Week 8: Milkyway! -versus- Phoenix

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Last Man Standing versus I Quit match: Better for finishing off a feud

Phoenix is the home debater, he gets to choose which side of the debate he is on first, but he has 24 hours.

Remember to read the rules. This thread is only for the debaters.

This round ends + 24 hours after Friday 1:00 pm Pacific

Milk gets a 6 hour extension.

Another tough cookie to choose on.

I'm going to go with the Last Man Standing Match and Milky can do the honours to begin

I'm not very good at opening arguements and running very short on time, so this post will more than likely be rather weak. Please forgive me. Goodluck to Pheonix. I hope you have a good debate, and I'm looking forward to debating you.

The I Quit match is a FAR superior tool to end a fued, than a Last Man Stand match. For many reasons, of which are going to be made known throughout this debate.

To Forcibly Make a Man Say "I Quit" is the End
Of all things. Not just wrestling. If I were going to school, and said I Quit, and followed through. I would no long go to school, no longer do the class work, and that would be that. I wouldn't ever do it again. If I were to do the exact same thing in a wrestling match, it would be assumed that I never have a match with this person, during that typical time period again. I said I was done with them, and nothing further should acumulate.

To be forced into saying "I Quit" is something more than being knocked out for 10 seconds. To be knocked out for 10 seconds, means you didn't give up, just because you couldn't go anymore. It means your body simply wouldn't go. Which is much easier to do. But to make a mentally ready opponent say "I Quit" a man that has worked his ENTIRE life to pursue this career, say "I Quit" when its all the line. Means your broke his spirit, and when you break a spirit, you've broken the body, far beyond its compacity limit.

There have been many less I quit matches, than Last Man Standing
There have only been 28 documented I Quit matches thus far throughout the history of Professional Wrestling. 12 in the WWE, 5 in WcW, 4 in ECW, 3 in RoH, 2 in NWA, and 2 in TNA. The Last Man Standing match, has been practiced a significantly more amount of times throughout wrestling history. Obviously, this makes an I Quit match more prestigous twards the wrestling world, than a Last Man Stand match would.

A Last Man Standing, isn't the most "hardcore" of its kind
Theres a further form of a Last Man Standing match, in that of a Texas Death Match. During a Texas Death Match, the opponent must pin one another, then get up, THEN be counted out by 10. This usually gives the wrestler trying to get up, around 15 seconds to recover, let alone the usual 10. An I quit match is one of its kind, and the highest form of complexity the match can get. Thus its better than a Last Man Standing match.

In the debate of Last Man Standing Matches (LMS) vs. "I Quit" Matches (IQM), I will be debating why LMS matches are better than IQ Matches. LMS matches are a match which is where you must beat your opponent until they cannont answer a 10 count (like a boxing knockout) and IQ Matches are a submission based match where you must get your opponent to say "I quit" instead of the usual tapping.

On Paper

Now on paper, beating your opponent until they can't compete sounds more ideal than a match that gets your opponent to submit, when theorectically they are glorifying a stipulation of winning a match, countouts vs. submissions, but the countout has been modified to a point of where it's about your opponent being beaten down as opposed to actually winning by getting them outside for a 10 count.

Usage and effectiveness

Now as my opponent Milky rightly said, Last Man Standing Matches have been used alot more than I Quit Matches, why? Because they are more reliable as a feud ender, and in most cases of WWE, they have used them more to end feuds in comparison to its opposing number here.

In the past two years, there has been two LMS and two IQ matches take place.

For LMS, they involved Triple H and Randy Orton. Despite the injury Orton received during the match, this match had ended up in resulting their feud of 2008 with Triple H winning on this occasion. The other was John Cena vs. Edge at Backlash which ended up having Edge win via a spot of the Big Show chokeslamming Cena through a spotlight, this ended Edge's feud with Cena and started a new one with the Big Show, the latter received a match of the night praise and even Dave Meltzer rated it as 4 and a half stars out of 5.

