What's the Appeal of AJ Styles Anywhere but TNA?

Rooster Smith

Dark Match Winner
So...

People are really psyched about AJ taking the belt away from TNA. In many cases there's a feeling that TNA is "Really doing it!" They're doing that thing that the WWE "foolishly decided not to do!"

"Good on you, TNA! Whooooooo!"

Look, nobody is a better wrestling fan than a TNA fan. That company has sucked for ages and you guys stuck with it. Fair weather fans be damned.

But honestly I just don't get. I love the idea of AJ sarcastically defending the belt and all. I think he's made the belt the only title in TNA worth anything (Besides the KO title.) JUST BY WINNING IT.

And I'm all for him taking the belt "to the fans" and all. But you know where his fans are?

AT IMPACT TAPINGS!!!

They're not in Mexico. I love Mexico. But is TNA THAT popular in Mexico? If so, is TNA MORE popular in Mexico?

I have no problem with AJ taking the belt and defending it elsewhere. There is something to be said about increasing the presitige and awareness of the title over seas.

What I have a problem with is AJ taking the belt to Mexico INSTEAD OF THE IMPACT TAPING.

IN ADDITION TO? I'm all for it. Dixie could then give him something to play off of. "Don't you dare do that again, AJ! Taking my belt to Mexico! What's wrong with you!?"

INSTEAD OF? Why on God's green earth would they do that? What a horrible decision in my eyes.

Yesterday's episode was the first shitty one in five or six weeks. It could have used one AJ Styles segment or match. And I think we could always use a World Champion on the program.

Please enlighten me guys. What the hell is the appeal here?

Other random comments about yesterdays 'sode.​

• I can't believe they went through a summery of EVERY competitor of the tournament individually. That was so akward. Could have been later, not during the introductions.
  • TNA security sucks. It's one thing not to show up when Ken Anderson is getting beat down. It's another thing to run away in fear. Jesus Christ.
  • Another tournament in pro wrestling. Fuck me! AJ's the real champ. Just keep it simple, TNA.
  • I love Storm but I was rooting against him so hard last night. Just hate tag teams that aren't real tag teams.
  • Dixie Carter had no energy last night. None. Just completely half assed it.
  • Sting's gotta stop wrestling with a shirt on. It's fucking ridiculous now. I don't care how bad he looks.
  • It's not that Magnus is terrible. It's just that there are a million people on the TNA roster that could use the spotlight. Most of them were in that mini rumble yesterday.
  • Did they ever explain the relationship between Tapa and Kim? Just strikes me as weird. What does Tapa get out of the arrangement?

I think AJ is not really bringing the title to his fans, as much as it is, wrestling fans. Wasn't on of his main complaints that Dixie didn't respect him, and others like him, and that she instead, chose to throw money at Hogan and other people that were a waste? Because I remember in his speech to Dixie "Where are the guys like Low Ki, Jay Lethal, etc.?" He then made comments about paying people to take long "vacations". By doing that, he branded TNA "non-wrestling" so to speak. But what I'd actually like to know, is if someone who exclusively watches AAA and Wrestle-1 and so on, actually cares that AJ Styles, the TNA champ, is coming into their promotion to defend an "American" belt. For us, it may be one thing, but for someone who lives in Mexico or Japan, it's something else.

First of all.

"Good on you, TNA! Whooooooo!"

It's "Wooo". "Who" is what you ask when you want to know about someone.

Second, the idea behind AJ leaving is 2 concepts. I'm almost sure though that both will go over your head.

1) AJ defending his title in smaller promotions is a throwback to the "territory" days where the NWA Champion would for to different promotions defending the belt. AJ Styles is being a wrestling journeyman. Which, once again, will probably go over your head. It also leads into reason #2.

2) It's a long gap from BFG to Genesis. With the actual champion gone, there's a level of interest being built on him coming back. We know he still has the physical title. We know he still defends it. He's mentioned constantly on commentary. It's build up for his return as the "true" champion. If you really need the champion to be there on the broadcast to build his intrigue, you're too simplistic. All TNA is doing is using the everlasting booking tool of "hype".

Also, you're dumb if you though yesterday's episode of Impact was bad. The week before? That was bad. This one? No.

