Why the Horseman should NOT be in the HoF

d_henderson1810

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I think they made an error announcing putting the Four Horseman in the HoF.

Before people get upset with me, and say that I am saying that someone like Arn Anderson or Tully Blanchard aren't worthy of the spot, let me explain.

I have no problems with most of the individuals who comprised the Horsemen being in the HoF. It is more that the "Four Horsemen" is in.

Here's why:-

1) Who are the "Four Horsemen"?:- Many superstars have made up the Horseman in the past. There have been many different versions, with members coming and going constantly. So, which combination of the Horseman is being inducted? It seems to tease that it is the Flair/Barry Windham/Arn Anderson/Tully Blanchard model, but was this version of the Horsemen superior to other versions? What about Lex Luger? What about "Mongo" McMichael? What about Ole Anderson?

The "Four Horsemen" being inducted is pretty vague, and it needs more explanation to which members are considered the ones being inducted.

2) "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair:- Another problem. One of the main constants in the Horseman was "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. He was "unofficial" leader (behind JJ Dillion) and one of its biggest names. But Flair is also already in the HoF in his own right. So, is Flair being inducted into the HoF TWICE?

I know the wrestling industry has jerked off to the old fossil Flair long after his use-by date, but even his contributions to the industry don't warrant being inducted TWICE!!!!

Does this mean that DeGeneration X should one day go into the HoF, even though Shawn Michaels is already in, and Triple H deserves his own induction without needing to induct DX or Evolution?

What about the "New World Order"? This had as much of an impact on WCW, and wrestling in general, as the Horsemen did. Yet Hulk Hogan is already in the Hall. Do the WWE induct him a second time, this time as "Hollywood" Hogan, and give him a second ring, because he gave his last HoF ring away in a storyline in TNA?

3) The Elephant In The Room- Some may respond to my posts by saying that it is "The Four Horsemen" being inducted, no matter what the combination.

But this then brings up another problem for WWE. Because if you induct every member who has been a Horseman, that includes somebody that the WWE swore never to induct. It means inducting someone who the WWE no longer recognise- CHRIS BENOIT!!!!

Look, everyone here knows why WWE don't acknowldge Benoit, and I am not treading down the tracks again, except to say that, by inducting the Horseman, unless you induct individual members, you include Benoit by default, because he was in a version of the Horsemen.

So, if you induct a particular version of the Horsemen, you most likely induct Ric Flair TWICE, but if you induct the "Four Horsemen" stable, and its versions over the years, without naming particular individuals, you automatically have to include Chris Benoit in the Hall.

I think that the best way around this is not to induct the Horsemen, but individual "Horsemen" members in their own right. Arn Anderson, for example, deserves to be in on his own merits, as does Tully Blanchard. Dean Malenko, Lex Luger, Barry Windham and others shouldn't have to share their "moment", and probably deserve their own time in the sun. As stated, Ric Flair has already had his moment (and what a long, drawn-out moment it was), only to make fools of WWE and wrestle again in TNA. Maybe Flair's betrayal warrants him being removed from the HoF in his own right, and then re-inducted as part of the Four Horsemen, since he has made a mockery of the "retirement" storyline surrounding his induction. It also allows for WWE to continue their stand against Benoit, and not "accidentally" put in someone who will upset sponsors and parents.

No doubt, the Four Horsemen was a powerful stable, and made a huge impact on wrestling. But having the "Four Horsemen" in the Hall-Of-Fame is not necessary, unless they can clarify who they mean.

The Four Horsemen were a legendary heel stable and a model for other such future stables to follow. They dominated NWA in the eighties and thereafter and were the biggest draw in that company. When you talk about the feuds that took place during the mid eighties in the NWA, you always talk about the horsemen. You do not say that Flair vs Dusty Rhodes was a great feud, you say that it was the Horsemen vs Rhodes. Sure Flair was the major player but without the likes of Andersons and Blanchard, the feud would not have the same feel.

There is no problem with inducting both Flair and the Horsemen into the HOF. Flair had a great impact on the business in the sense that he was one of the greatest in ring performers and promo cutters that the business has ever seen. The Four Horsemen had a totally different impact on the business. They were the perfect heel stable and set the bar for other such stables to follow. Without the Horsemen, maybe we would have never had quality stables like the nWo or Evolution. As such their impact on the business was totally different from the impact that Flair had on the business and deserves to be honored. I'd personally have no such problem if the same was done for DX and nWo.

