What Gets Me Excited About Smackdown, and How You Feel About It

Machianzo

WOOOAHHH-OH!
I've been thinking lately, more than I should do, about why it is that I anticipate Smackdown much more than I do RAW. I read the spoilers every week, know whats going to happen days in advance, can call the matches before they start. Smackdown is obviously also missing the starpower that RAW has at its disposal. So why is it that Smackdown gets me so much more excited?

I decided eventually, the reason behind it is....I absolutely love the way Smackdown is developing. I'd like to analyze why this is, from the top of the card to to the bottom....

(Warning, large rant ahead, read at your own risk. I will be focusing on positives in this post.)

Daniel Bryan

Now, as an avid IWC mark, I think I'd be expected to be quite knowledgeable about ol' DB. I'm not. I've never bothered watching any of his indy work, and have only seen him perform on WWE television. Until he won MITB, I had assigned him to career midcarder.

Boy, was I wrong. Watching him since he's held the title, the little, subtle heelish things he's been doing week after week, the heat he's starting to get from the audience...brilliant. I didn't think anything much of his mic work until this weeks Smackdown, but I really enjoy the way he's developing.

As for his ring work, another superb asset, both in the technical department and the storytelling. I don't know if he's ready for Mania as champion, but I can quite honestly say I anticipate to find out what he's going to be doing next week....against this man

Mark Henry

The world's greatest career revival. Until his "Hall of Pain" push, I didn't think Mark Henry had it in him. Again, I was wrong, in a big way. He had one of the best title reigns I can remember. He's legit scary as hell, he's improved vastly on the mic, and everything about him screams intimidation. We've seen him generate excellent heat on a weekly basis, even after dissing Micheal Cole on commentary.

He may not work wonders in the ring, but he doesn't need to...and since his hall of pain push, we've seen him do pretty decent stuff for someone with that much damn muscle mass.

Every time Mark Henry is in the ring, he brings something exciting to the table, and adds to Smackdown an excellent main event heel.

Big Show

Up until this week, it was unclear if Big Show or Daniel Bryan was going to turn heel. Its now pointing towards Daniel Bryan, as Big Show is easily getting the crowd on his side. This does beg the question, how do they turn show heel for his mania match with Shaq in such a short time? I don't know, but it'll be fun to watch and find out.

Big Show brings a fun, lovable face to Friday nights, an anti-Mark Henry presence. He reminds me very much of a much larger John Cena at the moment, and that in my opinion, is an excellent thing. He's able to bring fun to Friday nights, or a legit menace when angered by the heels.

Again, nothing magnificent in the ring, but he doesn't need to be. He is "The worlds largest athlete" and plays that character in a excellent way, though his moveset, words and actions inside the squared circle.

Sheamus/Wade Barrett

The two men who are like ying and yang. Big, powerful, fresh faces, who are both moving toward the main even of Smackdown in tandem. These guys are the future, both of them are excellent mic workers, and both of them are pretty good in the ring. These men exude their characters, both of them are highly charismatic, and it is a pleasure to see them both develop on Smackdown.

Barrett, in my opinion, need a little more work than Sheamus. It still feels to me as if he's missing something I can't quite put my finger on. However, I do feel that in 2012, both of these men will have held a world title.

Cody Rhodes

The best IC champion in a long, long time. We've seen Rhodes develop in front of our own eyes since his arrival on Smackdown from the legacy. Dashing, UnDashing, to whatever the hell you want to call the gimmick he's acting out now. His mannerisms have changed, his look has changed, and Cody Rhodes as a whole, has changed. Not only has he changed, he's thrived on that change.

Cody Rhodes seems to be a man who eats, shits and sleeps his character. When he's on TV, not for a minute do you see Cody Rhodes not be thinking about what his character would do or say next. This allows him to cut what I feel are excellent promos, and perform excellent storytelling in the ring. A Cody Rhodes promo is always a treat, as we get to watch him develop and morph more, truly making him an exciting wrestler to have on the roster.

As mentioned earlier, the man knows how to tell a story in the ring, as we've seen against the likes of Randy Orton, Booker T and even Ezekiel Jackson. He's also technically solid, and moves fluidly in the ring. Cody may not have a solid feud right now, but you know when he does, its going to be a good one.

Other misc stuff

The return of Drew McIntyre has me interested. I'm not sure where they're going with it, I can't predict what will happen next week with him, and I love that! I like Drew McIntyre well enough, but even if this does end up in him being legit released (I don't think it will), to me it will still have been a good angle.

The inevitable return of Christian, my favorite wrestler, also keeps me anticipating each and every Smackdown. I know, for me, it'll be a mark out moment when he returns, even if he never wins another world title. I will simply be happy to see the captain back in action.

Hunico/Ted DiBiase, both of them seem to be finding their characters, slowly but surely, and seem to be being allowed room to grow on Friday nights. It may not be the feud of the century, but it does seem to the be the re-growth of a midcard on Smackdown (along with Jinder Mahal and his sudden re-elevation.) I can genuinely say I'm glad to see that, as someone will have to take the IC belt off Rhodes at some point in the future....