I think AJ is not really bringing the title to his fans, as much as it is, wrestling fans. Wasn't on of his main complaints that Dixie didn't respect him, and others like him, and that she instead, chose to throw money at Hogan and other people that were a waste? Because I remember in his speech to Dixie "Where are the guys like Low Ki, Jay Lethal, etc.?" He then made comments about paying people to take long "vacations". By doing that, he branded TNA "non-wrestling" so to speak. But what I'd actually like to know, is if someone who exclusively watches AAA and Wrestle-1 and so on, actually cares that AJ Styles, the TNA champ, is coming into their promotion to defend an "American" belt. For us, it may be one thing, but for someone who lives in Mexico or Japan, it's something else.

Yeah, the motives are pretty much along those lines I reckon.

And that's exactly what I worry about, that those fans won't care, or won't care as much as the American fans that don't get to see AJ on tv.

First of all.

Second, the idea behind AJ leaving is 2 concepts. I'm almost sure though that both will go over your head.

1) AJ defending his title in smaller promotions is a throwback to the "territory" days where the NWA Champion would for to different promotions defending the belt. AJ Styles is being a wrestling journeyman. Which, once again, will probably go over your head. It also leads into reason #2.

2) It's a long gap from BFG to Genesis. With the actual champion gone, there's a level of interest being built on him coming back. We know he still has the physical title. We know he still defends it. He's mentioned constantly on commentary. It's build up for his return as the "true" champion. If you really need the champion to be there on the broadcast to build his intrigue, you're too simplistic. All TNA is doing is using the everlasting booking tool of "hype".

Also, you're dumb if you though yesterday's episode of Impact was bad. The week before? That was bad. This one? No.

You could do it both ways. I've seen "Whooooooo!" spelled as "Woooo!" and I just picked the one I liked better.

ARe you sure BOTH concepts will go over my head? Both of them? Gee golley, I must be pretty stupid. But I'll try to understand Pro Wrestling as best I can, George.

1. Being a Journeyman doesn't mean what you think it means. Being a journeyman doesn't have anything to do with the terriotry way of doing things. It means your a veteran who has been around for awhile but never or rarely applied their trade at an elite level.

2. It's not that these two things go over my head I just don't find them entertaining. When you start talking about something being too simplistic you gotta worry about falling into the trap of over thinking things.

Sure, things can be too simple. Or they can be too complicated. How do you know which is which?

It's all about entertainment. If you're entertaining you're doing things right.

But taking a long time to do things and not having a beloved wrestler on your program isn't a good thing by and large.

You want complicated wrestling that isn't too simplistic? Create something interesting. I say, don't drag it out and leave your star off your program.

First of all.

Wow... someone either has a complex, got their Cheerios pissed in... or both.

I can buy into the "wrestling journeyman" thing if this wasn't like... 2013 and the whole territorial concept of wrestling wasn't nearly, what, 30 years old now? I could buy into the "wrestling journeyman" thing if he was defending the title in a place that might matter more to TNA fans, like somewhere in America. Striking up a deal with RoH. Striking up a deal with a Florida based local fed, if there are any, since TNA does their tapings there.

But... Mexico?

Really?

You're not only taking your main title to a smaller federation, but you're also taking it to a country that the average wrestling fan doesn't really care about. I'm sorry, this is not the 90s when Ultimo Dragon paraded the J-Crown titles around in WCW. Dragon took a big title from an (arguably) smaller (or at least lesser known) federation and brought it to a foreign larger federation.

AJ is taking the top title to an arguably (in the average fans' eyes) smaller federation.

How is this supposed to keep us interested? Because the announcers drop his name?

Impact actually does air in Mexico.
TNA works with AAA sometimes which is one of the top two companies in Mexico. So a TNA wrestler going there and defending the title on such a big stage in their country may not help from an American standpoint but it's a great way to generate interest in Mexico. AJ is going to be wrestling one of the top guys in the country there. You'd have to think that if people like what they see then they're likely to tune into Impact to see what else they have to offer.
AAA in Mexico is much bigger than TNA is in America. You're looking at a very broad audience. So from that perspective it makes sense.

I agree from an American standpoint it does nothing for the casual viewer. I'm sure they won't care much about Mexico or Japan or anywhere else AJ might go. From a company stance though it's a great way to create some buzz.

