When Did You Start Liking CM Punk?

I will be completely honest, I am some what of a noob. I was a die-hard wrestling fan when I was a kid. All the way up until about 2002-03 when I felt that it was just going down hill. After a 8 year hiatus from wrestling, when I caught word of what CM Punk was doing, I checked it out.

In my opinion, CM Punk saved wrestling. He made a watered down business interesting again. He is this generations Stone Cold. WWEs stock value still sits low at just over 9 dollars per share. 9 dollars! thats far to little for such a big company. I shutter to think of what it would be if there were no CM Punk.

His feud with Raven in RoH was amazing. He bled more than anyone had seen in years in one of the most violent and bloody feuds in recent wrestling history.

This is when I knew this guy was going to be a star. However I NEVER thought he would be the top guy in WWE... just goes to show, that sometimes the cream does rise to the top...

I've always thought Punk was someone that was good inside the ring. For me, it wasn't until Punk's feud with Jeff Hardy that I really and truly saw that this guy wasn't the overrated darling of the independent circuit that I thought he was.

Punk showed that not only was he great inside of the ring, but he also had a dynamic presence on the mic that I just simply didn't expect him to have. His feud with Jeff Hardy is what really showed, to me, that CM Punk was a true star and deserved to be a main eventer in WWE.

I'm going to be honest here. I never saw any of his ROH work, before he came to the WWE. Since he came to the WWE I have loved him however.

Ever since he first stepped foot in a WWE ring, in all honesty have liked him. After watching some of his ROH footage, you can still see he was quality even back then, and now look where he is :)

I am a big WWE supporter, so I try to watch and buy as much as possible, that included watching ECW. I hated it, alot. I only turned the channel that night because there was absolutely nothing on, and I happened to turn as soon as one of his backstage promos came on. I liked him, I liked his style, I was/am straight-edge so when I heard him talking about it I listened. Then there was the K2/Knox triangle, and me, being a tender-hearted girl ;) , fell in love with K2 and CM punk. I became an actual fan of his at Survivior Series when he teamed with DX, and have followed him/YT stalked him ever since :worship::)

i first saw cm punk in ecw and liked him then - prefer him as a face but hes one of those wrestlers that just stand out - always thought he would be wwe champion. I think its because hes just different

I started to like him immediately after his WWE debut. His ring skills were awesome back then when he used a karate like moveset. His ring skills are still good however

I would love to say I've been on the CM Punk bandwagon since ROH but unfortunately I can't. If I'm being honest it wasn't until his promo at the top of the ramp that I really started paying attention to him. I've always enjoyed his work in the ring since he came to WWE. I never have paid much attention to Smackdown so I missed a lot of his SES run and whatnot and when I saw him cut that promo the light switch turned on. I finally felt like it was really a guy talking from the heart and not some over-rehearsed cookie cutter BS like most promos(John Cena you know who I'm talking about). Now I've seen that he has not only the in-ring skills but also the mic skills to go with it.

Short answer...I've been a fan of CM Punk since he was in RoH.

If you want to know when I knew he would be a big star in WWE...well that's a different question. I knew he'd be a big star when he started feuding with Jeff Hardy. It was the feud that made him in my opinion.

... from the time he debuted in WWE as a part of their version of ECW.

I had read about him and maybe watched a few highlights on YouTube prior to that and thought he had the look and the skill, but honestly, I figured he'd be buried within a few months. I don't really pay any mind to Ring of Honor or TNA so I didn't know him from there, but I had a fairly good grasp of his back story prior to his debut.

I've always liked Punk, but I never really started noticing him as a serious character until he formed the Straight Edge Society. And even then, it was still a little weird, because it was just a midcard stable, and nobody in that group had any of the power they were putting their voices into.

Punk shot way up on my list of favorites during his contract fiasco.

Now I get excited every time he has a mic in his hand.

I like the performer CM punk. I did not like it when he forced his way into Nexus and f'd it up. Also Punk somewhat ruined Wade Barrett's push. Barreett was being built up so well, which he totally deserves.

I liked CM Punk since 2008. Before 2008, I was taking a sabbatical from watching wrestling. Back then, The Rock got me into wrestling, and in 2008 CM Punk reign as WHC and the Jericho/Michaels feud got me back into it. I never imagined that CM Punk would one day be recognized by the mainstream media during the summer of 2011, but I'm happy that he got his big break.

So yes, I liked CM Punk before he was cool

From the minute I got into wrestling - literally. I got into wrestling via an Internet chat room where I, in my infinite ignorance, made a snide remark about wrestling being fake. One guy went off on me and told me to watch it before I knocked it. Well, alright, challenge accepted. This was just long enough after WrestleMania 24 that I was able to get it on DVD, and I fell in love with wrestling, the rest is history, so on, so forth. But back to Punk. So I get to the MITB match and I just dug CM Punk instantly. I became a little more of a JoMo mark because of his awesome job in that match, but Punk's win got me into him a little. I wasn't a Punk mark yet, but I dug him. Watching him on ECW was loads of fun. I caught up on his last couple years in the WWE, watched his ECW title runs and matches, so on, so forth. I was a huge Edge mark that year, so when Punk cashed in on Edge I was less than thrilled...but I still did like Punk, so I got over it. I am probably the only person on the entire planet that likes that title reign from Punk, I think it's just a fun transitional reign. I really liked him in that time frame. So yeah, then he loses the title and goes back to being a midcarder. I get into ROH later that year, start to dig him his indy stuff, and that's when I'm really sold on this guy. I just loved his indy work and I thought - man, this guy's awesome, even if they don't let him do this kind of stuff anymore. And then of course the summer of 2009 happened, Punk made his ascension to permanent upper midcarder through a great title reign, and that made me more or less a Punk mark. He transcended everything I ever thought about him this year, of course, and he's now hands down my favorite WWE wrestler, which I'm not sure I would have said a year ago.

