Wade Barrett: Just How Bad Is He In the Ring?

I agree for the most part, however, I still feel it is a bit early to judge his in ring prowess, after all we have hardly seen him in the ring during his short career. We have really only seen one good length match from him where he has had an opportunity to really show off his skills, that match being vs. Cena at Bragging Rights and that happened to be a very good match. All of the other matches we have seen him in have been short (10 minute maximum) matches on either NXT or RAW, which is really not enough to make a fair judgment on his skills inside the ring.

However from what we have seen of him though I would say that he is good for what he is meant to be, an intimidating, high impact, brawler. He is not supposed to be the next Ric Flair he is supposed to be a big guy that will scare the shit out of you when you look at him and then beat the fuck out of you in the ring and he does exactly that. He also has a reasonably original big man move set, even incorporating a top rope (ok second rope, but work with me) elbow. Aside from that he sells well, plays to the crowd (and more often than not gets a great response) and he seems to have reasonable psychology. He is a good wrestler and will certainly improve with time, keeping in mind he has been on Raw about 6 months (give or take) so he is still a bit green.

He works that main event style of the WWE. Everything he does has more impact to it because they sell it like a big deal. His strikes are great, he bumps and sells good and he plays up to crowd in his matches much more than he ever did on NXT.

Another thing I've notice, Wade's "big man" stuff are mostly him countering moves. His version of the Bossman slam is kinda sloppy, but he just doesn't bust it out because he can. Its because he is desperate. The few times he has done a DDT, it was to counter the AA.

I understand if his style isn't your cup of tea. I don't know why people think he is bad either. Is he great? No. But I think given a few more months, it will really work for him. I think he is fun to watch now, though. lol

Well put, I think Barrett is fine in the ring. He carries himself like a star and wrestles more like a Triple H or a Stone Cold rather than The Rock or Lesnar, who were faster. Barrett looks tough, and acts like it, making everything he does look meaningful.

He is obviously still green, but out of every new wrestler that the WWE has intriduced in the last couple of years, Barrett is the one who makes me sit up and take notice, he has that star quality, and that is a rare thing. He will get better and better in the ring the more experience he gets but for someone as new as he is, he is perfectly fine, definately not bad

I think his character is absolutly fantastic as heel and his promo's are magnificent. In the ring he's not amazing though, his facials are good but he's a pretty basic wrestler, he doesn't do anything great, but then again his offence is far better looking then say, John Cenas. Granted he hasn't really been in any great matches, his match at Hell in a Cell with Cena was just ok but was enhanched greatly by the crowd heat and the stipulations surrounding it. Overall he's just ok, theres far far worse in Nexus. One David Otunga comes to mind

For what the WWE wants Barrett to do, he's quite good in my view. Why is it that every wrestler has to be another Shawn Michaels before it can be said that he's good? I do believe that he's still a little rough around the edges in some areas, but the man has entertaining matches. His match against John Cena at Bragging Rights was a damn good match. Barrett has a look, he has ring presence, he has mic skills and he can put on entertaining matches. What more can anyone ask of any wrestler?

This. If people can accept Sheamus as WWE champion, who doesn't have anywhere as much heat as Wade, is a pretty average wrestler too, and is nowhere as good on the mic as Wade is, then surely they should be able to accept Barrett as WWE champion.

Wade Barrett bad in the ring? Pfffftttt. I think not. It kills me when people start comparing everyone to Kurt Angle or HBK. What exactly does Wade Barrett have in common with either of these guys? As a general rule, I prefer to watch smaller more technical guys like Angle or HBK, but I can also recognize that many people don't fit into that category. Wade Barrett is a big guy who utilizes strikes and power moves....and that's ok! His matches are solid and his moves make sense. He stays within his character and accentuates his positives.

Wade Barrett is the real deal, my friends.

Its funny reading through this thread. I didnt think Barrett was considered 'bad' in thing ring in any way. In fact, during my months of lurking here I always got the impression that people here considered Barrett the second coming. I remember seeing a poll thread here comparing Nexus to the NWO and who was the greater stable and I just stopped coming after that. lol. But from what Ive read, the IWC is pretty high on Barrett, to say the least.

