When Did You Start Liking Zack Ryder?

I have always liked the guy, though the level of devotion he's getting at the moment is a little mystifying.

Love the theme music and his dedication to his gimmick, though.

I have liked Zack Ryder since before he was Zack Ryder. Back when he was one half of The Major Brothers and nobody thought that team would ever amount to anything, I saw a little potential in them and liked them. Then they became clones of Edge, earning the new names of Hawkins and Ryder. Then it happened, Ryder got sent to ECW where he created his current persona. I instantly liked this new character, and although I liked him from the beginning I now saw a ton of potential in Ryder to become a singles star after he finished developing on ECW. I was a Ryder fan before it was cool. I've enjoyed seeing his career play out the way it has, and he is only just now getting started.

WOW, almost everyone here are complete marks. Zack Ryder is fucking awesome.

First of all, I've been watching people throw this term "mark" around for years. I think about half the people who use it, if that, actually understand the dictionary definition of it. Instead, it's just become a blanket insult from anybody that has a contrary opinion. In this case, because I don't enjoy Zack Ryder...I am a "mark". Because I have legitimate reasons for not liking him, and tried to explain my position as thoughtfully as possible...I am a mark?

Let's set the record straight: the term mark is used to describe ANY fan within the pro wrestling business. More often than not, when people can't separate reality from kayfabe.

Second, the sentence you wrote should be "...almost everyone here IS A complete mark."

Third, that's fine! I'm glad you like Zack Ryder and support him! I have mad respect for his ability to put himself over, but I still think he's capitalizing too much on an incredibly fickle demographic. As you can see in this thread, the IWC isn't a reliable source to target if you want to get over. Too many intelligent fans with brains of their own. We like who we want, we say what we want... We are the Madison Square Garden and Chicago crowds of the WWE Universe. We are a small, but overwhelming percentage... However, if he continues relying on us for support, it will fail him eventually.

Personally, I am not yet sold on him yet. I am 24 years old and his character to be just seems a little too goofy or kiddish. Not saying he won't grow on me; but as of right now, I'm just not feeling it. I am happy on a personal level that he is finally being used in a positive way, getting used on Tv, and is one of the most over guys on Raw right now. My hat's off to him. My feelings right now is if he ever were to win the World/WWE title it would be the Money in the Bank way. He'll surprise the world by winning the match, cash it in and win the title, hold it for a month or so, and then drop it to somebody like Miz, Del Rio, or *yawn* Cena, lol. I think he's just fine in the Midcard.

Zack Ryder is too comical like Santino.IMO. It is hard to take him seriously. He's entertaining and a decent guy, but for me he is still too comical, at this point. I feel the same about AIR BOOM. The smiles on their faces never leave. Nobody can be that happy all the time.(lol) I think if Ziggler attacked Zack a few times and brought out some fire in the Long Islander, then I would be more interested in his character, and would want to see more.

Eh Zack Ryder is alright but I honestly think he is quite a bit overrated. Alex Riley should be getting his push right now. Riley should have never been dropped down in the card/rankings. Anyways Ryder is a very average wrestler at best. I have never seen any really good moves from him and his comedy segments only sometimes make me chuckle. He is one of the most overrated guys in the WWE and he shouldn't be getting the push he is receiving.

A lot of hate here, more than I would've expected. Oh well. I started liking Ryder when I began watching WWE a month or two after WM26 after not watching at all for two years. I happen to live on Long Island and to have Ryder represent LI with his gimmick was cool to me. Until his youtube show I could never evaluate his mic work or ring work for myself because he wasn't on TV. I like and respect that he's made the most he can out of a bad gimmick (even though I'm proud it represented LI, it doesn't mean I think the gimmick is good). I find him to be better on his youtube show than he is on TV. On TV, when he speaks it seems very rushed and I just don't really like the delivery. However, from his youtube show, I know he can do better and that he has the charisma to do well. His ring work is average from what I've seen, but many of his recent matches haven't given him enough of a chance to show what he can do. I'd like to see a PPV match between Ryder and Ziggler that goes for at least 10-15 min.

I didn't even really know who Zack Ryder was until Doc introduced me to his Youtube show, and I think the first episode I saw was like episode 5 or 6. Ever since then, I wanted him to get more screen time, along with his dad and The Big O.

But that's probably asking for a little too much.

I think I first aknowledged Ryder's existance when he and Hawkins helped Edge win the World Heavyweight Championship way back when on Smackdown. I haven't gotten to the point of really becoming a fan of Ryder's put my respect for him has been growing lately, at first I could not look past how ridiculous his gimmick is but I've attempted to do so now and I think I can say that I officially started to like Ryder when he started facing Ziggler often on Raw. His in ring abilities are improving every day and this is when I first noticed a significant change in his skills, and Ziggler is so good that he can help guys look good against him but Ryder himself has been improving and I will admit that I have been impressed and find myself rooting for him now, but don't expect me to be wearing any Ryder shirts or chanting WWWYKI anytime soon. :rolleyes:

When my boss walked up to me and asked me if I had seen Z true Long Island stories yet. I hadn't. Still haven't. I'm surprisingly lazy. A few weeks later he finally got a match on Raw and he was such a goofy bastard I couldn't help but kind of like him.

