• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ric Flair a joke?

VABurghman

Pre-Show Stalwart
Seriously folks. Has Ric Flair thrown away his legacy with how he is portrayed now and how he was portrayed in his final years in the WWE? At the very end of his WWE stint he tried to recover being "Flair" but just couldn't do it. This was the leader of the Four Horseman. The man the rode Space Mountain. Wining and Dining. He was the MAN. The man the coined the phrase "In order to be the man you have to beat the man. In order to beat the man, you have to BE the man." He feuded with the best of them. Rhodes, Road Warriors, Magnum T.A., Ronnie "Hands of Stone" Garvin, The Freebirds, Ricky Steamboat, Sting, Hogan, etc, etc. Now, he seems no better than Doink the Clown. Shoot, he IS Doink!!

What has been done to Flair is a wrestling travesty. When his main wrestling days were over, he should have taken on a persona like former Horseman manager JJ Dillon.

If there is a way for Flair to repair and reclaim being Ric Flair, what is it? Or is he just too far gone and this joke of a man too engrained in todays image of him?

He's 61 years old, and you can't stay at the top forever. Wrestling is a constant, what's the word? Evolution! That was the point of the stable, to his final bowing out, and his own words on his DVD, handing his torch to Triple H, Randy Orton and Batista to carry.

Why do people presume he has to take himself so damn seriously 24/7? He's having some fun in TNA. TNA isn't WWE. In WWE he was portrayed as Ric Flair, the same Ric Flair who is credited with 16 - 21 World Heavyweight Championship reigns. The same man who helped build WCW, helped gain attention to NWA, was at one point the face of professional wrestling in a lot of peoples eyes and has had many famous matches.

He isn't "too far gone", I swear to God there is somebody making multiple accounts just to trash on Flair, cause this is becoming ******ed.

When you win 16 World Heavyweight Championships, having a bit of fun isn't going to do anything to your legacy, history or anything in-between. Why fix something which isn't broken?

OK, you are misunderstanding the statement. I never said he had to still be on top. I agree with you that you can't be on top forever. But then you mention his "final bowing out". Uh, he hasn't bowed out yet.

I also agree with you that at one point he was the face of professional wrestling alongside of Hulk Hogan. Different personas but they both elevated their companies to unbelievable high levels. Hogans heel change worked for him because he was still the Hulkster. Not stumbling and bumbling or acting like a crazy old geezer. Flair could have flipped the switch into a new role simply by being a manager / mentor. He COULD have done that with Evolution but he was already becoming a side-kick with that group rather than a mentor or leader. They started out right, then lost it. Since then he's been a complete downward spiral. I completely disagree that it hasn't gone too far. It's well beyond too far and honestly, it's embarrassing.

Your last statement I completely agree with but you also contradict your argument that it hasn't gone too far. First, there is nothing wrong with having some fun. Again, as a manager role with a stable of young talent he could have done that. You are also right that you don't fix what's not broken. So WHY when Flair, the real Flair, wasn't broken did they try and fix and make him what he is today? They tried the same thing with Hawk of LOD and had he not had his untimely death, his legacy could have been just as tarnished.

OK, you are misunderstanding the statement. I never said he had to still be on top. I agree with you that you can't be on top forever. But then you mention his "final bowing out". Uh, he hasn't bowed out yet.

I also agree with you that at one point he was the face of professional wrestling alongside of Hulk Hogan. Different personas but they both elevated their companies to unbelievable high levels. Hogans heel change worked for him because he was still the Hulkster. Not stumbling and bumbling or acting like a crazy old geezer. Flair could have flipped the switch into a new role simply by being a manager / mentor. He COULD have done that with Evolution but he was already becoming a side-kick with that group rather than a mentor or leader. They started out right, then lost it. Since then he's been a complete downward spiral. I completely disagree that it hasn't gone too far. It's well beyond too far and honestly, it's embarrassing.

Your last statement I completely agree with but you also contradict your argument that it hasn't gone too far. First, there is nothing wrong with having some fun. Again, as a manager role with a stable of young talent he could have done that. You are also right that you don't fix what's not broken. So WHY when Flair, the real Flair, wasn't broken did they try and fix and make him what he is today? They tried the same thing with Hawk of LOD and had he not had his untimely death, his legacy could have been just as tarnished.

Not his final bowing out from wrestling, buy his DVD and watch it and you'll understand. He saw Evolution as his bowing out from the main event. Evolution officially ended when he faced Triple H on an episode of RAW from Charlotte, North Carolina with the WWE World Heavyweight Championship on the line. Ric saw THAT as his own personal, last moment as a main event wrestler.

