When Did You Start Liking CM Punk?

I've liked him since he joined WWE, through ECW & Straight Edge Society and all that. He's talented: a good talker and good ring worker.

On the other hand, I don't think he's great...... and certainly not as great as he seems to think, at least according to interviews he's quoted in since agreeing to stay with the company. All his remarks about being the top heel in WWE leave me kind of cold.

Rumor had it that Punk had Serena fired because she was seen not adhering to the straight-edge lifestyle in her private time. In pro wrestling, it's often hard to tell what's true and not, but screw Punk if he really did this. He's not the WWE Police; it's not his job to to keep her in line, nor was he her boss.

But, he's good. I've enjoyed watching him and how he interacts with the other performers......and I've enjoyed all the different incarnations of his character.

Any like I had for him from the ROH days got killed by his ECW character, and was then buried by his first money in the bank win when he cashed in on JBL, I wasn't excited, I didn't really like him, it was cheasy and boring.

The second it got back to hell fuck yeah, this is CM Punk. It wasn't when SOS started, it was when he was against Rey, in the hair vs mask match. Punk got broken open and while the paramedics were closing him up the crowd started chanting "booooring", you immediatly saw Punk get physically angry and he ran out and attacked Rey without getting his wound bandaged; that made me remember who Punk is. It was all uphill from there.

I started liking Punk during his run as the Straight Edge Messiah. I did not watch ROH and so I had no idea what sort of legacy he had there. I remember him teaming with DX at Survivor Series 2006 and getting a huge reaction. I remember wondering if I had missed some episodes down the line because I had no fucking idea who he was. Then he went to ECW, won MITB and even the WWE Championship and I still failed to see what was so special about him. He proclaimed himself to be a straight edge superstar and while it was a good message, I failed to see how it could be relevant in the world of wrestling.

All that changed when he turned heel and started feuding with Jeff Hardy. It was at this point that him being straight edge acquired a whole new meaning altogether. I loved it how he used the message that almost every cookie cutter face in the WWE gives to proclaim that he was better than everybody else. And in Jeff Hardy he had the perfect protagonist as Jeff was the guy who did not believe in living his life according to certain rules. Punk got immense heat during this feud and even after the feud. I remember distinctly how freaking R-Truth came out to interrupt him and got his biggest ovation till date in his WWE career.

I think that Punk could have been as popular as he is today in that gimmick as well. I guess it all boils down to plain luck at certain times. Punk was booked badly in that time and I do not care what anyone says in this regard because this is true. He could have conquered WWE at that point but he was put in ridiculously bad feuds and that stalled his progress. It seemed that while Punk was ready the creative had nothing for him at that point.

I liked him when he debued because and I'll admit this, I thought the Pepsi tattoo was beast and I stop watching around 2008 and then I restarted in 2010 so I missed the epic Hardy/Punk feud. But I really started to get into him around the end of 2010 when he was doing commentary and taking over the nexus. that's when I started to be a big believer in Punk.

I started to like him around his feud with Chavo on ECW. When he went to Raw, i realized he would be my favorite superstar, because i knew that HBK's days were numbered.

"John, what are you doing? John, my diet soda, what are you doing?" That did it for me.
His stint on the microphone was fantastic last year. I was hooked.

CM Punk vs. Raven in a Steel Cage match on an ROH event - before that I thought he was okay but that was when I began taking a keen interest in him. His persona then was pretty cool, pretty much the same he has now, but he'd be doing SES-esq things at the same time, calling people out for their substance abuse and what not. His first run with Colt in the Second City Saints was entertaining and for a minimal time Colt was viewed as as serious character, didn't last long after though.

I really got into Punk once I got Joe vs. Punk II. It was similar to Money in The Bank, in Chicago and for the ROH World Championship except Punk wasn't leaving and all that. They went for sixty minutes at an incredible pace, Punk performed the Pepsi Plunge a good three times and Joe wouldn't stay down. That was when I realized CM Punk had arrived and considering Meltzer handed the bout a five star match rating, guess I wasn't the only one.

At first Punk was to me was just one of those guys who I liked and thought they had it all but I wasn't necessarily a fan. Even when he first won the title from cashing his money in the bank against Edge, I believe it was, I was still like, "Eh, it's whatever." I stopped watching Smackdown YEARS AGO, I mean, probably back before 'Taker went back to the Deadman Gimmick in '04, So I obviously missed the straight edge society angle, but I did see a little bit of his feud with Rey and their ability to work together, and that's when I really noticed how good he was. His commentary on Raw also got my attention. When he took over Nexus, I really became a fan of his. Thought he was damn near perfect. Then of course, the infamous shoot, I remember watching it with my brother and while punk was shooting, I knew I was watching something very special and will be quite possibly never be forgotten.

I SWEAR TO GOD I LIKED HIM FIRST. I WAS FOLLOWING HIM WHEN HE WAS IN MR. BROOKS' PENIS.

Back in the day, I considered myself a fairly big Hardy mark. I know, I know. So I really started paying attention to Punk during their feud back in '09. He was also a big part of the Smackdown main event scene at the time, and his matches/work/gradual heel turn really won me over.

I noticed Punk as a player in the WWE suring his fued with Jeff Hardy, But when he started cutting promo's after eliminating guys in the rumble later on that year i becamea fan. I really think they should of let him win that rumble. It would have made that RoyalRumble more epic instead of Edge coming in 2nd to last and winning. Edge/Jericoh didnt need the belt to have a match at that years Mania, they had history of Jericoh replacing him with BigShow & bad mouthing him. So in short my answer is definately
2010 Royal Rumble...