For my own opinion...Barrett gives me the impression that he could carry a heel title as well as JBL. Big guy...brawler...heel tactics...limited technical wrestling but pretty good at telling a story and using ring psychology...above average on the mic. Barrett is about as good in the ring as the other five guys currently in the WWF title hunt on Raw.

For the record and if it wasnt clear, Im a huge JBL fan.

One of the most common complaints I read on here about Wade Barrett is that he's shit in the ring. I just don't get why. I'm not stupid enough to claim Wade Barrett is a wrestling master. He's not. However he's certainly not shit..

Barrett is the furthest thing from crap in the ring. He's improved immensely since his time in NXT. He's got a ways to go, but he's shown that with the right opponent, he can certainly carry himself.

Why don't I think he's shit? Because he actually does what little he can do rather well. His offence while basic just works. He's a brawler, his moves don't have to be complex or pretty, as long as they look effective, which for the most part they do. He's also started milking the crowd for a reaction mid match, which they responded to.

Im a mark for storytelling and psychology in the ring, and Barrett does it well. He may be sloppy, but he knows how to work a crowd. His mannerisms are phenomenal, and what's expected of him, he does well.

It may be because I'm a mark, but I simply don't see Wade as a bad wrestler. A bad wrestler to me would be someone who doesn't sell, doesn't take bumps and (stereotypically) spends the entire match dominating his opponent in uninteresting fashion. Which Barrett doesn't do.

Agreed. Barrett takes bumps well, and certainly takes his share of punishment, and he sells it well. He's intriguing to me in the ring, because he's developed a good moveset, including the elbow off the top rope, and the big boot. I really like the way Barrett works the crowd and seems in control of what he's doing.

Don't get me wrong, Barrett isn't exactly good in the ring either. He's slow paced, limited in the ring and is kind of sloppy. Despite that however, he doesn't stink up the joint whenever he steps between the ropes and can have good matches (such as vs Cena). And in spite of these deficiencies he gets the job done in the ring. It won't be pretty, but it will do the job.

Well, Barrett is a brawler, and what he does, he does well. He doesnt have the greatest look, and he is slow and clumsy at times. But he's a good brawler, and he's slowly developing a nice moveset. What people need to remember is he's only been in the "big leagues" for 6 months! Not many guys come in right away and are fantastic in the ring. Barrett is definitely a work in progress, but the key word is progress, because he certainly is making it.

Eh, I don't think he's so bad. He's still a bit green, but he's pretty decent on the mic. I think with some more house shows and general training, he'll fair pretty well in the long run. All of the attention is on him right now because he's in the main storyline...but when the pressure is off of him in a bit he'll relax and become more ring savvy, if you want to call it that.

Give it time.

Ok, I will throw my hat in. Since we are only talking about in-ring ability, I will acknowledge yet ignore the fact that he is good on the mic and his leader persona.

However, his in ring skills are terrible. First, running through this thread I have seen as a defense "He's a brawler". Yeah ok, but this is not world brawling entertainment. I'm not saying he needs to be a high flier either, but something besides punch punch punch, kick kick kick, stomp stomp stomp would be nice once in a while. There's only so many times you can watch some frankenstein's monster flailing his limbs repeatedly before becoming bored. Additionally, let's be honest...almost anyone in the WWE can pull off "brawling" moves of punches and kicks if they have to, as just about every match has some of those. But if that's all you are able to bring to the table, it doesn't really mean much and it certainly is not a justifiable defense for cutting barrett some slack because he's "just a brawler."

Everyone criticizes cena's "5 moves" and to some extent randy orton now too, but from what I've seen, outside of brawling barrett does not even have that many. He may throw the occasional body slam or back breaker or sidewalk slam or clothesline in there but from what i've seen they are few and far between. And he's not that great at pulling off the few moves he does do. His finishing move is ok, but to be honest, a body slam looks more powerful because at least with that you have some momentum behind it.

