Backlash itself has more meaning to it then Extreme Rules does after Wrestlemania.

I don't know why fans want King of the Ring back. Even though I was a huge fan of the King of the Ring PPV, they don't really need it back. They have Money in the Bank so King of the Ring would be pointless, unless they make King of the Ring a PPV and move the Money in the Bank to Wrestlemania again where it first began. I also believe Money in the Bank is more interesting so I would rather keep that then bring back King of the Ring. That's just my opinion.

King of the ring ....hands down.

All these gimic PPVs appear lame and shoved down the throat.. and most importantly take away the unpredictability of any story. every one knows you will get hell in a Cell at the PPV of hell in a cell same goes for elimination chamber and others... hence in my openion they need to be reduced if not gone...

And King of the Ring used to be so awesome.. still dont understand why dont they bring it back. they have to bring it back especially now that it has many new talents in the mid card level to get them up this is perfect

bring it back the sooner the better

I would bring back Backlash just because it was the perfect ppv to follow Mania. Then I would move MITB back to wrestlemania because that seems like an event to hold the match and I would go back to only one. Then I would put KOTR before Summerslam where winner gets the shot there. For the December ppv I would just rename it Judgement Day or back to December to Dismember they could still have TLC matches though.

January Royal Rumble
February Elimination Chamber
March/April WrestleMania
May Backlash
June The Great American Bash
July King of The Ring
August SummerSlam
September Night of Champions
October Battleground
November Survivor Series
December Judgment Day

I enjoyed the post-apocalyptic themes WWE had going with Judgment Day, Armageddon, etc. I personally thought those were cool even though I see why it's not beneficial to WWE programming now.

King of The Ring could be a hit again if they could just stay away from the medieval ruler gimmick. It just makes a potential champion look like a comedy dud.

New Year's Revolution was decent I thought. A good pay per view for ending rivalries or starting one. Have the Elimination Chamber of a Hell In A Cell motif in it's place complete with it's dragon theme. Kids like dragons, right? Profit.

Definitely have to be 'King of the Ring', reason being that this Pay-Per-View was one of the most entertaining as it had the 'classic' single elimination tournament that we usually don't see these days & it also showed us who was going to be the 'Next-Big Guy' or who was going to receive yet another 'push'.

I say get rid of Extreme Rules and bring back Backlash. The name Backlash itself has more meaning to it then Extreme Rules does after Wrestlemania.

I don't know why fans want King of the Ring back. Even though I was a huge fan of the King of the Ring PPV, they don't really need it back. They have Money in the Bank so King of the Ring would be pointless, unless they make King of the Ring a PPV and move the Money in the Bank to Wrestlemania again where it first began. I also believe Money in the Bank is more interesting so I would rather keep that then bring back King of the Ring. That's just my opinion.

Yeah i agree in part the name is great but the problem with Backlash's position in the schedule was WrestleMania was meant to be The end of the the previous years fueds, so Backlash is a continuation of that which should have already ended and in most cases it was just WrestleMania rewind on a very small scale. The PPV after WrestleMania should be a fresh start.

King of the Ring should be placed in July. It was a very special PPV and had some of the most memorable matches in WWF/E History, namely Mankind vs. Undertaker. The tournament was pretty much an awesome motif to determine whom WWE was going to make the next big guy... I mean, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, and Brock Lesnar won the tourney. Then again, there were also some blunders made for it... Mabel, Ken Shamrock, and Billy Gunn... Why Mabel I will never know.

My feelings:

Downgrade a lot (or all) of the gimmick PPVs. No more Money in the Bank PPV, no more Hell in a Cell PPV, no more Elimination Chamber PPV, save those for special occasions (like MitB at Wrestlemania).

Then bring back King of the Ring, remove the "royalty" gimmick (like Booker went through) and make it an actual annual defendable title. No belt, no "title defense" at anywhere other than King of the Ring. Previous tournament winner participates to defend his title, just like nearly every other tournament based competition seen anywhere.

And while I'd love it if it was the one full night tournament again (where the winner has wrestled like 3-4 matches to win in one night) keeping it to the Semi- and Grand Finals for the PPV would be fine.

King of the ring was ruined. I would love to see one night tournaments again but with a different name.

I may be in the minority but I wouldn't mind seeing Rumble followed up by World War 3 to see who would face the "other" champion at mania. I enjoyed the multi ring gimmicks once in a while and there were some cool spots by the luchadores going ring to ring. I don't think it would be as stale as EC, HiAC, etc

The King of the Ring tournament was a staple in WWE programming for years. Bringing it back would be a great way to make the MITB ladder match more important and allow the writers leeway for which title the winner can cash-in on rather than limiting to red & blue briefcases. Bring back King of the Ring. Have a KOTR winner w/a future WHC or WWE title shot and one MITB winner w/a contract to cash-in for either title.

I would bring back No Way Out and make it a Complete cage night, where every match is inside the steel cage, including diva matche's and even the pre show. i think wwe would get great buys for it!

I'd absolutely drop Payback to bring King of the Ring back in June. The winner gets his title shot at SummerSlam.

Then I'd get rid of both Battleground and Hell in a Cell. It's ridiculous to have 2 ppv's within 3 weeks of eachother. It would be great to see Halloween Havoc make a comeback.

I'm not a fan of Elimination Chamber, TLC, or Over the Limit either. If there absolutely had to be a ppv every month of the year (besides March for the buildup to Mania), then my schedule would look like this.

Jan - Royal Rumble
Feb - Superbrawl
April - WrestleMania
May - Great American Bash
June - King of the Ring
July - Money in the Bank
August - SummerSlam
October - Halloween Havoc
December - Starrcade

King of the Ring for obvious reasons that others have stated and Bragging Rights. I loved the Brand Extension and miss it so much. They should start doing it again and Bragging Rights as well.

wwe raw and wcw smackdown

j...royal rumble (50 man rr match)
f...starrcade (ec style match)
m...clash of the champions (all titles and rr and ec winners vs world champs)
a...wrestlemania (wwe vs wcw)
m...king of the ring (kotr to get new world champ of show who lost at wm)
j...slamboree
j...superbrawl (30 man battle royal where last 2 wrestlers have a match)
a...summerslam
s...battle bowl (tag team matches to see whose in the battle royal)
o...fallbrawl
n...survivor series (ss matches and a war games match)
d...goldrush (tna king of the mountain match)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back