Top 5 Greatest/Biggest Wrestlemania Main Events???

That N Word

Actively evolving
This thread is about the top 5 best WrestleMania main events ever!!! It doesn't necessarily has to have been a great match, but just something special about it.

#5- John Cena vs. The Rock- WrestleMania XXVIII- Definitely far from a great match, but it was decent. The match was special on so many levels. For nothing else it is widely considered "the biggest match of all-time."

#4- Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat- WrestleMania III- Widely considered along with my #3 pick as "the greatest WrestleMania match/match period of all time"

#3- WrestleMania 25-The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels- (See Above)

#2- WrestleMania 31- Brock Lesnar (c) vs Roman Reigns (WWE WHC)- This match was perfect from the entrance all the way to the final pyro. It told a story and had alot of great spots in it. We had two men literally fighting to their last breath and an opportunist former brother of one stealing the "New Dog's" biggest moment of his life. (Either this or the WrestleMania XX Main Event: Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Casper)

#1- WrestleMania III- Andre The Giant vs. Hulk Hogan- Just like #5 this is also widely considered "the biggest match of all-time." And just like #5 it wasn't a great match, but it was decent and was mega-hyped. This may not be "the greatest match" , but it is "the biggest."

What are yours???

Mania 3 Hogan v Andre: The first true major singles main event in Mania history and to this day one of the most anticipated matches in wrestling history.

Mania 5 Hogan v Macho: The two biggest WWF made creations of the Golden Age facing off against each other was huge.

Mania 6 Hogan v Warrior: Two biggest faces of that time going one on one in the first true babyface WWF main event was a major moment in wrestling history.

Mania 12 Bret v Shawn: This was the culmination of the New Generation one of the first indications that change was on the horizon in the wrestling industry.

Mania 17 Rock v Austin: The culmination of the Attitude Era. You could feel the finality of it all and knew that things weren't going to be the same after that match.

1. Hogan vs Andre WM3- no explanation necessary, biggest main event in WM history

2. Hogan vs Warrior WM6- end of the Hulkamania era, a match where you couldn't predict the winner, one of the best matches of the era

3. Austin vs Rock WM17- really good main event where you didn't know who would win; end of an era

4. Rock vs Cena WM28- huge main event that even though wasn't once in a lifetime was a spectacle that non wrestling fans were into as well

5. Austin vs HBK WM14- beginning of the Attitude Era and rise of wrestling back into the mainstream

1. Hogan/Andre Mania 3: The build alone warrants this match a spot on the list. I truly believe this was the greatest built match of all time.

2. Austin/Rock Mania 17: I don't think we'll ever see a match the likes of Stone Cold/The Rock again. Two of the greatest, both in their absolute primes with the fans at their backs. Not to mention that the actual match had everything you could want in a Wrestlemania main event.

3. Hogan/Rock Mania 18: The atmosphere during this match was just crazy. Although the match itself wasn't that great, I don't think anybody will ever forget the electricity in the building that night. A Toronto crowd single-handedly turned Hogan face and Rock heel with their reactions. Epic.

4. Michaels/Taker Mania 26: Never thought these guys could top their match at Mania 25, but they shocked the hell out of me and did it. This makes my list simply because it is arguably the greatest match of all time, Mania or not.

5. Ric Flair/Randy Savage Mania 8: These were my two favorites back in the day and to see them headline a Wrestlemania was just awesome. I know a lot of people wanted Hogan/Flair at this time, but I always thought Macho and Flair would have the better program. Adding Liz into the storyline made it for me, personally.

This thread is about the top 5 best WrestleMania main events ever!!! It doesn't necessarily has to have been a great match, but just something special about it.

#5- John Cena vs. The Rock- WrestleMania XXVIII- Definitely far from a great match, but it was decent. The match was special on so many levels. For nothing else it is widely considered "the biggest match of all-time."

