• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What DVD should I buy?

greg_74

Occasional Pre-Show
So I've been thinking about going on ebay or WWE Shop and getting a couple DVD's from a few years ago. I have pretty much every VHS from 1998-2001 and then DVD's from the end of 2001-into 2002. After the brand split I was only able to watch Raw so I didn't see the Smackdown side of things and really I didn't watch Raw on a regular basis like I did till 2002. I mean I still watched but I didn't follow as closely, buy any DVD's or go to any events from 2002 until 2007. So I'm looking at the 2002-2006 period.

So what DVD's do you suggest I buy that were some of the best from that time? My favorite wrestlers are Stone Cold, The Rock, Randy Orton, Undertaker, and Edge but I'm open to PPV's that are main evented by others. Here's a list of a couple that I thought about picking up with the matches I'd like to see:

1. Bad Blood 2004: Interested in seeing the Hell in a Cell between HHH and HBK

2. Vengance 2004: Orton vs. Edge for the IC title

3. Armageddon 2005 : Orton vs. Taker in a cell

So what are your guys thoughts on those and are there any others that you think would be good to get? Thanks guys.

None of them.

I didnt even look at the choices, but you need to get "History of the WWE title" DVD set. The best DVD set by far the WWE has ever put together.

None of them.

I didnt even look at the choices, but you need to get "History of the WWE title" DVD set. The best DVD set by far the WWE has ever put together.

Thats something I'll look into but I'm looking for more of a couple PPV's from that time period to watch as a whole. Now that I think about it I think a friend of mine has that DVD set.

Any PPV's from that period that you liked?

There are PPVs that I liked. I'll think about it and get back to you.

Don't get any of the three you listed. I can tell you that much.

Armageddon 2005 is fucking awfull, I remember that.

SummerSlam 2005 is pretty gangsta if I remember right. Tis the one with HBK-Hogan, and Kurt Angle DESTROYING Eugene

There are PPVs that I liked. I'll think about it and get back to you.

Don't get any of the three you listed. I can tell you that much.

Yeah those were based off like there was one match on there that I wanted to see. Mainly either with Orton or Taker.

Armageddon 2005 is fucking awfull, I remember that.

SummerSlam 2005 is pretty gangsta if I remember right. Tis the one with HBK-Hogan, and Kurt Angle DESTROYING Eugene

Summer Slam 2005 was on of the ones that I was thinking about too, I might pick that one up. But I did read a review on here that Armageddon 2005 sucked pretty much except the Orton vs. Taker cell match was really good, so I thought if I could get it for like $5-10 it'd be worth it for that match only.

SummerSlam 2002

Unforgiven 2002

No Mercy 2002

WrestleMania 19

Vengeance 2003

Backlash 2004

Royal Rumble 2005

WrestleMania 21

Judgement Day 2005

Vengeance 2005

SummerSlam 2005

WrestleMania 22

Backlasg 2006

Judgement Day 2006

One Night Stand 2006

December to Dismember 2006

WrestleMania 23

Backlash 2007

WrestleMania 24

Armageddon 2008

No Way Out 2009

Backlash 2009

SummerSlam 2009

Bragging Rights 2009

Survivor Series 2009

TLC 2009

My memory is damn foggy, but those may well have been decent shows overall. Not saying every match is a classic, but I recall there being some fun on those shows. There are a few other classics from this period (Eddie-Lesnar at No Way Out, Eddie-JBL at Judgement Day, Benoit's title win at WrestleMania, HBK-Taker from WM25 and so-on)that you can find on some great wrestler specific DVDs. In addition, History of the WHC gets my sterling recommendation if good matches from this period are what you're looking for. Orton-Rey and Angle-Taker alone are worth the price of the DVD. Cena-Jericho might be one of the best of Jericho's WWE run.

Look through those and decide what looks good. Or ignore this post, as I'm imposing my poor taste on you.

No that match is horrendous, probably the worst cell match ever, and there is nothing else remotely redeeming on the show. Dont do it.

SummerSlam 2005 for sure. 06 was pretty badass too.

Fuck, im trying hard to remember what stood out those years, I watched every PPV both years....