Impact actually does air in Mexico.
TNA works with AAA sometimes which is one of the top two companies in Mexico. So a TNA wrestler going there and defending the title on such a big stage in their country may not help from an American standpoint but it's a great way to generate interest in Mexico. AJ is going to be wrestling one of the top guys in the country there. You'd have to think that if people like what they see then they're likely to tune into Impact to see what else they have to offer.
AAA in Mexico is much bigger than TNA is in America. You're looking at a very broad audience. So from that perspective it makes sense.

I agree from an American standpoint it does nothing for the casual viewer. I'm sure they won't care much about Mexico or Japan or anywhere else AJ might go. From a company stance though it's a great way to create some buzz.

That's a great point about airing in Mexico. That'll help out TNA for sure and make the Mexican audience feel cared about.

I don't care about the American point of view, we're all wrestling fans together. Man Slammin' action is the universal language.

I don't know how much bigger AAA is in Mexico than TNA is in America though.

I remember thinking for some reason that wrestling in Japan was huge and then I found out that New Japan got sold for like 6 million or something like that?

But you might be right, based on TNA attendance figures since they've been on the road.

That's a pretty good argument. I still feel like Style should be in Mexico IN ADDITION to Impact Wrestling tapings as opposed to INSTEAD OF ...

But that's a damn good point.

See what I mean by it going over your head? Or heads now I guess. You two think so inside the box that a simple twist of a World Champion being elsewhere makes you think the product is losing quality.

AAA is by the way, a far bigger promotion than ROH. Just like Mexico has a by far, bigger fan base for wrestling than the U.S. Clocking in 13,000 attendance for their Triplemania event. That beats TNA. So it's indeed a far bigger deal to go there than ROH where you'd probably have streaming issues and still not see him.

Sure, things can be too simple. Or they can be too complicated. How do you know which is which?
How complicated is a champion leaving and later returning to prove he's the real one?

It's all about entertainment. If you're entertaining you're doing things right.

But taking a long time to do things and not having a beloved wrestler on your program isn't a good thing by and large.
People are still being entertained by the rest of the roster. As well as being intrigued by AJ's "tour". You two on the other hand, well seem to be the minority.

You want complicated wrestling that isn't too simplistic? Create something interesting. I say, don't drag it out and leave your star off your program.
Like having the World Champion run off with the World title? Sounds like someone is going in circles.

See what I mean by it going over your head? Or heads now I guess. You two think so inside the box that a simple twist of a World Champion being elsewhere makes you think the product is losing quality.

AAA is by the way, a far bigger promotion than ROH. Clocking in 13,000 attendance for their Triplemania event. That beats TNA. So it's indeed a far bigger deal to go there than ROH.

Unfortunately you didn't actually address the points I actually made.

Yeah, AAA is a larger organization than RoH, but that matters more to the Mexican fans and the "hardcore" TNA fans. Not the casual ones. Not the ones that catch TNA "now and then," not the ones that watch TNA and WWE but nothing else.

To the average American fan, why are they supposed to care and continue to be interested in AJ going to Mexico to defend the title?

Dropping AJ's name on commentary, over what may be an extended period of time, may not keep people interested if he continues to defend the title in foreign locations. To casual/average fans it doesn't matter if AAA or New Japan or whatever foreign fed you want to name is actually bigger in the country of origin, they will more likely view that fed as smaller because it's not taking place here and it's not something they watch or have even heard of.

Nah, I don't think the product is losing quality because the champion is somewhere else. I think the product lost quality (For only one week.) because the champ wasn't on the show.

Forget wether or not anything is inside the box, or outside the box.

That has nothing to do with anything.

Is it good? That's where we disagree. It's not that I don't get it.

Don't like it ...

Unfortunately you didn't actually address the points I actually made.

Yeah, AAA is a larger organization than RoH, but that matters more to the Mexican fans and the "hardcore" TNA fans. Not the casual ones. Not the ones that catch TNA "now and then," not the ones that watch TNA and WWE but nothing else.
And the casual fan is supposed to care about ROH? You know, a rival promotion fighting for the same fanbase in the same country?
To the average American fan, why are they supposed to care and continue to be interested in AJ going to Mexico to defend the title?
They're supposed to wonder where he is and when will he come back because last I checked, TNA never said he was in AAA.

Dropping AJ's name on commentary, over what may be an extended period of time, may not keep people interested if he continues to defend the title in foreign locations. To casual/average fans it doesn't matter if AAA or New Japan or whatever foreign fed you want to name is actually bigger in the country of origin, they will more likely view that fed as smaller because it's not taking place here and it's not something they watch or have even heard of.
Once again, why the fuck would AJ being in ROH make the difference? That would make it stupid to have him in the obviously smaller promotion.