For I Quit, we' ve had Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy that had the feud end with this match type. The other was John Cena vs. Randy Orton that just occured at WWE Breaking Point, a PPV that came under heavy criticisms and one was because of the "I Quit" Match, the match didn't even resolve the feud, it's still going and will look to end in a Cell come October.

So currently in the past two years, LMS matches have ended a feud while IQ matches have only ended with one feud ending and the other continuing. This is an example why LMS are used more as a feud ender, because they work better as a match type, no DQ and forcing your opponent to defeat by beating them to a pulp, it's literally anything goes, in comparison to IQ matches where the embarrassment of saying it to lose doesn't end the feud but sparks the rival for revenge.

I'm not very good at opening arguements and running very short on time, so this post will more than likely be rather weak. Please forgive me. Goodluck to Pheonix. I hope you have a good debate, and I'm looking forward to debating you.

Good luck to you too Milky, should be a good one.

To Forcibly Make a Man Say "I Quit" is the End
Of all things. Not just wrestling. If I were going to school, and said I Quit, and followed through. I would no long go to school, no longer do the class work, and that would be that. I wouldn't ever do it again. If I were to do the exact same thing in a wrestling match, it would be assumed that I never have a match with this person, during that typical time period again. I said I was done with them, and nothing further should acumulate.

But alas, the I Quit Matches have not seen many feuds end, the most iconic edition of this match (The Rock and Mankind) didn't see the feud end, it even ended up as a Last Man Standing Match the following month and finished off in a Ladder Match because neither answered the 10 count.

Likewise, Orton said I quit, but he's still feuding with Cena, clearly people don't seem to know when to quit despite saying those words. But this brings me to my other point, one point of feuds is to put the two wrestlers in the feud over, an I Quit Match has the negative impact of one wrestler losing serious momentum because they said those words (Matt Hardy, Orton, JBL) compared to a Last Man Standing match where both guys carry momentum even if you lost because you just went toe to toe to win and where one man may win, the loser can still go on (Triple H/Jericho, Jericho/Kane, Rock/Mankind, Cena/Edge, Orton/Triple H to name a few).

To be forced into saying "I Quit" is something more than being knocked out for 10 seconds. To be knocked out for 10 seconds, means you didn't give up, just because you couldn't go anymore. It means your body simply wouldn't go. Which is much easier to do. But to make a mentally ready opponent say "I Quit" a man that has worked his ENTIRE life to pursue this career, say "I Quit" when its all the line. Means your broke his spirit, and when you break a spirit, you've broken the body, far beyond its compacity limit.

As said above, it has a negative impact on feuds when both competitors are meant to have something gained. If you're fighting someone, you want to go all out and beat them until they can't respond, you don't want to stop because they said "I Quit". While the psychology plays a factor in IQ Matches, the fact you just beaten up your opponent so they can't fight back gives you a better superiority as the winner, you made them weak because they could not outlast you. Going all out gives the match a better flow than a match which needs to stop every now and then to see if the opponents wants to give up or not, matches need pace to be better praised and that's why Last Man Standing matches do get better praise than I Quit Matches

There have been many less I quit matches, than Last Man Standing
There have only been 28 documented I Quit matches thus far throughout the history of Professional Wrestling. 12 in the WWE, 5 in WcW, 4 in ECW, 3 in RoH, 2 in NWA, and 2 in TNA. The Last Man Standing match, has been practiced a significantly more amount of times throughout wrestling history. Obviously, this makes an I Quit match more prestigous twards the wrestling world, than a Last Man Stand match would.

But we're not here to discuss how prestigious a match is, otherwise this debate would be about Hell in a Cell or TLC being overused because of their PPV gimmicks (for example). This is about which match is more effective to end a feud. There's a reason why there's only 28 I Quit Matches ever (and 12 in WWE), it's because they don't provide a good feud ender as much as a Last Man Standing Match.