Honestly, if barrett is not in a match with someone willing to go out of his way to carry the match and make him look good (jericho, cena, or orton), he flounders in the ring. Check out his match against r-truth on raw last week for example. He lumbers about like a drunken circus bear.

Now I'm not saying that there is not a purpose for him. WWE can certainly use some brawlers here and there. But not as legitimate main contenders as they are dull to watch, and honestly, the only reason he was given a main event is because it made sense from a storyline perspective, not from an in ring technical perspective.

However, his in ring skills are terrible. First, running through this thread I have seen as a defense "He's a brawler". Yeah ok, but this is not world brawling entertainment.

It's not "World Technical Entertainment" or "World High Flying Entertainment" but that doesn't stop other people from having their own match style.

I'm not saying he needs to be a high flier either, but something besides punch punch punch, kick kick kick, stomp stomp stomp would be nice once in a while. There's only so many times you can watch some frankenstein's monster flailing his limbs repeatedly before becoming bored.

So, a brawler shouldn't try to look like he is legitimately whooping some ass? I think Wade's best factor in the ring (besides his presence) is the fact that he can really lay in the hits. I am sure the other guy is just thankful that Wade clearly reels in the shots.

Everyone criticizes cena's "5 moves" and to some extent randy orton now too, but from what I've seen, outside of brawling barrett does not even have that many. He may throw the occasional body slam or back breaker or sidewalk slam or clothesline in there but from what i've seen they are few and far between.

Is he suppose to bust out a German suplex or some Japanese move? You just said he was a brawler.. And brawlers aren't fancy by any stretch. You've never seen a real fight outside of MMA, have you?

His finishing move is ok, but to be honest, a body slam looks more powerful because at least with that you have some momentum behind it.

Getting a Wasteland is the same drop height (or close enough) as falling off a ladder. How many times this year has someone gotten shoved off a ladder and have been down for only 30 second just to get right back up? The move isn't suppose to knock the guy the f out. It is suppose to keep him down long enough to get the win.

Honestly, if barrett is not in a match with someone willing to go out of his way to carry the match and make him look good (jericho, cena, or orton), he flounders in the ring. Check out his match against r-truth on raw last week for example. He lumbers about like a drunken circus bear.

Are you implying that Orton and Wade had good matches? You clearly didn't see them. They have as much chemistry as an human ass and sandpaper.

Now I'm not saying that there is not a purpose for him. WWE can certainly use some brawlers here and there. But not as legitimate main contenders as they are dull to watch, and honestly, the only reason he was given a main event is because it made sense from a storyline perspective, not from an in ring technical perspective.

Cena is a brawler. Orton is a brawler. Kane. Taker. Big Show. Austin. Rock. All of them have been brawlers because it is a very easy to lay out a match that the crowd can get into. For me, that is the WWE main event style. It's about being in a feud in which the two guys HATE each other and come match time, it is just a straight up fight. None of that fake flippy flip shit. But that "Imma knock your ass out" attitude.

The reason people think Barrett is garbage is because he can't do anything by himself. As a matter of fact, I havent seen him win a match against a superior opponent with out the help of someone. Maybe in NXT he managed to win one without Jericho getting involved, but since winning NXT and being on Monday Night Raw, tell me one time that he beat a Superior opponent (aka Cena, Shaemus, Orton, Kozlov, Khali, or whoever) without Nexus getting involved in anyway shape or form (whether it be attacking them backstage, attacking them on the way to the ring, interfering with the match etc.) I dont think he has. I mean he's got the strength and power to beat some of these superior opponents, but he doesnt show it, because Nexus always gets involved in same way. I honestly believe that had he just came in after winning NXT and made an impact like Shaemus did when he came in and just started challenging everyone, and managed to beat them, then we'd have more respect for Barrett. I mean some people still hate Shaemus but, he came in and just rose to the top started beating all the big names, and then came in and beat Cena for the title. He did it fairly. Some people take longer to get to the top then others do, but I have a feeling that had Barrett taken a similar path like Shaemus instead of "Nexus" then he'd be right up there with the best on both the performance level and respect level.