Still don't think he's the best wrestler out their, but he's entertaining and looks genuinely happy to be out there. I can't help but cheer for him.

Damn a lot of mixed feelings here. My other thread about CM Punk was like all about loving him, not so much for Ryder here :/ I realize Ryder is no where near as incredible as Punk but to say he's bland and boring in the ring is truly an understatement. Ryder is talented and to say he's not is downright ******ed.

Who said i like him?? He's nothing special,just a weird dude with wird hair and weird and stupid catch phrazes...He's like Marella,only Marella is funny...There is soo many WWE superstars who should get a title match but Zac is the one who will actually get it... WWE creativ team latelly really su**..

I'm still not really a big fan of Ryder. I really dig the way he got himself over though. It just goes to show you that even if the corporate machine isn't behind somebody, they can still make an impact. I always liked his old tights though.

Mike "The Kid" Killam;3552000 said:
I'll be honest...I can't actually say for sure whether I like him or not. I think people will watch anything on YouTube, and being the first WWE Superstar with a consistent show online that panders to IWC fans is a recipe for instant success. I will say, he is at least connected with what the internet fans want to see and hear. Zack Ryder became the "meme" of the wrestling world. Like any meme the "Ryder Revolution" picked up incredible steam in spite of its overwhelming stupidity (at first).

Actually I think it's BECAUSE of it's overwhelming stupidity at first. The first few episodes I watched was almost completely through my parted fingers that were glued to my face in a permanent facepalm. Everything he said made me think the guy was a complete tool, yet I still enjoyed watching and laughed at everything he did.

Fact of the matter is I like him because he's a tool... well that and because of his dad. I think the funniest thing I've seen from Zack Ryder was when his dad was supposed to apologize for saying his favorite wrestler was John Morrison instead of his own son in episode 6 and instead he took off his Zack Ryder t-shirt to reveal a John Morrison t-shirt, flipped on the JoMo shades, struck a JoMo pose and said "I'm a MoFo!"

BTW The answer to the question here, "When did you start liking Zack Ryder?" is Episode 6 for me. The "I'm a MoFo!" line hooked me.

Ryder talking about how he wants to be a part of NKOTBBSBZ (New Kids On The Block, & BackStreet Boys, & Zack) and singing along with all those terrible pop songs, like Broski in a Bottle. It's all such a trainwreck it's just so bad, and yet, through it all, HE is likable.

Or how 'bout his other bits he does like: "This is the WWE, this is the ball with Zack Ryder, this is the WWE dropping the ball with Zack Ryder. Any questions?"

Everything Zack does is so bad it's great, and the more people watched, the more people like him.

Mike "The Kid" Killam;3552000 said:
Fast-forward to November 2011. "We want Ryder" is echoing around Madison Square Garden during the opening match of Survivor Series. Right now I see Ryder like I see Chocolate Rain... An incredibly stupid things that made its way around the internet, caught fire and got insanely popular. Even though it's lame, it's hilarious and you can't help but want to see it over and over again. He's not exceptionally gifted in the ring. He's a below-average mic worker. There is no sane and logical explanation for why people love him... It's just the way we are.

Ryder is right now at the height of his popularity, but I worry that if the WWE actually give the fans what they want...he's going to fizzle like all the memes eventually do. There will be a couple people who still obsess over him - you know, the annoying people that still say "your mom" after every sentence - but he will be a flash in the pan. NOW, I sincerely hope for the sake of Ryder he can pursue something fresh before he gets stale, but he needs to be careful. Popularity comes with incredible risk of stagnation. If Ryder finds himself in the main event every single week, I'd bet money the fans will eventually turn on him. Of course, it's likely they'll just stop caring altogether first.

You MAY be right. I mean I agree with your analysis, however in small doses in the context of Raw where there's so much else going on I think he'll be a star and a scene stealer. I don't think Ryder is ready for the main event by any means, but Ziggler being on his show has been great for not only Ryder, but Ziggler too. Ziggler has the talent in the ring, and now he's showing, through Ryder's show, that he's great on the mic, which is something I've never really seen from him otherwise.

As long as Ryder is given to us on WWE TV (as opposed to youtube) in small doses and especially if it enhances his youtube show, I think he'll be good the way he is for a couple years before he'll need to move on, and that's a good solid run. By then he'll be a more mainstream wrestler, can do a heel turn, cancel his show and be hated like crazy for cancelling his show and acting like an asshole just so he can move the main event.

And that's the way I see it too, I think his show is going to get him right where he is now, as a mid-carder. He'll likely be champion and when he's learned enough, matured enough professionally, he'll be able to do a heel turn and move to the main event as a new character everyone hopefully loves to hate. And why? Because the vast majority of his fans started liking him when he started the Z True Long Island Story and showed everyone what a completely lovable tool he really is.