If one match is used less, it's because it doesn't work as well as it should and it's really shown of late. When looking at the I Quit Matches there have been, the only one that stands out is the Rock and Mankind, everything else has been lacklustre because they do the same stunts over and over (mainly quitting because a manager/valet is in danger or do an injury angle). If I Quit Matches were better, we would see more in the WWE, there's only been 12 in 15 years, they're not used regularly enough where a Last Man Standing will occur once or twice a year and finish off a feud effectively.

A Last Man Standing, isn't the most "hardcore" of its kind
Theres a further form of a Last Man Standing match, in that of a Texas Death Match. During a Texas Death Match, the opponent must pin one another, then get up, THEN be counted out by 10. This usually gives the wrestler trying to get up, around 15 seconds to recover, let alone the usual 10. An I quit match is one of its kind, and the highest form of complexity the match can get. Thus its better than a Last Man Standing match.

No it isn't, an I Quit Match is just another name for a Submission match, they just try to make it sound interesting because tapping out isn't effective enough. To submit defeat is the same as quitting, so if you can't tell me that Triple H tapping out to Chris Benoit isn't the same as Rey Mysterio quitting to Chavo Guerrero, then you must be misguided.

While the Texas Death Match exists, it's more problematic as it means the match has to end twice before we see a winner, fans aren't wanting to wait that long during a match like that, especially when the audience are kids and teenagers who have little or no patience. The Last Man Standing match is more effective because it's made to end the feud completely by beating them, they've spent months pinning and beating each other, the best way to let two animals finish each other off is to give them no rules and let them have it. Knocking out your opponent makes you more superior than getting to say I Quit, because the latter method holds and restrains the flow of a match compared to the other. This is why the Last Man Standing match has been a proven and effective match type to end a feud.

Paper often doesn't work like it should. Sports have showed this many times before, and as has the wrestling world. Honestly, to make me say I Quit, would be a HELL of a lot harder than simply knocking me out. Paper would say, that to knock a man out for 10 seconds, is rather simple. As we all know what the human spirit is capable of.

With a cause, we can achieve anything. Small, colonies in the American Revolution, took on and beat the massive British forces. They were out supplied, and out manned. But, they had a cause, and refused to say I Quit look where were at today.

Usage and effectiveness

If you really want to argue Usage and Effectiveness, than you would realise that an I Quit match is the most useful, and effective. As there have been many Last Man Standing matches throughout the years that have ended in a no decision. When neither man could answer the count, the most recent I can recall, being The Undertaker vs Batista. Out of the 28 documented I Quit matches, there is not a single no contest in the history of an I Quit match.

Now as my opponent Milky rightly said, Last Man Standing Matches have been used alot more than I Quit Matches, why? Because they are more reliable as a feud ender, and in most cases of WWE, they have used them more to end feuds in comparison to its opposing number here.

Thats silly, and we both know it. The I Quit match is used so little, because for one, its only been around since 1985. For two, the matches that have been used for the stipulation of I quit, have been mostly brutal, and bloody. Hell, the last I Quit match litterally showed torture, while Randy handcuffed Cena making him defensless, and beating him senseless with a kendo stick, trying to torture the word I Quit out of him.

In the past two years, there has been two LMS and two IQ matches take place.

You're incorrect. There have been at least 3 Last Man Standing Matches. Randy Orton vs Triple H June 22nd on the no commerical edition of RAW. Forthermore, this match did not end this feud. The feud went on to be finished at Night of Champions.

For LMS, they involved Triple H and Randy Orton. Despite the injury Orton received during the match, this match had ended up in resulting their feud of 2008 with Triple H winning on this occasion.

The feud would have lasted longer, had Randy Orton not been injured. Thats hardly a usable example.

The other was John Cena vs. Edge at Backlash which ended up having Edge win via a spot of the Big Show chokeslamming Cena through a spotlight, this ended Edge's feud with Cena and started a new one with the Big Show, the latter received a match of the night praise and even Dave Meltzer rated it as 4 and a half stars out of 5.