Well, thats my rant over folks. So, with my points in hand, how do you feel about Smackdown and its card? Like me, are you pleased, or do you feel something is missing. Obviously Orton not being around hurts the show, but I do not feel that strongly about it. Do you feel that his absence is truly hurting the show? I would like to hear some other people's opinions on everything on Smackdown.

Thank you for you time. :)

There are some good things about SD!. There are always some things I'm not into, which that's to be expected of any wrestling company as you can't like everything.

I'm glad to see that they're going to put Sheamus into a real feud with Wade Barrett. They haven't really had anything for Sheamus for a while. They've mostly been putting in him matched just so he'll be on television. Sheamus & Barrett have had some very good matches in the past and I expect the one this Friday to be no different.

The Daniel Bryan/Big Show/Mark Henry triangle has been interesting and entertaining. Bryan looks to be slowly and steadily transforming into a good heel before our eyes. His matches with Show & Henry have been entertaining with both good, physical action and great storytelling. In his matches against Show, Bryan hasn't just been swatted around like a fly. He's given as good as he's gotten, providing competitive matches. The promo work has been good, Bryan is steadily improving, Henry continues to be gold on the mic in my view and Show has actually gotten pretty solid during promos, especially when he's in a serious mind set. Since last summer, Mark Henry has been doing the best work of his career and some of the best work in wrestling period. Since his return back, overall, Show has done his best work and become more interesting than he's been in many years.

Cody Rhodes, in my view, has improved his overall game by leaps and bounds over the past couple of years. He's no longer the one dimensional, uncharismatic lackey of Randy Orton and has bloomed into a confident, charismatic heel that's developed well on the mic, can very much go inside the ring and has been the overall best Intercontinental Champion the WWE has had in many years in my opinion.

There are also some guys on SD! that show a lot of promise. Hunico can deliver inside the ring and has some potential. He needs work in his mic skills and if he can bring them up to par, he could be a big star in WWE. Epico & Primo are a welcome addition to the tag team scene. I've actually heard Primo on the mic a few times and he's not bad. Needs work, but he's actually pretty good, especially when he's being cocky. I think that WWE is slowly moving towards getting back on track with Drew McIntyre. His current losing streak storyline is the most relevant he's been since he was drafted to Raw. He's another guy that's improved a lot in terms of his in-ring work, facial expressions & body language and just generally showing emotions. I don't really know if his mic work has improved as he hasn't really had all that much exposure on the mic in a while.

There are other guys like Tyson Kidd, Curt Hawkins and others that I think are kind of being wasted in some ways. But, then again, one cold hard fact of life is that not everybody's going to be a huge star. Some are going to be elevated at the expense of others. That's just how the mop flops.

Barrett, in my opinion, need a little more work than Sheamus. It still feels to me as if he's missing something I can't quite put my finger on. However, I do feel that in 2012, both of these men will have held a world title.

You do realize that sheamus has won wwe title twice so far right?

This past Smackdown was a pretty good show, actually. Up until then, I was starting to feel myself getting irritated with the lack of direction Sheamus had been exhibiting. I hope to hell that this Barrett/Sheamus feud starts up; that's one matchup that has serious potential to take off. With the Rumble among us followed by the Chamber, I'd be curious if to see if it continues though.

Mark Henry has most definitely been one of the most surprising career revivals I've seen. He's been completely convincing and played his part a lot better then most big men do. I was damn ashamed when he lost it, but at least he isn't losing all his momentum; really a high point on Fridays.

Cody Rhodes, I really wish I could hate this guy like he wants me to, but I can't... he plays his part amazingly, way too good for me to dislike him. He's been carrying the Intercontinental belt better than I've seen in a long while, even putting on a helluva feud with the Booker Man. I almost care about that title again!

I have been enjoying Smackdown lately as well! To answer your question, I see where Smackdown is a little off its game with Orton's injury, but at the moment they're not showing it as a catastrophic issue, which is great.

Finally, I really think we're going to see something good from McIntyre in the coming weeks. It didn't take long after his debut for me to be sold on this guy. At the risk of people wondering about my U.K. fetish, I think he could've been up with Barrett and Sheamus at this point; he's a pretty solid performer.

I've enjoyed the progression of Daniel Bryan over the past 7 months, for a guy who we thought might have been the first guy to fail cashing in, and since for a brief period went through a rough patch not winning a lot of his matches, he has quickly became the main factor of Smackdown in the past 2 months. I never saw his work in the indys when he used his real name or the moniker American Dragon, only saw a few matches here and there from him (him and Punk put on a great match in ROH). Enjoying his heel run at the moment, it's been slow, first off being the guy who had Big Show at times come to his rescue to cashing in, going back on his word of waiting until WM, then acting cocky and retaining his Title by goading Henry into pushing him last week and causing a DQ, last night holding onto the Title but sacrifcing AJ in the process.