Nah, I don't think the product is losing quality because the champion is somewhere else. I think the product lost quality (For only one week.) because the champ wasn't on the show.
Oh dear. Good wrestling. Good promos. No World Champ. That's terrible. You're gonna tell be the one where AJ was in was a better show? The one with the long ass opening promo and almost no wrestling?

Forget wether or not anything is inside the box, or outside the box.
I would, but you can't seem to spell so I lose my train of thought.
That has nothing to do with anything.
Yes it does. You two idiots keep saying he should be in ROH because "it's bigger". A) It's not. B) ROH would be the one benefiting and not TNA. TNA is reaching to other markets with this.
Is it good? That's where we disagree. It's not that I don't get it.

Don't like it ...
Too bad. The Mexican's like it. Japanese like it. Viewers don't seem to lose much interest in the product either. Maybe it's because they aren't so shallow as needing a World Champion wrestling on their TV to find a show enjoyable.

Oh dear. Good wrestling. Good promos. No World Champ. That's terrible. You're gonna tell be the one where AJ was in was a better show? The one with the long ass opening promo and almost no wrestling?

I would, but you can't seem to spell so I lose my train of thought.
Yes it does. You two idiots keep saying he should be in ROH because "it's bigger". A) It's not. B) ROH would be the one benefiting and not TNA. TNA is reaching to other markets with this.
Too bad. The Mexican's like it. Japanese like it. Viewers don't seem to lose much interest in the product either. Maybe it's because they aren't so shallow as needing a World Champion wrestling on their TV to find a show enjoyable.

Yeah that other show was a better show.

Why did you just call me an idiot because I disagreed with you?

Now I have to go write about it in my hurt feelings journal.

And you know what, buddy? I'm not gonna put you on my buddy list now. So it looks like you ruined it for yourself, didn't ya?

It's a shame too. I got mad cute photos of cats I was gonna send ya. Mad Cute!

And the casual fan is supposed to care about ROH? You know, a rival promotion fighting for the same fanbase in the same country?They're supposed to wonder where he is and when will he come back because last I checked, TNA never said he was in AAA.

Once again, why the fuck would AJ being in ROH make the difference? That would make it stupid to have him in the obviously smaller promotion.

And you claim others aren't getting it.

How many times do I have to say this?

In America vs. in a foreign country.

Casual/average fans, American fans, will most likely have more interest in AJ defending his TNA title outside of TNA if it's in an American fed, regardless of size. Why? Because it's "local," it's easier to keep tabs on, it's easier to promote, it can be tied more directly into TNA, etc, etc.

You could literally have made a deal, as I said previously, with a local Florida fed (if there are any) and say "hey, TNA fans, we have your world champion down the street at WrestlePaloozaManiaGrandSlamForGlory! Come watch!" and that would have generated more ability for casual fans to take interest. Putting AJ in an unknown fed stateside is a stronger position than putting him in an unknown fed that's foreign, because once again, average/casual American fans will naturally think less of foreign feds they know nothing about.

How are you not getting this?

It's really quite simple.

Home soil.
Foreign soil.

I can see both sides of that argument. Yes, the average wrestling fan won't care as much about a promotion that is for one, in another country, and on top of that, has the majority of it's talent using a different language (assuming?). And in the end, that's primarily who TNA needs to target. WWE has done it, concentrating on the casual fan, I mean, and it's worked for them.

But at the same time, they need to appeal to the fans they've had since the beginning, the not as casual fans. And to us, we know that AAA is a bigger promotion in the grand scheme of things, than RoH is. But again, we're the minority.

Also, though, can the casual fan see any importance in RoH hype, unless we bring up who some of the names that were in it were (Punk, Bryan, Joe)...which then makes it lose hype because those people are no longer there/are in the "other" company. It is much easier to say that "this foreign guy from Mexico" is HUGE and have the casual fan believe it, because they don't know for sure...

At least, it's my take on it all.

I can see both sides of that argument. Yes, the average wrestling fan won't care as much about a promotion that is for one, in another country, and on top of that, has the majority of it's talent using a different language (assuming?). And in the end, that's primarily who TNA needs to target. WWE has done it, concentrating on the casual fan, I mean, and it's worked for them.