SummerSlam from 02, 03, 04, are all good too. and both of the ONS.

SummerSlam 02 and 03 are two of the best PPVs ever in the estimation of many

The only good thing at Armageddon 2005 was the Cell match, the rest was awful. You'd be better off just getting the Hell in a Cell DVD from a few years ago. It has all of the good ones except for Edge vs Taker, and was made before the crappy PPV from last year.

If you want a PPV from 2009, the only 2 worth your time are Extreme Rules and Summerslam.

You asked 02-06 though:

Royal Rumble 2003: Angle vs Benoit is a must see if you haven't already. One of the better Rumble matches. Solid overall minus the mess that was HHH vs Steiner.

Unforgiven 2003: HBK vs Orton. Fits the bill for a fellow Orton fan. Great match, and I believe it was the 1st match in the Legend vs Legend Killer series.

Backlash 2004: Orton vs Foley Hardcore Match for IC title. Also Triple Threat between HHH, HBK, and Benoit. Edge returned, but his match wasn't great. The two mentioned though were classics, and would be worth the watch.

No that match is horrendous, probably the worst cell match ever, and there is nothing else remotely redeeming on the show. Dont do it.

Ok I won't. It would probably be even worse since my expectations would be so high for those guys in a cell.

Since you're a big Summer Slam fan, what are your thoughts on 2004? I've been a big Orton fan since the beginning but I've never actually seen that PPV. Is is one worth getting?

Backlash 2004: Orton vs Foley Hardcore Match for IC title. Also Triple Threat between HHH, HBK, and Benoit. Edge returned, but his match wasn't great. The two mentioned though were classics, and would be worth the watch.

Backlash 2004 looks like one I might have to pick up.

On a kinda side note for the Orton fans, which match with the Undertaker would you have said was the best? I don't care if Orton or Taker wins, just the best match overall for both guys.

I know this is looking like I only want to see Orton haha but I'm open to other PPV's like I said.

I just noticed something... Why is this in the spam zone? I posted it over in the Old School Wrestling zone... I'm guessing its because of my post count but I don't have any posts because I usually just go on here and look what other people have to say. I've got like 6000 posts on one Camaro website and another 700 on ls1tech so I'm definately not a spammer. If some mod could move it back to where it was that would be great. Thanks!

The only good thing at Armageddon 2005 was the Cell match, the rest was awful. You'd be better off just getting the Hell in a Cell DVD from a few years ago. It has all of the good ones except for Edge vs Taker, and was made before the crappy PPV from last year.
Edge-Taker was awful. Spot, move stuff around, spot, move stuff around, snore.

If you want a PPV from 2009, the only 2 worth your time are Extreme Rules and Summerslam.
Lies.

And if he's an Orton fan, my 2009 list offers several Orton matches. Even a few where he's not being squashed by Batista before a mediocre ladder match.

Extreme Rules is passable, IMO. Only need-to-see match is Jericho-Rey, and they've done better.

You asked 02-06 though:

Royal Rumble 2003: Angle vs Benoit is a must see if you haven't already. One of the better Rumble matches. Solid overall minus the mess that was HHH vs Steiner.
Fuck this show. Get Benoit's DVD.

Unforgiven 2003: HBK vs Orton. Fits the bill for a fellow Orton fan. Great match, and I believe it was the 1st match in the Legend vs Legend Killer series.
Show was mediocre, even by 2003 standards. Also, HBK and Orton have a better match down the line. Shawn Michaels' latest DVD is a must-see for that. Better than the PPV it was on.

Two match show, but for two matches that good (which you won't find elsewhere), why not?

The Orton-Benoit match was pretty epic in my estimation, but its sorta old school stampede booking style, i dunno if you like that sorta thing.

Coco, which is the one with the Benoit - RVD fucking barn burner of an IC title match, wasnt that SummerSlam 03? fcukin BITCHIN man.

SS 04 is solid overall, with a classic between Orton and Benoit (in my estimation) 02, and 03 are far better overall shows though

Benoit-RVD was 2002. One of maybe two matches where RVD's hair came down in the WWE. So you knew it was good.