As for the Benoit issue, it could be argued that the Flair, Andersons and Blanchard version of the horsemen was the best version of that stable and it is the best version that deserves to be included. When the nWo are included, I am pretty sure that only Nash, Hall and Hogan will be included as that was the time when the nWo was at it's peak. With DX too I have a feeling that the version which involved K-Kwik would not be included in the HOF. In the case of the original Horsemen, it could be argued that it was the original stable that were the trendsetters, which seems to be the biggest reason for their inclusion, and not the succeeding versions.

Also this thread should be in the WWE section because this HoF section is for the WrestleZone Hall of Fame and not the WWE Hall of Fame.

First, I have no problem with Flair in for his singles career and The H-Man. I also think the NWO should go in at some point, regardless of Hogan's previous enshrinement. In both cases the contributions of the individual had great impact on the success of the group, and each group had profound impact on the industry. However, both Hogan & Flair are HOF'ers regardless. Remember in the NFL you can get multiple inductions because they officially only consider one aspect of your career at a time. If Mike Ditka had been a more successful coach he could have gotten in after being inducted as a player. Likewise voters said they werent allowed to consider Dick LeBeau's coaching career and were only to vote on his playing days.

As for The H-Man, obviously some members either werent very good or around enough to warrant induction. Sid Justice, Pillman, Malenko, Benoit, Mongo all had varying levels of success but didnt carry the team to HOF caliber heights. One can make an argument that in addition to the back bone of Flair and Arn that Blanchard & Whyndam deserve credit for the groups heyday but you can make that case for Ole (a founding member) and Luger too. Success wise the group racked up titles as much with Luger as Whyndam, and their original rise to prominence included Ole.

For me Id put Ole and Luger in because the heyday 85-88 featured them prominently. The mid 90s reincarnation was successful but not nearly as dominant and again centered on Flair & Arn.

Likewise if I was inducting the NWO Id stop with Hogan, Hall & Nash. Evryone else was a short termer or mid carder who contributed little. The original 3 were the foundation of the groups hey day 96-99. Other than maybe Steiner, the other members were interchangeable.

2) "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair:- Another problem. One of the main constants in the Horseman was "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. He was "unofficial" leader (behind JJ Dillion) and one of its biggest names. But Flair is also already in the HoF in his own right. So, is Flair being inducted into the HoF TWICE?
I've touched on this before. Ric Flair is worthy of being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame twice. Ric Flair has played a large role in wrestling's long history. His place in wrestling history is significant enough to warrant another induction as part of one of the best factions to date. Look at Michael Jackson. In 1997, the Jackson 5 was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Later, in 2001, Michael himself was inducted as a solo artist. His musical career started off in the Jackson 5. While Michael certainly was better on his own, The Jackson 5 was still a popular group with alot of accomplishments. The comparison between Jackson and Flair could certainly be made here. Flair to the wrestling world is what Jackson was to the musical world. It makes sense.

The Four Horsemen, the New World Order, and D-Generation X, and Evolution absolutely deserve to be inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame. Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels absolutely deserve to be inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame twice. Ric Flair and Triple H absolutely deserve to be inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame three times.

I think the WWE should induct all of the Horsemen as a group, but represented by the 5 Legends they already picked (The Black Scorpion, the Widow Maker, and the Brain Busters, with J. J.). In other words, this is the only way for Chris Benoit will ever be inducted without him ever being mentioned. I think it should just be understood. I hope Flair and the others mention all the other members during their speech as a form of recognition. They were the best thing going in their day. I understand the politics and all that, but as a fan of Professional Sports Wrestling Entertainment, I, myself, will recognize Ole Anderson, Lex Luger, Sting, Sid Vicious, Paul Roma, Brian Pillman, Chris Benoit, Steve Mongo McMichael, Curt Hennig, Jeff Jarrett, and Dean Malenko as Hall Of Famers in April. I know Hennig is already a WWE Hall Of Famer, so I guess in April, I’m counting him as a 2 time WWE Hall Of Famer.

The Symbol of Excellence. The Four (times Four) Horsemen!! The Sixteen Horsemen!!

I tyhink you are right on so many levels with regards to the horsemen. Flair is already in, he was the leader. What incarnation are you going to truly induct? Does that mean Luger isn't being inducted or Ole Anderson? To me the Horsemen include Ole Anderson since he was in the faction during the rise and establishment of the horsemen. Inducting Windham becuase he is in good books with Vince is not the right reason. I can see them inducting Arn Anderson as he had a great career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back