But at the same time, they need to appeal to the fans they've had since the beginning, the not as casual fans. And to us, we know that AAA is a bigger promotion in the grand scheme of things, than RoH is. But again, we're the minority.

Also, though, can the casual fan see any importance in RoH hype, unless we bring up who some of the names that were in it were (Punk, Bryan, Joe)...which then makes it lose hype because those people are no longer there/are in the "other" company. It is much easier to say that "this foreign guy from Mexico" is HUGE and have the casual fan believe it, because they don't know for sure...

The problem with the debate here is KillJoy keeps harping on RoH despite the fact that naming RoH was nothing more really than a simple example of a stateside fed that isn't TNA, and obviously not WWE.

I have mentioned, several times now, that TNA could have squared a deal with a local Florida based fed (if any exist) to generate buzz, especially since they are returning to taping and not touring.

Obviously it depends on the fan.

But I think AAA and ROH both have draw backs in terms of getting those fans on board and getting TNA fans to care about those promotions.

I would probably say there is more crossover for ROH, a lot of those fans are more likely to be TNA fans already or be open to watching TNA.

But then again ... as a previous poster said, TNA airs in MExico, which is pretty cool. So that could be a great thing for awareness there.

So let me see if I got it straight.

* You prefer TNA hand over their World Champion to rival ROH instead of companies TNA has established working relationships with in international markets.

* You believe the quality of the program depends on whether the champion is there or not, regardless of anything else.

* Believe casual fans and ROH actually mix.

* Apparently think it matters that AJ defends in 'Murica.

Fact is TNA is touring their top asset to companies that work with them while pushing a storyline inspired by something WWE didn't do. People are liking it.

* You prefer TNA hand over their World Champiin to rival ROH instead of companies TNA has established working relationships with in international markets.

* You believe the quality of the program depends on whether the champion is there or not, regardless of anything else.

Damn Killjoy you are killing them tonight! I came in and after reading the OP I thought "this is pretty silly, how can I explain to this guy everything good about this" and then as I was scrolling down to the quick reply box I read you schooling him all over the thread.

With that being said, I don't want to beat a dead horse so I'll just say yesterday's impact was really good for the most part. I thought the opening segment was great Dixie had some nice zingers in there and all their packages worked nicely. I also don't see the big deal about Magnus but I think he'll be the one to win the tournament even though I want Roode to win. As far as Sting wrestling in a shirt, who cares. As far as AJ not being on the show, I like when he's on there because he's one of my favorites WWE or TNA but the show was good without him. I did have a problem with Anderson though because I'd rather his return have been a promo the first week then maybe a brawl last night instead of two brawls when he suddenly no authorized to be in the building even though he had an entrance video and theme. There was something else I was going to say but I forgot now.

* You prefer TNA hand over their World Champiin to rival ROH instead of companies TNA has established working relationships with in international markets.

Not sure who you're directing this to, but my answer:

1. No, not to RoH. As I said RoH was simply an example of a smaller federation stateside. As I have said, several times now, arranging a deal with a local Flordia federation would have been amazing especially since TNA is going back to tapings currently/in the near future. That generates local buzz. That generates stateside buzz. That generates a feel of AJ being right outside TNA's door still defending what they're claiming he no longer has. Having it in Mexico means little to most fans.

2. Of course quality can rise and fall based on your top guy not being there, especially if it's an extended separation, moreso if the title isn't placed on someone new quickly. It's not a "regardless of anything else" because a product on a whole can suffer if the guys at the top aren't there.

3. One more time. RoH was a stateside example of a smaller federation than TNA. For whatever reason you're stuck on the fact that I mentioned the letters "R", "O," and "H" together rather than seeing the actual point.

The problem with the debate here is KillJoy keeps harping on RoH despite the fact that naming RoH was nothing more really than a simple example of a stateside fed that isn't TNA, and obviously not WWE.

I have mentioned, several times now, that TNA could have squared a deal with a local Florida based fed (if any exist) to generate buzz, especially since they are returning to taping and not touring.

I know, and I agree it could work, as long as it was done right. I just think that to get it to seem important would be harder to do for TNA. Plus, the whole thing about it being all FL based would make it seem more confined and secluded to me. But it's what you think would work, so I respect your opinion on it.