He had Mania 24, but he didn't main event.

Ric, after Evolution went down, and then he went back up with the whole, "next match I lose I'll retire" angle, which had Flair on a 12 and 0 winning streak for the better part of three months on live television. He left the WWE, retired from the WWE, as the headlining name at Wrestlemania. Not in the main event, but it was his name alongside Floyd Mayweather which WWE really took a focus on.

He went back to wrestling, because he loves it. Nothing wrong with doing what you love. Give the guy some respect, he's a legend and if he wants to do it, let him be. He doesn't wrestle weekly, he wrestler spariodically and really only for storyline sake. Dude put over Jay Lethal, and helped get AJ Styles over as being another "torch bearer" from Ric's flame.

Okay, it's an argument that at 61 he should stop. But, what's the point? He's entertaining, he's a legendary figure. His robe hangs from the National Muesum of American History. No other wrestler has an accolade like that, and nobody probably ever will.

Hawk's RL was brought to WWE TV. When have TNA acknowledge anything Ric does behind the scenes? He made a mistake in Ireland, and got kicked off the tour for one show. Big whoop, he got drunk and started maybe thinking that he was the shit again. They suspended him never really mentioned anything about, and let him continue doing what he does.

Ric Flair's legacy is in no way, shape of form in the wrestling ring, hurt. 21 time World Heavyweight Champion speaks for itself. Constant accolade-after-accolade, acheivement-after-acheivement speaks for itself. Failed marriages, money problems and whatnot, they don't interfere with his wrestling career. Never have, never will.

I never said anything about outside of the ring and I'll agree with you that outside of the ring has no effect on his wrestling legacy. No argument on that. But in the business, man he hasn't gotten anyone over in eons. Seriously, he went the wrong route big time. His last hoorah of respectability was the "I lose I retire" string of matches which showed flashes of Flair of old. But then he went to TNA and really took a big nose dive. Yes, no argument he does deserve respect for what he did for wrestling. But that is limited to when he was respectable (again, in the business not personal life). Flair hasn't been respectable in wrestling since as I said before, about the time that Evolution got started. It's sad that the entire younger generation of wrestling fans have no idea who the real Ric Flair is. Flair used to be entertaining. THE MAN!! Now, its just painful to see him in this state of use.

I never said anything about outside of the ring and I'll agree with you that outside of the ring has no effect on his wrestling legacy. No argument on that. But in the business, man he hasn't gotten anyone over in eons. Seriously, he went the wrong route big time. His last hoorah of respectability was the "I lose I retire" string of matches which showed flashes of Flair of old. But then he went to TNA and really took a big nose dive. Yes, no argument he does deserve respect for what he did for wrestling. But that is limited to when he was respectable (again, in the business not personal life). Flair hasn't been respectable in wrestling since as I said before, about the time that Evolution got started. It's sad that the entire younger generation of wrestling fans have no idea who the real Ric Flair is. Flair used to be entertaining. THE MAN!! Now, its just painful to see him in this state of use.

No, he didn't put Jay Lethal over at all?! He didn't help get over how respected a person AJ Styles is, by managing him at all?! He didn't get over Beer Money, or Douglas Williams at all! /end sarcasm.

Like I said, he's a legend, he can do what he wants and he is doing a better job than most of the wash-ups in TNA. Still stylin', and still profilin' at 61. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I think him getting into the ring and floundering about, followed by a nice quick blading is going to far. I am enjoying him in TNA, he has done wonders for AJ and Kazarian on the mic. He is still entertaining backstage. However everytime he steps into the ring, he just looks like an idiot. Can he go one segment without losing his shirt and pants and without looking like a used tampon?

I wish Flair saved up a good amount of his money, and didn't waste it on women, sure he wouldn't be wrestling at 61. That's my opinion. But, what he has done to the industry, was amazing.

With that being said, Most of us, frighteningly, will be working at Flair's age. Some of us, won't be working cool awesome jobs. Some of us will be at grocery stores, or retailers. Some of us, will be in our 50's listening to some kid, who manages his whole operation from his iPhone, let alone an office. The fact Flair, still gets to do something he loves, and gets people behind him still, that's impressive.

Some of the young guns at TNA can't even get the reaction he does. Hell, they can't even cut a promo like he does. Do I wish he could retire? Yes, we all do, but, at least he is still entertaining.

We all wanted Farve to retire, but he kept on playing, and he still did alright to the very end. Hell, we were entertained still watching this guy throw footballs down the field.

So, someday, I hope Flair can retire, but he is in state that a lot of people are in right now. At least he can do something he likes doing.

PS... It did tick me off he went against his word. But, money is a necessity for most of us.

