• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What DVD should I buy?

It's really not necessary to argue about all the PPV's haha. But one thing that got passed over was which Orton/Taker match of their feud in 2005 was the best? I'd like to maybe get that PPV just for their match.

lol, its always will happen

None of their matches are bad. Best is their Wrestlemania match.

Man, that was a great feud. I'm going to have to Youtube those matches now.

I'm just gonna kill me some time now. Amusing myself and whatnot.

Michaels-Taker didn't give credit buildup, and were both very short feuds.
I don't get what you mean in the first part of sentence. What, did the feud not have the kind of build-up that Ric Flair would avoid paying back? What does that have to do with anything? What does it mean?

Sounded good though.

Does it matter if they were short feuds? Holy Michaels on SmackDown in 2009 and the promos in the graveyard and with the casket on Raw were more memorable than anything during the Edge feud. And on the basis of quality, just about everyone would pick the Michaels-Taker matches. On the whole, they were more engaging than anything Edge and Taker did together.

Quality over quantity. I don't see why you're underselling it.

Jericho-Rey was short, and was an under-card
I addressed length above.

Now I'd like to know why the feud taking place in the undercard takes away from it.

Christian-Swagger had okay PPV matches, but I didn't watch ECW, so I missed any and all buildup.
Then you missed their second match against one another, one of the best matches of last year as well as some fine promo work that helped Swagger come into his own every week.

Hardy-Punk was very good while it lasted, but Jeff's departure screwed the ending up. Very anti-climatic.
Hardy proved Punk right when he cost himself the win at SummerSlam and then Punk put Hardy out of the WWE. That's... just about the opposite of anti-climatic. That's damn near the best climax a feud's had in years.

Your taste is seriously suspect, my man.

I don't care if you like Edge in the ring, but he has FANTASTIC promos. The buildup during that feud was amazing.
The matches didn't live up to the hype, not enough was done to keep Edge and Taker away from one another before Mania (which would have made Taker getting his hands on Edge a bigger deal), the feud was stale by the time Backlash came around, and the build for HIAC match had nothing to do with Undertaker.

Mediocre build for what should have felt like a much bigger deal. The matches didn't make up for it. Edge just didn't know how to keep people interested during the time he was given in the ring.

I didn't really enjoy the traditional 5 on 5s, and I had almost no expectations going into the Cena-HBK-HHH triple threat. Worst buildup in a loooooong time for a WWE Championship match at a Big 4 PPV.

Just didn't enjoy it that much.
I agree about the build, but as far as good PPVs last year, this is one of the better ones. HBK had a couple great moments, the young guns looked great all over this show with Kofi having a career making moment (and a nice showdown with Punk as well), and no match besides the Divas bout felt like filler. Solid as they come.

But yes, the missed the boat on the hype. Especially for one of the biggest main events in a long time.

Ehhhh. You had a chairs match? Didn't buy that. The TLC was okay, but nothing we didn't see before. Surprisingly, the best match IMO was the ECW ladder match.
TLC was good. Why does it always have to be something we haven't seen before?

In addition, the table match was good. IC match was good. Orton-Kofi was good. Ladder match was good. Five good matches puts you in the plus column as far as quality wrestling is concerned. Even if you didn't go for the chair match.

Personally just didn't enjoy them. He also had a framework, and Undertaker and Orton didn't really have anything major happen in either of these PPVs.
Well, I was ignoring him because we're having a discussion.

If we're including him, Taker had a title match on both shows and Orton was involved in a feud with Kofi that was considered one of the high points of the product during those months.

Guess we're just entertained by different things.
No doubt.

I thought the US title fatal 4 (or 6?) way was very good.

Tag-team match debuted JeriShow.
The tag match was a heel vs. heel dud that just about killed any momentum the show could have hoped to have. It might be the worst opener of last year.

Forget the debut. Just about every JeriShow PPV bout after this was superior.

It was decent, yeah. Just didn't think it was great. Not worth buying the DVD to me.
Well, you liked the ladder match from Extreme Rules. So...