I know, and I agree it could work, as long as it was done right. I just think that to get it to seem important would be harder to do for TNA. Plus, the whole thing about it being all FL based would make it seem more confined and secluded to me. But it's what you think would work, so I respect your opinion on it.

It would feel less secluded than it being in Mexico, which average TNA fans don't even have on their radar.

The biggest reason I say a Florida based indy federation is because you could, in theory, literally have AJ defending his title within spitting distance of where Impact takes places. TNA fans could see AJ carrying the belt around town, they could see him in person just feet away from TNA as he defends what TNA is claiming he no longer has the right to defend.

TNA has most of its fans in America, but America is also where they are hurting. Promoting AJ in Mexico doesn't help draw in more American fans. It may draw in more Mexican fans... but then why would they continue interest once AJ is "under contract" again in TNA?

It would feel less secluded than it being in Mexico, which average TNA fans don't even have on their radar.
When did you take a census on where TNA fans come from? At least AAA airs it's programming online weekly as well as on channels the US has.
The biggest reason I say a Florida based indy federation is because you could, in theory, literally have AJ defending his title within spitting distance of where Impact takes places.
Of course ignoring the fact that TNA would be filming every 2 or 3 weeks making it totally pointless. Is there even a Florida promotion that has any decent level of exposure or associated to TNA? As opposed to some random ass indy promotion not even we know of.

TNA fans could see AJ carrying the belt around town, they could see him in person just feet away from TNA as he defends what TNA is claiming he no longer has the right to defend.
Or he could go to wrestling shows. He's supposed to wrestle not be a fucking tourist attraction.

TNA has most of its fans in America,
No they don't. The UK is their biggest fanbase.
but America is also where they are hurting.
They tour all of the U.S.
Promoting AJ in Mexico doesn't help draw in more American fans.
Mexico is a part of North America. Hell if AJ isn't wrestling with TNA title in WWE, he's not gonna draw any U.S. viewers.
It may draw in more Mexican fans...
That's wrong why? Do they need a visa to watch?
but then why would they continue interest once AJ is "under contract" again in TNA?
Because fans of AAA who liked AJ Styles wrestling and defeating the top star of AAA can follow him on Impact Wrestling on Viva Sports. Or did you think TNA didn't air there?

When did you take a census on where TNA fans come from?

When did you?

At least AAA airs it's programming online weekly as well as on channels the US has.

And how many average TNA fans know this? How many average TNA fans even know TNA deals with AAA?

Of course ignoring the fact that TNA would be filming every 2 or 3 weeks making it totally pointless. Is there even a Florida promotion that has any decent level of exposure or associated to TNA? As opposed to some random ass indy promotion not even we know of.

Because a random ass Mexican fed (to the average viewer) is better? You think creative writers and backstage mangers can't come up with scenarios that would work to fit into the taped television shows?

Or he could go to wrestling shows. He's supposed to wrestle not be a fucking tourist attraction.

Funny... didn't I say he could defend the title in promotions in Florida? And it's funny you say "he isn't a tourist attraction" when some of the people in the audience at tapings are tourists.

No they don't. The UK is their biggest fanbase.

Oh? So when was your census?

They tour all of the U.S.Mexico is a part of North America. Hell if AJ isn't wrestling with TNA title in WWE, he's not gonna draw any U.S. viewers.

Mexican fans aren't United States fans last I checked.

That's wrong why? Do they need a visa to watch?

Who said it's wrong? I'm saying it's not as good as pulling in more interest in the states.

Because fans of AAA who liked AJ Styles wrestling and defeating the top star of AAA can follow him on Impact Wrestling on Viva Sports. Or did you think TNA didn't air there?

I never said it didn't air there. But when AJ stops wrestling in AAA, and goes back to TNA full time, he's no longer in AAA. Once a star is no longer in a particular federation for an extended time, people can lose interest. I didn't follow Angle when he went to Japan or Mexico, as he was no longer in a home side federation that I watched. Not every fan follows the performer wherever they go and thus a loss of fan base happens.

Give me some harder questions next time.

We're talking about the casual average American TNA fan here. It's factually accurate that TNA is not doing well financially (I'm not on the bandwagon of they should go under or be sold mind you) and not doing well in terms of viewer numbers, attendance, etc. Shipping their top guy off to a foreign country won't help rope in the casual wrestling fan which are the type of fans that actually help grow businesses.