Also heres another comparison between Barrett and Cena.

Cena doesnt need help, he's been in gauntlet matches like Wade Barrett put him in, hes in Handicap matches, he's been in matches where his opponent were 2 or 3x bigger or stronger than him. But did you see him calling in reinforcements, or see him intentionally getting himself disqualified so he kept his title or any of that? No.

Barrett on the other hand, can't beat a superior opponent without some kind of "advantage". The only reason he's the leader of Nexus is because he won NXT, and because with him, he's keeping the rest of Nexus from losing their "job" they never should have gotten in the first place... at least not like that. Barrett always has to have some kind of "advantage" to win. To beat Orton at Survivor Series he tried to use Cena as his way out. On Raw the following night he beatup Orton before he got to the ring, because the Match never officially started so Nexus wasnt Banned yet. At Hell in a cell, Harris and Mc. had to get involved to get the win over Cena.

Let me see Barrett face Cena, Orton, Shaemus, or some big name WWE star without Nexus or any kind of an advantage getting in the way, and maybe then he'll earn my respect

There is a point for and against Barretts skills in the ring. The point for is that he can Wrestle although limited and basic gets the job done and he sure can get the fans going and responding to him. He is a big man who can give the strongest wrestlers as good as they can give him. The point against him is the fact that not many of his matches have ended cleanly as the other members of the Nexus are either at ringside or run into the ring and destroy his oppenent. Any one could win a match if there is 6 on 1!!!! Barrett needs to start coming in on his own, stand his ground on his own and stop relying on others to swing matches his way. That in itself has also lost him a fair few matches as well. He should stop taking shortcuts.

Barrett has the potential to be an excellent in-ring competitor. I am 100% looking forward to seeing his future in the WWE. I imagine an Edge Esque Career, for him. Sadistic, Very short face time, Long long Heel time. I wouldn't be surprised if he became a top dog. But he needs to learn a few things, I'll agree with that. He knows a lot already, though.

I dont mind Barrett in the ring at all, I do think he needs a better finisher though. His mic skills are fantastic and he makes a great heel.

the defense I`m hearing from alot of people is that he`s a brawler, and he`s new.

New: Sure, one usually isn`t expected to be great at first, but then again they don`t usually put said noob in the main event and taking up 90% of the show. Somethings gotta give, either extreme skills, or going to Thursday night Superstars.

Brawler: I`m actually a fan of this style over high flyers 9 times out of 10, but he even does that exceptionally poor. Even Miz could be considered a brawler and he`s 10 times better in the ring.

Also, I can`t help but notice alot of people arguing for barret also call themselves marks. Not to discredit you or anything but, well yea actually that is exactly what it does.

Brawler: I`m actually a fan of this style over high flyers 9 times out of 10, but he even does that exceptionally poor. Even Miz could be considered a brawler and he`s 10 times better in the ring.

Bwahahahaha!!!

I'm sorry, it's just that, well, you said that the Miz is 10 times better th-

Bwahahahaha!!!

Oh man, thanks, I needed that. I'm curious if you said that with a straight face, or if you could barely contain yourself. Man, that's one of the best laughs I had in a while. Good one!

Wade Barrett is one of the top in ring talents the company has. It's a shame they don't let him show it more often. The guy has amazing ring psychology and knows how to tell a story. He is a classic heel brawler, and brings a lot of what made JBL so much fun to watch. He has great size and ability, and is one of the best "sellers" in the company. The best part is that he is getting better, both in ring and on the mic. A massive man with a brawler style that transcends just being another monster heel is very refreshing.

One of the most common complaints I read on here about Wade Barrett is that he's shit in the ring. I just don't get why. I'm not stupid enough to claim Wade Barrett is a wrestling master. He's not. However he's certainly not shit.

Why don't I think he's shit? Because he actually does what little he can do rather well. His offence while basic just works. He's a brawler, his moves don't have to be complex or pretty, as long as they look effective, which for the most part they do. He's also started milking the crowd for a reaction mid match, which they responded to. It may be because I'm a mark, but I simply don't see Wade as a bad wrestler. A bad wrestler to me would be someone who doesn't sell, doesn't take bumps and (stereotypically) spends the entire match dominating his opponent in uninteresting fashion. Which Barrett doesn't do.

