Week 7: Lee -versus- Phoenix

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
What if Ted Turner bought TNA: Would they be able to compete with WWE in two years?

Phoenix is the home debater, he gets to choose which side of the debate he is on first, but he has 24 hours.

Remember to read the rules. This thread is only for the debaters.

This round ends Friday 1:00 pm Pacific

I will be debating that if Ted Turner bought TNA, they WILL compete with the WWE in two years.

I'll be taking the first shot.

Looking forward to this one given I have alot of respect for Lee. Shall be gut.

When it comes to the question of TNA. We view it as the Second Biggest Wrestling Company outside of World Wrestling Entertainment, while this is true, this company is more or less a territory based company which does the odd PPVs and moments outside of Florida, because simply put, it remains stable that way. Now the main intention this company has been mentioned on numerous occasions, they want to compete against WWE, essentially starting a second wave of the Monday Night Wars.

Now it may be some time before TNA can be taken seriously as a contender, current it is suffering from internal politics, management issues and lack of publicity. But when talking about the theory of whether Ted Turner buying the company could push it to be the main competion, I believe it is truly possible.

TNA at the moment

Currently the company is at a phase of being able to beat ECW in terms of ratings of a weekly basis, it's proving to be slowly emerging as better than WWE's 3rd Show. While there are current internal affairs from Kurt Angle's arrest to Jeff Jarrett starting to be ousted by Dixie Carter, TNA is undoubtly getting stronger, despite having Vince Russo on board, but it is. They will no doubtly sign Ken Anderson and Eddie Fatu which will add some more depth to the young stars and they're pushing current original members to succeed after the MEM fades out over time with Sting's retirement looming, Kurt Angle possibly going, to name a few. They've signed solid individuals like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Stevie Richards, Matt Morgan and it's gathering interest as time goes on.

What does this have to do with Ted Turner?

A good question, this is where TNA is at the moment. As stated before what it lacks is strong leadership, stars over-running the company and it lacks publicly. Now when Ted Turner purchased Jim Crockett Promotions (after failing to purchase the WWF) and turned into World Championship Wrestling, he poured his money into the company to turn it into a big massive nationally recognised his love of wrestling as a form of entertainment and wanted to give something for the viewings to watch regular. And this worked, he gave the biggest company in wrestling history a competitor, he managed to get viewers away from watching Wrestlemania IV and he was excellent in providing the challenges to counter Vince McMahon to the point where they were being beating the WWF constantly as the regular entertainment of wrestling to watch. It was about what you saw in the ring, not gimmicks or sports entertainment.

But WCW folded!

So many things led to their demise, Ted Turner's involvement was not that. It was the people below him that affected the company. Politics, stories, the Attitude Era being at its strongest point, butts in seats, David Arquette, nWo being over-used, Bischoff getting kicked out by TimeWarner (not Turner's decision). Ted Turner knew what he was doing with the company, but unfortunately its demise was beyond his control, one man cannot be blamed for WCW's demise, and certainly Ted Turner wasn't one to hung by the noose. If he was, then why did WWE force him to sign a form to say he would stay away from wrestling for a certain amount of years? Because they knew he was their biggest threat.

Right. So we got that about WCW, what could Ted do to benefit TNA?

Well TNA is a company that has risen up without a major sponsor or the means to be put out there, it is much like a territory based company. You could even say it's on the step about the Indy scenes, it's certainly a company inbetween what Indy companies and WWE are, it's neither one or the other.

Now with Ted Turner becoming free to go back to wrestling, an area of entertainment he's known to love. He can give that big step to make TNA on the same level as the WWE, the one thing he has from all of this is experience and knowledge. Dixie Carter is not a person who can take TNA to the big leagues, only someone like Ted Turner can. He has the experience and influence that can get TNA better recognition nationally and internationally, he knows TNA can be successful if he puts his experience to the test.

He will certainly know how to keep the company from making the same mistakes as WCW, he knows how to make it a success and he will bring in the right and trustworthy people to get the company to be runned his way without him having to constantly check over his shoulder the moment something goes wrong. He can bring the major publicity that TNA lack, he will be able to advertise the company strongly and make people realise there is more wrestling out there than the WWE. He will also clear out the rubbish that clogs up the company, he will want to give it a fresh and appealing look to newer fans.