John Cena lost this match, because of a cheapshot by The Big Show. A cheapshot can not end an I Quit match. The match is deciesive cheap blows can not make you lose the match. Its not until you admit, with your own mouth, that your opponent is better than you. Theres a definete winner, no matter the case. Whereas in a match such as this, The Big Show came out, chokeslamming Cena through the spotlight. Edge might have won, but there was CERTAINLY room for another match, as the feud was left in a cliff hanger.

Good luck to you too Milky, should be a good one.

Thank you, and it allready is.

But alas, the I Quit Matches have not seen many feuds end, the most iconic edition of this match (The Rock and Mankind) didn't see the feud end, it even ended up as a Last Man Standing Match the following month and finished off in a Ladder Match because neither answered the 10 count.

The I Quit match didn't end their fued, neither did the Last Man Standing. I don't see how this can be an example for either one of us. Whats the point in bringing up useless information?

Likewise, Orton said I quit, but he's still feuding with Cena, clearly people don't seem to know when to quit despite saying those words.

Orton also defeated Triple H in a Last Man Standing match on June 22nd, which again, did not end their fued. The only reason why Orton is still fueding with Cena is because not olny was the I Quit match hurried into process, and missused, but also there is no other heel capable of taking Ortons place on RAW currently. Jericho is on SmackDown, and Miz/Swagger aren't main event caliber just yet.

But this brings me to my other point, one point of feuds is to put the two wrestlers in the feud over, an I Quit Match has the negative impact of one wrestler losing serious momentum because they said those words (Matt Hardy, Orton, JBL) compared to a Last Man Standing match where both guys carry momentum even if you lost because you just went toe to toe to win and where one man may win, the loser can still go on (Triple H/Jericho, Jericho/Kane, Rock/Mankind, Cena/Edge, Orton/Triple H to name a few).

Then again, this can be used agaisnt you. How awesome did John Cena look once he made JBL and Orton say I Quit. How awesome did Jeff Hardy look when making his brother quit. In both cases, the winners were HUGE merchandise selling machines after their matches. Ratings went up.

This is about which match is more effective to end a feud. There's a reason why there's only 28 I Quit Matches ever (and 12 in WWE), it's because they don't provide a good feud ender as much as a Last Man Standing Match.

Incorrect. The I Quit match proves a better ender. But, if it begins to be over used, and ends every other fued, such as the Last Man Standing match. It will be weakend, to the point of simply being an Ultimate Submission match.

If one match is used less, it's because it doesn't work as well as it should and it's really shown of late. When looking at the I Quit Matches there have been, the only one that stands out is the Rock and Mankind, everything else has been lacklustre because they do the same stunts over and over (mainly quitting because a manager/valet is in danger or do an injury angle). If I Quit Matches were better, we would see more in the WWE, there's only been 12 in 15 years, they're not used regularly enough where a Last Man Standing will occur once or twice a year and finish off a feud effectively.

Read above.

No it isn't, an I Quit Match is just another name for a Submission match, they just try to make it sound interesting because tapping out isn't effective enough.

Theres a diffrence in tapping with your hand, than admiting infront of the entire world that someone is beter than you, and you just can't go any further.

To submit defeat is the same as quitting, so if you can't tell me that Triple H tapping out to Chris Benoit isn't the same as Rey Mysterio quitting to Chavo Guerrero, then you must be misguided.

Makes no sense. Rey Mysterio had to admit with his mouth that he was worse than Chavo Gurrerro. He had to say this, and be humilitaed in front of the entire world. This put Chavo over themendously, making his name look more dominant as a heel. As for Triple H tapping out, it simply meant that he lost the match, to say I quit, is to say the person you're facing is better than you.

While the Texas Death Match exists, it's more problematic as it means the match has to end twice before we see a winner, fans aren't wanting to wait that long during a match like that, especially when the audience are kids and teenagers who have little or no patience.