On which shows?
Punk-Umaga was better at JD was hometown heat for Punk and no absurd strap match rules.

Jericho-Rey stole the show at The Bash and a universally praised MOTYC.

Christian and Swagger did better without Dreamer on ECW.

Cena and Big Show had better matches before Mania on both Raw and SmackDown.

It was just a mish-mash of combinations that I've seen done better.

Once again, guess we just like different things. I felt it was exciting the whole way through. Unique finish.
I found it heatless outside of a few high spots. People just didn't care for the first half as they were waiting for these two guys to do something that lived up to their reputation in ladder matches. I've seen far better. At least at Judgement Day they had a standard match where they could exceed expectations and send people home happy. Extreme Rules just didn't come off as well for me.

It may be better if you like Benoit, but he mentioned Orton, Undertaker, Stone Cold, the Rock, etc.. you get Benoit-Angle plus all of them for like $10.
Yeah, Undertaker vs. Big Show is always a classic. Plus Austin-Bischoff? He should be sold.

Pretty much, right? Maybe I should go to more PPVs so they turn out better..
Hmm.

Off topic.....

WWE are now doing best PPV matches DVDs, featuring the best PPV matches of the year (WWE year, so from April to March). For the first one there's actually a fair few matches that i'd like to watch again, however if you get the Blu-Ray version you get extra matches i.e. Taker v Rey at the Rumble this year.

I recently bought the Instant Classic DVD for like £3. Well put together, just wish they'd showcased more matches with TNA guys than ex-WWE guys. So if you're a Christian fan and want to see more about Will Reso the man instead of Christian Cage the wrestler, then check it out.

I WANT THE CHRISTIAN CAGE DOLL WITH THE KEVIN NASH VOICE!!!!!

So for now I'll probably buy one more. So which would be the better buy WM 21 or Backlash 2004? I'm guessing WM 21?

I got my SummerSlam DVD and watched it today. I thought overall it was a really good PPV and the World Heavyweight Title match was on of the best I'ved seen of Orton's, so I'm very happy with my purchase. The Toronto crowd is so weird in who they cheer for and stuff but thats normal for them haha. One thing I thought was weird is they didn't have the video packages to build up the matches with the exception of the HHH vs. Eugene match, so that was different, especially since its been 6 years since the event and I was trying to remember the events that led up the the PPV. I think I'll pick up WM 21 next week.

So since the start of the thread I've picked up SummerSlam 2004 and WrestleMania 21. Both have been very good (although the Cena/JBL match at WM 21 sucked, but I didn't expect too much, the Angle/HBK match made up for it), but I want to get a Raw or Smackdown exclusive brand PPV from that time period so here are some ones I've been thinking about. Now I know you guys said that Armageddon 2005 wasn't good but I kinda want to see it haha so put this PPV's in order of best to worst. And it doesn't have to be strictly pure wrestling for this, but good overall matches and storylines going in.

Armageddon 2005 (Orton vs. Taker in the Cell)
Armageddon 2006 (Last Ride Match, Inferno Match, 4 Team Ladder Match)
Unforgiven 2006 (TLC Match, Trish's Last Match, Good Reviews for Orton vs. Carlito)
Backlash 2004 (Orton vs. Foley, Triple Threat Match for Title)
No Mercy 2005 (Randy and Cowboy Bob Orton vs. Taker in a Casket Match, Eddie's last PPV match)
New Year's Revolution 2007 (Rated RKO vs. DX, Steel Cage Match for IC Title)

Forget No Mercy. You're better of getting Eddie's latest DVD.

I still think Armageddon '05 is a bad idea.

Aside from the four team ladder match, Armageddon '06 is a worse idea.

Backlash is good for the two main events.

Skip NYR. Nitro and Hardy have had better matches (See Hardy's DVD... Or Morrison's), and you get a better Cena-Umaga match at the Rumble (One of my favorite of the decade).

Unforgiven's TLC match and the four team ladder match can be found on the ladder match DVD that's superior to both shows.

Umm. Yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back