I can completely see where the poster is coming from. He was the main event for so long and helped get so many guys over it was ridiculous. The man is a legend. But it's like Jimmy Snuka. He is in almost every classic WWE tribute, sorry ''WWF'', flying off the cage etc, and at WrestleMania 25 he could barely walk. It was embarrassing to watch. Flair should stay out of the ring as he isn't near his best anymore, obviously I mean the man is 61 and has been wrestling 30 plus years. But he can be a great manager and mentor.

I can completely see where the poster is coming from. He was the main event for so long and helped get so many guys over it was ridiculous. The man is a legend. But it's like Jimmy Snuka. He is in almost every classic WWE tribute, sorry ''WWF'', flying off the cage etc, and at WrestleMania 25 he could barely walk. It was embarrassing to watch. Flair should stay out of the ring as he isn't near his best anymore, obviously I mean the man is 61 and has been wrestling 30 plus years. But he can be a great manager and mentor.

[YOUTUBE]dIrdpUfor3I[/YOUTUBE]

Couldn't find the whole match, but the highlights do him justice. Proving you wrong. What Wrestlemania 25 were you watching? Because at the Wrestlemania 25 I watched, and I just saw the highlights of that match from, Ric Flair came out on stage doing his strutt, took a bump, got into the ring and started unleashing chops and punches on Jericho, took a Codebreaker and then at the end ran up the ramp with Mickey Rourke.

Yeah, he could barely walk :lmao:

[YOUTUBE]dIrdpUfor3I[/YOUTUBE]

Couldn't find the whole match, but the highlights do him justice. Proving you wrong. What Wrestlemania 25 were you watching? Because at the Wrestlemania 25 I watched, and I just saw the highlights of that match from, Ric Flair came out on stage doing his strutt, took a bump, got into the ring and started unleashing chops and punches on Jericho, took a Codebreaker and then at the end ran up the ramp with Mickey Rourke.

Yeah, he could barely walk :lmao:

If you read what I said literally fifteen words before the ''barely walk'' statement you would see I was talking about Jimmy Snuka. The reason I was talking about Snuka was to illustrate the same principles, albeit not to the same extent as the poster was referring to. He said Flair could become embarrassed. Look at SNUKA in the match and tell me he isn't embarrassing compared to what he used to be. Same could be applied to Flair, although like I said not to the same extent as atleast Flair can walk :p.

You probably read that one line and thought to have a dig, just a shame you were wrong and now look stupid in the process. Not as stupid as Jimmy Snuka mind ;)

If you read what I said literally fifteen words before the ''barely walk'' statement you would see I was talking about Jimmy Snuka. The reason I was talking about Snuka was to illustrate the same principles, albeit not to the same extent as the poster was referring to. He said Flair could become embarrassed. Look at SNUKA in the match and tell me he isn't embarrassing compared to what he used to be. Same could be applied to Flair, although like I said not to the same extent as atleast Flair can walk :p.

You probably read that one line and thought to have a dig, just a shame you were wrong and now look stupid in the process. Not as stupid as Jimmy Snuka mind ;)

Not entirely, your poor wording of the post didn't help. But I can admitt when I'm wrong, to a certain extent, but if you think Flair then or even now is anything like Snuka was then, I'd STILL have to ask what Wrestlemania 25 you were watching?

Flair can still run, not just walk. He still does weights. Dudes shape is guarenteely better than the average or even above-average 60 or 61 year old.

People really do blow shit waaaaay out of proportion based one peoples age.

Not entirely, your poor wording of the post didn't help. But I can admitt when I'm wrong, to a certain extent, but if you think Flair then or even now is anything like Snuka was then, I'd STILL have to ask what Wrestlemania 25 you were watching?

Flair can still run, not just walk. He still does weights. Dudes shape is guarenteely better than the average or even above-average 60 or 61 year old.

People really do blow shit waaaaay out of proportion based one peoples age.

Well considering I DIDN'T comment on his condition at WrestleMania I don't understand why you bring up the comment of ''what WrestleMania was I watching'' :shrug:. I didn't claim he couldn't do any of those things such as walk or run. I even said twice in my last post, ''Not to the same extent'', meaning it isn't anywhere near as bad as Snukas condition, purely an example about the decline of wrestlers as a whole.

I think Flair is relevant as a manager and a mentor and yes his wrestling skills aren't what they once were but like I said in my first post, the man has been wrestling 30 + years so how could anyone expect him to be as good as he once was. It isn't about his age, it's about how long he has been wrestling for, and over thirty years is gonna take it's toll on anyone.

But maybe it was my ''poor'' wording that got you confused again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back