I knew the guy by name and reputation when he signed with the WWE and I immediately start watching and liking him but his feud with JoMo in WWECW was amazing and the best thing going in WWE at the time for me.

He made me watch ECW and Smackdown and for me that says a lot, really a big fan of his and he's the main reason why I am still watching the big E.

Rumor had it that Punk had Serena fired because she was seen not adhering to the straight-edge lifestyle in her private time. In pro wrestling, it's often hard to tell what's true and not, but screw Punk if he really did this. He's not the WWE Police; it's not his job to to keep her in line, nor was he her boss.

First where the **** did you heard that rumor? While she was fired for that reason Punk had nothing to do with it, Vince did it because she was partying with fans and was drinking when she was with the SES.

Vince is the same guy who asked Barrett and the Nexus to keep the Nexus armband in airport and public and ask them to avoid speaking with fans so he didn't needed Punk for that decision.

Plus it may come down to opinion but back in the SES and new Nexus days Punk was right when he said he was the top heel of the company, no one could draw hear like he did, except maybe Vickie (before Miz was pushed).

I became a fan of Punk back in early 2007 when he was doing those promos about how he was straightedge and that meant he was drug free. This was before I knew how good he could be as a heel and I liked him because he was someone I could look up to. I also liked that he practiced that lifestyle in real life too. Then he turned heel, started doing awesome promos and I liked him even more after that. What's not to like? Punk is great at all he does.

When did I start liking CM Punk...?

2004, Ring of Honor's Joe vs. Punk II in Chicago, IL. It was my first ever Ring of Honor show, and the first time I even heard about Joe or Punk. Needless to say after that incredibly night I tried to follow both of them. Joe found success in TNA, while Punk eventually made it to WW-ECW and worked his way up.

I'll admit, even though I was excited to see an independent guy that I had met in Chicago make it to the big leagues, I didn't really like his early work with the WWE. I wasn't even high on him when he won the World title, and found him pretty boring actually. That was really before they let him have decent length matches and do any significant amount of mic work... I started getting behind him more when he became the "Straight-edge Savior" and imitated Jesus. I'm not quite sure if I enjoyed it, but I definitely took note. Very few people can pull interesting feuds out of the Big Show...

I honestly liked cm punk when he won mitb at wm 24. I was a complete fan when he had his feud with jeff hardy. I was a big hardy fan at the time, and I thought that the cage match they had to end hardy's carreer was awesome. Then the next week when punk came out as hardy, even with the facepaint, and doing the dance, I was like, this guys gonna be on top someday

Definitely started to take notice of his ability and became a fan when he turned heel and had the feud with Hardy. Never watched ROH or TNA when he was there. So I guess I've been a fan for 4 or 5 years.

I've been a fan since he debuted in ECW... I was never one of these people who had access to the indie scenes, so most people I knew were either in WWE or retired from WCW.... but I've always liked him, and even when he feuded with Hardy, I still cheered him on

I started liking punk when he turned heel against Jeff hardy and when he started on ecw but I'm a bigger fan of cm punk then I was back then

I never saw his ROH stuff until recently, so his debut on ECW was the first I had seen of him. I was pleasantly surprised by his Straight-Edge persona, because of which I found a name to attach to my way of thinking when it comes to drug and alcohol. I really became a big fan of his during his feud with Morrison over the ECW Title, and marked out when he won it. Of course, my level of admiration for him that I have now came about as a result of his feud with Jeff Hardy. The character he created for that storyline was very deep and relatable, and it was the first time I saw the potential of an all-time great in Punk. I now enjoy watching more than anyone else in wrestling right now, and it's nice to see him get a shot at the top spot.

Ive liked CM Punk since the day he stepped foot in the WWE when he Debuted on ECW in August 2006. I had heard good things about him from his ROH days and I liked the Promos they did for him before he Debuted. When he finally won the ECW Title I was very happy for him and when he Cashed in MITB for his 1st World Heavyweight Title. His Feuds with Jeff Hardy & Undertaker on Smackdown were awesome,I was not big on his SES run but when he took the Mic back in June of this year and spoke his mind I immedietly pledged my fandom back to him 100%. Im glad he is now getting the chance to be a Top Face in the Company. BEST IN THE WORLD!

I started watching wrestling in general in mid-2005 so I didn't know much of anything about ROH or CM Punk until Punk's WWE debut in 06. I wasn't all that fond of him from 06-08 and shortly after WM24 I stopped watching wrestling until mid-2010, so I missed a lot of Punk in SES, and when I was watching again I was only watching RAW and I didnt' read SD! spoilers, so I didn't see Punk. I really became a fan of him once he was traded to RAW last year and went on commentary and then became leader of Nexus (though it ended up killing Nexus later on). His commentary was absolute gold and so were his promos following his Nexus takeover, and I couldn't help but become a fan. I was so angry when I first heard he may have been leaving, but I was so glad that he instead received hig big push.

During his feud with Jeff Hardy. I tried to get into him when he was on RAW as The World Champion, but he just seemed so vanilla to me.

His feud with Jeff Hardy on Smackdown won me over

In TNA with when he was teaming with Dinero and Raven. A few years ago TNA PPVs were shown on The Wrestling Channel in the UK so I'm not sure how far behind the American shows it was. As for WWE I've like him since the get go, with the exception of the feud with Rey, I just wasn't a fan of that storyline.

When he started the whole Straight Edge Society stable. Though the "society" itself turned out to be awful, it could have been a lot better if the right people were placed into the group. Before that he was just very vanilla to me. He was very different from the rest of the roster, he looked more like a kid straight out of a rock concert until he cut off his hair.

Ive always since back when he first cashed on the Money in the Bank. I started becoming for of a punk "fan" when he became the leader of Nexus

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back