I've got SummerSlam 2002 so I'll watch that one again. The most memorable match for me from that one was the HHH vs. HBK match and it was really The Rock's last full time match, I'll check out the IC match though.

I think I'm going to go with SummerSlam 2004 and Backlash 2004. I don't really want to buy any 2009 PPV's cause their fresh in my memory. I've got Judgment Day from last year cause I went to it in Chicago but other than that I have No Mercy 2007 cause I also went to that one in person and then Survivor Series 2007, which I thought was a really good PPV. And then some friends of mine and I have ordered WM 23, 25, and 26 along with the Royal Rumble in 2009 and 2010 and the Elimination Chamber this year.

Edge-Taker was awful. Spot, move stuff around, spot, move stuff around, snore.

I disagree, I didn't think it was the best HiaC, but it was definitely good. It was a great end to their well run feud. Other than HBK-Jericho of '08, it was the last feud that gave both great promos and matches.

I missed No Way Out on your list, that was a good PPV, but the rest? No. Don't see eye-to-eye on that. Survivor Series and TLC? Noooooo.

You're right though, add No Way Out and Night of Champions.. that's it.

Extreme Rules is passable, IMO. Only need-to-see match is Jericho-Rey, and they've done better.

It was a good overall PPV. The ladder match was good, and you had the MITB cashed in. Cena-Big Show was lame, but it had good under card matches on it too.

Fuck this show. Get Benoit's DVD.
I think they only sell the RR 03 dvd packaged with the No Way Out 03 dvd, which gives you Austin, Lesnar, and the Rock, whom he said were others of his favorites. Better deal.

Show was mediocre, even by 2003 standards. Also, HBK and Orton have a better match down the line. Shawn Michaels' latest DVD is a must-see for that. Better than the PPV it was on.

It had plenty of enjoyable matches, including a LMS, and a decent Triple Thre... who am I kidding, Goldberg wins the title, 45 minutes away from my house. One of my personal favorites.

Two match show, but for two matches that good (which you won't find elsewhere), why not?

Definitely worth the watch.

You can watch almost any of the Summerslams though. I can't think of a really bad one in recent years. Probably the most consistent PPV.

I disagree, I didn't think it was the best HiaC, but it was definitely good. It was a great end to their well run feud. Other than HBK-Jericho of '08, it was the last feud that gave both great promos and matches.
Someone missed Michaels-Taker, Punk-Hardy, Jericho-Rey, Christian-Swagger, and so on.

You're giving Edge and Taker too much credit while underselling a lot of great feuds and talent.

Also, Edge and Taker had great matches? Really? Their biggest matches lacked heat. You could fall asleep watching those bouts. Why are people so in love with Edge?

I missed No Way Out on your list, that was a good PPV, but the rest? No. Don't see eye-to-eye on that. Survivor Series and TLC? Noooooo.
Survivor Series had two very fun classic SS matches, two fun triple thread matches... I don't know if you could ask for a more solid show.

TLC gave us some good, fun gimmick matches, some surprising results, and a good IC title match.

What is so offfense about these shows?

You're right though, add No Way Out and Night of Champions.. that's it.
Night of Champions? Now there's an offensive show. Other than Punk's match and promo, did anything click that night? Even Rey Mysterio's match fell flat.

Also, no love for Backlash? Come on, now. Great undercard, great main event, solid sub-main events.

It was a good overall PPV. The ladder match was good, and you had the MITB cashed in. Cena-Big Show was lame, but it had good under card matches on it too.
All of the undercard matches had been done better on other shows.

Cena-Show was lame. I agree. Cena was above this feud. It was a waste of his time and both of their health.

The ladder match was boring. It lacked heat and excitement. It's a classic Edge main event in that sense.

I think they only sell the RR 03 dvd packaged with the No Way Out 03 dvd, which gives you Austin, Lesnar, and the Rock, whom he said were others of his favorites. Better deal.
Better deal than Benoit's matches with Al Snow, Liger, Scorpio, Eddie, Bret, Angle, Regal, Booker, and the WM20 main event? I can't abide that. Benoit's DVD has one hell of a match list.