#4- Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat- WrestleMania III- Widely considered along with my #3 pick as "the greatest WrestleMania match/match period of all time"

#3- WrestleMania 25-The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels- (See Above)

#2- WrestleMania 31- Brock Lesnar (c) vs Roman Reigns (WWE WHC)- This match was perfect from the entrance all the way to the final pyro. It told a story and had alot of great spots in it. We had two men literally fighting to their last breath and an opportunist former brother of one stealing the "New Dog's" biggest moment of his life. (Either this or the WrestleMania XX Main Event: Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Casper)

#1- WrestleMania III- Andre The Giant vs. Hulk Hogan- Just like #5 this is also widely considered "the biggest match of all-time." And just like #5 it wasn't a great match, but it was decent and was mega-hyped. This may not be "the greatest match" , but it is "the biggest."

What are yours???

So let me get this clear please. You say it doesn't have to be a great match but your question asks the greatest wrestlemania match. What am I supposed to make of this thread?

So let me get this clear please. You say it doesn't have to be a great match but your question asks the greatest wrestlemania match. What am I supposed to make of this thread?
I think he just meant that it doesn't have to be the greatest bell to bell/technical match-up but simply a match that was great or memorable to you for any reason. But what I don't understand is that it clearly specifies Mania MAIN EVENTS, & yet there are two matches on the OP list that weren't the main events & matches on other peoples lists like Hogan/Rock that weren't the main event either. So I just chose from matches that were the very last on the show.

Honorable Mention:
- WWE Championship: Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Shawn Michaels [Wrestlemania XIV]
- WWE Championship: Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock [Wrestlemania XV/X-Seven]
- WWE Championship: Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle [Wrestlemania XIX]

5.) Triple Threat Match for the World Heavyweight Championship: Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit [Wrestlemania XX] - One of the best Mania main event matches of all time & the match that really made me believe the little guy/underdog could win the big one.. even in WWE. It's too bad that Benoit's entire career is tarnished now, because that victory & embrace with Eddie afterwards should be one of the most replayed moments in WM history.

4.) Triple Threat Match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan [Wrestlemania XXX] - Talk about emotional endings with the underdog finally achieving his ultimate dream at the end, especially since Bryan's WM win was also a focal point in the story of Connor "The Crusher". I'd almost put it higher it it weren't for his match with Triple H earlier in the night totally outshining this match & stealing the entire show IMO. Also there's one other title win at WM that I'd consider more important & emotional than Bryan's.

3.) WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Brock Lesnar w/Paul Heyman vs. Roman Reigns [Wrestlemania 31] - Just a perfectly booked match IMO. We got the brutal war we were all promised, Lesnar is still the unbeatable beast, Reigns smiling the whole time while taking his beating & Rollins (being the 1st to ever cash-in at WM) comes in to pick apart the bones & steal the World Title. For a lackluster build, it's easily one of the greatest & most memorable Mania main events of the modern era.

2.) Iron Man Match for the WWE Championship: Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels [Wrestlemania XII] - & the title win I consider the most important is HBK's title win at WM 12! Not only was it the 1st time I ever remember watching a Wrestlemania but it's the moment that the WWE Title belt first meant something to me. It's simply the quintessential "Championship Moment" for me, anytime someone even talks about fighting for the title or waiting their whole life to win that belt, I instantly think of HBK kneeling on that canvas, with the Winged Eagle belt in his hands & Vince saying "The boyhood dream has come true for Shawn Michaels!".

1.) Career vs. The Streak: Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker [Wrestlemania XXVI] - One of the greatest matches is wrestling/sports entertainment history, possibly the saddest & most touching ending to a WM ever & one of the very few times a story line not only meant more than the WWE Title but it rightfully headlined Mania over the title. Also not only was the build fantastic & really made the match feel special & personal but this was probably the very peak for The Streak & was the match it meant the most to.

a lot of the matches you guys mentioned aren't main events; hogan/rock, flair/savage didn't go on last, ergo they aren't main events

Here's my list: these matches held great historical significance IMO, and hell, i enjoy watching them over and over again because they're so good:

1) Bret Hart vs Stone Cold - Submission match - Wrestlemania 13

2) Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels - Ironman Match - Wrestlemania 12

3) The Rock vs Hollywood Hogan - Icon vs Icon - Wrestlemania 18

4) Stone Cold vs The Rock - WWF Championship - Wrestlemania 17

5) Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns - WWE Championship - Wrestlemania 31

a lot of the matches you guys mentioned aren't main events; hogan/rock, flair/savage didn't go on last, ergo they aren't main events

Wrong. WrestleMania, like all pay-per-views, is a supercard, specifically defined as having multiple main events. Only one match HEADLINES the show, but WrestleMania can have as many as four main event matches. Hogan/Rock and Flair/Savage are WrestleMania main events.