Where WCW was a great success, Ted Turner can certainly run a great success with TNA, especially as it has one leg to stand on already.

But how can it compete with the WWE?

Well firstly, the attitude era is long gone. The Rock and Stone Cold are a distant memory and people have been known to complain alot about the product of late (Raw in particular), Smackdown is stuck on a network that not everyone gets and is shown on Friday nights were most people would be bound to miss it given the weekend starts there, ECW doesn't draw too much attention as it deserves. Furthermore top superstars are injured frequently, people are leaving, and the biggest factor is the PG era.

While the content is somewhat restrained at times, this is a great time for Ted Turner to get TNA to challenge the WWE after he does what he need to do to clean up the company and make it a big contender. WWE is even copying TNA's format of a gimmick based PPV which is interesting to follow, so TNA can be seen as a company to be a big success.

How long do you think TNA would need?

You say 2 years would be a good time if Ted did buy the company now. The first year would be the clean up act and getting the company on a roll and the second year would be when they can pick up the pace. Rome was not built overnight and neither was TNA but given how much Ted Turner has brought to wrestling in the past, he knows what is doing and will have the experience to give TNA the boost it needs to get where he wants. His experience and wealth alone would give them a boost over Dixie Carter.

WWE's biggest rival billionaire + the second biggest company in wrestling today = Success. If Ted Turner did buy TNA, he would certainly have it competing against WWE regularly in 2 years time.

Lee, you may take the stand!

I thought I'd be cheeky and steal Phoenix's headings. Why? I just can :p

TNA at the moment

First off a big kudos to Phoenix here, trying to butter me up with the Stevie reference, I see what you're doing ;)

So let us take a look at TNA at the moment. Phoenix points out how it is competing week in, week out with ECW. So lets look at the ratings then, because at the end of the day ratings are pretty damn important.

l_269770731422405e9e5a9aa5ba471087.jpg

(ratings taken from WZ, chart compiled by yours truly)
So here we have a graph of ratings from January to beginning of August of this year. What do we see? Ah so we have TNA's show Impact jostling with WWE's third brand, their brand for showcasing new talent. With that it's obvious that at the moment TNA is no competition for WWE.

Good question Phoenix, I'm glad you've asked that. Who is Robert Edward "Ted" Turner III? Why he's worth $2.3billion. Amazing when you think Vinnie Mac's not even a billionaire anymore. Amazing stuff! Imagine you had this guy worth twice as much as Vince McMahon, and a guy who once lead the biggest Wrestling promotion in the world! WCW was really something wasn't it?

But WCW folded!

Oh it did? Crap!

What can a rich 70 year old man do for a new up and coming company? I'm not sure, that's something that's really not going to go down well I think. You have a man who has a media empire, a man who has more than one thing to do. A man who's only experience in the field was with WCW, the former prestigious NWA belt which went to the WCW became the biggest farce in wrestling history when David Arquette won it. WOW, do you really want this guy running a wrestling company?

Or you could have a woman who's quite successful in her mid 40s who seems to know what to do. Yeah that would be better....but lets assume TNA has its big money man, lets step up!

How about they do what WCW and offer big contracts for WWEs biggest stars, you could maybe get Cena and Batista over, but the rest of the main eventers. No, they're too much of company men, but would that add to ratings? No, adding Angle, Foley et al didn't so why should a few others?

A lot longer than two years, you need turner to shape the company like he wants and then you have the MEM and co, the big money names that get people to tune in. But then you have TNAs farm system, that would be key in the long term success. What? They don't have one, amazing. Well then erm then that's a bit sucky isn't it?

I thought I'd be cheeky and steal Phoenix's headings. Why? I just can :p

Successful formulas are always good ;)

First off a big kudos to Phoenix here, trying to butter me up with the Stevie reference, I see what you're doing ;)

So let us take a look at TNA at the moment. Phoenix points out how it is competing week in, week out with ECW. So lets look at the ratings then, because at the end of the day ratings are pretty damn important.

l_269770731422405e9e5a9aa5ba471087.jpg

(ratings taken from WZ, chart compiled by yours truly)
So here we have a graph of ratings from January to beginning of August of this year. What do we see? Ah so we have TNA's show Impact jostling with WWE's third brand, their brand for showcasing new talent. With that it's obvious that at the moment TNA is no competition for WWE.