Don't get me wrong, Barrett isn't exactly good in the ring either. He's slow paced, limited in the ring and is kind of sloppy. Despite that however, he doesn't stink up the joint whenever he steps between the ropes and can have good matches (such as vs Cena). And in spite of these deficiencies he gets the job done in the ring. It won't be pretty, but it will do the job.

So yeah, state your claim.

Wade Barrett is Ok on the mic, but besides that nothing is really interesting or impressive about the dude. His matches arent actually something that would make you go and get some pop corn to watch. Their very boring to be honest. He basically is like another version of Shameus. Who isnt that good as well and shouldve never been allowed to come near a wwe title as quick as he did. But believe it or not the wwe will give that non talented fuck a world title run soon.

I like him a lot. He needs to grow and develop which if given the chance I am sure he will because he has all the potential in the world. I am glad he has not become WWE or World Heavyweight Champion yet and I would like him to grow as IC Champ before having another Heavyweight Championship shot. In my opinion it's time he went solo and stayed away from any sort of stable.

Wade Barrett isn't bad inside the ring at all in my view, it's just that Barrett's style just isn't what some people are into. Barrett is a good sized guy that does some basic stuff mostly but he does it well. He had a good grasp of in-ring psychology, knows how to tell a story inside the ring and he sells the moves of others very well. Barrett's about 6'5" and weighs 260 lbs, he's a big guy so you can't expect that he's going to be working a style like that of the Motor City Machineguns or Generation Me, who are all around 5'9" and weigh 170-180 lbs. He's not going to be running at full speed doing one suicide dive after another, moving into one move after another without selling it, etc. That's just not Wade Barrett's style and I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

I actually love Wade Barrett's in ring skill. He has great ring psychology and a very fitting move set. I love watching him performing the blackhole slam and the pump handle slam, even the Wasteland isn't too bad, perhaps if he fell with it like he does with the pump handle slam it might look more 'damaging'.

He had a match not too long ago with Kofi Kingston and he did this bad ass counter where he caught Kofi mid-trouble of paradise and laid waste to Kofi, so yeah I believe he is great in the ring and if he's matches with Kofi hasn't convinced you then perhaps he's matches with Orton might.

He's not bad just not that good especially working with someone who has the same style as him like Randy Orton. Strangley enough I actually thought his matches with The Big Show and Rey Mysterio were quite good. But yeah I think he falls in the category with Ted Debiase or Drew McIntyre ... the Val Venis Syndrome ... where his skills are good in the most basic sense but kind of bland.

Wade Vs Cena.......the matchs was amazing, and showed just how good he is. i am pritty annoyed with the fact they keep him in the corre and he was in nexus so it just hides how good he is. i personaly think he could be a WHC maybe the draft will let him out and show the world how good he is, atleast he would be better then some champions we have had? (miz)

Okay the argument can beasically be boiled down to this.

Dude has a very limited move set, even for a brawler, but the general opinion is that he understands the psychology.

I would also like to point out that it goes past that. his movements in the rings are akward and slow, and you can tell he`s out of breath before the match really starts. And I don`t even want to mention all his botches.

I have no proble with new guys needing time to work on the skills, and this dude is the definition of new. A boxer who woke up one morning and said, think I``ll be a wrestler today.

Here`s the thing. a guy can take all the time he needs to improve, nothing wrong with that, but should he be alowed to get pushed over other talent while he`s still this new and poor technically... I don`t think so.

Barret isn't bad in the ring.

He moves around like the typical heel and has the offense of a typical heel, which is great for his character. The only thing I can genuinely criticize about his in-ring skills is how bad his finisher is, and that's not even his fault. I'd even go as far as to say his in-ring skill ready for the main event, (Not for a feud with Cena, for Wrestlemania World Championship matches). He's pretty similar to The Miz in terms of offense and crowd psychology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back