Patience isn't an issue with the Texas Death Match. The Texas Death Match has provided hours of entertainment for us over the years. The problem isn't patience, its intelligence. The croud of today are children, children would have a much harder time understanding the concept of a 3 count, then a 10 cound knockout. Compared to simply saying they must be knocked out for 10 seconds.

The Last Man Standing match is more effective because it's made to end the feud completely by beating them, they've spent months pinning and beating each other, the best way to let two animals finish each other off is to give them no rules and let them have it.

Knocking your opponent makes it to the point of you simply knocked them out. I can hit you with a car and knock you out, but that still doesn't make you the better man. To verbally say I Quit, would mean that I admit you're better than me, and that I can no longer face you.

Paper often doesn't work like it should. Sports have showed this many times before, and as has the wrestling world. Honestly, to make me say I Quit, would be a HELL of a lot harder than simply knocking me out. Paper would say, that to knock a man out for 10 seconds, is rather simple. As we all know what the human spirit is capable of.

But the interesting point is that the I Quit match needs a conscience person to say the words, you say knocking out a person is easier, well naturally it would be and the way anyone finds it easier to win is to strike the first punch and carry the momentum from there. Most of our everyday fights from boxing to computer games rely on you winning via knockout, a popular use which gives the sense of superiority.

Wrestling solely relies on pins, submissions and countouts, they are restricted in how much they can take their opponent apart. The moment you say you can win by beating your opponent to a pulp gets a fire burning and going, getting them to go and submit is restricting how much they can do to be affective in beating your opponent, so it's proven on paper and beyond why winning via knockout gets a bigger boost to anyone's morale compare to someone who's knocked out.

With a cause, we can achieve anything. Small, colonies in the American Revolution, took on and beat the massive British forces. They were out supplied, and out manned. But, they had a cause, and refused to say I Quit look where were at today.

So were the Spartans and every other small nation/colony that goes to war. War isn't just about quitting, it's about superiority, the most effective way to win is by eliminating your opponents. General and troops are not going to wait for someone to quit, they're waiting for someone to be removed by their own hand. War is about annihilation, where stragety is involved, armies don't care about mind games because they are built to win through blood, sweat and tears.

If you really want to argue Usage and Effectiveness, than you would realise that an I Quit match is the most useful, and effective. As there have been many Last Man Standing matches throughout the years that have ended in a no decision. When neither man could answer the count, the most recent I can recall, being The Undertaker vs Batista. Out of the 28 documented I Quit matches, there is not a single no contest in the history of an I Quit match.

Well using the Undertaker/Batista example may have been a good choice, but if you look more closer at that feud, after Wrestlemania, they booked it as a feud where neither man was better than the other. You had that cage match where they drew amongst others. The only time where a Last Man Standing is used to continue a feud is where it is fought to a no contest but when it is used to end a feud, a winner stands tall.

Naturally I Quit matches are not set to be a match where it ends in a draw, but yet there have been some examples where matches like that or similiar have ended without a legit person quitting, Mankind was knocked out and was screwed out of a match as well as Austin passing out on Bret Hart. Yes I know the Austin/Hart match is a Submission match, but given Submission matches and I Quit matches are the same thing, it can be added as a match where neither man quit.

You said it's most useful when it's barely been used as much as a Last Man Standing match, if it was as useful as a LMS match, it would have been used more often, but it has not.

Thats silly, and we both know it. The I Quit match is used so little, because for one, its only been around since 1985. For two, the matches that have been used for the stipulation of I quit, have been mostly brutal, and bloody. Hell, the last I Quit match litterally showed torture, while Randy handcuffed Cena making him defensless, and beating him senseless with a kendo stick, trying to torture the word I Quit out of him.