You draw the attention of casual fans. Those casual fans show interest and watch more. The more they watch, the more they spread the word. Casual fans are less likely to trudge through the internet looking for the latest AAA match that AJ was in. If they're shown it to get their attention then great. But if AJ remains stateside, especially close to where TNA actually is going to be settling down, it's easier to get access to him. It's easier to see him wrestle. It's easier to see him defend the title. It's easier to believe that he's brought the title "to the fans." It's easier to see he's rejecting authority. It's easier to write him in as all this is happened.

I'm going to disregard the OP's focus on Mexico and answer the question posed in the thread title, because this debate is getting stupid. From my perspective, the appeal isn't in what country or promotion AJ Styles is defending or will defend the TNA title, but simply in the fact that he's doing it outside of TNA. When the OP said that there is "a feeling that TNA is really doing it," I think he sort of answered his own question. It's certainly the best answer put forth so far, because no one else has really addressed that aspect. Instead, there's been a lot of jibber-jabber about why TNA is doing this, how well it will work at drawing fans, casual fans' awareness of ROH or AAA, how good Impact has been, and whatever the hell else.

All of that nonsense is irrelevant. Way too often do fans of our ilk let TNA's business side interfere with our like or dislike of what they're doing on television. TNA is doing their spin on an idea that we saw WWE do their spin on a couple years ago, and they're expanding on the premise by actually having the departed champion fight outside the company. That expansion in and of itself is the appeal for the core fanbase and hardcore wrestling fan. I'm sure for many it appeals to them in a morbid, waiting for the train to derail sort of way, but the "LOLTNA" sect will pay attention to whatever the company does just to get that fix. For TNA fans and wrestling junkies, they just want to see what Dixie, AJ, and the creative staff do with this storyline.

From what I've watched of TNA recently, they aren't doing a bad job with it. There's been some weird continuity and logic stuff (which is par for the course in all of wrestling), but Dixie and AJ have played their roles to the best of their ability. They aren't veiling that they're borrowing this angle and attempting to do it better, and while it's easy to deride TNA for perceptions of aping WWE, a modicum of credit is due to them for being willing to take a chance and let their top guy and top title go away for a while.

I'm going to disregard the OP's focus on Mexico and answer the question posed in the thread title, because this debate is getting stupid. From my perspective, the appeal isn't in what country or promotion AJ Styles is defending or will defend the TNA title, but simply in the fact that he's doing it outside of TNA. When the OP said that there is "a feeling that TNA is really doing it," I think he sort of answered his own question. It's certainly the best answer put forth so far, because no one else has really addressed that aspect. Instead, there's been a lot of jibber-jabber about why TNA is doing this, how well it will work at drawing fans, casual fans' awareness of ROH or AAA, how good Impact has been, and whatever the hell else.

All of that nonsense is irrelevant. Way too often do fans of our ilk let TNA's business side interfere with our like or dislike of what they're doing on television. TNA is doing their spin on an idea that we saw WWE do their spin on a couple years ago, and they're expanding on the premise by actually having the departed champion fight outside the company. That expansion in and of itself is the appeal for the core fanbase and hardcore wrestling fan. I'm sure for many it appeals to them in a morbid, waiting for the train to derail sort of way, but the "LOLTNA" sect will pay attention to whatever the company does just to get that fix. For TNA fans and wrestling junkies, they just want to see what Dixie, AJ, and the creative staff do with this storyline.

From what I've watched of TNA recently, they aren't doing a bad job with it. There's been some weird continuity and logic stuff (which is par for the course in all of wrestling), but Dixie and AJ have played their roles to the best of their ability. They aren't veiling that they're borrowing this angle and attempting to do it better, and while it's easy to deride TNA for perceptions of aping WWE, a modicum of credit is due to them for being willing to take a chance and let their top guy and top title go away for a while.

Suggesting how they do what they're trying to do being irrelevant is ignorant of how business works and how to get a business more popular.

Yes, it's amazingly cool that AJ is actually going to be defending the title outside of the confines of TNA, but if only five people know about it... how does that bring in the 500 people TNA needs to keep continuing? You can talk about the "hardcore fan" until you're blue in the face. Currently the "hardcore fan" is the type of fan most interested in TNA... and TNA has a very small viewership.

If you're claiming the "how" in the way things are done is "jibber-jabber" you really aren't providing anything useful to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back