Wrong. WrestleMania, like all pay-per-views, is a supercard, specifically defined as having multiple main events. Only one match HEADLINES the show, but WrestleMania can have as many as four main event matches. Hogan/Rock and Flair/Savage are WrestleMania main events.

Like CM Punk said in his podcast, you can book a show to have multiple main events, but there's only one main event and that's the match that goes on last.

Like CM Punk said in his podcast, you can book a show to have multiple main events, but there's only one main event and that's the match that goes on last.

CM Punk can have his opinion, but his opinion differs from fact, and the opinions of just about everybody else. The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, The Undertaker, and just about every other top star in the history of wrestling disagrees with him.

As for the original topic, my five picks would be:

5: WrestleMania 19: World Heavyweight Championship - Triple H (C) vs. Booker T

4: WrestleMania 24: World Heavyweight Championship - Edge (C) vs. The Undertaker

3: WrestleMania 20: Triple Threat Match for the World Heavyweight Championship - Triple H (C) vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit

2: WrestleMania 29: CM Punk vs. The Undertaker

1: WrestleMania 26: No DQ No Countout Streak vs. Career Match - The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels

I'm in the minority and with Punk on this one. From a boxing card mentality you can have multiple co-features but the Main Event is the match that goes on last.

For the original topic:
1-Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant
2-Hulk Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior
3-Shawn Michaels vs Steve Austin
4-The Rock vs John Cena I
5-Randy Savage vs Hulk Hogan

My top 5 are...

Hogan, Mr T vs Paul Orndorff, Roddy Piper
Only because my favourite TV show at that time was the A-team fan and I had been watching wrestling for a couple of years before but this match and whole event got me into wrestling as a huge fan and always have been since so ive great memories watching it.

The Rock vs Hulk Hogan
It was great seeing the return of Hogan after years being away and going up against one of the biggest current stars at that time.

Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels ladder match
one of my favourite matches ever and innovative for its time.

Bret Hart vs Steve Austin
It was a great match I also liked the double turn storyline outcome too which I had never seen done before.

Steve Austin vs Shawn Michaels
A great match and great ending with tyson sort of double crossing HBK.

Theres probably better matches I'm forgetting and can't remember exactly what wrestlemanias their all from and wether they were the main event or not, Even though I see some complaining about not main events but I don't take it that serious enough to research it all to check.

think whatever you want but a main event is the last match on the card period, any other match is a special attraction

think whatever you want but a main event is the last match on the card period, any other match is a special attraction

Jesus who cares? Does every thread have to turn into a shitshow over the most insignificant crap? You're definition of main events differs from mine and others... accept it and get over it ffs.

I don't get how a one sided ass beating by Brock on Reigns is making the all time top 5 list. That's insane. As much as I liked Shawn vs Taker 2, I still think it's slightly over rated and not top 5 worthy. I don't mean over rated in a bad way, just that I think others are better.

#1 The Ultimate Challenge:

Ultimate Warrior vs Hulk Hogan

-This was the main event of all main events. The promo, storyline, iconic characters, the actual match, and most importantly...the finish. Epic. It had it all, and it was perfect.

#2 End of the Attitude Era

The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

-The only other face vs face main event with two gigantic figures. This had the icons, the build, the storyline, the match, but not the finish. It was an epic failure as far as that's concerned. Unfortunate, but regardless it was still one of the best ever until that point.

#3 Iron Man Match

Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels

-This could be #2, but I chose the magnitude of the match over the match/finish. This had it all...amazing from start to finish.

#4 Once in a Lifetime

John Cena vs The Rock

-A year in the making. This match had everything...the build, the real heat, the hype, the match, the finish, and even the entrances. It was awesome, and being there live made it even better.

#5 Mega Powers Explode & Unstoppable Force Meets Immovable Object

Macho Man Randy Savage vs Hulk Hogan & Andre the Giant vs Hulk Hogan

-Couldn't choose 1 so I made it a tie. Both are legendary no doubt, and rightfully so. They had amazing builds, epic finishes, and iconic figures. Personal preference though, this list is my fav in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back