I don't like him at all. When I think of his support it reminds me of the mindsets hipsters have. It just feels like people only like him ironically. Under no circumstances can i see myself enjoying watching a new jersey douchebag character. I do think with a different gimmick he is a guy who would be a nice addition to a tagteam but wwe seems only concerned with creating singles stars these days.

started watching his show and realized he was actually entertaining. Who would have thought he could go from teaming with curt hawkins to this

Wow a lot of hate for the poor guy. The OP asked "When did you start liking Zack Ryder?" not "Do you like Zack Ryder". He's just living his dream and it's a damn shame that many of you can't respect that. Try doing what he does on a regular basis and see if you'll last.

Anyways, I liked him since the beginning. Felt bad that back in 2010 he fell off for a little bit but I was introduced to his show and it made me realize that this guy who we barely saw on TV at the time has a very creative mind. I doubt these "smarks" that are bashing Ryder have actually watched a full Zack Ryder match, because apparently changing the channel during his segments and matches is the "cool thing to do". I find that pathetic to be honest but that's just me.

Zack Ryder at the moment is my #2 favorite wrestler in WWE behind CM Punk. If it wasn't for him, I wouldnt be half the person I am today.

Bring on the hate ;)

IWC already turning on him?
That didn't take long.

I jumped on the wagon when he started his YT videos. Other then that, never really paid attention.

I dug Ryder shortly after he changed gimmick. Before that, well, I was a pretty big Edgehead so I liked Hawkins & Ryder by association. It wasn't really anything serious, I remember being happy about their title win at the Bash in 2008, but they fell off the face of the planet shortly after. Never really that into them. Then he jumped to ECW in the draft, had his gimmick change, which initially I thought was absurd, but then he started wrestling and I got into it big time. It was the short build and subsequent match to his ECW Title match with Christian that sold me. I was on the Ryder bandwagon immediately after that match which, if you haven't seen it, is still good viewing. His Youtube series is pretty much icing on the cake for me - I was well on the bandwagon ages before that.

In other words, I liked Ryder before it was mainstream ( /hipster).

I dug Ryder shortly after he changed gimmick. Before that, well, I was a pretty big Edgehead so I liked Hawkins & Ryder by association. It wasn't really anything serious, I remember being happy about their title win at the Bash in 2008, but they fell off the face of the planet shortly after. Never really that into them. Then he jumped to ECW in the draft, had his gimmick change, which initially I thought was absurd, but then he started wrestling and I got into it big time. It was the short build and subsequent match to his ECW Title match with Christian that sold me. I was on the Ryder bandwagon immediately after that match which, if you haven't seen it, is still good viewing. His Youtube series is pretty much icing on the cake for me - I was well on the bandwagon ages before that.

In other words, I liked Ryder before it was mainstream ( /hipster).

Aye, young Harthan.

I , along with Harthan, are Zack Ryder hipsters. You see, once upon a time, round about summer 2009, we were two of about 10 people who regularly participated in ECW live discussion, loved and enjoyed the show.

We all loved Zack Ryder from day one, would pine for that entrance music to hit, would all mark out when it did. So we have liked Ryder since day one. Why, I even had the hipster reaction when people began marking out for the guy as if they were so different and cool and awkward for it...LONNNGG after THAT ship had sailed.

Whatever. Awesome that the guy was able to ascend to acheive his dream. people should curtail their hate, for his heat is unlikely to last through 2012.

I started liking him simply because of the effort he put in to get noticed. The initiative of the guy is spot on.

My favourite Ryder joke is him climbing a fence. 'Trying to get over'.

For me this is simple.

I have been a fan of the wrestler currently known as Zack Ryder for a long long time. Back in his days at NYWC, when he had his first WWE match back in 2005 as an enhancement talent getting squashed by Stuttering Matt Morgan (anyone remember that character?); then eventually getting a developmental contract and staying in Deep South for about a year before getting called up in May of 2007. When I saw the Major Bros on ECW I almost did a spit-take out of sheer markdom.

I was really psyched when he got drafted to ECW, since it meant they were actually doing something with him; then he cut his hair and embraced the inner guido-like character; I instantly loved it; and thought it would work great. It did, and it only died down because WWE cancelled ECW. Zack Ryder retired Tommy Dreamer, and feuded with Christian while on ECW. Moving to RAW nearly led to his release, and then he started doing something about it. The Youtube show is very entertaining, and provided him an opportunity to not only vent, but show WWE that he's not useless.

Can Zack Ryder be a main eventer Worlds Champion as he is now? No, but like all characters, they eventually tone them down enough before getting that title (John Cena rings a bell).

I liked him since his ECW days. What I first liked about him was his theme song and thought it was kind of cool. Also I saw some potential from him because he was decent in the ring. To top it off his woo woo woo catchphrase and youtube channel really made me a fan of his.

When I finally got around to seeing his at the time new gimmick on ECW. I read a thread on here of people talking about how ridiculous the gimmick was, and how a lot of people just didn't know what to think of it. When I first saw it, I thought it really stupid, but pretty quickly he found how to play it at just the right level of annoying (remember, he was a heel then). I remember thinking how he was the best heel on ECW and deserved a title shot. When he finally got one, he had a great match with Christian. Really, I'd say that that's when I truly started to believe in Zack. Now he has a hilarious Youtube show and is poised to be a huge star. I'm so proud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back