Another is Wade Barrett, his feud with Orton I liked, and I hate to say it but Orton getting injured was the best thing that could've happened to Barrett. Can either see him winning MiTB or going through a Tournament to face the Champion (Or he could win the Rumble), fantastic on the mic, can cut a mean promo. Plus he's British like me so more points aha.

Sheamus. I thought he made a badass heel bully-esque character, but he's made for a fun face but maintained a badass side as well, I particularly enjoy when he talks on the mic about his family.

Lengthy matches. I know last night Funkasaurus/Kidd and Tamina/Nattie's matches were short but you generally get a good amount of time for matches which is different from Raw (Depends who's wrestling though)

Teddy Long. I was shocked when I found out he was the new GM all the way back to '04 since I knew him as a heel manager and didn't know what to expect from him, but I've always liked him as GM, he's been consistent and popular with the fans.

Younger guys. I think SD is a perfect place for the younger crop to flourish (Barrett, Ziggler, Punk, McIntyre (The latter 3 when they were in the midst of being pushed between 09-Start of 2011) and then later be moved to Raw and be viewed as wrestlers worthy to be in the spotlight. With Cena as the face and being on Raw at times people can be over-shadowed. Currently on SD the top 3 (Although one is inactive) is Orton, Daniel and Show, whilst Sheamus/Barrett continue to look strong and pushed towards main event status, but at the same time seeing fresh guys in Show/Henry/Bryan feuding.

Smackdown is fine, provided they stop buryiong Daniel Bryan. He needs to end this feud with the big guys and be on a level playing field size wise to really show how good he is. A feud with Wade Barrett or Christian would be awesome, or have him fed a couple of face guys like Sheamus or Kofi Kingston. Bryan needs to be pushed as champion, not buried. Make him a full heel and watch ratings spike. The man is pure brilliance and hopefully after Mania he and Punk can have some form of feud on equal footing.

For me personally, Smackdown is definately the show to watch. Obviously Raw has the more starpower etc. But Smackdown is a show that really is hard to explain...it just has it. Nothing fancy, Nothing flashy just very good.

It honestly reminds me of like an old wrestling show from the mid-late 80's. Every match made with some importance. Smackdown doesn't really have that right now but I like the characters and storylines occuring.

Am I the only one who thinks they are turning DB into the Edge like heel and not the chickenshit type heel? I approve of this since it makes DB look strong when he mans up and takes the challenge from the 500 pound Show and Mark Henry.

Whilst I do like the advancements, I'm still a much bigger fan of RAW.

I used to favour Smackdown because of the storylines and the matches, but for me at the moment, I'm not happy with the fueds that are current on the blue brand.

Big Show vs Daniel Bryan is actually doing nothing for me. I'm really disatisfied with the booking of Bryan. I feel like they are booking him to look weak. People can raise the heel push arguments they like, but he needs to appear strong. Against Cody, they had him dominated and then pull out the win at the end. Make Bryan look like the wrestler who has a thousand holds, and deadly at submission as he should. His persona is fine, but in ring make him look like a champion.

Big Show... where are they going with this. He could have been champion, I'd have been happy with that. But now that Bryan is champion I have serious issues with Show as the contender. If RR is a triple threat, then I see a predictable finish. Henry/Show knocks the other out and Bryan steals the pinfall - WEAK.

Jinder/ Ted Dibiase - I find the booking strange because just as one begins to look strong, the next month they look weak. It's too topsy turvey for the audience to get behind either.

Cody: in desperate need of an actual fued. The Booker fued was ok, but he isn't a full time wrestler therefore it lacked.

Cody should be involved in a 3 way heel fued with Sheamus and Barrett over who is the future of Smackdown and who is going to win the WHC after the Rumble.

I fully agree with most of what you said, Machianzo. I, too, recently came to the realization that Smackdown has been the far superior program of the two shows for quite a few weeks and for pretty much all the reasons you just listed. Something is gelling there. Daniel's heel turn is coming along nicely, Big show is doing a great job, Mark Henry performed nothing short of a miracle with his character revival, Sheamus and Barrett are both getting ready to be the new top guys of the show (I even fully agree about Barrett missing one little "something, but not sure what"), Cody being by far the best IC champion in many, many years (can't think of anyone in the last 10 years who comes close - the title was irrelevant for so long), and even little things like the Drew Mcyintire storyline got me interested. Add to that the impending return of Christian (my guess is the Rumble) and you got yourself a damn fine wrestling show.

And the truth is I'm glad Randy Orton is taking a break. While I like and respect the man, I honestly got bored with him. He's been cruising ever since he got to Smackdown. He hasn't been hungry in a long time. The time away will actually do him a favor.

It's not perfect, of course. there are still the Hornswoggles or the Teddy Longs lusting over Roxanna and boring diva matches and shit like that, but whatever. I can honestly say I really enjoy the current Smackdown program. I can't really say I feel the same way about Raw. Right now I'm watching Raw more out of habit than anticipation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back