It had plenty of enjoyable matches, including a LMS, and a decent Triple Thre... who am I kidding, Goldberg wins the title, 45 minutes away from my house. One of my personal favorites.
Should have happened at SummerSlam, but everyone loves shows they saw live. Sorta. I guess. I normally have good luck when I go to shows live, so yeah.

What DVD did I just buy?

TNA's latest three-pack. Turning Point and two other recent shows for $14? You can't go wrong.

I picked up SummerSlam 2004 new on ebay for $10 shipped. In a week or so after I've watched that one I think I'll pick up Backlash 2004.

Someone missed Michaels-Taker, Punk-Hardy, Jericho-Rey, Christian-Swagger, and so on.

You're giving Edge and Taker too much credit while underselling a lot of great feuds and talent.

Michaels-Taker didn't give credit buildup, and were both very short feuds.

Jericho-Rey was short, and was an under-card.

Christian-Swagger had okay PPV matches, but I didn't watch ECW, so I missed any and all buildup.

Hardy-Punk was very good while it lasted, but Jeff's departure screwed the ending up. Very anti-climatic.
Also, Edge and Taker had great matches? Really? Their biggest matches lacked heat. You could fall asleep watching those bouts. Why are people so in love with Edge?

Couldn't disagree more. We've been over the HiaC, but the Wrestlemania match was great, the TLC match was exciting, Backlash wasn't bad... I guess its just preference, but it always kept my attention, and the wheels were always churning.

I don't care if you like Edge in the ring, but he has FANTASTIC promos. The buildup during that feud was amazing.

Survivor Series had two very fun classic SS matches, two fun triple thread matches... I don't know if you could ask for a more solid show.

I didn't really enjoy the traditional 5 on 5s, and I had almost no expectations going into the Cena-HBK-HHH triple threat. Worst buildup in a loooooong time for a WWE Championship match at a Big 4 PPV.

Just didn't enjoy it that much.

TLC gave us some good, fun gimmick matches, some surprising results, and a good IC title match.

Ehhhh. You had a chairs match? Didn't buy that. The TLC was okay, but nothing we didn't see before. Surprisingly, the best match IMO was the ECW ladder match.

What is so offfense about these shows?

Personally just didn't enjoy them. He also had a framework, and Undertaker and Orton didn't really have anything major happen in either of these PPVs.
Night of Champions? Now there's an offensive show. Other than Punk's match and promo, did anything click that night? Even Rey Mysterio's match fell flat.

Guess we're just entertained by different things. I thought the US title fatal 4 (or 6?) way was very good. The Triple Threat wasn't great, but definitely not bad. Tag-team match debuted JeriShow. I seen this live too. The crowd was into this more than any other event I've been to in the past 2-3 years.

Also, no love for Backlash? Come on, now. Great undercard, great main event, solid sub-main events.

It was decent, yeah. Just didn't think it was great. Not worth buying the DVD to me.

All of the undercard matches had been done better on other shows.

On which shows?

Cena-Show was lame. I agree. Cena was above this feud. It was a waste of his time and both of their health.

Definitely. That combined with the stupid finish with the ropes. Horrible feud.

The ladder match was boring. It lacked heat and excitement. It's a classic Edge main event in that sense.

Once again, guess we just like different things. I felt it was exciting the whole way through. Unique finish.

Better deal than Benoit's matches with Al Snow, Liger, Scorpio, Eddie, Bret, Angle, Regal, Booker, and the WM20 main event? I can't abide that. Benoit's DVD has one hell of a match list.
It may be better if you like Benoit, but he mentioned Orton, Undertaker, Stone Cold, the Rock, etc.. you get Benoit-Angle plus all of them for like $10.

Should have happened at SummerSlam, but everyone loves shows they saw live. Sorta. I guess. I normally have good luck when I go to shows live, so yeah.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much, right? Maybe I should go to more PPVs so they turn out better..

It's really not necessary to argue about all the PPV's haha. But one thing that got passed over was which Orton/Taker match of their feud in 2005 was the best? I'd like to maybe get that PPV just for their match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back