When he joined the annonce team. This is so corny and newbish but it's because he did something that you only see in TNA to be honest.

He walked out his first night as an annoncer in a Cubs shirt. That's like, one of the big no-no's in WWE. No brand names except your own. And he wore his team proudly anyway. (NL Central baby!) As soon as I saw that shirt I knew I would like him. No shame, no fear, all pride. And ballsie- maybe. If I'm wrong then you can all laugh.

When he went into Nexus I dropped him. Again. I HATED him in SES and Nexus. Which I can't believe no one mentioned yet. He doesn't do well in a group, that's his major flaw. He's always the leader but he can't lead well. It boils down to being all about him. Mostly since everyone else is brainwashed by that time. xD

Now when he became number one contender and started talking to the point they'd shut off his mic, I was back. (ironic how guys from the Central [baseball term- it's a league] are charasmatic and good face/heels [Ken Anderson, Kurt Angle, CM Punk]). It just made me laugh and I liked him again. Now, I'm getting better at understanding storylines and kayfabe, I just find him fun as hell to watch and listen to. The guy's pretty awesome, but the only reason I pay attention to him at all is because of that Cubs shirt.

Don't get me wron, I still hate the Cubbies with a passion. It's just my nature.

I remember watching some Punk matches via internet before he really hit it big. But when I really started taking notice is when he joined Ohio Valley Wrestling. I saw something in him. I saw that he was able to let go in front of a crowd and not be affraid of what would happen. He was accepted pretty much everywhere he went. Since then he's grown into one of the WWE's top players. My interest in Punk went down and up over the years but where he's at currently is where I like him most. He has the freedom to do a lot of his own ideas and those ideas are just remarkable. He's a fine mic worker and a very talented wrestler. All around, he is highly entertaining.

I was a fan of his in Ring of Honor and other indies. I do admit that when he first got to WWECW his ringwork was sloppy and his character was boring, but that changed once he stopped trying to sell the MMA stuff and was given more time on the mic. By the time he won his first MITB I was back on board with Punk. Really with Punk, what he's doing at the time is very important in deciding whether I'm a fan or not. If he's doing something interesting I'm a fan, if he's not then I don't really care about him.

I didn't have Sci-Fi, now Syfy, when he first debuted on ECW, so I had to wait a little bit to see him. But I believe it was the Raw before Survivor Series in '06 when he was introduced by DX. I found out he was from Chicago and that got me jacked to begin with. I tried finding out what was going down in the ECW world, then finally I got digital cable and got to watch it. Punk was my #2 favorite wrestler to watch in the whole company. From there, watching his feud with John Morrison, winning the ECW Championship, then his move Raw and his progression. I couldn't help but love watching him on tv. Then he really bumped it up during his feud with Jeff Hardy, and took over as my #1 guy where he has remained ever since.

My hometown bias for the guy was probably what got me really intrigued about him, but then watching him throughout his career in the WWE, and going back and watching his independent stuff, I gain a better appreciation for him. It was so awesome seeing him win at Money in the Bank in person. Ultimate moment in person for me.

I began to like cm punk during his promos leading up to his ecw debut. I liked the name, I could relate to it. I. Like punk music, so I assumed that was the basis of his name. Then I found out that his entrance music in roh and ovw was miseria cutenia tarda by afi which is my favorite band. I soon after that began using the moniker of tm punk (my name is travis mccart) for everything.

I started liking right after his announcing stint. That was just hilarious. Before that, I thought he was okay, but not really one of my top guys. After that announcing job, he became one of the top 5 guys I liked to watch. In fact, added him on Twitter, and got even more of a kick out of his tweets leading to Wrestlemania and his online "feud" with Austin.

I started following his stuff when he was in the indie scene because of his feud with Raven. I watched his promos and matches and thought he could do some nice work in the big leagues. Then, he ended up in the new ECW, and I was so excited that he made it to the big time. I actually got to meet him that year when ECW was doing house shows in little venues. I got an autograph and a picture with him. Cool guy, by the way. He's done great, and he's getting what he deserves.

I really began to like CM punk once he feuded with Jeff Hardy and his SES persona was interesting to me, really different from everything else on the roster at the time. sure they draged it out abit and finally gave him freedom with the mic. but he was always different to me. always had entertaining matches and alot of potential. and once Y2J left i really started to watch him alot more and now look...he is one if not the biggest reason i watch raw.

I liked Punk ever since his ECW debut. I wish I saw his work in ROH as I've heard great things about them. I liked Punk because he just seemed like a cool guy and someone I could really get behind. I thought he was very solid in the ring, had a great theme song (he got me into Killswitch Engage), and shared my straightedge beliefs. I thought people gave the guy a lot of crap at the time. Even when he turned heel, I still cheered for him. Even when he adopted his holier than thou attitude during his feud with Hardy and run with the Straight Edge Society. I just couldn't hate the guy even though I tend to really dislike people who display his arrogant personality during his SES days.

When i began to watch wrestling again in January 2010 i mean i never watched wrestling for about 10 years before that so everything was new to me again but CM Punk stood out maybe because his look, i appreciate his SxE and he has an awesome taste in music. Even when i first seen him i thought he should easily be main event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back