Wait, what? You're saying because it was only around since 1985, it's been used so little?! :lmao: WWE started using it in 1995 and they've had more Hell in a Cell matches in lesser time, so that's not an excuse to say why I Quit Matches have been less around, it's because they don't work as effectively. To my knowledge (and correct me if I'm wrong) the Last Man Standing Match came as early as 1999, and yet has seen more in a decade than an I Quit Match because it was more effective to end fueds.

Interestingly, a submission hold like the STF, Crippler Crossface, Sharpshooter is also a form of torture, you're trying to force your opponent to quit through pain. It's something we see in regular matches each and every week. But while Orton may have tortured Cena by other means, it doesn't help every few seconds that a ref shoves a mike into Cena's face to see if he quits, he could just do it like does normally when a submission hold is applied.

You're incorrect. There have been at least 3 Last Man Standing Matches. Randy Orton vs Triple H June 22nd on the no commerical edition of RAW. Forthermore, this match did not end this feud. The feud went on to be finished at Night of Champions.

Ok, my error, I forgot about Raw and was thinking of the PPVs. Well naturally the feud wouldn't end because they named the PPV match before the Last Man Standing match was named to take place as I recall, so of course it didn't end the feud, it was a match to give the ratings a boost for Raw that week. They could have used an I Quit match, but wait, they didn't!

The feud would have lasted longer, had Randy Orton not been injured. Thats hardly a usable example.

Well if you look at how long the feud had gone on by, you could tell this was this would have ended regardless of if Orton got injured or not, they had been going on since Wrestlemania and they wouldn't have had Orton lose a third PPV in a row had he lost the LMS without the injury.

John Cena lost this match, because of a cheapshot by The Big Show. A cheapshot can not end an I Quit match. The match is deciesive cheap blows can not make you lose the match. Its not until you admit, with your own mouth, that your opponent is better than you. Theres a definete winner, no matter the case. Whereas in a match such as this, The Big Show came out, chokeslamming Cena through the spotlight. Edge might have won, but there was CERTAINLY room for another match, as the feud was left in a cliff hanger.

Yet so many times when a submission move has been applied in a Last Man Standing match, they tapped out anyhow, admitting they're weak to their opponent, but again, if they admit that, then surely the LMS would end? Clearly if they valued Quitting as a better option, they would include it in the stipulation of an LMS, but it's about beating your opponent until they can't even stand, nothing to hold them back. Yet how many impressive moments can you think of with an I Quit match? In comparison to the cheap shot moment you described, it made the match have a great spot to end it. You also forget that Cena and Edge had to end that night because of the draft taking effect straight after, they wanted to feud to end big and the LMS provided, cheap shot or not, it added to the fact that Edge still got over the top company man.

The I Quit match didn't end their fued, neither did the Last Man Standing. I don't see how this can be an example for either one of us. Whats the point in bringing up useless information?

Which proves the point that where neither match got the finisher of the biggest feud to start 1999. But the fact is, if the I Quit Match was a great feud finisher, then they wouldn't have called for the Last Man Standing match the following month, making it seen as a superior match. Neither may have ended the feud but if an I Quit match was used as a middle feud point match, it shows it's not made to end a feud when the LMS set up the end going into the follow night via the ladder match, that's how important the information is here.

Orton also defeated Triple H in a Last Man Standing match on June 22nd, which again, did not end their fued. The only reason why Orton is still fueding with Cena is because not olny was the I Quit match hurried into process, and missused, but also there is no other heel capable of taking Ortons place on RAW currently. Jericho is on SmackDown, and Miz/Swagger aren't main event caliber just yet.

That's your backup? Because Cena has no-one to feud with? As said before the LMS on June 22nd was booked AFTER the PPV match at Night of Champions was made, so it made it null and void. It was to give an entertaining match to give a boost a commercial free Raw and it worked. As for the Cena/Orton situation, it was never intended to end at Breaking Point, a good feud always lasts to the three month point. Whether or not the I Quit match was hurried or mis-used doesn't matter, this was a PPV that relies on Submission based matches, which the IQ Match is. They've booked Cena and Orton to finish in a Cell, if they felt the I Quit match wasn't a filler to get the fued to the next PPV, it wouldn't have been used. Hurried and mis-used doesn't excuse that it didn't end the feud because it's not effective as a feud finisher!