Pretty graph.

When you say they're jostling, it clearly means they're in competition with the third ranked show on WWE. As I said earlier, they are able to beat ECW at times on a weekly basis, but it doesn't stay for long, alot of issues internally are running at the moment. While I do concur they're no competition for WWE as a whole at this time, this is why we are debating on why Ted Turner can make it a competition with the 'E.

Good question Phoenix, I'm glad you've asked that. Who is Robert Edward "Ted" Turner III? Why he's worth $2.3billion. Amazing when you think Vinnie Mac's not even a billionaire anymore. Amazing stuff! Imagine you had this guy worth twice as much as Vince McMahon, and a guy who once lead the biggest Wrestling promotion in the world! WCW was really something wasn't it?

But WCW folded!

Oh it did? Crap!

Ah but again, this was beyond Ted Turner, he got WCW up and running from 1988 and it was starting as a big company from 1990 onwards. They were competing to take viewing figures away from WWE's main shows and it work to a point where in 1995, WCW was in the black and Ted Turner was happy.

Ted Turner invested a lot of money and did get the likes of Hogan, Nash, Savage and Hall, etc to bring WCW up to where it was. But the reason it folded was due to TimeWarner buying his network and restricting Bischoff's control. Because of this, Turner was having no power from being forced out by the AOL TimeWarner merger who ended up selling the company. By the time WCW folded, it was out of Turner's control and finance, they had lost their main lifeline because of TimeWarner.

By the time the AOL-TimeWarner merger had occured, Turner was forced out, they had Bischoff removed, Vince Russo was running things, David Arquette won the championship. Everything happening was a literal clusterfuck. While Ted Turner was part of the success, he was staying on a sinking ship despite him losing high amount of money on a yearly basis, he refused to let it die and while Ted tried to save it, he was overpowered by AOL-TimeWarner who had removed from his own empire in order to get rid of WCW. Had it not been for this merger and Turner being overpowered, WCW might have stood a chance.

What can a rich 70 year old man do for a new up and coming company? I'm not sure, that's something that's really not going to go down well I think. You have a man who has a media empire, a man who has more than one thing to do. A man who's only experience in the field was with WCW, the former prestigious NWA belt which went to the WCW became the biggest farce in wrestling history when David Arquette won it. WOW, do you really want this guy running a wrestling company?

That wasn't down to Ted Turner. By the time Arquette became the champion, Turner was losing his control over WCW and they were getting desperate to bring in viewing figures. Vince Russo was the man responsible for David Arquette winning the WCW World Title, he even had himself booked for winning the World Title. He was brought in by TimeWarner and under his "leadership" WCW lost ratings and folded. I'm pretty certain your last quote should be aimed at Russo, not Turner.

Or you could have a woman who's quite successful in her mid 40s who seems to know what to do. Yeah that would be better....but lets assume TNA has its big money man, lets step up!

By removing the main people who got TNA running? The people with the actual experience so she can please certain members of the roster? She's playing dirty and forcing Jeff Jarrett out of the company, she's been firing his supporters and main bookers, they just got rid of Jim Cornette and BG James who were two of his biggest supporters and one of them was TNA's main bookers.

With the way things are going under Dixie Carter, they could be going for a big drop with all of the politics going on. The mistake Dixie is making is she's doing to Kurt Angle what Bischoff did to please Hogan. Ted never got highly involved with his company on face value, he stays behind the scenes and let Eric do most of the running. If anything, Dixe Carter could end up being the person who causes TNA to fail where Ted Turner, a more experienced man, could in fact save it!

How about they do what WCW and offer big contracts for WWEs biggest stars, you could maybe get Cena and Batista over, but the rest of the main eventers. No, they're too much of company men, but would that add to ratings? No, adding Angle, Foley et al didn't so why should a few others?

A lot longer than two years, you need turner to shape the company like he wants and then you have the MEM and co, the big money names that get people to tune in. But then you have TNAs farm system, that would be key in the long term success. What? They don't have one, amazing. Well then erm then that's a bit sucky isn't it?

Where you say they should, it proved successful as it got WCW into the Black from investing in Hogan, Savage, etc. But TNA can only grab the up and risers that WWE failed to get over or released them for uncertain reasons. They're getting hold of guys who were popular with the fans but can now prove why they are going to be successful. But where Angle and Foley haven't instantly brought the ratings they needed in, because simply put, they messed it up, the fact is TNA's ratings have increased slowly over time. Back in the day, they couldn't manage a 0.5, now they're hitting 1.0-1.1 and it keeps remaining around that without any sudden drops much like Raw.

Where they may not have a farm system, it doesn't mean Ted Turner wouldn't one started to bring in new talent. But even so, newer and rising members are coming in and getting the crowd behind them, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Matt Morgan are among names that have found success and got over in TNA where they failed in the past. While their current farming system is mainly taking what the WWE doesn't want and trying to use them, they can work at times. While Ted Turner's finance and influence would work, they know he can bring success, he certainly can't bring Cena or Batista in, but everybody's got a price, so you never know if there's a few established members who could be brought over because Ted's finance would provide them that, the money that TNA currently can't offer right now!

As said before, TNA needs greater means of advertising, a better channel, better financial backing and a better direction than the one they have. With Ted Turner backing them, he can provide it, he would have better control of the company and people wouldn't be forcing him out like what TimeWarner did which caused WCW to fail. Given Dixie Carter is making the mistakes that Eric Bischoff did that Ted Turner didn't do, he's got a great chance to save the company at a point where TNA could face troubles with the recent offloading of the experienced members of their backstage and booking teams. Ted Turner can bring TNA up, he managed to with the right people with WCW, he certainly can do it with TNA.

Successful formulas are always good ;)

Damn rights they are....E=MC2 did well.

Pretty graph.

So's your mum ;)

When you say they're jostling, it clearly means they're in competition with the third ranked show on WWE. As I said earlier, they are able to beat ECW at times on a weekly basis, but it doesn't stay for long, alot of issues internally are running at the moment. While I do concur they're no competition for WWE as a whole at this time, this is why we are debating on why Ted Turner can make it a competition with the 'E.

You're trying to argue that TNA can be competition because the third show is sometimes beaten in the ratings by TNA? Last week TNA drew a 0.9, when superstars (the FOURTH WWE show) drew a 0.8. Ouch.

Ah but again, this was beyond Ted Turner, he got WCW up and running from 1988 and it was starting as a big company from 1990 onwards. They were competing to take viewing figures away from WWE's main shows and it work to a point where in 1995, WCW was in the black and Ted Turner was happy.

Yeh but you have to realise at the time the difference in ratings full stop, WWE was at a 6 usually and that was as the second promotion. Now WWE is number 1 and it's lucky if it gets a 3.5. That's a big difference in times.

Ted Turner invested a lot of money and did get the likes of Hogan, Nash, Savage and Hall, etc to bring WCW up to where it was. But the reason it folded was due to TimeWarner buying his network and restricting Bischoff's control. Because of this, Turner was having no power from being forced out by the AOL TimeWarner merger who ended up selling the company. By the time WCW folded, it was out of Turner's control and finance, they had lost their main lifeline because of TimeWarner.

All aside from Hogan have been involved with TNA at some point, and it's made no difference. So we're assuming that Turners buy out has nothing to do with AOL Time Warner then? If so then good beef, however I don't think it will be out of this, at the end of the day he lost $7billion with this merger, I think he'll be careful about gambles.

By the time the AOL-TimeWarner merger had occured, Turner was forced out, they had Bischoff removed, Vince Russo was running things, David Arquette won the championship. Everything happening was a literal clusterfuck. While Ted Turner was part of the success, he was staying on a sinking ship despite him losing high amount of money on a yearly basis, he refused to let it die and while Ted tried to save it, he was overpowered by AOL-TimeWarner who had removed from his own empire in order to get rid of WCW. Had it not been for this merger and Turner being overpowered, WCW might have stood a chance.

I very much doubt this was due to the time warner merger, afterall he was Vice Chairman of the coporation up until 2006, so he did get his say so!

That wasn't down to Ted Turner. By the time Arquette became the champion, Turner was losing his control over WCW and they were getting desperate to bring in viewing figures. Vince Russo was the man responsible for David Arquette winning the WCW World Title, he even had himself booked for winning the World Title. He was brought in by TimeWarner and under his "leadership" WCW lost ratings and folded. I'm pretty certain your last quote should be aimed at Russo, not Turner.

Maybe it should be aimed at Russo, but isn't Russo still with TNA? Turner and Russo combo didn't work before!

By removing the main people who got TNA running? The people with the actual experience so she can please certain members of the roster? She's playing dirty and forcing Jeff Jarrett out of the company, she's been firing his supporters and main bookers, they just got rid of Jim Cornette and KP James who were two of his biggest supporters and one of them was TNA's main bookers.

If I commented on htis it would take it off topic, but the jist is simply this...how do you know they were fired for this reason?

With the way things are going under Dixie Carter, they could be going for a big drop with all of the politics going on. The mistake Dixie is making is she's doing to Kurt Angle what Bischoff did to please Hogan. Ted never got highly involved with his company on face value, he stays behind the scenes and let Eric do most of the running. If anything, Dixe Carter could end up being the person who causes TNA to fail where Ted Turner, a more experienced man, could in fact save it!

Teds experience was in a company that failed! I'd also hardly say Angle is on the same level as Hogan, yeh he's one of TNAs biggest stars but hardly on a Hulk Hogan level.

TNA is not ready to compete with WWE at the moment, even if it had a Ted Turner windfall it would take more than two years.

Where you say they should, it proved successful as it got WCW into the Black from investing in Hogan, Savage, etc. But TNA can only grab the up and risers that WWE failed to get over or released them for uncertain reasons. They're getting hold of guys who were popular with the fans but can now prove why they are going to be successful. But where Angle and Foley haven't instantly brought the ratings they needed in, because simply put, they messed it up, the fact is TNA's ratings have increased slowly over time. Back in the day, they couldn't manage a 0.5, now they're hitting 1.0-1.1 and it keeps remaining around that without any sudden drops much like Raw.

Mr Kennedy or Hogan? Umaga or Savage? Sudden drops? Like last weeks 0.9 rating?

Where they may not have a farm system, it doesn't mean Ted Turner wouldn't one started to bring in new talent. But even so, newer and rising members are coming in and getting the crowd behind them, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Matt Morgan are among names that have found success and got over in TNA where they failed in the past. While their current farming system is mainly taking what the WWE doesn't want and trying to use them, they can work at times. While Ted Turner's finance and influence would work, they know he can bring success, he certainly can't bring Cena or Batista in, but everybody's got a price, so you never know if there's a few established members who could be brought over because Ted's finance would provide them that, the money that TNA currently can't offer right now!

There's a difference in getting over in TNA to getting over in the wider wrestling world.

You're trying to argue that TNA can be competition because the third show is sometimes beaten in the ratings by TNA? Last week TNA drew a 0.9, when superstars (the FOURTH WWE show) drew a 0.8. Ouch.

Key word is sometimes, I said they do have a run of being ahead of ECW but drops at times because of inconsistencies and all the current internal problems TNA are having which are affecting viewership at this time. Last week may have been a 0.9 but in the same week, ECW only managed a 1.0, so it's not as big of an ouch there as you claim it to be.

We probably won't be able to find out how Impact does this week until after this debate is over.

Yeh but you have to realise at the time the difference in ratings full stop, WWE was at a 6 usually and that was as the second promotion. Now WWE is number 1 and it's lucky if it gets a 3.5. That's a big difference in times.

Well naturally that's why the PG era is in affect, to keep the key audiences in. Back in the 90s wrestling was big, WCW provided the main wrestling bouts, WWE provided the entertainment and ECW brought the hardcore revolution in, it's no secret that the 90s was wrestling's biggest decade. But the IWC and forums like this recognise the change in times and the problems WWE has as a company because it lacks competition, I think we see at least 20 new threads a week with something to moan about that's not happy about. I just had a look in the TNA section, most of the anger seems to be at the backstage issues and what Dixie Carter has planned for the company in some parts.

All aside from Hogan have been involved with TNA at some point, and it's made no difference. So we're assuming that Turners buy out has nothing to do with AOL Time Warner then? If so then good beef, however I don't think it will be out of this, at the end of the day he lost $7billion with this merger, I think he'll be careful about gambles.

I very much doubt this was due to the time warner merger, afterall he was Vice Chairman of the coporation up until 2006, so he did get his say so!

In regards to gambles, he did try and keep WCW alive when the board of AOLTW didn't want it going. He had no backup support and the board overpowered him in keeping WCW alive. You said yourself, he was Vice-Chairman, meaning he answers to the Chairman, so he had no choice but to let them have their way despite not wanting WCW to fold.

Maybe it should be aimed at Russo, but isn't Russo still with TNA? Turner and Russo combo didn't work before!

Which is why I have stated he's the first person Ted Turner would remove from the TNA product unless he had something big to work with. But when Russo came in, Ted's main control was restricted by TimeWarner, they even begged Bischoff to come back and save the company. Russo was one of the reasons WCW died, I mean you have David Arquette and himself holding the WCW title but also the clusterfuck known as Bash at the Beach 2000.

The top two reasons why WCW failed have been named as David Arquette winning the belt (Russo's idea) and Russo being head of creative without a filter in the form of Vince McMahon. Russo was the reason why the company was brought to it's knee, so it's no secret the combination didn't work. But this was more the people inbetween Turner and WCW Management who made this call. TimeWarner and Russo thought it would be a great idea to put the belt on Arquette and this is what killed the company, I'm pretty much certain Ted Turner would have stopped this had this not for been TimeWarner freezing up his control at the time.

If I commented on htis it would take it off topic, but the jist is simply this...how do you know they were fired for this reason?

Well given that they have been two of out the four closest Jarrett allies who have been fired this year, it's pretty obvious that there is some backing to the idea that this is part of phasing out Jarrett. Not to mention that Cornette was butting heads with Russo and KP James wasn't being used. It's a combination of the two, but you can see Jarrett is on his way out.

Teds experience was in a company that failed! I'd also hardly say Angle is on the same level as Hogan, yeh he's one of TNAs biggest stars but hardly on a Hulk Hogan level.

I never meant on a popularity level, but Angle has the same power as Hogan had in WCW, or what Triple H has in the WWE, he's the golden boy and Dixie right now is doing everything to make him the special one, giving him the control at the expense of Jarrett, just because Jarett might be dating his ex-wife.

TNA is not ready to compete with WWE at the moment, even if it had a Ted Turner windfall it would take more than two years.

You're right, they're not ready to compete. Because they're at a phase of being headless chickens which is why the need the power and influence of Ted Turner there. He knows the right people, has the finance, he knows who to get rid of and who to bring in. Dixie Carter doesn't know what she's doing except trying to keep Angle special and is thinking about reducing the amount of PPVs they provide, an act like this would surely kill the company as they don't out their buyrates. Vince Russo thinks he's the one who made the Attitude Era and wants to bring that to TNA, clearly it's not working as much. Ted Turner can remove the garbage and get TNA cleaned up, with some plans to bring in new members already in motion, it could be a great company.

While it would need about two years to get it into full motion, someone like Ted Turner can save it before a mistake is made by Carter or Russo. The moment something bad happens to Angle, it's going to be on her head, had Turner been around, he would have been removed because of him being a liability, I know he's cleared of stalking charges, but he still is awaiting a prison sentence for driving with a suspended license and carrying unprescribed HGH, an illegal substance in the US.

Mr Kennedy or Hogan? Umaga or Savage? Sudden drops? Like last weeks 0.9 rating?

I thought you said that the times were different to consider doing comparisons like this? You know Hogan and Savage are too high up compared to Kennedy and Umaga, I said they were guys with big potential to be over and be successful, while WCW got in Hogan and Savage when they were big, TNA still have made stars who got big through them.

In reference to Raw, their ratings has been jumping up and down, the guest hosts can work or fail pending on who's in the show. You said yourself, they're lucky to reach a 3.5 at times and they're experimenting to bring themselves up, you've surely been reading the reports during the past number of months of why they're doing this right? To give Raw some celebrity feel to bring in the viewers when it affects programming, there's a reason why many say Smackdown is the better show!

There's a difference in getting over in TNA to getting over in the wider wrestling world.

You're correct, and that difference is Ted Turner ;).

In Summary

Ted Turner is a man who knows how to be successful at running a business. He took Jim Crocket Promotions, a highly well known company that had troubles against the then WWF and turned it into WCW, a company that provided the biggest competition and came close at one point to putting their rivals out of business. But where the internal problems came, these were beyond the control of Ted Turner, by the time WCW folded, Turner was the one man who stood to try and keep it alive but AOL TimeWarner would have none of it, they restricted his financial feed and influence, taking away their main lifeline and putting in rubbish like Vince Russo.

Looking at TNA, a company who's lifespan is getting to the point where JCP had lasted, it's a territorial based company who has slowly risen up to try and be a company to compete with the WWE. It needs publicity, promotion and a strong financial backer who can bring it to the level it needs to be at and that man is Ted Turner. He knows the experience of owning WCW and he knows how to make a wrestling organisation successful, while the like of Dixe Carter, Russo and other internal conflicts highly affect the company at this time, it needs a new slate to bring it to the next level, somethingh Turner can provide. On top of that, Turner can make TNA big in two years, they have the ground already set and their popularity is slowly gaining, so he has the means to take it to that final step.

If there's one thing Vince McMahon knows, is who his main enemies are, if he didn't that's not why he made Turner sign a contract to stay away from wrestling for a certain number of years. Turner can make another company successful and TNA is at the point where he can bring its popularity up and clear out the garbage it needs from ignorance and inexperience. If TNA was brought by Ted Turner, they can and will be THE next competition WWE has by two years.

I'll do a better write up when I am on my PC.

Clarity: Lee

Punctuality: phoenix

Information: Phoenix

Emotion: Lee

Persuasion:phoenix

TM rates this 3 points Phoenix to 2 points Lee

Clarity- Phoenix
Both arguments were clear and neat, but I give the point to Phoenix for putting more in one line.

Punctuality- Phoenix
What TM said.

Information- Phoenix
Phoenix came very well prepared into this debate. Phoenix gave a detailed background of who was in charge of WCW at what point to excuse Ted, and help his argument.

Emotion- Lee
I didn't notice any significant emotion from either debater, but if I had to choose I'd say Lee showed he believed in his argument more.

Persuasion- Phoenix
Phoenix perfectly explained why Ted would be great for TNA, while at the same time explaining why Ted didn't have his hand in WCW's fall, which would be the main concern if he took over WCW.

Phoenix - 4 points.
Lee - 1 point.

Clarity: Both were very clear, easy to understand and read.

Point: Split

Punctuality: Phoenix was on time.

Point: Phoenix

Information: Lee started out pretty good, but Phoenix had very good information on how Ted started with JCP, and how his hands were pretty much tied with the fall of WCW.

Emotionality: Both were fairly calm, cool, and collect, and while Phoenix brought the information, Lee brought a smidge more attitude to the table.

Point: Lee

Persuasion: I usually think that TNA won't do much in terms of competing with the WWE. But Phoenix brought both sides to the Ted Turner story. He brought the success, and the downfall and how you can't blame Ted for what had happened.

CH David scores this Phoenix 3.5, Lee 1.5.

Clarity of Debate: Lee, people could learn a lot from you here. You can argue in a page what it takes everyone else 6 pages to argue.

Punctuality: Read what TM wrote.

Informative: Graphs get this point by default.

Emotionality: Phoenix is always passionate when he debates. You get the point here, hombre.

Persuasion: The first debate I judged was between Phoenix and fromthesouth. In that debate, I scored a tie. This will also be the case here. Phoenix, you are an awesome debater, probably the best in this league. But, your one (minor) weakness is that you sometimes lack the ability to be concise. Although this point is moot when you face most debaters, I can't help but notice it when you go up against such people as Lee and fromthesouth. Lee, a little more passion on your part would help you immensely. Anyway, great job, both of you.

Point: Split

tdigle's Score

Phoenix - 2.5
Lee -2.5

Clarity of Debate: Lee's read through nicely and was to the point

Punctuality: Read what TM wrote

Informative: Seems like Pheonix did more work finding information, although the graphs from Lee were cool

Point: Pheonix

Emotionality: Lee came across as wanting to win this one more

Persuasion: It was a tough call, but in the end I think it was Lee who swayed me

I score this round

Phoenix - 2
Lee - 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo