What would the Horseman have been without JJ Dillon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkyway!

Hodor!
I'm probably going to keep this short, and sweet. Becuase I want to see what the people have to say.

I'm simply going to throw out ideas for you guys to discuss, I'm sharing no opinions just yet, and we'll see how this turns out.

The Four Horseman were probably the best, and most well known faction in the history of professional wrestling. Something made all of these men unique, they could all speak, better than most anyone in the entire locker room. A managers job during the time, was usually to speak for their wrestler, that would have been mediocre at best without their manager. Seeing as how the Four Horseman could do these things alone, did they really need JJ Dillon?

I don't think the faction 'needed' him exactly, but he was only a small piece of a gigantic puzzle. The Horsemen came and went with Flair. Simple as that. Sure, JJ Dillon was great and to me, was an intricate part of the Horsemen, but the Horsemen would have been fine without him. The only reason he was used mostly was when Lex Luger joined. He had to basically set up his promos for him. Luger was as green as Gak and to me, without Dillon, he would have been even worse than he was during that time, but Dillon didn't need to help out anyone else in the Horsemen. They could all cut promo's on their own.

Despite Dilllon having that manager feel, he wasn't as big of a part of the faction as say, Ole Anderson, Tully, or Arn were. He was merely their 'adviser' and was there because he managed Tully Blanchard when the faction first started. The Horsemen would have been fine, but I'm glad he was still part of the team.

I don't think the faction 'needed' him exactly, but he was only a small piece of a gigantic puzzle.

I feel like in this gigantic puzzle, JJ Dillon was the glue that held all the pieces together. He brought stability, and maturity to the group. The Four Horseman was a group of four men, who had a mouth and knew how to run it. They each had their own egos. You gets four type A personallities in one faction/room. They begin to explode. JJ Dillon, held these men together, so that the Horseman wouldn't, and couldn't break up.

The Horsemen came and went with Flair. Simple as that.

Of course. I'm not saying Flair wasn't the head to the Horseman, I'm simply saying the Dillon was the glue, that held the body parts, to the head. Xfear stated in his thread in the bar room, everyone (Include JJ Dillon) were simply supporting crews for Flair. Which I completely, and entirely agree with. But, someone, and something had to help these men stay together. JJ Dillon was just that man.

Sure, JJ Dillon was great and to me, was an intricate part of the Horsemen, but the Horsemen would have been fine without him.

I disagree. I think sooner or later one of the horseman would get tired of Flair hogging the spotlight (backstage) and break away, causing another, and another. I believe Dillon was the reason that didn't occur.

So Milky wants a spanking. Welp, guess I have to crack whip.

I feel like in this gigantic puzzle, JJ Dillon was the glue that held all the pieces together.

Not really. He was a mouthpiece who hooked the Horsemen up with pussy. If you're going kayfabe here. If anything, he was a detriment. He brought to the forefront Ole's absence, which wasn't a big deal until he brought it up. If he didn't mention that, who knows? Maybe Ole stays until he retired instead of being kicked to the curb.

He brought stability, and maturity to the group.

These guys rode in limo's, leer jets, and nice cars. Plus they were able to wrestle all their opponents, party, and still have time to work out. JJ Dillon wasn't needed to hold anything together. He was just an in between for women and people who wanted a piece of them.

The Four Horseman was a group of four men, who had a mouth and knew how to run it. They each had their own egos. You gets four type A personallities in one faction/room. They begin to explode.

The Horsemen were known for their unity. Arn, Tully, and Ric were all a cohesive unit. As a matter of fact, the only tensions brought in were from JJ. Remember Luger? Yea, it was JJ's idea to take on the stud and what happened? He was greedy, and turned on the Horsemen and ended up hurt. All unnecessary. Dillon actually caused more problems then he helped prevent. JJ was a troublemaker. And he also cost them their War Games match in 1986.

JJ Dillon, held these men together, so that the Horseman wouldn't, and couldn't break up.

Flair having the belt held the men together. Them partying, being friends, and dominating other facets of wrestling held them together. Tensions were only high when a member lost his belt and there was nothing JJ could do about that. It was up to said Horsemen to win that belt back.

Of course. I'm not saying Flair wasn't the head to the Horseman, I'm simply saying the Dillon was the glue, that held the body parts, to the head.

With Flair being the head, he WAS the glue. As the Horsemen went, Flair went. JJ was expendable. He was just a figurehead and a talking head for a Luger who couldn't cut promos. The glue was their titles more than JJ.

Xfear stated in his thread in the bar room, everyone (Include JJ Dillon) were simply supporting crews for Flair. Which I completely, and entirely agree with.

That's good, because it's true.

But, someone, and something had to help these men stay together. JJ Dillon was just that man.

That would be Flair. Dillion didn't do anything more than make sure they got to their destinations on time or hooked up with the right woman. No more, no less.

I disagree. I think sooner or later one of the horseman would get tired of Flair hogging the spotlight (backstage) and break away, causing another, and another. I believe Dillon was the reason that didn't occur.

I sincerely love that you've taken a stance here, but it's a bad one. When someone got tired of Flair hogging the spotlight, Tully and Arn took care of them. Not JJ. Luger got tired of things, so Arn and Tully took care of him. JJ caused that problem by bringing in Luger. Same goes for Ole. Ole was absent a lot due to him being with his son more often and no one really cared until JJ brought it up, which caused Tully to go on a tangent about it, which made Ole hit him, and caused him to be kicked out of the Horsemen. All because JJ ran his mouth. So if JJ was the glue, he was cheap glue.

Wow, ok. I'm not sure I want to get in the middle of this catfight.

J.J. Dillon was an important member of the Original Horsemen for 2 big reasons as far as I can see.

1.) I agree for the most part that all of the originals could hold their own on a mic with one huge exception. I'm sorry, Ole Anderson was not entertaining on the mic. This was not his fault. Ole was on his last leg. He was from a different era. When he was running around with Lars and Gene a wrestler was expected to be able to say a couple words before and after a match. This Ole could do. Hold an engaging promo by himself? Hell no. The main reason he was in the original group was because Arn kinda looked like him and he was a big influence on Arn getting over being "green" in the beginning of his career.

2. I'm a big fan of Tully Blanchard but lets face it. He was a hot head with a coke problem. It never hurts to have another person around with Tully. You never knew what was going to come out of his mouth.

While not neeed per say he did play a big part. Him bringing in Barry, always at ringside if the guys got in trouble and bailing them out either with his shoe or getting them a DQ to save a title, and he more than held his own as a mouth-piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back