Then again, this can be used agaisnt you. How awesome did John Cena look once he made JBL and Orton say I Quit. How awesome did Jeff Hardy look when making his brother quit. In both cases, the winners were HUGE merchandise selling machines after their matches. Ratings went up.

Given that John Cena and Jeff Hardy were super over and merchandising sellers BEFORE any I Quit Matches took place, saying the I Quit Matches made them merchandise sellers is a real error there because Hardy was selling items from 2007 onwards when he returned and Cena was at least 8 months prior to his match with JBL took place and certainly long before he faced Orton. How often have you seen a face lose an I Quit Match? The only person that I have seen is Mysterio, who had to Quit because he needed to be written out for surgery reasons. Ratings wise, Raw was suffering when Jeff won his I Quit match, which is why they brought the guest host in, and after Cena won his match with Orton at Breaking Point, they had dropped in ratings from the week before, regardless of any NFL action, etc. If his won brought in the ratings, they certainly didn't work for Raw after Breaking Point which even had Trish Stratus on it!

Incorrect. The I Quit match proves a better ender. But, if it begins to be over used, and ends every other fued, such as the Last Man Standing match. It will be weakend, to the point of simply being an Ultimate Submission match.

Wait, what? You're saying if I Quit matches get over used they become an Ultimate Submission Match? A Submission version of an Iron Man match?

As said, it hasn't been proven to be a great or better feud ender because it's glorified version of a submission match which restricts the entertainment and build up factor in ending the feud, which a Last Man Standing can go beyond limits to give the cap off to a feud. Since it debuted, it's been the one successful way to end a feud after Hell in a Cell and Cage Matches.

Theres a diffrence in tapping with your hand, than admiting infront of the entire world that someone is beter than you, and you just can't go any further.

No it isn't. Submitting and Quitting are the same thing. You're tapping your hand saying you can't take it anymore he wins, much like what I Quit is doing. Submissions are what I Quit Matches are glorified versions of, in fact the early versions of an I Quit Match involved tapping instead of the microphone!

Makes no sense. Rey Mysterio had to admit with his mouth that he was worse than Chavo Gurrerro. He had to say this, and be humilitaed in front of the entire world. This put Chavo over themendously, making his name look more dominant as a heel. As for Triple H tapping out, it simply meant that he lost the match, to say I quit, is to say the person you're facing is better than you.

Read above about Submitting and Quitting.

It didn't actually benefit Chavo as much because all that happened was he got squashed by Benoit, won the Cruiserweight title 8 months later, lost it to Hornswoggle and lost the same match to Mysterio which buried him again. The I Quit match never benefitted Chavo at all, it just held off a way to put Mysterio back over.

Knocking your opponent makes it to the point of you simply knocked them out. I can hit you with a car and knock you out, but that still doesn't make you the better man. To verbally say I Quit, would mean that I admit you're better than me, and that I can no longer face you.

You just said because you knocked me out with a car, I wouldn't be the better man? Well of course not, you just knocked me out with a car, so of course I wouldn't be. You would be the better man because you got the better of me to take me out. Quitting doesn't always make the person better, if someone quits their job, it's because they think they can do better or had enough, doesn't mean the work is better than them. But in terms of wrestling, it is submitting, but when submissions are used regularly, it is where the I Quit Match loses its prestige, because it seen constantly through people submitting to a move. People tap, quit, all the time to put people over and it makes the loser weaker, being beaten because you couldn't out last your opponent makes you even weaker because he was better, stronger and could outlast anything and everything I give him. I can quit and come back tomorrow, I can get beat and be humiliated because I couldn't last. It's the way most competitive sports work.

In Summary

The Last Man Standing Match has proven on numerous occasions why it is a better feud finisher than an "I Quit" Match. While the latter is a glorified, or even renamed version of a Submission match, it still follows the same outline and feels very limiting in what it can do for a feud ender, especially when you have to have a ref shove a microphone in their mouths every five minutes to get a respond out of the competitors, it is why only 12 have been used in WWE and 28 used in wrestling all together since 1985.

On the other hand the Last Man Standing Match is a chance for wrestlers to get brutual to the point of making their opponent unable to compete, it gives you a better notch on your belt and a greater movtivation to know you can beat your opponent senseless until they are no longer a threat to you. IQ Matches have also tended to be used in the middle of a feud (Rock/Mankind, Cena/Orton) and the downside affect is the momentum it can have on a loser when a LMS can provide a boost to either member, winner or loser.

In short, the Last Man Standing is the more effective means of ending a feud between any two wrestlers, to my knowledge WWE has used them since 1999 and they tend to be used frequently because they are that successful a gimmick match to end a feud where Cages are overused and Hell in a Cell are too prestigious to be used in some of the lower league feuds. It's had a number of famous bouts and this is why WWE will continue to use this match type when it is appropriate to end a feud. This is why I strongly believe that Last Man Standing Matches are the best way to end a feud over an I Quit Match

Clarity Of Debate: Phoenix did the best job of keeping his debate clean and well laid out. Point him.

Punctuality: Feenex.

Informative: I guess Phoenix had the chance to beat Milk out, due to the punctuality issue, so he gets these points.

Emotionality: Milk showed his macho style here. Too bad he didn't go full, or he would have gotten a better chance to get points.

Persuasion: A topic I have thought about a few times, and there were good points brought up on both sides. I thought Phoenix was getting ready to shout THIS IS WRESTLEZONE during the debate. This is one of the closer points between you two, but as Phoenix had the advantage, he gets it.

TM rates this 4 points Phoenix, 1 point Milk.

Clarity: As it has gotten into later rounds, I'm seeing more and more the debates are clear as day, which is great.

Point: Split

Punctuality: Milky left a few days in advance.

Point: Phoenix

Informative: It was a great matchup, but Phoenix brought out some good stuff. Citing examples in which case feuds are ended by such matches, and what aren't.

Emotionality: Milky was defending well, trying to prove his point, but I just didn't feel it from him.

Persuasion: I felt that Phoenix did a great job on this. Milky had some good points as well, but the I Quit match just never seemed like a feud ender. In MMA or Boxing, you watch to see someone get knocked the fuck out. Yelling I Quit means that you can't handle what they are giving you at that time, but it doesn't end anything. In LMS matches, when it isn't a double countout, the feud is more than likely over.

CH David scores this Phoenix 4.5, Milkyway .5.

Clarity: Both were clear enough, but Milkyways was easier to read through

Point: Milkyway!

Punctuality: Pheonix

Informative: Pheonix posted more and brought up more information in those posts

Emotionality: Pheonix did what was needed to win this one

Persuasion: Pheonix had the chance to win this one and he took it, so he gets the point here

I score this one

Pheonix - 4
Milkyway! - 1

Clarity Of Debate - Milkyway!'s debate was laid out perfectly. Always remember to separate main post from rebuttal, Phoenix.

Punctuality - Read what TM wrote. Since Phoenix gets the point here, and wins, is there any point in continuing to judge? Why not?

Informative - Milkyway! brought in good information, and he used it effectively.

Emotionality - Milkyway!, good job on being aggressive. With most people, it just doesn't work. This is probably because they use aggression to cover up a piss poor argument. but, you improve as time progresses, as you capitalize on the constructive criticism that the judges give you. So, you get the point here.

Persuasion - Phoenix, you convinced me that Last Man Standing Match is a better way to end a feud than an I Quit Match. You get the point here.

tdigle's Score

Milkyway! - 3
Phoenix - 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo